10 surprising kitchen mistakes draining your wallet every day

The kitchen is the heart of the home, where meals are prepared and memories are made. But did you know it could also be where you're unknowingly wasting money?

Small habits and overlooked details can add to significant spending on groceries, utilities, and more.

Let's explore 10 ways you might unknowingly waste money in your kitchen and how to fix them.

1. Ignoring Your Fridge Coils

The fridge coils, often hidden and forgotten, can be a silent money drain. When covered in dust and grime, they can make your fridge less efficient, leading to higher power bills.

According to Fast Fridge Repairs, dirty coils could add $15 to $20 to your monthly power bill. Regular cleaning of these coils can help your fridge run more efficiently and save you money in the long run.

jason-briscoe-7MAjXGUmaPw-unsplash.jpg
Ten kitchen mistakes make you spend more. Credit: Unsplash

2. Overlooking Your Pantry Before Grocery Shopping

Before heading out for your grocery shopping, take a moment to check what you already have in your pantry and fridge.

This simple habit can prevent you from doubling up on items, especially perishable ones that need to be used quickly.

A well-planned shopping list can save you from unnecessary spending and reduce food waste.

3. Mismanaging Food Storage

Proper food storage is key to extending the shelf life of your groceries.

From using airtight containers to storing milk in the right section of the fridge, these small steps can prevent food from spoiling prematurely.

This means you won't have to replace items as frequently, saving you money.

4. Misunderstanding 'Use By' and 'Best Before' Dates

Many confuse 'use by' and 'best before' dates, leading to unnecessary food waste.

While 'use by' labels indicate when a product may no longer be safe to eat past a certain date, 'best before' dates simply suggest when the product may lose its quality.

Understanding these labels can help you make the most of your groceries and avoid throwing away perfectly good food.

According to Dr Rozita Vaskoska, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation's (CSIRO) Consumer Food Safety Spokesperson, ‘The use-by dates are very firm. The product shouldn't be used (past that date).'

But when it comes to ‘best before’ dates, she said that ‘they reflect the quality will drop after that date, it doesn’t mean it will be unsafe to use’.

5. Relying on Disposables Instead of Reusables

While paper towels, plastic wrap, and snap-lock bags are convenient, they can also be a constant drain on your budget by having you go for replacements as soon as they run out.

Consider investing in reusable alternatives like cloth towels, silicone ziplock bags, and glass containers. Not only are these options more environmentally friendly, but they can also save you money in the long run.

6. Pre-rinsing Dishes

Contrary to popular belief, pre-rinsing dishes before loading them into the dishwasher is not necessary.

This habit wastes a significant amount of water, leading to higher utility bills. Moreover, modern dishwashers are designed to detect the level of dirt on dishes and adjust their cleaning cycle accordingly.

By skipping the pre-rinse, you can save water and ensure your dishwasher cleans effectively.

7. Leaving Appliances on Standby

Leaving appliances like your microwave on standby may seem harmless, but it's actually using more power than you're paying for.

By turning off these appliances at the wall, you could save yourself $100 to $150 annually, according to Simply Energy.

A safer alternative is to invest in a ‘smart power board’. These devices are specifically designed to detect when an appliance should be cut off from its energy supply and then turn it off.

8. Overusing Cleaning Products

When it comes to cleaning products, less is often more. Overusing products like dishwashing powder and washing-up detergent not only leads to unnecessary spending but can also be less effective.

By using these products sparingly, you can make them last longer and save money.

9. Ignoring Leaky Taps

A leaking tap might seem like a minor annoyance, but it can lead to significant water waste over time. Some services estimate that a leaky tap can lead to about 260 litres of water lost yearly, amounting up to $200 in excess charges in the same time.

Fixing leaks promptly can save you money and conserve water, a precious resource.

10. Overusing the Oven

The oven is the most expensive cooking appliance in the kitchen. Consider using smaller appliances like the microwave or toaster where possible.

According to CHOICE, smaller appliances cost less to run, especially if they don't require pre-heating.

10 Kitchen Mistakes That Drains Your Wallet.jpg

While we've highlighted the top 10 ways you might be wasting money in your kitchen, it's also important to understand the hidden costs associated with your kitchen appliances.

Regular maintenance and timely repairs can help ensure your appliances are running efficiently, saving you money in the long run.

Moreover, when it's time to replace an appliance, consider investing in energy-efficient models. While these may cost more upfront, they can save you money in the long term through lower energy bills.
Key Takeaways
  • Keeping fridge coils clean can save $15 to $20 on your power bill each month by increasing appliance efficiency.
  • Checking existing food supplies before grocery shopping prevents doubling up on items, especially perishables, and can reduce food waste and overspending.
  • Correct food storage and understanding the difference between 'use by' and 'best before' dates can prolong food lifespans, preventing premature disposal and unnecessary repurchasing.
  • Utilising reusable items, fixing leaks, turning off standby appliances, using appropriate amounts of cleaning products, and opting for smaller cooking appliances can lead to significant savings on household expenses.
What other kitchen budget-saving tips do you do? Let us know your thoughts and any additional tips you might have in the comments below!

Sponsored
I agree Suzanne. I use paper towels for a lot of stuff and it’s always composted. Also have a tendency to leave tv’s & some appliances on standby. I always pre-rinse dishes before placing in the dishwasher. It keeps the filters cleaner & it never smells. I also will be staying with paper toilet rolls, washable cloths?, not in my household.

I'm afraid I use the small snaplock bags for my dog's food
I have two little tibetan spaniels and my intellectually disabled daughter loves to feed them as one of her "help mum"chores.
I weigh their food up and put it in the bags so she knows exactly how much to give them. I would probably end up with the two fattest dogs in WA if she was left to her own devices, lol.
I do rinse and reuse them several times and they take up less room in the fridge/freezer than containers.
It would actually take me less time to feed them myself,.but she loves to help and it makes her happy and that is more important than the cost of the bags.

A roll of paper towels lasts me many months as I prefer to use cloth for drying my dishes (don't have (& don't want) a dishwasher. I also have one tea towel which I keep for putting in the microwave to place under food for defrosting. Everything is turned off either at the wall or at an intermediate switch, except for the TV & video as they are not easily accessible.

Stupid Question ..WHAT ARE FRIDGE COILS.
Is it the grate at the back of the fridge. I dust that every time I clean under the fridge.
Is it the air vents inside the fridge?
Or is there something I don't know about?

Reactions: June E and Gsr
Is it the grate at the back of the fridge. I dust that every time I clean under the fridge.
Coils are round the back of the fridge but are enclosed on most fridges so would be a bit hard to dust. I dust the back cover when fridge is pulled out for cleaning underneath etc. My first fridge had exposed coils behind a grate thing on the back. I think it’s where cooling gases Are maybe.

I'm afraid I use the small snaplock bags for my dog's food
I have two little tibetan spaniels and my intellectually disabled daughter loves to feed them as one of her "help mum"chores.
I weigh their food up and put it in the bags so she knows exactly how much to give them. I would probably end up with the two fattest dogs in WA if she was left to her own devices, lol.
I do rinse and reuse them several times and they take up less room in the fridge/freezer than containers.
It would actually take me less time to feed them myself,.but she loves to help and it makes her happy and that is more important than the cost of the bags.
I love those Goliath Slider Bags from Aldi for dividing up food portions or marinating.

thumbnail_IMG_20231226_090318683.jpg

At about $2.69 for a 25 pack or about 11 cents each. Reusable if you wish and leakproof.

Coils are round the back of the fridge but are enclosed on most fridges so would be a bit hard to dust. I dust the back cover when fridge is pulled out for cleaning underneath etc. My first fridge had exposed coils behind a grate thing on the back. I think it’s where cooling gases Are maybe.
Correct!. Must be talking about old school fridges that came out after the advent of 240 volts!

A roll of paper towels lasts me many months as I prefer to use cloth for drying my dishes (don't have (& don't want) a dishwasher. I also have one tea towel which I keep for putting in the microwave to place under food for defrosting. Everything is turned off either at the wall or at an intermediate switch, except for the TV & video as they are not easily accessible.
We record alot of programs at night so tv is on for that but everything else that can be reached is off at the wall.

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB
The coils house the coolant that circulate around your fridge to make the cooling of the fridge work.
When covered in dust, the dust acts like an insulation keeping the coils warmer than what they should be thus reducing the cooling affect in your fridge.
The fridge then struggles a little bit to maintain the required temperature you want to keep your refrigerated items cool and forces your refrigerator to work harder, using more power.
If you have a cover over everything at the back of your fridge, take the cover off (quite easy to do - normally just a few screws) and use a hand broom to dust everything off, then reassemble. You'll do yourself a favor for the fridge efficiency and a reduction of power used to run it.
Maybe do this once every 12 months or so. They quite often don't really explain any of this when you purchase a new fridge.
More like they want the fridge to die so that you will forced to buy a new one lol
BTW, no question is a stupid question, especially if you don't know the answer to it :)

The coils house the coolant that circulate around your fridge to make the cooling of the fridge work.
When covered in dust, the dust acts like an insulation keeping the coils warmer than what they should be thus reducing the cooling affect in your fridge.
The fridge then struggles a little bit to maintain the required temperature you want to keep your refrigerated items cool and forces your refrigerator to work harder, using more power.
If you have a cover over everything at the back of your fridge, take the cover off (quite easy to do - normally just a few screws) and use a hand broom to dust everything off, then reassemble. You'll do yourself a favor for the fridge efficiency and a reduction of power used to run it.
Maybe do this once every 12 months or so. They quite often don't really explain any of this when you purchase a new fridge.
More like they want the fridge to die so that you will forced to buy a new one lol
BTW, no question is a stupid question, especially if you don't know the answer to it :)
Thank you I guess my cooking will now be done a little later now that I have something a little bit more important to do 😉