Are you being watched at the checkout? Shoppers raise the alarm over new Woolworths camera scare

In the world of retail, technology is everywhere. From price scanners to digital barcode readers at the self-checkout, there's a veritable sea of cutting-edge gadgetry that aids our shopping experience.

But with great technology comes great responsibility, and what has been received as a seemingly increased vigilance is raising questions of privacy and complaints of overbearing security!

Recently, there's been quite a commotion at Woolworths. A disgruntled customer drew the attention of shoppers nationwide after complaining about what they perceived as intrusive behaviour when purchasing their groceries at the self-serve checkout.

Sharing the experience on Reddit, the shopper reported an incident in which a staff member 'visually inspected' their bag to ensure accurate scanning of items, notably a selection of humble brown onions. Initially, this may sound trivial, but, it appears, it's anything but.

'Woolies is now verifying brown onions,' the Reddit user wrote in their post.

'The self-checkout guy came over and visually inspected my bag when I rang one up today. Be careful!'

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 12.07.08 PM.png
The new security cameras are positioned over the self-serve checkouts. Pexels/Łukasz Klimkiewicz.

This scenario mainly revolves around shoplifting. Apparently, some shoppers have resorted to dishonestly scanning more expensive items as the typically cheaper brown onions to reduce their grocery expenses.

To counter such behaviours, Woolworths recently upgraded their self-service checkouts using modern camera vision and AI technology to detect if items are not accurately scanned. Customers can only proceed with payment if a staff member addresses the issue if a discrepancy arises.

Although this new measure may be reasonably effective, it has failed to appease all customers. Certain shoppers have voiced their dissatisfaction, feeling unfairly treated like 'criminals'.

'I stopped shopping at Woolies, sick of them treating me like a thief at the checkout,' one customer said.

In light of this storm brewing in the world of retail, Woolworths shoppers exercise a tad more patience at the checkout stage.

Responding to the brown onion story, many Aussies found common ground, encouraging customers to remember that frustration should not be directed at the hardworking grocery store employees.

A sympathetic shopper shared their regular morning shopping experience at Woolies, 'I've been shopping at Woolies once a week on the same day at 7 am for six years; the place is virtually empty. The same lady is at the self-serve every time. We are now on a first-name basis. It's nice to be a little bit understanding.'

While responses vary, there's no denying that Woolworths' increased security at self-checkouts has attracted mixed reactions.

Controversy aside, it's essential to remember that while we're busy complaining about the 'big brother' oversight, there's a farmer somewhere, manually sorting and packing fruit and veggies.

Any theft, no matter how insignificant it might seem, doesn't only affect big supermarkets but also the actual people working tirelessly to put food on our tables.

Key Takeaways

• There has been a recent uproar over security measures at Woolworths' self-serve checkouts, leading to customer complaints and feeling treated as 'criminals'.
  • A Reddit user highlighted the case of Woolworths staff visually inspecting purchases, particularly brown onions, a known item people scan to pay less for groceries.
  • Woolworths' increased security includes new AI technology, which halts checkout payment until an incorrectly scanned item is assessed by staff, causing heightened customer frustration.
  • However, some appreciated the diligent scrutiny from the supermarket, highlighting that theft carries broader implications, including its impact on wages and suppliers.

In an age where the lines of privacy and security continue to blur, this tale serves as a timely reminder. Remember, the cashiers, the managers, and the person next to you in aisle four are all just trying their best. Whether we stand before a self-checkout or manned counter, let's ensure kindness and patience are the first things we put in our trolley.

As for checkout inspections, if Woolies or any other supermarket has you feeling like you're in an episode of a crime show while checking out a bag of groceries, you can talk with the store manager about your concerns.

After all, it's our shared responsibility to contribute to a pleasant shopping environment for all. Stay savvy, shoppers, and remember: honesty is the best policy, especially in the checkout line.

What are your thoughts, members? Would you mind if staff manually inspected your groceries, or do you prefer to let the cameras handle everything at checkout? Or do you still prefer having manned checkouts in supermarkets? Share your opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
t

that would be 2 an hour, anyone that goes regularly to the supermarket and see these 'self serve' checkouts can clearly see the number of dubious items, looking over shoulder to see if the staff member is watching. Alternatively, just walk around the store eating and drinking stuff, then discarding the empty or partically empty packaging as they go along.
Eating and drinking products in store is still stealing and contributes to increased prices for everyone.

I stopped using self serve a long time ago.
Initially, I thought I would give it a go. All I got was those stupid messages that directed me to call for assistance. The crunch came when the checkout I was using refused to recognise my own hand made shopping bag. At that point I told the very nice team member that I am going to the assisted checkout. I never went back to self serve.
Self service ranks up there in my peeves along side KMart middle of the store checkouts...ugggh.

In the world of retail, technology is everywhere. From price scanners to digital barcode readers at the self-checkout, there's a veritable sea of cutting-edge gadgetry that aids our shopping experience.

But with great technology comes great responsibility, and what has been received as a seemingly increased vigilance is raising questions of privacy and complaints of overbearing security!

Recently, there's been quite a commotion at Woolworths. A disgruntled customer drew the attention of shoppers nationwide after complaining about what they perceived as intrusive behaviour when purchasing their groceries at the self-serve checkout.

Sharing the experience on Reddit, the shopper reported an incident in which a staff member 'visually inspected' their bag to ensure accurate scanning of items, notably a selection of humble brown onions. Initially, this may sound trivial, but, it appears, it's anything but.

'The self-checkout guy came over and visually inspected my bag when I rang one up today. Be careful!'

View attachment 23653
The new security cameras are positioned over the self-serve checkouts. Pexels/Łukasz Klimkiewicz.

This scenario mainly revolves around shoplifting. Apparently, some shoppers have resorted to dishonestly scanning more expensive items as the typically cheaper brown onions to reduce their grocery expenses.

To counter such behaviours, Woolworths recently upgraded their self-service checkouts using modern camera vision and AI technology to detect if items are not accurately scanned. Customers can only proceed with payment if a staff member addresses the issue if a discrepancy arises.

Although this new measure may be reasonably effective, it has failed to appease all customers. Certain shoppers have voiced their dissatisfaction, feeling unfairly treated like 'criminals'.

'I stopped shopping at Woolies, sick of them treating me like a thief at the checkout,' one customer said.

In light of this storm brewing in the world of retail, Woolworths shoppers exercise a tad more patience at the checkout stage.

Responding to the brown onion story, many Aussies found common ground, encouraging customers to remember that frustration should not be directed at the hardworking grocery store employees.

A sympathetic shopper shared their regular morning shopping experience at Woolies, 'I've been shopping at Woolies once a week on the same day at 7 am for six years; the place is virtually empty. The same lady is at the self-serve every time. We are now on a first-name basis. It's nice to be a little bit understanding.'

While responses vary, there's no denying that Woolworths' increased security at self-checkouts has attracted mixed reactions.

Controversy aside, it's essential to remember that while we're busy complaining about the 'big brother' oversight, there's a farmer somewhere, manually sorting and packing fruit and veggies.

Any theft, no matter how insignificant it might seem, doesn't only affect big supermarkets but also the actual people working tirelessly to put food on our tables.

Key Takeaways

• There has been a recent uproar over security measures at Woolworths' self-serve checkouts, leading to customer complaints and feeling treated as 'criminals'.
  • A Reddit user highlighted the case of Woolworths staff visually inspecting purchases, particularly brown onions, a known item people scan to pay less for groceries.
  • Woolworths' increased security includes new AI technology, which halts checkout payment until an incorrectly scanned item is assessed by staff, causing heightened customer frustration.
  • However, some appreciated the diligent scrutiny from the supermarket, highlighting that theft carries broader implications, including its impact on wages and suppliers.

In an age where the lines of privacy and security continue to blur, this tale serves as a timely reminder. Remember, the cashiers, the managers, and the person next to you in aisle four are all just trying their best. Whether we stand before a self-checkout or manned counter, let's ensure kindness and patience are the first things we put in our trolley.

As for checkout inspections, if Woolies or any other supermarket has you feeling like you're in an episode of a crime show while checking out a bag of groceries, you can talk with the store manager about your concerns.

After all, it's our shared responsibility to contribute to a pleasant shopping environment for all. Stay savvy, shoppers, and remember: honesty is the best policy, especially in the checkout line.

What are your thoughts, members? Would you mind if staff manually inspected your groceries, or do you prefer to let the cameras handle everything at checkout? Or do you still prefer having manned checkouts in supermarkets? Share your opinions in the comments below!
Use people manned/women checkouts will not use self-serve checkouts Q1 do they give you a discount for doing your groceries, NO Q2 if you injure your self while putting your groceries through, the self-serve checkouts probably not Q3 dose self-serve checkouts cost's job's YES, so why add to their profits 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

ok. Now are woolies spying Re self serve checkout. Yes remember every store is covered with CTV security and most you can’t see ,so your already under surveillance was this nessacary before self serve. NO.

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

I don't agree with supermarkets now not employing young people at the checkout, it used to be a first job for them to gain experience in the workplace. I hate self checkouts as always seem to be calling the staff member to help. As for more security cameras at self checkout, it's good to stop shoplifting but many people could accidentally put thru a wrong vegetable, so if Woolworths want us to do our own checkout, trust has to come into it, and not make people feel like criminals.

View attachment 23653

Key Takeaways

I hate self serve check outs and always have.
I say to those of you complaining about the security there, Don't Use Them.....
Go to a normal checkout. Of course, then you can complain about the queues, I suppose.
If everyone stopped using them, stores would have to go back to manned checkouts.
Of course, it is a little late for that, they are everywhere.