This recipe is for all you non cooks and for all you amazing cooks

• Easy
  • 0:15 Prep
  • 0:35 Cook
  • Makes 12

custard_sponge_slice_final-956127-1-2.jpg

Recipe by Australia's best

Ingredients​

• 1 pkt vanilla cake mix or make your own ( see notes)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 60g butter

FOR THE CUSTARD​

• 1/4 cup custard powder
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tbs caster sugar

FOR THE TOPPING​

• 20g butter, melted
  • 1 tbs caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Method​

1. Preheat oven to 160C or 140°C fan-forced. Grease a 27cm x 18cm slice tin and line it with baking paper.
  2. Prepare cake with eggs, milk and butter according to packet instructions. Pour half the batter into the prepared tin.
  3. Make custard by whisking custard powder into 1/4 cup milk to form a smooth liquid. Add the remaining milk and sugar. Whisk over gentle heat until just simmering, then continue stirring for another minute until custard has thickened.
  4. Pour custard over cake batter in slice tin and spread out evenly. Top with remaining cake batter and smooth the surface. Bake for 35 minutes. Brush melted butter over hot cake then sprinkle over combined caster sugar and cinnamon.
  5. Pour custard over cake batter in slice tin and spread out evenly. Top with remaining cake batter and smooth the surface. Bake for 35 minutes. Brush melted butter over hot cake then sprinkle over combined caster sugar and cinnamon

NOTES​

You don’t need to use a packet cake mix for this recipe but it makes it extra simple. Use your favourite vanilla cake recipe instead or check out my recipes where I have a few cake recipes

Reactions: Liz and SandyM
Sponsored
I made this today. Very nice. But, maybe it was my new fan forced oven, but I had to bake it a lot longer to get the cake cooked and the custard set nicely, at 140C. I added about 15-20 minutes at this temperature. Could have been mid-morning peak usage, not sure. But my neighbours and i are enjoying it. Thank you so much, Suzanne Rose.

Reactions: Littleboy8