An Aussie who doesn’t like Tim Tams? Should her Aussie card be revoked?

Australians love bikkies, there’s no denying it. But of all the options we have, few match the popularity of Tim Tams.

It is said that Tim Tams are found in half of Australian households and that we eat as many as 45 million packets a year – imagine that?

Even overseas, the chocolatey goodness and Aussies are inseparable. It is one of our most famous exports – Tim Tams are a common request by expats and foreigners interested in Australia.

capture-20221012-120625.png
Remember when Boris Johnson showed the ‘wonderful Arnott’s Tim Tams’ during the formal negotiations for a free trade agreement between the UK and Australia? Credit: SMH

Can you imagine anyone hating the iconic Australian food? We sure couldn’t.

And yet, someone dared to utter the unspeakable. Even worse is the fact that she is one of our own!

One woman took it to the social news Reddit to slander the biscuit. The post titled ‘Unpopular Opinion on Tim Tams’ said: ‘They are not that good. I like ChocTops or Digestives better.’

Justifying her dislike, she explained: ‘I feel like the chocolate in Tim Tams is not chocolatey enough. Like, it’s sweet and smells like chocolate but for the amount of chocolate they use for covering and filling, they don’t seem to taste as chocolatey as they should be. Or maybe I just have too high of an expectation for Tim Tams or my taste buds are dead.’

Many were outraged, as expected.

One teased: ‘Please pack your bags ready. ASIO should be along shortly.’

Another said: ‘Prepare the boot!’

A third chimed in: ‘Wow, you're right. This is an unpopular opinion.’

One user suggested that it should be used to determine whether one is a true Aussie: ‘We really should make Tim Tams part of the citizenship test regardless of whether you're born here or not.’

Many were not so surprised by the author’s opinion, however. A Redditor said: ‘I love them, but my god, they are almost pure sugar.’

A few shared their love of other biscuits. One shared: ‘I wouldn't say no to the offer of a Tim Tam, but I do think they're a bit overrated, and almost never buy a packet myself. I prefer a Chocolate Monte.’

Another said: ‘Mint slice are the bomb. Or the ALDI Tim Tams. They are delicious.’

Some said they preferred other varieties than the original. A comment said: ‘Dark Tim Tams are the only ones I can stomach. Normal make me feel ill after just one or two.’

Meanwhile, another wrote: ‘Double Coat Tim Tams are the best. Originals are nice but nowhere near as good as Double Coat.’

There were claims, however, that the Tim Tams for sale now are different from the biscuits they came to know and love.

One user commented: ‘I swear, they used to be more chocolatey in the past. The current ones I got after coming back after 10 years away have a mouth feel like squirting Icemagic in your mouth.’

Another agreed: ‘They changed them. As God is my witness, they used to be better. I would devour a pack by myself. They now taste like both the biscuit and the filling have been made with margarine… cheap ass margarine.’

Someone said: ‘They used to be thicker, melted slightly faster in your hands and crumbled more with each bite. The filling used to be more like macaron filling. Now it's like they've become the home brand version of back in the day.’

1200px-Tim_Tams.jpg
Introduced in 1964, Tim Tams are now for sale in different international markets, including the US. Credit: Bilby/Wikipedia

The speculation is nothing new. Although there is no official statement from Arnott’s that the recipe has been changed, others have wondered if today’s Tim Tams are different because the biscuit producer is no longer Australian-owned. In 1997, the Campbell Soup Company of North America acquired the company, causing Australians to fear that the beloved local treats would be Americanised. Three years ago, Campbell then sold Arnott’s to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, an American private equity firm.

But could the author be eating Tim Tams wrong all along? A Redditor shared: ‘I used to be completely indifferent to Tim Tams and wondered why everyone thought they were so good… that is until I tried putting them in the fridge, and I’m not someone who typically keeps chocolate in the fridge. Trust me.’

Some might say that refrigerating Tim Tams is not groundbreaking as it has been a common practice. In fact, an Arnott’s survey found that 45 per cent kept their bikkies in the fridge. Those who preferred to store Tim Tams in their pantries stood at 43 per cent, while the rest used the freezer. (Yes, you read that right.)

Arnott’s did not settle the debate, but a former Tim Tam genie (the mascot) once answered the question on the Today Show. Apollo Jackson, who had the role before Neighbours star Tim Robards was named the new genie last year, said: ‘It depends what flavour you go with. For some, like caramel, where your fillings are probably a little bit better at room temperature, definitely keep them at room temperature. But more of your classic range can sometimes be really good refrigerated.’

The author of the Reddit post did not change her mind about Tim Tams but said that she is a fan of another iconic Australian product: ‘I love Vegemite, though, so maybe I’m not as disgusting as people think I am.’

What do you think? Are the choccy bikkies sacred, or are you not a fan? We’d love to know in the comments!

Sponsored
Australians love bikkies, there’s no denying it. But of all the options we have, few match the popularity of Tim Tams.

It is said that Tim Tams are found in half of Australian households and that we eat as many as 45 million packets a year – imagine that?

Even overseas, the chocolatey goodness and Aussies are inseparable. It is one of our most famous exports – Tim Tams are a common request by expats and foreigners interested in Australia.

View attachment 7664
Remember when Boris Johnson showed the ‘wonderful Arnott’s Tim Tams’ during the formal negotiations for a free trade agreement between the UK and Australia? Credit: SMH

And yet, someone dared to utter the unspeakable. Even worse is the fact that she is one of our own!

One woman took it to the social news Reddit to slander the biscuit. The post titled ‘Unpopular Opinion on Tim Tams’ said: ‘They are not that good. I like ChocTops or Digestives better.’

Justifying her dislike, she explained: ‘I feel like the chocolate in Tim Tams is not chocolatey enough. Like, it’s sweet and smells like chocolate but for the amount of chocolate they use for covering and filling, they don’t seem to taste as chocolatey as they should be. Or maybe I just have too high of an expectation for Tim Tams or my taste buds are dead.’

One user suggested that it should be used to determine whether one is a true Aussie: ‘We really should make Tim Tams part of the citizenship test regardless of whether you're born here or not.’

Many were not so surprised by the author’s opinion, however. A Redditor said: ‘I love them, but my god, they are almost pure sugar.’

A few shared their love of other biscuits. One shared: ‘I wouldn't say no to the offer of a Tim Tam, but I do think they're a bit overrated, and almost never buy a packet myself. I prefer a Chocolate Monte.’

Another said: ‘Mint slice are the bomb. Or the ALDI Tim Tams. They are delicious.’

Some said they preferred other varieties than the original. A comment said: ‘Dark Tim Tams are the only ones I can stomach. Normal make me feel ill after just one or two.’

Meanwhile, another wrote: ‘Double Coat Tim Tams are the best. Originals are nice but nowhere near as good as Double Coat.’

There were claims, however, that the Tim Tams for sale now are different from the biscuits they came to know and love.

One user commented: ‘I swear, they used to be more chocolatey in the past. The current ones I got after coming back after 10 years away have a mouth feel like squirting Icemagic in your mouth.’

Another agreed: ‘They changed them. As God is my witness, they used to be better. I would devour a pack by myself. They now taste like both the biscuit and the filling have been made with margarine… cheap ass margarine.’

Someone said: ‘They used to be thicker, melted slightly faster in your hands and crumbled more with each bite. The filling used to be more like macaron filling. Now it's like they've become the home brand version of back in the day.’

View attachment 7668
Introduced in 1964, Tim Tams are now for sale in different international markets, including the US. Credit: Bilby/Wikipedia

The speculation is nothing new. Although there is no official statement from Arnott’s that the recipe has been changed, others have wondered if today’s Tim Tams are different because the biscuit producer is no longer Australian-owned. In 1997, the Campbell Soup Company of North America acquired the company, causing Australians to fear that the beloved local treats would be Americanised. Three years ago, Campbell then sold Arnott’s to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, an American private equity firm.

But could the author be eating Tim Tams wrong all along? A Redditor shared: ‘I used to be completely indifferent to Tim Tams and wondered why everyone thought they were so good… that is until I tried putting them in the fridge, and I’m not someone who typically keeps chocolate in the fridge. Trust me.’

Some might say that refrigerating Tim Tams is not groundbreaking as it has been a common practice. In fact, an Arnott’s survey found that 45 per cent kept their bikkies in the fridge. Those who preferred to store Tim Tams in their pantries stood at 43 per cent, while the rest used the freezer. (Yes, you read that right.)

Arnott’s did not settle the debate, but a former Tim Tam genie (the mascot) once answered the question on the Today Show. Apollo Jackson, who had the role before Neighbours star Tim Robards was named the new genie last year, said: ‘It depends what flavour you go with. For some, like caramel, where your fillings are probably a little bit better at room temperature, definitely keep them at room temperature. But more of your classic range can sometimes be really good refrigerated.’

The author of the Reddit post did not change her mind about Tim Tams but said that she is a fan of another iconic Australian product: ‘I love Vegemite, though, so maybe I’m not as disgusting as people think I am.’

What do you think? Are the choccy bikkies sacred, or are you not a fan? We’d love to know in the comments!
Hate Timtams. Never liked them &

View attachment 7664

View attachment 7668

I agree. I have never liked Tim Tams either and am also born and bred Aussie. There are a lot more delicious biscuits on the market.

View attachment 7664

View attachment 7668

I'm allergic to chocolate, so obviously not a Tim Tams fan! Used tolove taste of chocolate, but it makes me I'll except in the most minute amounts. So not worth it.

View attachment 7664

View attachment 7668

We don't mid Tim Tams, but are not huge fans. Might buy 6 packets a year. In fact these days, we rarely buy Arnotts. Half the biscuits are half the size now and none taste like they used too. If I buy biscuits it is usually Aldi Fruit and Bran biscuits...

View attachment 7664

View attachment 7668

Definately not a fan, too sickly sweet!

View attachment 7664

View attachment 7668

The Aldi one's are great and cheaper 😉

I can take them or leave them (mostly leave!) I think I might have bought only 5 or 6 packs in all the time I've lived here. I'm not a big biscuit eater, I prefer savory snacks. ;)

Reactions: Halona

View attachment 7664

View attachment 7668

Definit

View attachment 7664

View attachment 7668

Definitely NOT a fan of the Tim Tam. Just the smell turns my stomach and sends me into sugar shock! And there is something 'off' about the taste.
l NOT a fan of the TimTam. Just the smell sends me into sugar shock and there is something '0ff' about the taste. Sorry Aussies, but nah!

Reactions: Ricci
I guess it comes down to each to their own.. not everyone will like the icon treats.. but that's okay. They can't help being really weird not to love Tim Tams.. LOL!

Not a fan, never really have been. Even before I gave up sugar!!! I honestly really don't know what all the fuss is about! They are far too sweet and totally overrated. Iconic? How?
By the way; what is this "Aussie card", mentioned in the headline? Never heard of it and my family has been here for numerous generations!

Who

View attachment 7664

View attachment 7668

uses Tim Tams as a straw. A small bite out of two opposing corners and suck your hot coffee through it. Hold a Saucer under your chin as you devour it.

Love all things chocolate, eat some every day. Cherry Ripes are my favourite. Also love Vegemite, the thicker the better. But my sister has developed an allergery to chocolate in the last few yrs and can't eat it anymore and her son won't eat Vegemite, refused it right from babyhood.