Are you being watched at the checkout? Shoppers raise the alarm over new Woolworths camera scare

In the world of retail, technology is everywhere. From price scanners to digital barcode readers at the self-checkout, there's a veritable sea of cutting-edge gadgetry that aids our shopping experience.

But with great technology comes great responsibility, and what has been received as a seemingly increased vigilance is raising questions of privacy and complaints of overbearing security!

Recently, there's been quite a commotion at Woolworths. A disgruntled customer drew the attention of shoppers nationwide after complaining about what they perceived as intrusive behaviour when purchasing their groceries at the self-serve checkout.

Sharing the experience on Reddit, the shopper reported an incident in which a staff member 'visually inspected' their bag to ensure accurate scanning of items, notably a selection of humble brown onions. Initially, this may sound trivial, but, it appears, it's anything but.

'Woolies is now verifying brown onions,' the Reddit user wrote in their post.

'The self-checkout guy came over and visually inspected my bag when I rang one up today. Be careful!'

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 12.07.08 PM.png
The new security cameras are positioned over the self-serve checkouts. Pexels/Łukasz Klimkiewicz.

This scenario mainly revolves around shoplifting. Apparently, some shoppers have resorted to dishonestly scanning more expensive items as the typically cheaper brown onions to reduce their grocery expenses.

To counter such behaviours, Woolworths recently upgraded their self-service checkouts using modern camera vision and AI technology to detect if items are not accurately scanned. Customers can only proceed with payment if a staff member addresses the issue if a discrepancy arises.

Although this new measure may be reasonably effective, it has failed to appease all customers. Certain shoppers have voiced their dissatisfaction, feeling unfairly treated like 'criminals'.

'I stopped shopping at Woolies, sick of them treating me like a thief at the checkout,' one customer said.

In light of this storm brewing in the world of retail, Woolworths shoppers exercise a tad more patience at the checkout stage.

Responding to the brown onion story, many Aussies found common ground, encouraging customers to remember that frustration should not be directed at the hardworking grocery store employees.

A sympathetic shopper shared their regular morning shopping experience at Woolies, 'I've been shopping at Woolies once a week on the same day at 7 am for six years; the place is virtually empty. The same lady is at the self-serve every time. We are now on a first-name basis. It's nice to be a little bit understanding.'

While responses vary, there's no denying that Woolworths' increased security at self-checkouts has attracted mixed reactions.

Controversy aside, it's essential to remember that while we're busy complaining about the 'big brother' oversight, there's a farmer somewhere, manually sorting and packing fruit and veggies.

Any theft, no matter how insignificant it might seem, doesn't only affect big supermarkets but also the actual people working tirelessly to put food on our tables.

Key Takeaways

• There has been a recent uproar over security measures at Woolworths' self-serve checkouts, leading to customer complaints and feeling treated as 'criminals'.
  • A Reddit user highlighted the case of Woolworths staff visually inspecting purchases, particularly brown onions, a known item people scan to pay less for groceries.
  • Woolworths' increased security includes new AI technology, which halts checkout payment until an incorrectly scanned item is assessed by staff, causing heightened customer frustration.
  • However, some appreciated the diligent scrutiny from the supermarket, highlighting that theft carries broader implications, including its impact on wages and suppliers.

In an age where the lines of privacy and security continue to blur, this tale serves as a timely reminder. Remember, the cashiers, the managers, and the person next to you in aisle four are all just trying their best. Whether we stand before a self-checkout or manned counter, let's ensure kindness and patience are the first things we put in our trolley.

As for checkout inspections, if Woolies or any other supermarket has you feeling like you're in an episode of a crime show while checking out a bag of groceries, you can talk with the store manager about your concerns.

After all, it's our shared responsibility to contribute to a pleasant shopping environment for all. Stay savvy, shoppers, and remember: honesty is the best policy, especially in the checkout line.

What are your thoughts, members? Would you mind if staff manually inspected your groceries, or do you prefer to let the cameras handle everything at checkout? Or do you still prefer having manned checkouts in supermarkets? Share your opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
Now, Woolworths has pinpointed and highlighted onions being scanned incorrectly by customers. Wonder what food item will be next. Any spare shopping bags I have on my shoulder, basket or trolley halts me paying, so the staff person has to check everything. I asked the girl last time if they have caught thieves with this inconvenience. Apparently, they have caught 2!

Reactions: Jennylolo
In the world of retail, technology is everywhere. From price scanners to digital barcode readers at the self-checkout, there's a veritable sea of cutting-edge gadgetry that aids our shopping experience.

But with great technology comes great responsibility, and what has been received as a seemingly increased vigilance is raising questions of privacy and complaints of overbearing security!

Recently, there's been quite a commotion at Woolworths. A disgruntled customer drew the attention of shoppers nationwide after complaining about what they perceived as intrusive behaviour when purchasing their groceries at the self-serve checkout.

Sharing the experience on Reddit, the shopper reported an incident in which a staff member 'visually inspected' their bag to ensure accurate scanning of items, notably a selection of humble brown onions. Initially, this may sound trivial, but, it appears, it's anything but.

'The self-checkout guy came over and visually inspected my bag when I rang one up today. Be careful!'

View attachment 23653
The new security cameras are positioned over the self-serve checkouts. Pexels/Łukasz Klimkiewicz.

This scenario mainly revolves around shoplifting. Apparently, some shoppers have resorted to dishonestly scanning more expensive items as the typically cheaper brown onions to reduce their grocery expenses.

To counter such behaviours, Woolworths recently upgraded their self-service checkouts using modern camera vision and AI technology to detect if items are not accurately scanned. Customers can only proceed with payment if a staff member addresses the issue if a discrepancy arises.

Although this new measure may be reasonably effective, it has failed to appease all customers. Certain shoppers have voiced their dissatisfaction, feeling unfairly treated like 'criminals'.

'I stopped shopping at Woolies, sick of them treating me like a thief at the checkout,' one customer said.

In light of this storm brewing in the world of retail, Woolworths shoppers exercise a tad more patience at the checkout stage.

Responding to the brown onion story, many Aussies found common ground, encouraging customers to remember that frustration should not be directed at the hardworking grocery store employees.

A sympathetic shopper shared their regular morning shopping experience at Woolies, 'I've been shopping at Woolies once a week on the same day at 7 am for six years; the place is virtually empty. The same lady is at the self-serve every time. We are now on a first-name basis. It's nice to be a little bit understanding.'

While responses vary, there's no denying that Woolworths' increased security at self-checkouts has attracted mixed reactions.

Controversy aside, it's essential to remember that while we're busy complaining about the 'big brother' oversight, there's a farmer somewhere, manually sorting and packing fruit and veggies.

Any theft, no matter how insignificant it might seem, doesn't only affect big supermarkets but also the actual people working tirelessly to put food on our tables.

Key Takeaways

• There has been a recent uproar over security measures at Woolworths' self-serve checkouts, leading to customer complaints and feeling treated as 'criminals'.
  • A Reddit user highlighted the case of Woolworths staff visually inspecting purchases, particularly brown onions, a known item people scan to pay less for groceries.
  • Woolworths' increased security includes new AI technology, which halts checkout payment until an incorrectly scanned item is assessed by staff, causing heightened customer frustration.
  • However, some appreciated the diligent scrutiny from the supermarket, highlighting that theft carries broader implications, including its impact on wages and suppliers.

In an age where the lines of privacy and security continue to blur, this tale serves as a timely reminder. Remember, the cashiers, the managers, and the person next to you in aisle four are all just trying their best. Whether we stand before a self-checkout or manned counter, let's ensure kindness and patience are the first things we put in our trolley.

As for checkout inspections, if Woolies or any other supermarket has you feeling like you're in an episode of a crime show while checking out a bag of groceries, you can talk with the store manager about your concerns.

After all, it's our shared responsibility to contribute to a pleasant shopping environment for all. Stay savvy, shoppers, and remember: honesty is the best policy, especially in the checkout line.

What are your thoughts, members? Would you mind if staff manually inspected your groceries, or do you prefer to let the cameras handle everything at checkout? Or do you still prefer having manned checkouts in supermarkets? Share your opinions in the comments below!

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

There is a simple answer to this, don’t use the self checkout. I won’t use it as I believe the stores should employ more people. I often get through the serviced checkouts quicker than those waiting for self checkout anyway.

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

If you're not a thief, a few seconds (of minor inconvenience), then on with the day, seems a fair exchange to use modern technology. Chill out n smile .... the world awaits your happiness;).

Yes I agree! If they abandoned the self checkouts and went back to the human checkouts, there would be no more stealing, and no more false scanning, and therefore no more money lost. Then maybe they could bring down their prices! It’s that simple. I’m sure by using more assistants to check out your items would be far cheaper that those useless IT checkouts that often have to have an assistant to override them. The money being lost from stealing would pay for more assistants . It’s not that hard!

Doesn’t matter what area of sales , or elsewhere , where 1% of people spoil it for everyone. KMart has been checking bags ever since they opened. One man in a caravan park (we were there recently) had a little veggie garden and people would steal them until he covered them. And these are people travelling around, so not at starvations door. They are everywhere.

If you're not a thief, a few seconds (of minor inconvenience), then on with the day, seems a fair exchange to use modern technology. Chill out n smile .... the world awaits your happiness;).
Yes, if you’ve got nothing to hide why object to a bag check. I always show any extra empty bag I’m carrying so the checkout operator can see there’s nothing in it. We never use the self serve ones, prefer a cheery smile to & from a checkout operator.

Chill out people. These people are doing their jobs, but personally checking out a bag by delving into it to do so, I would probably say is a little over the top. But be pleasant and don’t rant and rave especially if you’ve nothing to hide.

unfortunately checkout also scan fruit and veg incorrectly as they don't know the difference between some and call it by the wrong name hence wrong price. One has to watch that too. But will always use checkout.

Reactions: TheBear and Phyll

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

I will not use a self checkout. If we all do there will be no
More staff employed at any checkout. Why do them out of a job! I am not a staff member why scan my own groceries? I receive no discount to do so!!!!! I will not take part in the cutting down of any staff!!!

Self checkouts are not going away regardless. The cost to install them is exhorbitant so they are here to stay. As you say above each of us clearly can choose whether to use them or not but the supermarket giants are not going to start employing more staff now just to serve us at the check outs. They have made their decision many years ago and continue to spend their money on improving the self checkouts not hiring more staff.

Reactions: Vinylted
Well I had the opposite recently. I purchased berries but inadvertently chose the wrong sort and at a much higher price. The lady come over to check the berries and noted I had chosen the wrong item. Saved me some money.

These checks are to ensure not only honesty but ensuring mistakes are not made that could effect you.

t
Now, Woolworths has pinpointed and highlighted onions being scanned incorrectly by customers. Wonder what food item will be next. Any spare shopping bags I have on my shoulder, basket or trolley halts me paying, so the staff person has to check everything. I asked the girl last time if they have caught thieves with this inconvenience. Apparently, they have caught 2!
that would be 2 an hour, anyone that goes regularly to the supermarket and see these 'self serve' checkouts can clearly see the number of dubious items, looking over shoulder to see if the staff member is watching. Alternatively, just walk around the store eating and drinking stuff, then discarding the empty or partically empty packaging as they go along.

anyone with concerns of their 'privacy' needs to just wait and use the staffed checkout. There are stores in the US & Europe that only have self serve checkouts, but also have a greater reliance on AI that are triggered when onions or carrots are scanned to then have photo recognition see that the onions are actually packaged rump steak. All very well to blame supermarkets for high prices (which in reality is not true) cost of theft is passed on to ALL honest shoppers. I have absolutely no issue with this 'invasion' of privacy, in fact I personally support the naming and shaming or photo of offenders being displayed. The photo of those caught is then used by photo recognition to stop previously caught from entering the store that they will have been banned from.

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts, members? Would you mind if staff manually inspected your groceries, or do you prefer to let the cameras handle everything at checkout? Or do you still prefer having manned checkouts in supermarkets? Share your opinions in the comments below.

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

Open up the checkouts with real people!

apart from the cost of product supplies, labour costs are the biggest outgoing and as such are passed on through prices, look at the small 'independent' supermarkets that don't have self serve checkouts, their cost are represented in the shelf price. (only when an item is on promotion are they price competitive).

I prefer using a check out run by a human being, having said that I have used these self serve checkouts, and they are fine if there isn't any problems, I have not had anyone want to check my bag for anything. If you put everything through properly there shouldn't be an issue. I don't like my bag being searched but as long as they don't touch my bag/s then that is fine. Touching my bags is actually against the law, they can asked to look in your bag but they can not touch anything in your bag.