Young mum bakes cakes for strangers—the reason why will warm your heart!

In the shadows of our bustling communities lie pockets of hardship, where children's laughter can sometimes be drowned out by the harsh realities of life.

While grand gestures and large-scale initiatives are admirable, this young mum shows us that even small acts of kindness can make a profound impact.

In the bustling kitchen of her home, Alexa Henry carefully balances her toddler on one hip while her hands artfully spread her signature buttercream over a rich chocolate cake.

This isn't just any cake, though; it's a labour of love destined for a child she's never met, a child who, without Alexa's kindness, might not have a birthday cake to make a wish on.

cakes4kids.png
Alexa donated her time and money to bake kids for at-risk children in her area. Image Source: Instagram / @cake4kids

Since June 2023, this young mother has been using her baking talents to bring joy to at-risk and underprivileged children in her local area.

Her journey began when she became a mother and started looking for ways to contribute positively to her community.

That's when she discovered Cakes4Kids, a volunteer-run organisation that supports youth up to age 24 in various challenging situations, including foster care, homeless shelters, and domestic violence programs.

Alexa's motivation is deeply personal. ‘As a mum, I couldn't fathom a child not having a cake on their special day,’ she said.

‘Having my first child got me thinking seriously about the responsibility of raising the next generation and how I can be a better role model.’

Despite her love for baking, Alexa admits that cake decorating was not her forte.

However, her commitment to the cause pushed her to improve her skills.

'I was woefully lacking in the decorating department,' she said with a laugh.

However, her dedication to making a difference gave her the patience and focus she needed to learn and excel.

She said, ‘Joining the mission though gave me a reason to slow down, focus, and connect…I found myself willing to work harder and devote the time needed to learning those skills when I knew it was going towards a wonderful cause.’

Signing up to bake at least one cake a month, Alexa fully funds and purchases the necessary items for each cake.

She often receives specific requests for themes or flavours, but sometimes she has the freedom to choose, drawing inspiration from her own daughter's interests.

‘I often choose cakes with themes my daughter enjoys because I like to talk to her about what I’m doing and why,’ she explained.

‘It’s important to me that she grows up seeing her parents engage with the community and give back wherever possible so that it becomes a part of her too.’

The first cake Alexa made with her daughter as her sous chef was a two-tiered dinosaur-themed masterpiece for a young child's birthday.

She spent several hours meticulously layering the cakes and skillfully icing the vibrant dinosaur design for a child.

She said, ‘It was my first time ever doing a tiered cake. I was so excited to be able to give that gift to a child.’

Alexa expressed that witnessing the expressions on the faces of children makes all the effort worthwhile.

The experience was unforgettable for her, marking the beginning of a journey that would see her create 15 cakes and cupcakes for various celebrations, including birthdays, school graduations, and even adoptions.

She encourages everyone to find their own way to give back. She said, ‘I hope everyone in a position to give back will seek out ways that are meaningful for them.’

‘Every little bit of ourselves and our time is valuable, so whatever you can give to others makes more of an impact than you know.’

For our readers who feel inspired by Alexa's story and wish to contribute to a similar cause here in Australia, consider reaching out to Cake Angels.

This organisation aims to make special events even more meaningful by baking cakes for seriously ill children.

It's a wonderful way to use your baking skills to spread happiness and make a difference in a child's life.

For our readers who aspire to contribute in similar ways but feel they need more experience in the realm of baking, you can check out this vanilla cake with buttercream recipe by our member @Suzanne rose !
Key Takeaways

• Mum Alexa Henry bakes and donates cakes for at-risk and underprivileged children to celebrate their birthdays and important milestones.
  • Alexa is involved with the organisation Cakes4Kids and commits to making at least one cake a month, fully funding and purchasing the items herself.
  • She works on improving her baking and decorating skills for the cause, taking inspiration from her own child's interests.
  • To date, Alexa has made 15 cakes and cupcakes for various celebrations and encourages others to find meaningful ways to give back to their communities.
Have you or anyone you know ever volunteered your time or skills to make someone else's day a little brighter? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
It is so rewarding doing volunteering work for others.

Upto when I became sick I used to go to the local school even after my kids finished school to do one on one reading with a child.

I also made sure our neighbour was fed by making soup and taking whatever we had each night into him. I did this up to he went into hospital but sadly passed away at 64

I would definitely volunteer to make cakes !! 🎂 Infact I'm going to contact Cakes4kids now to see if I can join.
I also make the best vegan birthday cakes and would be willing to do one or two amonth including cupcakes 🧁

It is so heartening to see that there are good people out there who care about others.
Unfortunately, it is so easy to criticise the younger generation without taking to a moment to realise that not everyone is the same.
This is a great initiative that can make a difference between a sad day or a cheerful happy birthday song and candles.
Bless them all.

For a few years l was volunteering on afternoon shifts twice or more weekly for the SALVATION CARELINE TELEPHONE COUNSELLING. This even once included Christmas Day. A very satisfying way to give back to the community. I only stopped when they changed location.

Two if my daughters said they would also love to bake cakes for children.

Cakes4kids is American.
My daughters will make contact with cake angel's tomorrow.
Such an amazing idea .

What Exactly do The Cake Angels do and How does it work?​

Cake Angels was established in 2011, by founder Kirsty Bishop-Fox.

The thought of being able to donate unique, personalised and beautiful cakes to sick and disadvantaged children and their families appealed to many in the Caking world. Once the idea was formed it quickly grew.

In August 2012 The Australian Cake Angels Network became an Incorporated Association and is now a registered Charity.

The not for profit organisation is managed by a small group of dedicated and passionate people.

Cake Angels aim to help relieve a family’s stress at special times like birthdays by donating a beautiful cake to a sick or dying child. The child may need to be hospitalised on their birthday, the parents may be suffering financially or the family as a whole may have been through so much that a little extra something is warranted. In some cases, a special celebration may be being held, particularly if it’s not expected that the child will survive until their next birthday due to a deterioration in their condition.

All of our Cake Angels recipients are referred to us by select charities who support seriously ill kids. These organisations nominate children who are either in hospital, suffering terminal illness, or in the early stages of recovery or who may have missed their last birthday celebration due to illness. We believe every little bit of joy can make all the difference. We also support the Make a wish and Starlight wish foundations by providing beautiful cakes to enhance the magic of the child’s wish – making it just that little bit more exciting and special.

Cake Angels is supported completely by incredibly generous volunteers, some are hobbyists and some run their own cake decorating business. All have not only a love of baking cakes, but also the desire to support a deserving cause and to make a difference, by bringing a smile to a seriously ill child when they can. These amazing volunteers provide all of the ingredients, their time to make the cake and most of the time deliver it too. We think we have the best volunteers in the world.

Unless you’ve faced a situation like this, its hard to understand how much a Life threatening and/or life limiting illness or injury can affect a family. A Child’s innocence and vulnerability often make it difficult for them to comprehend what they are going through. We just hope that by providing one happy moment which brings a smile to their face, can create a cherished memory for them and their families.

To contact us please email your queries to – [email protected]

Last edited:
Two if my daughters said they would also love to bake cakes for children.

My daughter will contact cakes4kids tomorrow.
Yes counselling wasn't easy & l was sort of on call to fill a shift if someone couldn't do it. At that time run out of a Men's Hostel.

I believe you & your daughters are marvellous with things you all achieve. Angels in disguise, perhaps?

Sorry to hear things didn't quite go as expected. Just hope you are still able to achieve your dreams in some way. Please take care. Sight unseen, you are still a precious on line friend