Are you being watched at the checkout? Shoppers raise the alarm over new Woolworths camera scare

In the world of retail, technology is everywhere. From price scanners to digital barcode readers at the self-checkout, there's a veritable sea of cutting-edge gadgetry that aids our shopping experience.

But with great technology comes great responsibility, and what has been received as a seemingly increased vigilance is raising questions of privacy and complaints of overbearing security!

Recently, there's been quite a commotion at Woolworths. A disgruntled customer drew the attention of shoppers nationwide after complaining about what they perceived as intrusive behaviour when purchasing their groceries at the self-serve checkout.

Sharing the experience on Reddit, the shopper reported an incident in which a staff member 'visually inspected' their bag to ensure accurate scanning of items, notably a selection of humble brown onions. Initially, this may sound trivial, but, it appears, it's anything but.

'Woolies is now verifying brown onions,' the Reddit user wrote in their post.

'The self-checkout guy came over and visually inspected my bag when I rang one up today. Be careful!'

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 12.07.08 PM.png
The new security cameras are positioned over the self-serve checkouts. Pexels/Łukasz Klimkiewicz.

This scenario mainly revolves around shoplifting. Apparently, some shoppers have resorted to dishonestly scanning more expensive items as the typically cheaper brown onions to reduce their grocery expenses.

To counter such behaviours, Woolworths recently upgraded their self-service checkouts using modern camera vision and AI technology to detect if items are not accurately scanned. Customers can only proceed with payment if a staff member addresses the issue if a discrepancy arises.

Although this new measure may be reasonably effective, it has failed to appease all customers. Certain shoppers have voiced their dissatisfaction, feeling unfairly treated like 'criminals'.

'I stopped shopping at Woolies, sick of them treating me like a thief at the checkout,' one customer said.

In light of this storm brewing in the world of retail, Woolworths shoppers exercise a tad more patience at the checkout stage.

Responding to the brown onion story, many Aussies found common ground, encouraging customers to remember that frustration should not be directed at the hardworking grocery store employees.

A sympathetic shopper shared their regular morning shopping experience at Woolies, 'I've been shopping at Woolies once a week on the same day at 7 am for six years; the place is virtually empty. The same lady is at the self-serve every time. We are now on a first-name basis. It's nice to be a little bit understanding.'

While responses vary, there's no denying that Woolworths' increased security at self-checkouts has attracted mixed reactions.

Controversy aside, it's essential to remember that while we're busy complaining about the 'big brother' oversight, there's a farmer somewhere, manually sorting and packing fruit and veggies.

Any theft, no matter how insignificant it might seem, doesn't only affect big supermarkets but also the actual people working tirelessly to put food on our tables.

Key Takeaways

• There has been a recent uproar over security measures at Woolworths' self-serve checkouts, leading to customer complaints and feeling treated as 'criminals'.
  • A Reddit user highlighted the case of Woolworths staff visually inspecting purchases, particularly brown onions, a known item people scan to pay less for groceries.
  • Woolworths' increased security includes new AI technology, which halts checkout payment until an incorrectly scanned item is assessed by staff, causing heightened customer frustration.
  • However, some appreciated the diligent scrutiny from the supermarket, highlighting that theft carries broader implications, including its impact on wages and suppliers.

In an age where the lines of privacy and security continue to blur, this tale serves as a timely reminder. Remember, the cashiers, the managers, and the person next to you in aisle four are all just trying their best. Whether we stand before a self-checkout or manned counter, let's ensure kindness and patience are the first things we put in our trolley.

As for checkout inspections, if Woolies or any other supermarket has you feeling like you're in an episode of a crime show while checking out a bag of groceries, you can talk with the store manager about your concerns.

After all, it's our shared responsibility to contribute to a pleasant shopping environment for all. Stay savvy, shoppers, and remember: honesty is the best policy, especially in the checkout line.

What are your thoughts, members? Would you mind if staff manually inspected your groceries, or do you prefer to let the cameras handle everything at checkout? Or do you still prefer having manned checkouts in supermarkets? Share your opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
In the world of retail, technology is everywhere. From price scanners to digital barcode readers at the self-checkout, there's a veritable sea of cutting-edge gadgetry that aids our shopping experience.

But with great technology comes great responsibility, and what has been received as a seemingly increased vigilance is raising questions of privacy and complaints of overbearing security!

Recently, there's been quite a commotion at Woolworths. A disgruntled customer drew the attention of shoppers nationwide after complaining about what they perceived as intrusive behaviour when purchasing their groceries at the self-serve checkout.

Sharing the experience on Reddit, the shopper reported an incident in which a staff member 'visually inspected' their bag to ensure accurate scanning of items, notably a selection of humble brown onions. Initially, this may sound trivial, but, it appears, it's anything but.

'The self-checkout guy came over and visually inspected my bag when I rang one up today. Be careful!'

View attachment 23653
The new security cameras are positioned over the self-serve checkouts. Pexels/Łukasz Klimkiewicz.

This scenario mainly revolves around shoplifting. Apparently, some shoppers have resorted to dishonestly scanning more expensive items as the typically cheaper brown onions to reduce their grocery expenses.

To counter such behaviours, Woolworths recently upgraded their self-service checkouts using modern camera vision and AI technology to detect if items are not accurately scanned. Customers can only proceed with payment if a staff member addresses the issue if a discrepancy arises.

Although this new measure may be reasonably effective, it has failed to appease all customers. Certain shoppers have voiced their dissatisfaction, feeling unfairly treated like 'criminals'.

'I stopped shopping at Woolies, sick of them treating me like a thief at the checkout,' one customer said.

In light of this storm brewing in the world of retail, Woolworths shoppers exercise a tad more patience at the checkout stage.

Responding to the brown onion story, many Aussies found common ground, encouraging customers to remember that frustration should not be directed at the hardworking grocery store employees.

A sympathetic shopper shared their regular morning shopping experience at Woolies, 'I've been shopping at Woolies once a week on the same day at 7 am for six years; the place is virtually empty. The same lady is at the self-serve every time. We are now on a first-name basis. It's nice to be a little bit understanding.'

While responses vary, there's no denying that Woolworths' increased security at self-checkouts has attracted mixed reactions.

Controversy aside, it's essential to remember that while we're busy complaining about the 'big brother' oversight, there's a farmer somewhere, manually sorting and packing fruit and veggies.

Any theft, no matter how insignificant it might seem, doesn't only affect big supermarkets but also the actual people working tirelessly to put food on our tables.

Key Takeaways

• There has been a recent uproar over security measures at Woolworths' self-serve checkouts, leading to customer complaints and feeling treated as 'criminals'.
  • A Reddit user highlighted the case of Woolworths staff visually inspecting purchases, particularly brown onions, a known item people scan to pay less for groceries.
  • Woolworths' increased security includes new AI technology, which halts checkout payment until an incorrectly scanned item is assessed by staff, causing heightened customer frustration.
  • However, some appreciated the diligent scrutiny from the supermarket, highlighting that theft carries broader implications, including its impact on wages and suppliers.

In an age where the lines of privacy and security continue to blur, this tale serves as a timely reminder. Remember, the cashiers, the managers, and the person next to you in aisle four are all just trying their best. Whether we stand before a self-checkout or manned counter, let's ensure kindness and patience are the first things we put in our trolley.

As for checkout inspections, if Woolies or any other supermarket has you feeling like you're in an episode of a crime show while checking out a bag of groceries, you can talk with the store manager about your concerns.

After all, it's our shared responsibility to contribute to a pleasant shopping environment for all. Stay savvy, shoppers, and remember: honesty is the best policy, especially in the checkout line.

What are your thoughts, members? Would you mind if staff manually inspected your groceries, or do you prefer to let the cameras handle everything at checkout? Or do you still prefer having manned checkouts in supermarkets? Share your opinions in the comments below!
Unfortunately there is a lot of thieving going on at the self-serve checkouts. I have witnessed it , putting avocados through as onions, etc. It feels terrible to be checked by staff when you are honest but it's necessary. Hence I will say it again and again until the powers that be hear me , Get Rid Of Self-serve!!! I abhor them.

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

as with every business, they have to protect their stock etc, if people were ALL honest then there wouldn't be any need to check all the time, it's either that, or sell everything at the same price, cheaper items go up in price and dearer items come down in price, average it out.

You can thank all the thieves for this, it only takes a second for them to check and then your gone. No big deal, I use self serve all the time because there is never enough checkouts manned and long queues, I don't have a problem, I've noticed in Woolies when you put something on the scales it brings up a picture of all similar products, like if you put oranges it shows you them, mandarines any orange fruit, put broccoli and it puts all green things makes it easier to find what you are weighing.

Nothing to hide? Then don't stress! I refuse to use self serve checkouts as they take jobs from real people, but the fact is that there are quite a few unscrupulous people and thieves out their that we are all paying the price for.

Reactions: Ittybitty
The only people complaining and making a big deal about this are those with something to hide. If people didn't shoplift this wouldn't be necessary. I feel for the poor staff who have to put up with the verbal abuse and tantrums of people who just want to make someone else's life miserable.

I can honestly not see a problem with cameras etc if you are doing the correct thing. I think they need them up the aisles also as the empty packets of food & drink items stashed between other items is shocking.

This is another reason why I avoid self checkout like the plague. I’d far rather spend time in a queue and talk to a real person than struggle later with a machine when I invariably make a mistake. (I always do,don’t judge me) 😂😂😂

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

Manned checkout thank you a much better way all round!

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

They have every right, it is their produce.

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

If it wasn't for those people who stole, cheated and did the wrong thing, none of this would be necessary. The majority pay the price for the uncaring, law-breaking minority.

When they're caught, they kick up such a fuss and staff are powerless to stop them. So, we law-abiding customers pay for their illegal behaviour in many ways...and they get away with it.

Bring back corporal punishment or other punishment that suits the crime.

Stop protecting the rights of the re-offending perpetrators and punish them accordingly. Look after the majority instead.

Reactions: Penny4

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

We prefer to use manned check outs, that way they keep their jobs. I find that one person standing at the self serve check out cuts out many peoples job.

• Sad
Reactions: RhodaStarr

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

Maybe we need to go back to more or all manned checkouts to stop this extra checking?

• Love

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

If you're not a thief, a few seconds (of minor inconvenience), then on with the day, seems a fair exchange to use modern technology. Chill out n smile .... the world awaits your happiness;).
When I came to live in Oz 35 years ago, I was a little rattled by being asked to show inside bags and handbag on the way out of some shops. I’m used to it now, and having nothing to hide just comply and head on my way. I thought self serve checkouts already checked things by weight, so wonder at these added measures. Times are tough so I suppose shop lifting is more prevalent. In the end though, it’s not the staff member’s fault that they’re asked to check purchases is it. 🙁

• Love
If you have done nothing wrong, checking your bag of onions was not intrusive. Are you aware that the amount of theft in supermarkets is putting up the prices for you and me? Please check my bags and everyone else, I welcome this initiative. Last week it was people swapping free-range eggs into cage egg cartons. I have seen lollies go into the pockets of my 4yr old son many years ago, and I reported his theft and he was spoken to by the manager kindly but stern. He never did it again and has told his children the story.

Doesn’t matter what area of sales , or elsewhere , where 1% of people spoil it for everyone. KMart has been checking bags ever since they opened. One man in a caravan park (we were there recently) had a little veggie garden and people would steal them until he covered them. And these are people travelling around, so not at starvations door. They are everywhere.
I have shopped in K Mart for many years & until they decided to put their checkouts in the middle of the store I had never had my bags checked on leaving the store. Now they want me to line up at the checkout in the middle of the store & then line up at the exit to get my bags checked before leaving the store. This happened to me the first time I went to their recently opened store in Dubbo. I will never return to KMart while they have this ridiculous system in place. Put the checkouts back at the front of the store so people can pay & leave without having to waste time being checked a 2nd time.

Reactions: Cheezil

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

So its ok for supermarkets to blatantly steal from customers (ie inflated grocery prices, checkout ,"errors" dodgey labelling, etc etc) but they don't like it when customers steal from them of course?

I don't see a problem in them asking to check my bag. If you haven't done anything wrong, then what's the problem? Can you blame them really with all the shoplifting that is going on every day.

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

I like to shop at Woolworths and have no trouble with their camera technology. They are one of the few companies who care about their customers. They must take measures against those trying to rob them and I support such measures. You woud only complain if you are doing something wrong.
John

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

As is often the case, those that do the wrong thing make life more difficult for the majority who do the right thing.

Reactions: KSS