You won't believe the grocery prices in this vintage Woolworths ad!

Nostalgia can paint the past with a rosy hue, especially concerning the cost of living.

A trip down memory lane isn't complete without a dreamy sigh over the prices of yesteryear.

A vintage advertisement recently made the rounds on social media, stirring up fond memories and disbelief at how much prices have soared.

The advert—considered a relic from the early 2000s—resurfaced courtesy of a now-deleted post on social media and caused quite a stir.

The video showcased Safeway's (Woolworths’s former name) hot deals of the week and featured Australian favourites like Tim Tams, Pizza Shapes, and a family pack of 30 Coke cans, all for prices that seem almost too good to be true by today's standards.

compressed-ad2.jpeg
A vintage ad of Woolworths (formerly Safeway) made rounds on social media and highlighted the low prices of several goods. Image Credit: Instagram/Bogans__.

In the earlier days, shoppers could get a packet of Pizza Shapes for less than $1, and the entire shopping list from the ad totalled a mere $44.33.

Fast forward to 2024, grocery shopping has shifted dramatically.

The items that seemed like a steal back then now come with hefty price tags.

Inflation, economic shifts, and changing consumer habits have all contributed to the rising costs of our beloved grocery items.

A family value pack of Coke cans that were once a bargain now costs more than the entire shopping list from the early 2000s.

Recreating the ad’s shopping trip with the same items would set shoppers back a little over $105, even accounting for the occasional special offer.

woolworths receipt.jpg
A comparison of items and prices from the now-deleted ad and current prices as seen in Woolworth's stores. Source: Instagram/Bogans__.

This contrast has resonated with many, particularly in light of the current cost-of-living crisis affecting Aussies.

‘Stop it! This breaks my heart being reminded of this!’ one exclaimed.

‘Those were the days. Greed took over,’ another commenter said.

‘The whole idea of rounding out usually meant to the nearest upper amount. 67c without 1c 2c coins is cute...it's 70c!’ a third shared.

Amid the outcry, other commenters reminded people of the nature of economics.

‘You don't understand economics at all. Compare the price of literally anything in the early 2000s and now,’ one commenter wrote.

‘Inflation, when controlled correctly, is essential to the growth of a country.’

Another commenter pointed out, ‘There's a reason they call inflation a tax on the poor.’

While nostalgia can make us long for past prices, money's value changes over time.

The lesson here is to be more mindful of our spending, seek discounts and specials, and reminisce while finding ways to make the most of our present circumstances.
Key Takeaways

• A nostalgic Woolworths advert from the early 2000s has resurfaced and highlighted the significant increase in grocery costs.
  • Viewers expressed heartache and frustration over the rising cost of living after comparing the past and current prices of select items.
  • The video showed that $44 worth of items in the early 2000s would now cost over $105.
  • While some lament over the increase, others attribute it to economic growth and inflation, a necessary aspect of a developing economy.
What are your thoughts on the advert and the rising cost of groceries? Share your experiences and stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
My reply is about the coin rounding up/down.

when paying by credit card I had to stop the cashier from rounding because it’s irrelevant on the statement. Took awhile it seems, now it’s very rare. If I did pay by cash, it never ever went down, I can assure you.

Reactions: Rob44
When I were a young lad, my room rent was a mere $4, precisely 1/3rd of what I was paid a week.

Herewith my recollection of my budget. Side of hogget purporting to be lamb, $3; milk, 4cents a pint; eggs, 98cents a dozen; bread, 9 cents a loaf; butter 34cents a lb; room rent $4 a week. Bacon, unaffordable.

Reactions: MariaG
At first glance I was concerned but then I read the list - items that, even 20 years ago with teenagers in the home were only occasional "treats" (BTW as a child pretty much the only time we had soft drink at home was Christmas or a birthday treat).... this is a great list of Ultra-processed foods [sic] to be avoided: