Should Voluntary Assisted Dying be legal in all Australian states/territories?

• Yes (ACT and NT should legalise)

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • No (shouldn't be legal)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Other (Will explain in comments)

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
I have always been against it, can't help it, it is just the way I feel.
What if something happens that could change the situation? Is pressure
Being put on the person claiming they want to be euthanised, I don't believe there is an afterlife. So there is no gaurantee of fading away into
the sunset. You are dead, lifeless
Let nature do its job,

I have always been against it, can't help it, it is just the way I feel.
What if something happens that could change the situation? Is pressure
Being put on the person claiming they want to be euthanised, I don't believe there is an afterlife. So there is no gaurantee of fading away into
the sunset. You are dead, lifeless
Let nature do its job,
It's almost like people are making it a heroic thing to do

1989, a young woman aged 31yrs was almoxt screaming with back pain. It seemed that this would be a lifetime affliction. She begs my fiancee to help her acquire a chemical to cause her death. I was asked about doing this and I said NO. Why? well I believed that the pain would be resolved and she could go on living a fruitful life. 6 weeks later a doctor decided that an operation MAY help reduce the pain.
So the operation took place and with 14 days she was relieved of the pain.
I believe that VAD is a form of suicide.
To deny that fact is certainly incorrect.
Even when Local Doctors say :there is no more we can do" ... Then along come another Doctor saying he believe it is possible to reverse an affliction.. Would you still say ... Kill me? .. Would your family still say Kell Him/Her because we want his money or property?
I don't agree with the idea as it is bordering on Suicide. WHICH IS ILLEGAL .
NSW had a situation where a doctor could, at the wish of the family, end a life for another.
I know that as least one of the children did NOT agree but the doctors went ahead with it .
IT WAS WRONG. The lady could not voice her opinion and pain was NOT obvious.
There are enough states to visit for a death wish.. Forcing it on States that say NO is only trying to justify YOUR opinion.
If you have it in your state the leave other alone...let them make their own decision NT has been there and back. Why are you wanting ro force it upon them
When asked by a Doctor do you want to be resusitated?'... I reply Doctor you have signed an oath to do all in your power to keep people alive and well..... anything else is against your own oath. If another doctor asks me that question again I will force my way OUT of that hospital.
That is a very strong argument that you want to push onto others. In my opinion, we are all responsible for deciding when we want to die it seems only fair as I don't believe in life after death so I am not going against any mythical god's expectations. In fact, I want to live forever so at the moment I have no plans to end my wonderful life but if things in the health department go wrong then I would think quite differently & reassess my thinking.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
This has so many Grey areas .

As a Christian I would not do it. In the 10 commandments it says " thou shall not kill " this is murder and suicide.
In Gods eyes murder is murder whether you kill someone else or yourself.

For me and I'm speaking only for me. Jesus suffered terribly even as he carried his Cross and I have to carry my own cross
I'm in constant pain and it's my belief in God that keeps me going

Time on earth is so short compared to eternal life. If you don't get it right in this life you won't have eternal life.

I do however believe most people do have a choice as to whether they want to end their life or not.
In saying this the person needs to be of sound mind and at least their doctor and 2 other doctors need to sign off on it plus another person of authority.

Today you can be in pain and then it can change.

I had a friend who was 10 weeks pregnant and was bleeding bad . The doctor told her there was no way the baby would be alive with that much bleeding. They put her in hospital for a curette and last minute the nurse agreed to bring in a machine to check if there was a heartbeat. And there was , to cut a story short she went full term with no further problems and gave birth to a healthy boy. If it was for this nurse , my friends baby would have been aborted.

Sometimes we don't and can't see how something we feel won't change can actually change.

If a relative or close friend decided to end their life like this, I wouldn't help them do it but I would be there with them , holding their hand and praying 🙏
I agree with you, it's akin to suicide and there is always hope and prayers for the poor people suffering, mostly prayers.

I am concerned that people who have dementia are not able to access VAD despite any planning or inclusion in their Advanced Health Directive - a letter in the West Australian Friday March 3rd told a perfect example:-

I read with interest that Mark McGowan wants a national conversation regarding extending voluntary assisted dying to people with dementia (News, 1/3).

Anyone who has watched a loved one decline with this illness would never want to get it themselves.

At the moment we are able to have a health directive where it is possible to set out what treatment we want, or do not want.

In the event we need to be resuscitated, we can legally ask for this not to happen.

We can also make a decision to refuse treatment that may prolong our life under certain conditions.

Why then, while we are still of sound mind, can’t we request VAD when dementia reaches a certain stage?

Dementia is much more than just cognitive decline. My husband was in care for almost 10 years. It is a cruel, inhuman death.

You become incontinent, lose the ability to talk, to walk, to feed yourself. You become totally bedridden.

In the end you can’t swallow properly and have choking fits. You are just waiting to die.

Love is not just about holding on. It is also about letting go, and sometimes help is needed to allow this to happen.

Let us not forget that dementia, like cancer, is a terminal condition, and yet sufferers are not afforded the same rights.

Patricia Anda, Spencer Park

Your Say Sunday: Legalising Voluntary Assisted Dying

Hello members!

I thought we might put our thinking hats on and tackle a contentious question this week.

Today, we're looking at 'Voluntary Assisted Dying'. Currently, while legislation has been passed in all states to allow for Voluntary Assisted Dying, it still remains illegal in the territories (ACT and NT). So the question is...

Remember to be kind and courteous to differing options. This is a place for healthy discussion.

It should legal in every state and territory in Australia..... The forcing of someone to die in agony for such a prolonged period is tantamount to premeditated torture..... We all need the right to die with dignity and any body who is against that is guilty of being a sadistic torturer

I know my opinion will be unpopular, but you DID ask.
If Saint Peter hates queue-jumpers as much as I do, that is enough to stop me doing it.
Eternity is a Hell of a long time, as it were.

This is probably the most individual of questions one can ever be asked. Many people suffer through illnesses and feel that death would be preferable such as cancer. When you recover the world seems brighter, the trees are greener because you felt at one stage they would be taken away from you. VAD is not something any one would consider lightly. I do respect someone's ability to end their life if living is totally unbearable. This subject need to be talked about more so everyone can have a much better understanding of what is involved and not be such a taboo subject.

How much suffering do individuals have to go through? Choice is a very important issue. It is appropriate for palliative care to be offered, but it is often insufficient. There is no pain like psychological distress, knowing that you will have no control over the quality of your life as you lie unable to communicate your physical pain, let alone your personal needs and wishes.

Reactions: IAN3005
I know my opinion will be unpopular, but you DID ask.
If Saint Peter hates queue-jumpers as much as I do, that is enough to stop me doing it.
Eternity is a Hell of a long time, as it were.
And if you do this and end your life , I wouldn't want to feel the pain in eternity .

As a Christian your response was short and so too the point

Your Say Sunday: Legalising Voluntary Assisted Dying

Hello members!

I thought we might put our thinking hats on and tackle a contentious question this week.

Today, we're looking at 'Voluntary Assisted Dying'. Currently, while legislation has been passed in all states to allow for Voluntary Assisted Dying, it still remains illegal in the territories (ACT and NT). So the question is...

Remember to be kind and courteous to differing options. This is a place for healthy discussion.

It should be a commonwealth law as the need for a dignified death in rotten circumstances applies to everyone.

What worries me is this will be the start of something people will regret .

First they will legalise this.

Then we will find people who don't want it will be put to sleep eg nursing homes, hospitals.

Then it will be people with illnesses that are costing the government money both in paying them a pension or who are costing the government money through medical expenses.

Hmm Some may find this a bit far fetched but is it really.

When we allow things to happen then it opens it for further things

Personally I believe in the sanctity of all life. That every life is to be valued. As a Christian I deem the act of taking your life or the life of someone else abhorrent and wrong. We are entering a slippery slope.

Legalised Abortions
Legalised Euthanasia
Legalised Suicide

What is the world coming too if life is deemed so cheap as to make it easy to take it. Will someone defend themselves in court for murder by saying they only wanted to alleviate the victims pain? How many unwanted elderly or physically incapacitated relatives will be killed? For the convenience of those who will benefit by their deaths?

I work in Aged care. We see clients suffer every day. I am a firm believer in VAD and had several discussions within our family. There are alot of considerations and hurdles to get through before a Doctor can assist with this. This decison shouldn't be taken lightly. My Father in Law & ex husband both passed suffering with Pancreatic Cancer. I am sure they may of looked at VAD if the option was open to them.

A world map shows the countries that now allow assisted suicide. 🧬🧬

Suicide.jpeg