‘They thought I was dead’: Grandfather becomes target of brutal scooter assault

Content warning: This article mentions physical violence against the elderly, which some might find upsetting. Reader’s discretion is advised.

Mark Smedley, a 63-year-old grandfather from Adelaide, was going about his day like any other.

As he sat at an intersection in his car, little did he know his life was about to change in an instant.

According to police, a group of young people approached Mark's car in Roy Tce and Gulfview Rd in Christies Beach on the afternoon of 23 January.

Without provocation, one member of the group threw a scooter at Mark's vehicle, shattering the back window.

When Mark got out to assess the damage, the alleged 24-year-old attacker assaulted him.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 11.57.07 AM.png
63-year-old Mark Smedley was allegedly assaulted by a 24-year-old. Credit: 7NEWS Australia

'He (the alleged offender) was just screaming like a madman, and the scooter went straight through the back window of the car,' Mark recalled.

Reports say the alleged attack left Mark lying on the road in a pool of blood.

‘A couple of witnesses said by the way they saw that scooter bounce off my head and the way I went down, they thought I was dead,’ Mark said.

‘I was just concerned if I shut my eyes and passed out again, the inside images of this ambulance might be the last thing I see.’

Witnesses rushed to help Mark before paramedics arrived.

Mark suffered a fractured skull, as well as injuries to his hand and knee, requiring surgery. He was also traumatised to leave his home.

‘You don’t expect someone to walk up to your car and smash the window out,’ he said.

Police said the 24-year-old man was accused of hitting Mark. But the alleged attacker then assaulted two responding police officers, injuring one officer seriously.

The man faced multiple offences, including aggravated assault causing harm.

At his first court appearance, prosecutors alleged he had 121 prior convictions and breached his bail conditions 17 times.

Court documents also revealed he had conditions that affected his brain development, like fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

He claimed in court that Mark ran over his foot.

You can watch coverage of this unsettling event below: (Disclaimer: This video contains graphic images)

Credit: 7NEWS Australia / YouTube

Sadly, physical violence against seniors isn’t exactly rare in Australia.

In a previous story, two women aged 63 and 58 were reportedly attacked by a patient in a hospital’s ER department.

The same assailant was alleged to have inflicted bodily harm on their 81-year-old mum. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Mark Smedley, a 63-year-old granddad, was allegedly attacked with a scooter at an intersection in Christies Beach, Adelaide, sustaining serious injuries, including a fractured skull.
  • Witnesses reported that the attack was unprovoked and violent, believing Mark to be dead after the incident.
  • The alleged offender, a 24-year-old man with previous convictions, also assaulted two police officers during his arrest. He faces multiple charges, including aggravated assault causing harm.
Have you or someone else experienced the same situation? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Since the Labor govt. let all these criminals freeM imported millions of people who are not skilled to do honest work, (they are skilled to rob and murder) and more and boats full of criminals arrive here (not genuine refugees). Crime is more than ever and out of control! No one is safe anymore. The police do their best to get these criminal demons behind bars, but they all get bail over and over and over again. LABOR HAS TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1708547274375.png

The courts should be held responsible for injury to anyone they have allowed back into society. Police should not have to re-arrest the same person numerous times. No wonder we need to employ more and more police. They obviously are incapable to provide safety to their fellow citizens when they apprehend someone who then thumbs their nose at authority. Mental health is no excuse and they used to be housed in a safe institution, another failure by governments.

Labor and Liberal have to go. It's time for a new government. Nobody could do any worse if they tried. The average person on the street could do a better job than these dickheads.

I feel for the police and the victims of what is happening all over Australia. Get the magistrates to sentence these people to hard time for what they do, not excuses for mental health issues. If they have mental issues incarcerate them in mental health facilities - they are usually tougher than prisons. I agree with @Tamaya, these facilities should be in the middle of nowhere.

The wisest of us would keep driving....

and why is 'soccer' in that article headline ?

Noticing the usual number of fence sitters too. We are all in this together . Everyone of us.....

There needs to be tougher penalties and jail time for these offenders. Scare needs to be put into these people before the crime happens. Make examples of people so hopefully it is a deterrent to others.

Also take away luxury from prison, if they do a crime then they need to do hard time
I agree that they need to actually carry out the sentence given and if parole conditions are breached they need to be returned to prison to complete their original sentence incarcerated. However making sentences tougher to send a message and act as a deterrent wouldn’t really work as most don’t think they’ll be caught or don’t care. If tougher sentencing worked you wouldn’t have so many in gaol and certainly not sitting on death row waiting to be executed in the US.

Reactions: Fanger and Bridgit
The wisest of us would keep driving....

and why is 'soccer' in that article headline ?

Noticing the usual number of fence sitters too. We are all in this together . Everyone of us.....
I'm not sure I could just drive off if this happened to me. I know 100% my husband wouldn't drive off nor would my sons

Did you read the heading properly It states SCOOTER not SOCCER

I agree that they need to actually carry out the sentence given and if parole conditions are breached they need to be returned to prison to complete their original sentence incarcerated. However making sentences tougher to send a message and act as a deterrent wouldn’t really work as most don’t think they’ll be caught or don’t care. If tougher sentencing worked you wouldn’t have so many in gaol and certainly not sitting on death row waiting to be executed in the US.
Tougher sentencing would work. My nephew is again incarcerated and it doesn't bother him as he gets great food, still works out has a TV in his room ect and whenever he is locked up he has friends in whichever prison he gets locked up in.

Maybe if all these things are taken away and they are made to work hard they may think twice

My father is in Maitland jail and ge told my half brother it's like a holiday farm. My father is 82.

This is why I don't have contact with this side of my family