Your letters could soon cost you more! Australia Post plans to increase stamp prices

Even when many of our communications turned digital, there’s nothing quite like the affection and thoughtfulness in a handwritten letter to stay connected with family and friends.

But unfortunately, we have to report that soon, postage stamps could be more expensive than before.

Under the proposed changes by Australia Post, the cost of a standard stamp is set to leap from $1.20 to $1.50 in January next year. This is a 25 per cent increase that would affect all kinds of letters, from postcards to your friend’s Sunday letters.

It may not sound like much, but it does add up–the average household would pay an extra $4.50 a year to send around 15 letters.

compressed-3 (1) (1).jpeg
Australia Post proposed new prices for standard stamps. Credit: Martha Almeyda/Shutterstock

However, the price of concession stamps and seasonal greetings stamps will stay the same.

Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Paul Graham has said that an increase in basic stamp prices is deemed necessary for Australia Post to remain financially viable.

'As we are entirely self-funded and receive no ongoing government funding, we need to ensure we reduce losses in our letters business,' Graham said.

The company recently reported a $384.1 million loss in its Letters business.

‘The average household sends around 15 letters a year and, if implemented, the proposed increase would cost about $4.50 extra a year,’ an Australia Post spokesperson said.

This comes after the company raised the basic postage rate from $1.10 to $1.20 on January 3, 2023, the first increase since 2020.

The company acknowledged everyone may not welcome the proposed change and has put forward a proposal to the Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to give the public an opportunity to have their say on the proposed price rise.

The ACCC can’t approve the rise but can lodge an objection to it–if you think the prices are unfair, we recommend you have your say.

‘We would like to hear from consumers, businesses and other stakeholders about their views on Australia Post’s proposed price increase,’ ACCC Commissioner Anna Brakey stated.

The consultation closes on 29 September 2023. You can learn more and make your voice heard by visiting the ACCC website here.

In our previous article, SDC members voiced their concerns about the changes proposed by Australia Post.

Member @Jan A wrote: ‘Email is a fabulous way of communicating with others, but not everyone has it. My much-loved 99-year-old aunt, who lives in New York, does not have any electronic gear. She enjoys receiving letters. I write to her about every 4 weeks. She is the only person I write letters to any more. She tells me that [she] gets herself a cup of tea or coffee to have while she reads the letters. It's nice to know I am bringing her some happiness in her day.’

‘I still write and get letters via Australia Post. What is to become of my favourite posties?’ member @Liz shared.

However, some of them mentioned that they resorted to the digital alternative.

Member @Suzanne rose said: ‘I do most of my mail sending and receiving through emails, it's free, it's safer, and you can print it out if you really have to. And the amount of paper it saves is incredible.’

‘Birthday and Christmas cards are the only mail I still send, but this is solely because I make those cards myself,’ member @Trudi wrote in a comment.

‘Ten years ago, I used to get a lot of mail because then I had four rental properties across Australia plus my own home, and there was what appeared to be an endless stream of bills and bank statements arriving by mail. I have since sold two properties, and I have changed to email for bills and access my bank statements online,’ the member added.

Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post has proposed a 25 per cent increase to the price of stamps, from $1.20 to $1.50 from January next year.
  • Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Paul Graham said the increase is necessary for Australia Post to remain financially viable, given its recent loss of $384.1 million in its Letters business.
  • The Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has received a draft proposal for the increase and wants to hear from businesses and other stakeholders about their views.
  • The ACCC cannot approve the price rise but can object to it. The consultation on the proposal is now open until September 29.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you think the increase is justified? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
While I don't write letters (never have in all my life) I do love to send cards for every occasion - & even non-occasion (is that a word?). It's nice to receive a card when you are sick or feeling blue or "just because".
Having said that, you do not improve profits by raising prices - you improve profits by giving better service & this is where AP has fallen way short of the mark. It's not our local post office at fault; it is the way mail is processed. It goes from local PO to one sorting facility many miles from where it was posted, to another sorting facility even further away before coming back to a facility closer to its destination before going to the required local PO for delivery. All this handling costs money & this is where AP can save lots of money & get our mail to us on time.

How about they pay the CEO and other high ranking staff less wages they are all overpaid . You only have to look at Alan Joyce that should be enough , he ruined a good Aussie icon to push his own agenda and now he is running forcover and others are left to clean the mess he left.

Even when many of our communications turned digital, there’s nothing quite like the affection and thoughtfulness in a handwritten letter to stay connected with family and friends.

But unfortunately, we have to report that soon, postage stamps could be more expensive than before.

Under the proposed changes by Australia Post, the cost of a standard stamp is set to leap from $1.20 to $1.50 in January next year. This is a 25 per cent increase that would affect all kinds of letters, from postcards to your friend’s Sunday letters.

It may not sound like much, but it does add up–the average household would pay an extra $4.50 a year to send around 15 letters.

View attachment 29201
Australia Post proposed new prices for standard stamps. Credit: Martha Almeyda/Shutterstock

However, the price of concession stamps and seasonal greetings stamps will stay the same.

Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Paul Graham has said that an increase in basic stamp prices is deemed necessary for Australia Post to remain financially viable.

'As we are entirely self-funded and receive no ongoing government funding, we need to ensure we reduce losses in our letters business,' Graham said.

‘The average household sends around 15 letters a year and, if implemented, the proposed increase would cost about $4.50 extra a year,’ an Australia Post spokesperson said.

This comes after the company raised the basic postage rate from $1.10 to $1.20 on January 3, 2023, the first increase since 2020.

The company acknowledged everyone may not welcome the proposed change and has put forward a proposal to the Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to give the public an opportunity to have their say on the proposed price rise.

The ACCC can’t approve the rise but can lodge an objection to it–if you think the prices are unfair, we recommend you have your say.

‘We would like to hear from consumers, businesses and other stakeholders about their views on Australia Post’s proposed price increase,’ ACCC Commissioner Anna Brakey stated.

The consultation closes on 29 September 2023. You can learn more and make your voice heard by visiting the ACCC website here.

In our previous article, SDC members voiced their concerns about the changes proposed by Australia Post.

Member @Jan A wrote: ‘Email is a fabulous way of communicating with others, but not everyone has it. My much-loved 99-year-old aunt, who lives in New York, does not have any electronic gear. She enjoys receiving letters. I write to her about every 4 weeks. She is the only person I write letters to any more. She tells me that [she] gets herself a cup of tea or coffee to have while she reads the letters. It's nice to know I am bringing her some happiness in her day.’

‘I still write and get letters via Australia Post. What is to become of my favourite posties?’ member @Liz shared.

Member @Suzanne rose said: ‘I do most of my mail sending and receiving through emails, it's free, it's safer, and you can print it out if you really have to. And the amount of paper it saves is incredible.’

‘Birthday and Christmas cards are the only mail I still send, but this is solely because I make those cards myself,’ member @Trudi wrote in a comment.

‘Ten years ago, I used to get a lot of mail because then I had four rental properties across Australia plus my own home, and there was what appeared to be an endless stream of bills and bank statements arriving by mail. I have since sold two properties, and I have changed to email for bills and access my bank statements online,’ the member added.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post has proposed a 25 per cent increase to the price of stamps, from $1.20 to $1.50 from January next year.
  • Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Paul Graham said the increase is necessary for Australia Post to remain financially viable, given its recent loss of $384.1 million in its Letters business.
  • The Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has received a draft proposal for the increase and wants to hear from businesses and other stakeholders about their views.
  • The ACCC cannot approve the price rise but can object to it. The consultation on the proposal is now open until September 29.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you think the increase is justified? Let us know in the comments below!
I don’t know if it is justified but in return why not get delivery drivers to knock on door or ring our bell when bringing a parcel. Also not putting parcels in our letterbox which should be brought to our door.

Cross-subsidy from the parcel post system.

The use of letters and bills sent by Australia Post; far less likely to be scammed via the internet.

I actually don't receive or want to receive bank statements ect through mail.

Mail theft is one of the top ways of identification fraud.

Then there's the old excuse it must have got lost in the mail.

I much prefer email.

The letters I mainly sent before was to my sister inlaw in Greece but thanks to viber and what's app we video call and share photos and recipe through these , we receive it instant rather than a week or more later

I love the postal service and even though there seems a great call to put everything digital and lessen the workforce as much as possible, while paying those at the top of the food chain as much as possible, for doing as little as possible.

I much prefer humans retaining their employment or gaining new employment. So, due to rising costs I shall continue to support post office workers.

Most of my friendships are with fellow humans.

View attachment 29201

Key Takeaways

Australia Post is way too expensive to justify this high increase. Not only do they dump parcels not as instructed on parcels and do not even go to ring the doorbell as just too lazy, now postage stamps are going up but there is no mention why their top staff get such high saleries to warrant stamps increases. Australia Post services are well below 4th world country as non existent
To get business one does not put up prices like Qantas the Lying Kangeroo, but keep prices low to get people to buy

View attachment 29201

Key Takeaways

They neglect to mention parcel post has gone through the roof since Covid began. Maybe if they hadn't split split letters and parcels to seperate companies this wouldn't be necessary .

Everything seems to be going up ALOT not just a bit! I did not expect a stamp to cost $1:50 soon! I feel for those struggling to make ends meet. I have grandchildren who I post birthday presents to. It costs me $13 for the smallest parcel even if it’s very light. Leaves me feeling ripped off!

Australia Post is way too expensive to justify this high increase. Not only do they dump parcels not as instructed on parcels and do not even go to ring the doorbell as just too lazy, now postage stamps are going up but there is no mention why their top staff get such high saleries to warrant stamps increases. Australia Post services are well below 4th world country as non existent
To get business one does not put up prices like Qantas the Lying Kangeroo, but keep prices low to get people to buy
Yes; Australia Post needs to improve its service, that's certain.

Everything seems to be going up ALOT not just a bit! I did not expect a stamp to cost $1:50 soon! I feel for those struggling to make ends meet. I have grandchildren who I post birthday presents to. It costs me $13 for the smallest parcel even if it’s very light. Leaves me feeling ripped off!
I gather that the parcel post service makes a profit.

Reactions: Ezzy
They neglect to mention parcel post has gone through the roof since Covid began. Maybe if they hadn't split split letters and parcels to seperate companies this wouldn't be necessary .
Separate companies? Are there are now two CEOs and Boards of Directors and CFOs to pay for together with all the top-heavy rubbish of a corporatised "Public Service" institution? Australia sure adopts some stupid "business models" for our service industries.