SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Can supplements or diet reduce symptoms of arthritis? Here’s what the evidence says

Arthritis is a disease that affects body joints. There are more than 100 types of arthritis, with more than 350 million people affected around the globe, including about four million Australians.

DALL·E 2022-08-30 15.20.46 - woman getting relief from arthritis, digital art.png
Older Aussies have suffered with arthritis for decades. Can certain supplements help? Credit: OpenAI

Arthritis causes pain and disability and commonly reduces quality of life. In Australia in 2015, about 54,000 people aged 45–64 couldn’t work due to severe arthritis. Their median income was only a quarter of the income of full-time workers who did not have arthritis. So it is not surprising some people want to try different diets, supplements or therapies to see if they alleviate symptoms or help them gain a sense of control over their condition.

However, a major review found specific supplements or food components were unlikely to lead to significant improvements in arthritis outcomes such as stiffness, pain and function.

The main nutrition recommendation was to adopt healthy eating patterns.

Remind me, what causes arthritis? And what are the symptoms?

Risk factors for developing arthritis include ones you can’t control – such as genetics, sex, and age – and some you may be able to, such as smoking, repetitive injuries, body weight, occupation and some infections. Types of arthritis include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, juvenile arthritis, gout, systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus) and scleroderma.

Common symptoms include:

- pain
- stiffness or reduced joint movement
- swelling, redness and warmth in the joints.

Less specific symptoms include tiredness, weight loss or feeling unwell.

So what does the evidence say about supplements?

The European Alliance of Associations for Rheumatology, the expert European group on arthritis, recently published a detailed critique on diet and supplement use in arthritis. It synthesised findings from 24 systematic reviews of existing research as well as an additional 150 extra studies, covering more than 80 different dietary components and supplements.

The alliance identified there were limited studies on each individual product with the majority of studies being of low quality. This means that for most supplements they couldn’t make recommendations about whether or not to use them.

However, for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, although most studies were of low or moderate quality, a few supplements had positive effects.

Vitamin D, chondroitin and glucosamine

For osteoarthritis, there was moderate-quality evidence supporting a small positive effect on pain and function for taking vitamin D, chondroitin and glucosamine (both compounds found in cartilage) supplements.

Here, moderate quality means although the studies had some limitations and their results should be interpreted with caution, they can be used to guide recommendations.
This suggests people could choose to try these common supplements for a few months and see whether they get any benefit, but stop taking them if there is no improvement in their symptoms.

Fish oil

For rheumatoid arthritis, there was moderate quality evidence for a small positive effect on pain for omega-3 (fish) oils.
Again, people could try these supplements for a few months and see whether they get any benefit, but stop taking them if there is no improvement.

Other supplements

For all other arthritis categories, and other specific dietary components or supplements, the evidence was rated as low to very low (see tables 1–5 in this link).
This means any improvements in arthritis outcomes could be due to chance or bias, with positive results more likely to be published, or potential bias occurring when a trial was sponsored by a supplement manufacturer.

What does it all mean?

Current research indicates it’s unlikely specific foods, supplements or dietary components affect arthritis outcomes to a large degree.
However, given the higher risk for heart disease associated with arthritis, the recommendation is to have a healthy diet and lifestyle in order to improve your overall health and wellbeing.

So how do you improve your health and wellbeing? Here are five key things to consider:

1. Eat a healthy, varied diet

Eating food – rather than taking supplements – means you get the other nutrients that foods contain, including healthy sources of fat, protein, dietary fibre and a range of vitamin and minerals essential to maintain a healthy body.

This is why the recommendation for people with arthritis is to eat a healthy diet, because vegetables, fruit, legumes and wholegrains contain a range of phytonutrients needed to help dampen down oxidative stress triggered by inflammatory processes associated with arthritis.

A healthy diet includes foods rich in omega-3 fats such as fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sardines), chia seeds, flaxseed oil, walnuts, canola oil, and vitamin D (eggs, fish, and milk or margarine fortified with vitamin D). And don’t forget sun exposure, which allows the body to produce vitamin D.

2. Avoid alcohol

Alcohol intake should be discussed with your doctor as it can interact with other treatments. Small amounts of alcohol are unlikely to have negative impacts on arthritis, unless you have other health issues like liver disease or you take certain medications such as methotrexate or leflunomide. For rheumatoid arthritis, moderate alcohol consumption could increase the risk of arthritis flare ups. Alcohol can also increase the risk of gout flare ups.

3. Aim for a healthy weight

Aiming for a healthy weight can help arthritis by reducing the load on affected joints such as hips and knees, and by boosting your intake of healthy foods rich in phytonutrients.

Ask your doctor for support to achieve well managed, intentional weight loss if you’re carrying excess weight. You may need referral to an accredited practising dietitian for personalised medical nutrition therapy or to a physiotherapist or exercise physiologist for specific help to improve mobility and physical activity.

4. Be cautious with supplements

If you decide to try specific complimentary therapies or dietary supplements, discuss potential side-effects or interactions with your regular medicines with your doctor and pharmacist.

Try the products for a few months (or as long as one container lasts) so you can monitor any side-effects versus your sense of wellbeing, reduction in use of pain medications and the cost. If you’re not getting any benefit then spend that money on more healthy foods instead.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and written by Clare Collins, Laureate Professor in Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Newcastle.

Last edited:
I have psoriasis since November 79. In December 91 I got a pain on the sole of my left foot. Four years later the same pain started in my right foot. I now limped badly and couldn't walk down stairs. In 2000 I was informed I had psoriatic arthritis and in 2001 the arthritis spread throughout my body affecting my lower spine, upper spine, neck and shoulders. It also affected my elbows (neither arm is straight) and although my thumbs are OK none of my fingers point in the right direction. I can post a photo. I couldn't lift a full mug of coffee unless I used both hands and I had lost almost all my flexibility. At that time in my mid 50's I was out of the workforce. No more panel beating for me. This happened while I was living in cold, windy, wet Auckland. I got about 6 weeks relief from pain each year (late January to early March) while the weather was warm. I returned to Qld in April 04 and my arthritic pain reduced somewhat within a few days. In January 2010 I visited a naturopath who after hooking me up to a programme in her laptop suggested a diet. My diet is gluten free, no dairy (this is anything from a cow) no nightshade vegetables or caffeine and I cut back on sugar and alcohol. Today I briskly walk over 2 kilometres most days, can pick almost anything up off the floor, remarkably kneel down on one or both knees where I have rheumatoid arthritis and there is almost no pain anywhere. For several years I took Swisse fish oil, firstly in liquid form then when it became unavailable I switched to capsules. Several years ago I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and the medical profession took me off fish oil. I have my diet filed away somewhere on my computer and if anyone wants to try it let me know.

I have a fractured T8 spinal cord, I have now Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritus, I just turned 61. I suffer so so much. I rub Dencorub on the very painful areas. I take 2 x Osteo Panedol 3 x a day. And my GP has me now on Oxycodeine tablets 5mg 2 x day, which I hate. I need to get my Vitamin D up and then only can I get injections. I am on 1 Vitamin D tablet once a month. It is almost 2am now, and I just can't sleep. Its torture. I don't drink alcohol.

I have psoriasis since November 79. In December 91 I got a pain on the sole of my left foot. Four years later the same pain started in my right foot. I now limped badly and couldn't walk down stairs. In 2000 I was informed I had psoriatic arthritis and in 2001 the arthritis spread throughout my body affecting my lower spine, upper spine, neck and shoulders. It also affected my elbows (neither arm is straight) and although my thumbs are OK none of my fingers point in the right direction. I can post a photo. I couldn't lift a full mug of coffee unless I used both hands and I had lost almost all my flexibility. At that time in my mid 50's I was out of the workforce. No more panel beating for me. This happened while I was living in cold, windy, wet Auckland. I got about 6 weeks relief from pain each year (late January to early March) while the weather was warm. I returned to Qld in April 04 and my arthritic pain reduced somewhat within a few days. In January 2010 I visited a naturopath who after hooking me up to a programme in her laptop suggested a diet. My diet is gluten free, no dairy (this is anything from a cow) no nightshade vegetables or caffeine and I cut back on sugar and alcohol. Today I briskly walk over 2 kilometres most days, can pick almost anything up off the floor, remarkably kneel down on one or both knees where I have rheumatoid arthritis and there is almost no pain anywhere. For several years I took Swisse fish oil, firstly in liquid form then when it became unavailable I switched to capsules. Several years ago I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and the medical profession took me off fish oil. I have my diet filed away somewhere on my computer and if anyone wants to try it let me know.
Yes please, for your diet .... my email adress is [email protected]
Thank you

Reactions: Ezzy and Vicki.E.
I started taking one Celery seed extract 16000 mg capsule for arthritis about 30 years ago , it definitely helped the pain in my hands . I started taking One Tumeric capsule about 8 years ago for knee pain it seemed to work until both knees seemed to ge worse , was booked in for knee replacement this month until a friend told me about NZ Green Lipped Mussel . I take I 1900 capsule every morning and I have put the operation off for the present time These natural products seemed to work for me virtually no pain
regards Lyndon

Thank you for sharing your story. I’m so glad you are much better now. I would love to try your special diet please. 🙏

Reactions: Ezzy
I would very much appreciate a copy of your diet plan. Many thanks

Yes please, I too would like a copy of that diet. Email: [email protected]

I take turmeric for osteoarthritis.
It works for me.
Tumeric is a fantastic anti-inflammatory. Tumeric latte is so easy to make & tastes nourishing too!
It is always best to check with y
I take turmeric for osteoarthritis.
It works for me.

our GP & pharmicist if its OK for you to take tumeric if you are on any medications. Some antibiotics and tumeric don't go well together. I also understand that if you have kidney disease it is best not to take tumeric.

Wow! That is truly an amazing and wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it with us. So happy that you are now free of arthritic pain! Did the naturopath take you off potatoes as well? I have heard they can contribute to arthtitic pain.

I would be very interested to read your recipe if you could kindly share it with us when you have the time.
I am confused why the doctor took you off Fish Oil when you were doagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation. Is that because they put you on a blood thinner?

My mother always taught me that we are what we eat! I believe there is a lot of truth in that and that our diet if carefully planned can keep us healthy.

I started taking one Celery seed extract 16000 mg capsule for arthritis about 30 years ago , it definitely helped the pain in my hands . I started taking One Tumeric capsule about 8 years ago for knee pain it seemed to work until both knees seemed to ge worse , was booked in for knee replacement this month until a friend told me about NZ Green Lipped Mussel . I take I 1900 capsule every morning and I have put the operation off for the present time These natural products seemed to work for me virtually no pain
regards Lyndon
My mother says the celery seeds have certainly helped her. She got arthritis in her fingers in her forties, took celery seeds and has been free of arthritic pain for 40years!

regards Lyndon
That is really fantastic that you found a cure! I have heard that green lipped mussle can help some people.

With so many folk, including myself requesting a copy, would you possibly be able to share this here rather than replying to every email please? Some people may not see this article for a few days & your recipe will be here for everyone to see. Thankyou.

Hello WideBayMike, I would very much like to take you up on the offer of your diet. I am seventy-three and was continually active up until covid hit us, and it really has done a lot of people some damage. For me, it was the beginning of the struggle which escalated over the next two years, as did my weight. The more immobile I was, the more weight I put on. I usually only eat one meal a day now, but I still am gaining due to constant sharp pain all over my body. I do my best to always eat healthy, but with rising costs it is not always possible to get enough of the right protein. Doctors here are loathe to prescribe stronger medication than Panadol Osteo in case we become addicted to the stronger pain killers. I am also prone to falls which has damaged parts of my body causing added pain to the growing list of arthritic pain, and that is why I would love to try some sort of pain relief other than pills if it really works.
I admire the fact that you persisted and went with the diet and that it has worked for you, and I do hope that you continue to have a full lifetime from now on.

Hi, me again. I forgot to add my email address:- [email protected]. I also must add that I used to smoke and drink but I quit it all around 30 years ago, but I imagine that some of the damage was done by that age. We never really are taught strongly enough when we are teenagers that those two items will do the damage in your later years, just like sun damage. Well thank you again for the information you presented to us and I am sure we will all be looking forward to hearing from you again.
Kind Regards
Vertho.

Hi Guy and Girls

Apologies to those of you who have been waiting to hear from me. Firstly I had a trip to Brisbane for a scheduled operation which was only minor to have a cancerous growth removed from my bladder. A week after that something happened that made me visit the local hospital to get things checked post operation. I was given the all clear but while I was there my blood pressure was checked and my pulse was 40 - 42. So I was put in the back of an ambulance and taken to Bundaberg Base Hospital and after stabilising the heart rate I was released the next morning.

A few days after that my hard drive died and I lost everything in my computer, including different copies of my diet and how it has evolved over the 12 years I have been on it. The plan is later this morning in this thread I will post the basic rules I follow, what I eat and very importantly what I don't eat.

Mike

Reactions: Ezzy and Juliebc
Hi Guy and Girls

Apologies to those of you who have been waiting to hear from me. Firstly I had a trip to Brisbane for a scheduled operation which was only minor to have a cancerous growth removed from my bladder. A week after that something happened that made me visit the local hospital to get things checked post operation. I was given the all clear but while I was there my blood pressure was checked and my pulse was 40 - 42. So I was put in the back of an ambulance and taken to Bundaberg Base Hospital and after stabilising the heart rate I was released the next morning.

A few days after that my hard drive died and I lost everything in my computer, including different copies of my diet and how it has evolved over the 12 years I have been on it. The plan is later this morning in this thread I will post the basic rules I follow, what I eat and very importantly what I don't eat.

Mike
I hope you are well and thank you