Cardinal George Pell passes away following hip surgery complications

Australia’s most senior Catholic figure, Cardinal George Pell, has died in Rome, Italy due to complications following a recent hip replacement surgery.

According to The Australian, Cardinal Pell had been chatting with the anaesthetist in hospital when he suddenly went into cardiac arrest.

EWTN News Vatican correspondent Colm Flynn was one of the first people to publicly confirm the Cardinal’s death.

‘I’ve just spoken to his household, and can confirm the sad news of the passing of Cardinal George Pell at the age of 81. May he rest in peace,’ Flynn tweeted.

Colleagues in the Catholic Church were saddened by his passing and expressed their condolences to his family.

‘Cardinal Pell was a very significant and influential Church leader, both in Australia and internationally, deeply committed to Christian discipleship,’ said Melbourne Archbishop Peter Comensoli.

FmJLVbaX0AA-5e3.jpg
Cardinal Pell was the country’s highest-ranked official of the Catholic Church. Image Credit: Twitter/@colmflynnire

‘At this immediate moment, let our prayers go out to the God of Jesus Christ, whom Cardinal Pell wholeheartedly believed in and followed, that he may be welcomed into eternal life.’

‘May eternal light shine upon him, and may he now rest in peace and rise to glory in the Lord.’

Cardinal Pell, the highest ranking official of the Catholic Church from Australia, is characterised as a staunch advocate of traditional Catholic values. He is known to be unapologetically against same-sex marriage, homosexuality, the climate crisis, and abortion and contraception.

Cardinal Pell was born on June 8, 1941 to father George Arthur Pell, mother Margaret Lillian, and four siblings (all but one, David, have since passed).

He was ordained at the Vatican in 1966 after choosing his faith over what was a blossoming career in Aussie Rules football (AFL).

He served as the seventh head of Melbourne’s local Catholic community as archbishop from 1996-2001, and then as Archbishop of Sydney from 2001-2014.

pexels-photo-1261203.jpg
Cardinal Pell was known to be a key figure in the Catholic Church under Pope Francis. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Kai Pilger

In 2014, Cardinal Pell was appointed by Pope Francis as the leader of the then-new Secretariat for the Economy which was tasked to manage and oversee all of the Vatican’s financial activities.

Four years later in December of 2018 he was convicted of child sex abuse claims alleged to have abused two 13-year-old boys during his term as Archbishop of Melbourne.

After spending over a year in prison over the charges, he was freed in April 2020 after the High Court of Australia overturned his conviction.

The High Court ruled that all the evidence presented in the allegations raised against Cardinal Pell was not considered properly, according to reports.

For his part, Cardinal Pell has maintained his innocence on the matter.

Cardinal Pell is said to be the highest ranking official of the Catholic Church convicted and jailed for child sex abuse claims in the world.

Cardinal Pell returned to Rome the same year, where he remained until his death.

Source: YouTube/9 News Australia

Sponsored
Protect this less than human being for covering up his crimes, I am sure you would have agreed with his actions and threats against vcitims, Well I dont and wont stay silent about this sub human.
"I am sure you would have agreed with his actions and threats against vcitims". What a foolish individual you are TomDevine55. What an idiotic thing to say about me when you know zero about me or my belief systems. When and where did Cardinal Pell use "threats against victims"? Where is your evidence? Social media threads? How about you put up or shut up? If you wish to say inflammatory things like this about a dead person then show us your evidence, not hearsay, anecdotes, posts/threads on fb but real, hard evidence. Where is it, TomDevine55?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BJM
"I am sure you would have agreed with his actions and threats against vcitims". What a foolish individual you are TomDevine55. What an idiotic thing to say about me when you know zero about me or my belief systems. When and where did Cardinal Pell use "threats against victims"? Where is your evidence? Social media threads? How about you put up or shut up? If you wish to say inflammatory things like this about a dead person then show us your evidence, not hearsay, anecdotes, posts/threads on fb but real, hard evidence. Where is it, TomDevine55?
He was protected by the church, where is your evidence that the victims were not lying. Your support for the church and what happened when first hand evidence was presented and you call me foolish (just because someone said it happens then we should listen as happens with current assault cases. Do as I say not as I do is the churchs motto.

He was protected by the church, where is your evidence that the victims were not lying. Your support for the church and what happened when first hand evidence was presented and you call me foolish (just because someone said it happens then we should listen as happens with current assault cases. Do as I say not as I do is the churchs motto.
SEVEN High Court Judges in the highest court in Australia, looked at ALL of the evidence and acquitted him. They had nothing at all to do with the Catholic Church. Fully independent. The difference between you and the judges is that they look at hard evidence and you do not. Stop accusing someone who was acquitted and recently died. Shame on you.

• Sad
SEVEN High Court Judges in the highest court in Australia, looked at ALL of the evidence and acquitted him. They had nothing at all to do with the Catholic Church. Fully independent. The difference between you and the judges is that they look at hard evidence and you do not. Stop accusing someone who was acquitted and recently died. Shame on you.
The great news is he is dead before his time so if you believe in a higher power he was taken before his time for his sins and the world will forget about this thing once he is buried. George who?

The great news is he is dead before his time so if you believe in a higher power he was taken before his time for his sins and the world will forget about this thing once he is buried. George who?
81 years of age is hardly before his time. That's about average for a male in Australia. So, nothing sinister there.

That is illegal of you to say that. He is not a convicted sex offender after he was acquitted by the High Court of Australia unanimously by 7 judges. If someone said that of me, I would sue them. Get your facts correct before you speak MotherGoose or you may sound like a goose.
If you go back and look at my original post you will see that I was simply answering Verdexon's question, "Karma for what?" I said he was convicted, I did not say he was guilty. His conviction is a fact - it happened, even if it was subsequently quashed, and it is not "illegal" to state that fact. Under Australian law, a “quashed” conviction is one which has been set aside by the Court; it indicates failure to prove guilt, and affords someone the presumption of innocence, but it is NOT proof of innocence. According to findings released by Australia's Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse in 2020, Pell knew of child sexual abuse by clergy by the 1970s but did not take adequate action to address it. Furthermore, resorting to name-calling is a pretty pathetic way of expressing an opinion.

He's a convicted sex offender
A FALSELY convicted sex offender. I can’t believe people are so bitter! Before you start, I’ve been a victim of abuse. Also, I’m an agnostic, so I’m not looking at the topic through biased eyes.
None of us knows the truth of the allegations, but everyone feels they’re entitled to express an opinion. The man’s dead. Let him rest. Save your venom for the living, there are plenty of them to persecute. Life is so short I can’t understand why people would waste energy getting all steamed up about something they can’t change.

• Sad
Reactions: BJM and LBehan
Let those without sin cast the first stone….. No one on earth has the right to judge. Jesus was innocent but He was executed. If you do not believe in God, or your fellow human beings all you are left with is condemnation of anyone who does not fit your criteria. Let the man REST IN PEACE!
And I also believe he will now be judged by our maker.

The evidence was there that he did it and the power if the catholic church us beyond what we know and I believe it is this that had him freed

I love the verse Let those without sin cast the first stone. When Jesus said this he knew those throwing those stones commited greater sin. There is no sin much greater than sexually abusing children

1.Police don't arrest and charge someone on sexual assault charges unless they have enough evidence

2. A court does not convict someone on sexual assault conviction unless they have all the facts.

3. He was charged with 5 sexual abuse charges and he also knew off many sexual abuse allegations. A priest or member of the church should be a person that a child can trust and feel safe

4. The Catholic Church and the Vatican city is run exactly like a Mafia family .

5 Research the Catholic Church and the power beyond what people know.

6. The Catholic Churchs influence managed to clear George Pell.

I am a Christian and I'm not judging just stating facts.

The Catholic Church makes their own rules and not alot is actually biblical.

I can give you a huge list

A FALSELY convicted sex offender. I can’t believe people are so bitter! Before you start, I’ve been a victim of abuse. Also, I’m an agnostic, so I’m not looking at the topic through biased eyes.
None of us knows the truth of the allegations, but everyone feels they’re entitled to express an opinion. The man’s dead. Let him rest. Save your venom for the living, there are plenty of them to persecute. Life is so short I can’t understand why people would waste energy getting all steamed up about something they can’t change.
Well, a verdict is simply a conclusion based on what can or can't be proved in court and may be erroneous. A conviction doesn't mean he's guilty, and quashing the conviction does not mean he's innocent.

The Royal Commission concluded that Pell turned a blind eye to paedophile priests.

George Pell's activities were known as far back as the 70's. There were rumours and complaints circulating amongst Catholics. They were the reason my children were not educated in Catholic schools and why I stopped attending church. Even though Parents cannot negotiate the fight for their children and go to the law for help , doesn't stop them warning each other. I know several people who are victims who chose to remain under the radar. So the courts only get half the picture from people who were children and could hardly understand what what was happening let alone vocalise and s be believed.
His position in the hierarchy of the church doesn't make him more innocent. Try to remember what the R C church is protecting ..POWER !!!!!! MONEY !!!!!!!! of course the mantra recommended to Pedo's if caught DENY DENY DENY

Wether guilty of abuse himself or not he knowingly aided others to abuse and was totally dismissive of children who had been abused. He knew exactly what was going on so was as guilty as the the ones physically abusing these children. The time has come for his final judgement and I would think and hope he will be jumping onto the down elivator for an eternity in hell.

Let those without sin cast the first stone….. No one on earth has the right to judge. Jesus was innocent but He was executed. If you do not believe in God, or your fellow human beings all you are left with is condemnation of anyone who does not fit your criteria. Let the man REST IN PEACE!
However sadly the victims of child abuse or victims of those who protected child abusers, can never in their entire life, REST IN PEACE.

• Sad
George Pell's activities were known as far back as the 70's. There were rumours and complaints circulating amongst Catholics. They were the reason my children were not educated in Catholic schools and why I stopped attending church. Even though Parents cannot negotiate the fight for their children and go to the law for help , doesn't stop them warning each other. I know several people who are victims who chose to remain under the radar. So the courts only get half the picture from people who were children and could hardly understand what what was happening let alone vocalise and s be believed.
His position in the hierarchy of the church doesn't make him more innocent. Try to remember what the R C church is protecting ..POWER !!!!!! MONEY !!!!!!!! of course the mantra recommended to Pedo's if caught DENY DENY DENY
HEAR HEAR

Could this be Karma
Karma? Where do you people get your brains from..Death is Karma? I will predict that each and everyone of us will die.. and it will seem a short time .. Please think about what you are saying... IS THE DEATH OF PEOPLE KARMA? I have a much different interpretation of death and it can be beautiful NOT KARMA.. put the brain into gear before you open the mouth please.

Vatican spokespersons say that it is impossible to estimate the exact amount of its wealth, but global financial institutions estimate it to amount between $10 billion and $15 billion, making it one of the world's most wealthy and tax-exempt organizations.1 Mar 2022

Vatican spokespersons say that it is impossible to estimate the exact amount of its wealth, but global financial institutions estimate it to amount between $10 billion and $15 billion, making it one of the world's most wealthy and tax-exempt organizations.1 Mar 2022
Dear Susanne Rose... Have you ever heard of a City called New York?
New York is the wealthiest city in the world⁠—home to 345,600 millionaires with a total private wealth that exceeds $3 trillion. (2022)
It is also possible that Casablanca in Morocco is high up there too. I DONT dispute that the Vatican is NOT rich ..BUT i DO DISPUTE that it is the richest city in the world. I am not sure that it is classed as a city .. the numbers dont add up as far as I can determine.
Please check your stats before spruiking.

Karma? Where do you people get your brains from..Death is Karma? I will predict that each and everyone of us will die.. and it will seem a short time .. Please think about what you are saying... IS THE DEATH OF PEOPLE KARMA? I have a much different interpretation of death and it can be beautiful NOT KARMA.. put the brain into gear before you open the mouth please.
This person knew of the atrocities and did NOTHING. This was a sin and punishable by law in this country! Maybe focus on the current news item and not generalize with the rest of the worlds issues. just saying ….