Battle of the Generations: Is Smartphone Dominance Excluding Our Seniors?

A recent GransNet discussion revealed that seniors are feeling increasingly excluded in a world rapidly moving towards smartphone integration. In an age of digital parking payments and app-based bank verification, seniors fear they're being left behind.

shutterstock_552964648.jpg
Are you embracing the smartphone? Or are you avoiding it? Tell us all about it! Image source: Shutterstock.

As technology continues to infiltrate every aspect of our daily lives, some seniors are finding themselves struggling to adapt to the increasing reliance on smartphones. In a recent GransNet discussion, an original poster pointed out that they are now expected to pay for parking through their phone, as well as verify their identity via a banking app, but they neither want nor can afford a smartphone.

One commenter suggested that ‘technology is designed to make life easier for governments, local authorities, banks, supermarkets, and every other aspect of life, rather than for the consumer’. They argued that future generations will have no choice but to accept wholesale integration of smartphones into their lives, predicting that the removal of cash transactions is near.

It seems not everyone in the GransNet community is ready to embrace the smartphone revolution. Another commenter detailed their contentment with a 'dumb' phone, stating that they are ‘not complete technophobes but life is quite complicated enough without any more devices.’ Many seniors are often already well-equipped with tablets and personal computers, using them for internet banking and communication.

Others, however, do appreciate the convenience smartphones offer. One user admitted, ‘Wouldn’t want to be without mine now, so handy for all sorts of things.’ This comment highlighted those who are successfully adapting to app-based services and enjoy the benefits that smartphones bring. But there are some who have refused to join the smartphone brigade altogether. ‘I don’t own a smartphone, or any other kind of mobile phone, I hate them,’ said one user, recounting the confusion they felt after receiving an email from their doctor’s surgery instructing them to use an app for appointments and prescriptions.

People who have embraced smartphones warn that individual preferences will eventually become irrelevant, as the world moves towards complete smartphone dependence. ‘Like them or not, your preference not to use a smartphone will soon make a difference to you, because there will be no alternative to using one for so many of the everyday things we do,’ warned another user. Just as their children and grandchildren rely on their phones for everything, soon seniors may be forced into adopting the technology.

But security concerns loom for older generations, who are understandably worried about the risks of digital banking. One commenter shared a conversation they had with a software engineer, who recommended Apple products as the safest option for internet banking (Please note, members, I haven’t been able to find any research to back this statement up).

While the world becomes increasingly reliant on smartphones, it's important to recognise that those who haven't had a lifetime of exposure to this kind of technology may not be able to adapt as easily. The same commenter pointed out that many job applications now require smartphone access, and with bank branches closing rapidly, having a banking app is becoming essential for conducting financial business. They argued that smartphones are ‘not that complicated to use’.

Yet, some seniors prefer to keep their mobile phone usage to a minimum, expressing concerns about the impact of smartphones on their lives. One user cited their hearing impairment as a reason for sticking to their basic phone, which allows them to hear conversations clearly. They also highlighted the potential risks of having one's entire life on a phone, referencing friends who experienced breakdowns after losing their smartphones.

As the dependence on smartphones continues to grow, it's crucial to consider how to ensure all demographics can keep up with the rapid pace of technological advancements. While some seniors are embracing the benefits of smartphones, others either can't afford or simply prefer not to use them. As this GransNet conversation shows, many seniors feel excluded and overwhelmed by the increasing expectation to rely on smartphones.

As our society moves towards a more technologically integrated future, finding a way to bridge the digital divide is essential for our seniors who are struggling to keep up with these rapid changes. It's time for governments, local authorities, and community leaders to reassess their approach to these issues, with empathy and understanding of the unique challenges faced by the older generations. So, what do you think? Are you comfortable with smartphones being integrated into our everyday lives? Or would you rather avoid them? Please share your opinions with me in the comments section below!

Sponsored
agree
A recent GransNet discussion revealed that seniors are feeling increasingly excluded in a world rapidly moving towards smartphone integration. In an age of digital parking payments and app-based bank verification, seniors fear they're being left behind.

View attachment 17364
Are you embracing the smartphone? Or are you avoiding it? Tell us all about it! Image source: Shutterstock.

As technology continues to infiltrate every aspect of our daily lives, some seniors are finding themselves struggling to adapt to the increasing reliance on smartphones. In a recent GransNet discussion, an original poster pointed out that they are now expected to pay for parking through their phone, as well as verify their identity via a banking app, but they neither want nor can afford a smartphone.

One commenter suggested that ‘technology is designed to make life easier for governments, local authorities, banks, supermarkets, and every other aspect of life, rather than for the consumer’. They argued that future generations will have no choice but to accept wholesale integration of smartphones into their lives, predicting that the removal of cash transactions is near.

It seems not everyone in the GransNet community is ready to embrace the smartphone revolution. Another commenter detailed their contentment with a 'dumb' phone, stating that they are ‘not complete technophobes but life is quite complicated enough without any more devices.’ Many seniors are often already well-equipped with tablets and personal computers, using them for internet banking and communication.

Others, however, do appreciate the convenience smartphones offer. One user admitted, ‘Wouldn’t want to be without mine now, so handy for all sorts of things.’ This comment highlighted those who are successfully adapting to app-based services and enjoy the benefits that smartphones bring. But there are some who have refused to join the smartphone brigade altogether. ‘I don’t own a smartphone, or any other kind of mobile phone, I hate them,’ said one user, recounting the confusion they felt after receiving an email from their doctor’s surgery instructing them to use an app for appointments and prescriptions.

People who have embraced smartphones warn that individual preferences will eventually become irrelevant, as the world moves towards complete smartphone dependence. ‘Like them or not, your preference not to use a smartphone will soon make a difference to you, because there will be no alternative to using one for so many of the everyday things we do,’ warned another user. Just as their children and grandchildren rely on their phones for everything, soon seniors may be forced into adopting the technology.

But security concerns loom for older generations, who are understandably worried about the risks of digital banking. One commenter shared a conversation they had with a software engineer, who recommended Apple products as the safest option for internet banking (Please note, members, I haven’t been able to find any research to back this statement up).

While the world becomes increasingly reliant on smartphones, it's important to recognise that those who haven't had a lifetime of exposure to this kind of technology may not be able to adapt as easily. The same commenter pointed out that many job applications now require smartphone access, and with bank branches closing rapidly, having a banking app is becoming essential for conducting financial business. They argued that smartphones are ‘not that complicated to use’.

Yet, some seniors prefer to keep their mobile phone usage to a minimum, expressing concerns about the impact of smartphones on their lives. One user cited their hearing impairment as a reason for sticking to their basic phone, which allows them to hear conversations clearly. They also highlighted the potential risks of having one's entire life on a phone, referencing friends who experienced breakdowns after losing their smartphones.

As the dependence on smartphones continues to grow, it's crucial to consider how to ensure all demographics can keep up with the rapid pace of technological advancements. While some seniors are embracing the benefits of smartphones, others either can't afford or simply prefer not to use them. As this GransNet conversation shows, many seniors feel excluded and overwhelmed by the increasing expectation to rely on smartphones.

As our society moves towards a more technologically integrated future, finding a way to bridge the digital divide is essential for our seniors who are struggling to keep up with these rapid changes. It's time for governments, local authorities, and community leaders to reassess their approach to these issues, with empathy and understanding of the unique challenges faced by the older generations. So, what do you think? Are you comfortable with smartphones being integrated into our everyday lives? Or would you rather avoid them? Please share your opinions with me in the comments section below!

View attachment 17364

I have learnt to use smartphones computers. But I find going cashless a challenge. I feel rushed at the checkout and prefer tobe served rather than use self service. After leaving the store I have to check my reciept as there is usually an error for example sale goods are quite often charged at shelf price. When using cash I can easily pick up on the error but when using a card you don't realise how much you are spending. To querie a charge is a whole process that feels like it is in place to discourge you from questio ing prices.

I do think a lot of people are left behind. But they don’t lose sleep over scams and worry about hacking. I bet they know how to smile at people, and have a pleasant conversation too. Something the younger generations don’t understand. They don’t give eye contact anymore, and are so busy involved in social media and I chats. Also hours of their lives wasted on TikTok and Facebook etc, lining up to be a target for bullying. I really think it’s sad that we have gone too far with sma consumption!

I
I do think a lot of people are left behind. But they don’t lose sleep over scams and worry about hacking. I bet they know how to smile at people, and have a pleasant conversation too. Something the younger generations don’t understand. They don’t give eye contact anymore, and are so busy involved in social media and I chats. Also hours of their lives wasted on TikTok and Facebook etc, lining up to be a target for bullying. I really think it’s sad that we have gone too far with smart
I do think a lot of people are left behind. But they don’t lose sleep over scams and worry about hacking. I bet they know how to smile at people, and have a pleasant conversation too. Something the younger generations don’t understand. They don’t give eye contact anymore, and are so busy involved in social media and I chats. Also hours of their lives wasted on TikTok and Facebook etc, lining up to be a target for bullying. I really think it’s sad that we have gone too far with sma consumption!
I do agree this generation has problems of not being able to shut off from social media ,it's sad to see them all the time with their heads down over their phones. But it's like a drug even some older people are caught up in it. I was at RPH last week and only 2 people in the waiting room weren't scrolling or talking on their mobile. Once upon a time you could have a good old chat with someone waiting not anymore

I use to pay my bills etc. using my phone until I got hacked twice. Now I have gone back to paying in cash. If I’m forced to pay using my phone or card, I’ll have to refuse to pay the bill. What are they going to do? They are the ones who will be refusing my money!!!!!

I do agree that this generation has problems shutting off from social media . Sad to see them heads down all the time over their mobiles . It's become like a drug or a extra body part,some older people are also caught up in it. In waiting rooms and dining areas in shopping centres they just scroll all the time not having real conversations at all ,if you speak to them they hardly raise their heads or get annoyed because you've interrupted them

I love my iPhone, I can’t imagine how I’d cope without it. .I do everything on line. Even when out for dinner this evening I booked appointments for my husband and myself for eye tests lol. I move money around at the drop of a hat, book and pay for concert tickets and do my shopping on line.

I love my iPhone, I can’t imagine how I’d cope without it. .I do everything on line. Even when out for dinner this evening I booked appointments for my husband and myself for eye tests lol. I move money around at the drop of a hat, book and pay for concert tickets and do my shopping on line.
I do a lot of that too but I don't spend time on Tic tok , fb,Twitter or podcasts

The biggest issue is the cost of a Smartphone to preform the functions required for any sort of Payment or Bank interaction. This excludes a lot of older people as they cannot afford a $1500 smartphone let alone the Mobile plan to allow Data and Voice each month, specially when a lot are on Single Pensions. Think about a cheap plan some are $20 a month but low Data, then the cost of the mobile ???? The other major issue is Mobile coverage outside Capital cites is very poor to none. Australia is a big place and very poor coverage for country locations. Limiting them to only Telstra which do not have cheap plans for Seniors. Look up the costs to see yourself. That is a major issue for any senior person let alone trying to learn how to use the Smartphone. Look at your Grandparents, even great Grandparents.
My Vivo phone only cost $150 and does everything l need. No need to pay for an Iphone.

And why were you doing all of that while out for dinner? We complain about the younger ones always on their phone .....couldn't you have done it at home?

I embrace technology, I'm pretty clued up and enjoy it,it tests me and I don't want to be left behind. Unfortunately there's a certain amount of seniors that don't trust it. They could probably circumvent it but refuse to do so,I have many friends like that that won't even try saying it's too hard even when I offer to take them through the basics,some don't even own a mobile phone
I bet you have children and grandchildren that showed you what to do. Some of us do not have people that can guide us with technology. I'm basic and my iphone is basic.

Some of us do not have children or grandchildren that can show us the ropes. That's what older people need to be shown the ropes.

I bet you have children and grandchildren that showed you what to do. Some of us do not have people that can guide us with technology. I'm basic and my iphone is basic.
Some of us do not have children or grandchildren that can show us the ropes. That's what older people need to be shown the ropes.
No I worked it out by myself as with everything trial and error.Even sorted couple things for my children,being elderly I find it a comfort but don't let it rule me. I volunteer at a Primary school so need to be on the ball littlelies are very astute so you need to be ahead of them

Hello to All Seniors here,
I am 80yrs in 4 weeks time. I have no problem with SmartPhones, Computers, Laptops or Tablets.
There are so many issues here ...
Prices of using your Smart Phone and your computer.
DO NOT play games, listen to music or watch movies on your Smart (DH phone)... That is where most of your pricing and money adds up.
I pay $83 per month for My Pixel 6 pro phone AND my Laptop AND my Desktop Computer and Tablet. I am with Telstra, because other companies cannot provide any worthwhile service in a Rural Area.
I am partially deaf and the smartphone transmit a call into my hearing aids AND USES an onboard speech to Text installed on my phone so that it is 100% private.
I play ONE online game on my computer of 1-2hours per day.
NEVER EVER use your phone for Banking Online, Paying for goods or input-ing your banking details ON THE PHONE. Avoid using Credit Cards online, Use PayPal, they will verify your information and store it in the best possible way and PayPal never provides your card details to anyone.
The hackers are already cracking phones this is how they are getting so much money ... How many phone call scamming or phishing call do you get
on your SO-Called Smart Phone? Has Optus and Telstra been Hacked? Of Course they have.
Do you put ALL your personal and computer information online in a CLOUD? What is the Cloud? It is nothing more that another giant computer collecting information ... Do you know that Tik Tok is own by China AND THEY HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION ABOUT Tik Tok users at their finger-tips.
Don't load APPS because someone tells you to. DO YOUR RESEARCH .. Ask a computer savvy person .. there are also very good research websites BUT they are ones that have been around for sometime ... Snopes will tell you if an email is scam or not .. www.snopes.com ..
The Cloud is not safe .. It is NOT a matter of IF they hack the so-called CLOUD it is when and the authorities and big companies are less interested in Cloud being hack and MORE interested in the fact that at some point the whole damn thing will collapse and where does your information go then? I don't use Cloud.
@OzBrown ... If you are going to advise persons then SPELL THE ADVICE CORRECT FIRST. .It is not WhatApps .. it WhatsApp... just leaving out the S can lead you to a phishing or scam site.
If you want to talk to Family, Friends or Associates overseas or in Aust. FREE Use WhatsApp, and DONT put down older folk like you are the bigtime SmartAss and belittle them. Show them and most of them will learn and know. Encourage them and they will surpass you in IT information.
Now important information WhatsApp encrypts your calls, texting from your phone and also from the phone or computer that you are interacting with.
Avoid using Credit Cards Online... Use Bpay for bills DONT ALLOW COMPANIES TO WITHDRAW PAYMENTS FROM YOUR BANK unless you are 100% trusting of them... I pay most of my purchases with PayPal ... In 1999, PayPal had a big shake up and improved their security to one of worlds best sites. BUT REMEMBER THAT NO WEBSITE IS FOOLPROOF. they all can be compromised. I have full access to my banking ON MY COMPUTER WITH HIGH POWERED Anti-Virus programs...(phones don't have their capacity .. Google has a special scripting method to reduce the size of files.

Follow the advice of Banks, Big Businesses that they provide you How to stay safe online. Again, even they have their limits too.
NEVER EVER click on a LINK in an email, Text or an Advertisement online unless you are trusting of the site and you KNOW THEM.
Webcrawler (Spiders) are constantly looking for and collecting information for hacking use, so DON'T feed them.

Reactions: Johnp5370

View attachment 17364

Of course wait till the hackers work out a way to emulate your phone and sim etc, then the s**t will hit the fan.
Also
and using a physical $50 note as an example that note is still worth $50-. If such as digital payments, credit cards are used then after the chain of 50 transactions the $50 is instead only worth about $5-. Because of the card fee at each transaction most of the $50- is in the hands of the banks.
I should have said ""After a chain or trail of say 30 transactions""
Of course wait till the hackers work out a way to emulate your phone and sim etc, then the s**t will hit the fan.
Also
After a chain or trail of say 50 transactions and using a physical $50 note as an example that note is still worth $50-. If such as digital payments, credit cards are used then after the chain of 50 transactions the $50 is instead only worth about $5-. Because of the card fee at each transaction most of the $50- is in the hands of the banks.

Reactions: Pat T and NotNats
What all these new tech devices/companies forget to realise is there are many people out there that are not equipped to use or even to buy this stuff. I have been using & dealing with computers & new tech since I got my first Commodore 64 & IBM computers. But to be honest I'm even starting to find it hard to keep up with all the new stuff or updates that now seem to be happening daily. And none of these companies care about any of these people, it really is "This is the Way" and if you don't use it, you get hit with higher fees or having to find some type of transport to a place that still has face-to-face dealing. New Tech does have its place but at the same time so does the old tech or no tech.

Reactions: 68autobug and Pat T
Tell me about it.
I tried to buy tickets to an event online and was denied the opportunity to print them to paper.
Rather, I was prompted to send them to my digital envelope. My phone blew a raspberry and pretty much did a digital spit in my eye. Also, on another occasion, I was prompted to go to my phone pay (whatever the hell it was called). I am not adverse to having a go, until the phone says, Pffff ... don't have the capability to perform this function.
Not only is this digital revolution discriminating against those who cannot cope with the changes, also, it is a non-event for those who cannot afford the phone to do the job. Grrrrr!!!
I never thought I would be one of those old folk who thought things were better when. But here I am.
My husband had an older Samsung phone. An app had to be updated. Phone was not compatible. Had to buy a new phone. Phones and iPads are only good for about 4 years before their functions start slowing down. I have a 5 y.o. iPad and a new one. Even the new updates are behind on the older one. Pensioners can’t afford $1500 every 4 years for a new phone.

As a 74 year old Male who can do many things, My Smartphone [ANDROID] is beyond Me and anyone else who looks at it. It is only a few months old, as I lost My other phone, also only a few months old, and bought a more expensive model [same brand] and then received My old phone back. I am now debating whether to keep the new phone or go back to the other phone [ smaller also] I tried to buy the same phone My Son & Wife have, but they no longer make them. I have mastered New Smart TVs, Washing Machines etc, but Mobile phones [and some computer programs] are Now just too hard for My old Brain. My Memory isn't the best which just makes it more difficult.. because there are so many things to remember. 68autobug