Battle of the Generations: Is Smartphone Dominance Excluding Our Seniors?

A recent GransNet discussion revealed that seniors are feeling increasingly excluded in a world rapidly moving towards smartphone integration. In an age of digital parking payments and app-based bank verification, seniors fear they're being left behind.

shutterstock_552964648.jpg
Are you embracing the smartphone? Or are you avoiding it? Tell us all about it! Image source: Shutterstock.

As technology continues to infiltrate every aspect of our daily lives, some seniors are finding themselves struggling to adapt to the increasing reliance on smartphones. In a recent GransNet discussion, an original poster pointed out that they are now expected to pay for parking through their phone, as well as verify their identity via a banking app, but they neither want nor can afford a smartphone.

One commenter suggested that ‘technology is designed to make life easier for governments, local authorities, banks, supermarkets, and every other aspect of life, rather than for the consumer’. They argued that future generations will have no choice but to accept wholesale integration of smartphones into their lives, predicting that the removal of cash transactions is near.

It seems not everyone in the GransNet community is ready to embrace the smartphone revolution. Another commenter detailed their contentment with a 'dumb' phone, stating that they are ‘not complete technophobes but life is quite complicated enough without any more devices.’ Many seniors are often already well-equipped with tablets and personal computers, using them for internet banking and communication.

Others, however, do appreciate the convenience smartphones offer. One user admitted, ‘Wouldn’t want to be without mine now, so handy for all sorts of things.’ This comment highlighted those who are successfully adapting to app-based services and enjoy the benefits that smartphones bring. But there are some who have refused to join the smartphone brigade altogether. ‘I don’t own a smartphone, or any other kind of mobile phone, I hate them,’ said one user, recounting the confusion they felt after receiving an email from their doctor’s surgery instructing them to use an app for appointments and prescriptions.

People who have embraced smartphones warn that individual preferences will eventually become irrelevant, as the world moves towards complete smartphone dependence. ‘Like them or not, your preference not to use a smartphone will soon make a difference to you, because there will be no alternative to using one for so many of the everyday things we do,’ warned another user. Just as their children and grandchildren rely on their phones for everything, soon seniors may be forced into adopting the technology.

But security concerns loom for older generations, who are understandably worried about the risks of digital banking. One commenter shared a conversation they had with a software engineer, who recommended Apple products as the safest option for internet banking (Please note, members, I haven’t been able to find any research to back this statement up).

While the world becomes increasingly reliant on smartphones, it's important to recognise that those who haven't had a lifetime of exposure to this kind of technology may not be able to adapt as easily. The same commenter pointed out that many job applications now require smartphone access, and with bank branches closing rapidly, having a banking app is becoming essential for conducting financial business. They argued that smartphones are ‘not that complicated to use’.

Yet, some seniors prefer to keep their mobile phone usage to a minimum, expressing concerns about the impact of smartphones on their lives. One user cited their hearing impairment as a reason for sticking to their basic phone, which allows them to hear conversations clearly. They also highlighted the potential risks of having one's entire life on a phone, referencing friends who experienced breakdowns after losing their smartphones.

As the dependence on smartphones continues to grow, it's crucial to consider how to ensure all demographics can keep up with the rapid pace of technological advancements. While some seniors are embracing the benefits of smartphones, others either can't afford or simply prefer not to use them. As this GransNet conversation shows, many seniors feel excluded and overwhelmed by the increasing expectation to rely on smartphones.

As our society moves towards a more technologically integrated future, finding a way to bridge the digital divide is essential for our seniors who are struggling to keep up with these rapid changes. It's time for governments, local authorities, and community leaders to reassess their approach to these issues, with empathy and understanding of the unique challenges faced by the older generations. So, what do you think? Are you comfortable with smartphones being integrated into our everyday lives? Or would you rather avoid them? Please share your opinions with me in the comments section below!

Sponsored
A recent GransNet discussion revealed that seniors are feeling increasingly excluded in a world rapidly moving towards smartphone integration. In an age of digital parking payments and app-based bank verification, seniors fear they're being left behind.

View attachment 17364
Are you embracing the smartphone? Or are you avoiding it? Tell us all about it! Image source: Shutterstock.

As technology continues to infiltrate every aspect of our daily lives, some seniors are finding themselves struggling to adapt to the increasing reliance on smartphones. In a recent GransNet discussion, an original poster pointed out that they are now expected to pay for parking through their phone, as well as verify their identity via a banking app, but they neither want nor can afford a smartphone.

One commenter suggested that ‘technology is designed to make life easier for governments, local authorities, banks, supermarkets, and every other aspect of life, rather than for the consumer’. They argued that future generations will have no choice but to accept wholesale integration of smartphones into their lives, predicting that the removal of cash transactions is near.

It seems not everyone in the GransNet community is ready to embrace the smartphone revolution. Another commenter detailed their contentment with a 'dumb' phone, stating that they are ‘not complete technophobes but life is quite complicated enough without any more devices.’ Many seniors are often already well-equipped with tablets and personal computers, using them for internet banking and communication.

Others, however, do appreciate the convenience smartphones offer. One user admitted, ‘Wouldn’t want to be without mine now, so handy for all sorts of things.’ This comment highlighted those who are successfully adapting to app-based services and enjoy the benefits that smartphones bring. But there are some who have refused to join the smartphone brigade altogether. ‘I don’t own a smartphone, or any other kind of mobile phone, I hate them,’ said one user, recounting the confusion they felt after receiving an email from their doctor’s surgery instructing them to use an app for appointments and prescriptions.

People who have embraced smartphones warn that individual preferences will eventually become irrelevant, as the world moves towards complete smartphone dependence. ‘Like them or not, your preference not to use a smartphone will soon make a difference to you, because there will be no alternative to using one for so many of the everyday things we do,’ warned another user. Just as their children and grandchildren rely on their phones for everything, soon seniors may be forced into adopting the technology.

But security concerns loom for older generations, who are understandably worried about the risks of digital banking. One commenter shared a conversation they had with a software engineer, who recommended Apple products as the safest option for internet banking (Please note, members, I haven’t been able to find any research to back this statement up).

While the world becomes increasingly reliant on smartphones, it's important to recognise that those who haven't had a lifetime of exposure to this kind of technology may not be able to adapt as easily. The same commenter pointed out that many job applications now require smartphone access, and with bank branches closing rapidly, having a banking app is becoming essential for conducting financial business. They argued that smartphones are ‘not that complicated to use’.

Yet, some seniors prefer to keep their mobile phone usage to a minimum, expressing concerns about the impact of smartphones on their lives. One user cited their hearing impairment as a reason for sticking to their basic phone, which allows them to hear conversations clearly. They also highlighted the potential risks of having one's entire life on a phone, referencing friends who experienced breakdowns after losing their smartphones.

As the dependence on smartphones continues to grow, it's crucial to consider how to ensure all demographics can keep up with the rapid pace of technological advancements. While some seniors are embracing the benefits of smartphones, others either can't afford or simply prefer not to use them. As this GransNet conversation shows, many seniors feel excluded and overwhelmed by the increasing expectation to rely on smartphones.

As our society moves towards a more technologically integrated future, finding a way to bridge the digital divide is essential for our seniors who are struggling to keep up with these rapid changes. It's time for governments, local authorities, and community leaders to reassess their approach to these issues, with empathy and understanding of the unique challenges faced by the older generations. So, what do you think? Are you comfortable with smartphones being integrated into our everyday lives? Or would you rather avoid them? Please share your opinions with me in the comments section below!

The only problem I have with smartphones is, as an 85 yo,I was born 100 yrs too soon.

Thats all well and good advice but doesn't work for everyone,I'm nearly 87 and am as secure as I can be but nothing is 100 percent foolproof these. Wouldn't be worth the hackers time getting anything out of me . I know the numbers so don't answer when they come up,blocked most
Hello to All Seniors here,
I am 80yrs in 4 weeks time. I have no problem with SmartPhones, Computers, Laptops or Tablets.
There are so many issues here ...
Prices of using your Smart Phone and your computer.
DO NOT play games, listen to music or watch movies on your Smart (DH phone)... That is where most of your pricing and money adds up.
I pay $83 per month for My Pixel 6 pro phone AND my Laptop AND my Desktop Computer and Tablet. I am with Telstra, because other companies cannot provide any worthwhile service in a Rural Area.
I am partially deaf and the smartphone transmit a call into my hearing aids AND USES an onboard speech to Text installed on my phone so that it is 100% private.
I play ONE online game on my computer of 1-2hours per day.
NEVER EVER use your phone for Banking Online, Paying for goods or input-ing your banking details ON THE PHONE. Avoid using Credit Cards online, Use PayPal, they will verify your information and store it in the best possible way and PayPal never provides your card details to anyone.
The hackers are already cracking phones this is how they are getting so much money ... How many phone call scamming or phishing call do you get
on your SO-Called Smart Phone? Has Optus and Telstra been Hacked? Of Course they have.
Do you put ALL your personal and computer information online in a CLOUD? What is the Cloud? It is nothing more that another giant computer collecting information ... Do you know that Tik Tok is own by China AND THEY HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION ABOUT Tik Tok users at their finger-tips.
Don't load APPS because someone tells you to. DO YOUR RESEARCH .. Ask a computer savvy person .. there are also very good research websites BUT they are ones that have been around for sometime ... Snopes will tell you if an email is scam or not .. www.snopes.com ..
The Cloud is not safe .. It is NOT a matter of IF they hack the so-called CLOUD it is when and the authorities and big companies are less interested in Cloud being hack and MORE interested in the fact that at some point the whole damn thing will collapse and where does your information go then? I don't use Cloud.
@OzBrown ... If you are going to advise persons then SPELL THE ADVICE CORRECT FIRST. .It is not WhatApps .. it WhatsApp... just leaving out the S can lead you to a phishing or scam site.
If you want to talk to Family, Friends or Associates overseas or in Aust. FREE Use WhatsApp, and DONT put down older folk like you are the bigtime SmartAss and belittle them. Show them and most of them will learn and know. Encourage them and they will surpass you in IT information.
Now important information WhatsApp encrypts your calls, texting from your phone and also from the phone or computer that you are interacting with.
Avoid using Credit Cards Online... Use Bpay for bills DONT ALLOW COMPANIES TO WITHDRAW PAYMENTS FROM YOUR BANK unless you are 100% trusting of them... I pay most of my purchases with PayPal ... In 1999, PayPal had a big shake up and improved their security to one of worlds best sites. BUT REMEMBER THAT NO WEBSITE IS FOOLPROOF. they all can be compromised. I have full access to my banking ON MY COMPUTER WITH HIGH POWERED Anti-Virus programs...(phones don't have their capacity .. Google has a special scripting method to reduce the size of files.

Follow the advice of Banks, Big Businesses that they provide you How to stay safe online. Again, even they have their limits too.
NEVER EVER click on a LINK in an email, Text or an Advertisement online unless you are trusting of the site and you KNOW THEM.
Webcrawler (Spiders) are constantly looking for and collecting information for hacking use, so DON'T feed them.

My phone is not a top of the range one , but it is a smart phone and does all the stuff I need it to do.Being nearly 87 I always take it with when out on my block or taking dog out for a walk ,with Telstra get good coverage in my rural area. Got all the bells and whistles with security ,but know enough that you still aren't 100 per cent safe so I stay extremely watchful and use black list for unknown numbers especially those that don't leave a message

Reactions: Vet543
I couldn't be without my smart phone .
I check emails, do banking, add everything including my to do list on my calender.

The question is what cant it di
I've been using one for years.
It's like a computer in your hand and to be honest I never use my computer nor do my kids since they all have Laptops.

If I'm not using my phone then I'm on my tablet
I’m exactly the same, when tech doesn’t work it’s extremely annoying- but most of the time it saves me so much running around and waiting in queues
I have to say though that it’s not good for employment as banks and the like do not provide telephone access like they should and that’s frustrating!

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 17364

I've been using smart phone for everything since mobile phones were available, but there are still many challenges for me! I'm not sure it is all easier or time saving for consumers either as article suggests (quite the opposite at times in fact) but there are many conveniences as well that we've come to rely on them now!

I think there should always be a choice. It annoys me that when we are challenged by tasks that there is no human help available to assist us get thru- often chat bots that just frustrate you as they refuse to answer appropriately to your questions/problems! Can be so time wasting trying to resolve anything!!