‘Must be the end times’: Find out which popular veggie now costs an astonishing $18!

In a world where the cost of living is constantly on the rise, it is not just the fuel and electricity prices that are giving Australians, especially our seniors, a cause for concern.

The latest shock comes from the produce aisle, where the humble cabbage, once a staple of budget-friendly meals, has seen its price soar to levels that would make even the most frugal shoppers' eyes water.

Customers across the nation have taken to social media platforms to voice their disbelief and frustration over the exorbitant price hike of cabbages at supermarkets like Woolworths and Coles, and various independent retailers.

The price tag shock is real, with reports from a Gold Coast shopper about a half head of cabbage sold for a staggering $13. In Brisbane, a whole cabbage is now up to $18.

One shopper's reaction captured the public’s general sentiment: 'Thirteen bucks for half a cabbage ..... I’mma have to pass,' they lamented online.

cabbage.PNG
A half head of cabbage now costs $13, as seen in Gold Coast. Credit: Reddit

Another added a touch of dark humour to the conversation, 'Aren’t we meant to slowly starve to death on cabbage soup? Can’t even afford Great Depression meals in this economy.'

The price surge has turned what was once a humble and affordable vegetable into a luxury item, with comments like 'Ah, must be the end times when sauerkraut becomes a luxury product,' highlighting the absurdity of the situation.

But what's behind this dramatic increase in price? According to spokespersons from both Woolworths and Coles, the supermarkets are grappling with an industry-wide cabbage shortage.

The cause? Excessive heat and rainfall in the growing regions have wreaked havoc on supply. These challenging climate conditions across multiple states in Australia have had a significant impact on the availability of cabbages this summer.

In the meantime, Coles has suggested that customers look for value in other vegetables, such as cauliflower, pumpkin, and brushed potatoes.

However, for those who rely on cabbage for its nutritional benefits and versatility in cooking, this is cold comfort.

While supermarkets are working closely with growers to resolve the issue in the coming weeks, it is a stark reminder of how vulnerable our food systems are.

The situation also sheds light on the broader issue of food security and affordability. As the market price for fruit and vegetables is determined by factors such as supply, demand, seasonality, and weather, it's clear that our food costs are at the mercy of an increasingly unpredictable climate.

These price hikes can be particularly challenging especially for those who live on fixed incomes. It is important to stay informed about which fruits and vegetables are in season and more affordable, and to adapt our shopping habits accordingly.

It may also be a good time to explore growing some of your own produce if you have the space and ability, as a way to mitigate against these price shocks.
Key Takeaways

• Shoppers have expressed their outrage on social media over the exorbitant prices of cabbages at Woolworths, Coles, and independent retailers.
  • The rise in cabbage prices is due to an industry-wide shortage caused by extreme weather conditions affecting the supply.
  • Customers have remarked on the irony of cabbage, typically a budget food item, becoming so expensive that it's seen as a luxury.
  • Woolworths and Coles spokespersons have both acknowledged the supply issues and anticipate that availability should improve in the coming weeks. They also suggest other vegetables as alternatives for value.
We'd love to hear from you about how these rising costs are affecting your grocery shopping. Do you have any creative solutions or alternatives to manage your budget? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Vegetables are seasonal in a lot of cases, also weather DOES play a large part too... look at the banana prices after Yasi hit Queensland? Have we turned into a woke society where we walk around with out eyes and ears closed to everything???

Certainly hope people aren't stupid enough to buy at that price.
That's a green light for supermarkets to keep high prices because they know people will pay.

It's true cabbages are in short supply, but it's not an essential imo Coles in SA don't have any.

I went to buy 1 small red capsicum. When I scanned it, I called the self serve supervisor over and said " I'm sorry, but I am not going to pay $3.96 for 1 small capsicum". Ridiculous when I could drive 18 Kilometers and buy 5 for $3.99 at a small convenience store.

so in the end my thinking is that those cabbage will just go to waste if they are so expensive nobody will buy them they should have them cheap they would make way more money if thy sold them for $2.00 otherewise they will make nothing because they will end up giving them to food bank for free or throwing them out.

My husband is bemoaning the price of cabbage as he says he can't have corned beef without cabbage! He's going to make corned beef in the Dreampot tomorrow and he is going to have to bite the bullet and have broccoli instead!! :)

Shortage of cabbages or not, you can bet your life that Coles and Woolies are not paying farmers anywhere near the price they they are charging customers. It’s merely another excuse to price gouge.

My husband is bemoaning the price of cabbage as he says he can't have corned beef without cabbage! He's going to make corned beef in the Dreampot tomorrow and he is going to have to bite the bullet and have broccoli instead!! :)
On Last Saturday, I bought a full cabbages for just $5 from Flemington markets, fresh one

Reactions: Rosita1950
Last Wednesday blueberries in my local Coles $4.90, Saturday $6.20 !!!! No I didn't buy them.

• Wow
Reactions: Lolali