Your letters could soon cost you more! Australia Post plans to increase stamp prices

Even when many of our communications turned digital, there’s nothing quite like the affection and thoughtfulness in a handwritten letter to stay connected with family and friends.

But unfortunately, we have to report that soon, postage stamps could be more expensive than before.

Under the proposed changes by Australia Post, the cost of a standard stamp is set to leap from $1.20 to $1.50 in January next year. This is a 25 per cent increase that would affect all kinds of letters, from postcards to your friend’s Sunday letters.

It may not sound like much, but it does add up–the average household would pay an extra $4.50 a year to send around 15 letters.

compressed-3 (1) (1).jpeg
Australia Post proposed new prices for standard stamps. Credit: Martha Almeyda/Shutterstock

However, the price of concession stamps and seasonal greetings stamps will stay the same.

Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Paul Graham has said that an increase in basic stamp prices is deemed necessary for Australia Post to remain financially viable.

'As we are entirely self-funded and receive no ongoing government funding, we need to ensure we reduce losses in our letters business,' Graham said.

The company recently reported a $384.1 million loss in its Letters business.

‘The average household sends around 15 letters a year and, if implemented, the proposed increase would cost about $4.50 extra a year,’ an Australia Post spokesperson said.

This comes after the company raised the basic postage rate from $1.10 to $1.20 on January 3, 2023, the first increase since 2020.

The company acknowledged everyone may not welcome the proposed change and has put forward a proposal to the Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to give the public an opportunity to have their say on the proposed price rise.

The ACCC can’t approve the rise but can lodge an objection to it–if you think the prices are unfair, we recommend you have your say.

‘We would like to hear from consumers, businesses and other stakeholders about their views on Australia Post’s proposed price increase,’ ACCC Commissioner Anna Brakey stated.

The consultation closes on 29 September 2023. You can learn more and make your voice heard by visiting the ACCC website here.

In our previous article, SDC members voiced their concerns about the changes proposed by Australia Post.

Member @Jan A wrote: ‘Email is a fabulous way of communicating with others, but not everyone has it. My much-loved 99-year-old aunt, who lives in New York, does not have any electronic gear. She enjoys receiving letters. I write to her about every 4 weeks. She is the only person I write letters to any more. She tells me that [she] gets herself a cup of tea or coffee to have while she reads the letters. It's nice to know I am bringing her some happiness in her day.’

‘I still write and get letters via Australia Post. What is to become of my favourite posties?’ member @Liz shared.

However, some of them mentioned that they resorted to the digital alternative.

Member @Suzanne rose said: ‘I do most of my mail sending and receiving through emails, it's free, it's safer, and you can print it out if you really have to. And the amount of paper it saves is incredible.’

‘Birthday and Christmas cards are the only mail I still send, but this is solely because I make those cards myself,’ member @Trudi wrote in a comment.

‘Ten years ago, I used to get a lot of mail because then I had four rental properties across Australia plus my own home, and there was what appeared to be an endless stream of bills and bank statements arriving by mail. I have since sold two properties, and I have changed to email for bills and access my bank statements online,’ the member added.

Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post has proposed a 25 per cent increase to the price of stamps, from $1.20 to $1.50 from January next year.
  • Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Paul Graham said the increase is necessary for Australia Post to remain financially viable, given its recent loss of $384.1 million in its Letters business.
  • The Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has received a draft proposal for the increase and wants to hear from businesses and other stakeholders about their views.
  • The ACCC cannot approve the price rise but can object to it. The consultation on the proposal is now open until September 29.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you think the increase is justified? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I enjoy making and sending cards for birthdays and Christmas, there are only three people I send overseas to, I also am able to get the concession stamps, that might be an option if you are sending with in Australia. I agree about the parcels, my husband received one the other day and the bag it was in was ripped, I am surprised things were not lost from inside the package. The only reason we knew something was there was the dog barking. If the the price of concession stamps and seasonal greetings stamps stay the same that will be helpful. I also don't send parcels much anymore, way to expensive.

While I don't write letters (never have in all my life) I do love to send cards for every occasion - & even non-occasion (is that a word?). It's nice to receive a card when you are sick or feeling blue or "just because".
Having said that, you do not improve profits by raising prices - you improve profits by giving better service & this is where AP has fallen way short of the mark. It's not our local post office at fault; it is the way mail is processed. It goes from local PO to one sorting facility many miles from where it was posted, to another sorting facility even further away before coming back to a facility closer to its destination before going to the required local PO for delivery. All this handling costs money & this is where AP can save lots of money & get our mail to us on time.
How odd that once upon a time the British Royal Mail could achieve two postal deliveries a day and letters would get sorted on a special Royal Mail railway coach during normal railway travel between such cities as London, Birmingham and Newcastle-on-Tyne, with regular safe drop-offs at intervening stations along the railway lines. Then modern business organisation hit the UK as it has Australia and neither country can now organise an efficient fart in a bath-tub as the bath-tub has been privatised to the lowest bidder.

However, it seems that high-speed inter-city railways are impossible in Australia. Airships anyone?

Reactions: Ezzy
At 70 I still get a thrill to receive a birthday or Christmas card in the mail. Email or text messages just don't seem the same. I do agree with other members that Aust. post needs to really look at their costs and improve services.

Reactions: Ezzy and Rob44
Australia Post has announced that their intention to increase the price of postage stamps subject to the ACCC "approval". This should not affect members of SDC, given that all holders of a Concession card can purchase concession stamps costing just 60 cents each - they come in booklets of 5 for $3.00!

Even when many of our communications turned digital, there’s nothing quite like the affection and thoughtfulness in a handwritten letter to stay connected with family and friends.

But unfortunately, we have to report that soon, postage stamps could be more expensive than before.

Under the proposed changes by Australia Post, the cost of a standard stamp is set to leap from $1.20 to $1.50 in January next year. This is a 25 per cent increase that would affect all kinds of letters, from postcards to your friend’s Sunday letters.

It may not sound like much, but it does add up–the average household would pay an extra $4.50 a year to send around 15 letters.

View attachment 29201
Australia Post proposed new prices for standard stamps. Credit: Martha Almeyda/Shutterstock

However, the price of concession stamps and seasonal greetings stamps will stay the same.

Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Paul Graham has said that an increase in basic stamp prices is deemed necessary for Australia Post to remain financially viable.

'As we are entirely self-funded and receive no ongoing government funding, we need to ensure we reduce losses in our letters business,' Graham said.

‘The average household sends around 15 letters a year and, if implemented, the proposed increase would cost about $4.50 extra a year,’ an Australia Post spokesperson said.

This comes after the company raised the basic postage rate from $1.10 to $1.20 on January 3, 2023, the first increase since 2020.

The company acknowledged everyone may not welcome the proposed change and has put forward a proposal to the Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to give the public an opportunity to have their say on the proposed price rise.

The ACCC can’t approve the rise but can lodge an objection to it–if you think the prices are unfair, we recommend you have your say.

‘We would like to hear from consumers, businesses and other stakeholders about their views on Australia Post’s proposed price increase,’ ACCC Commissioner Anna Brakey stated.

The consultation closes on 29 September 2023. You can learn more and make your voice heard by visiting the ACCC website here.

In our previous article, SDC members voiced their concerns about the changes proposed by Australia Post.

Member @Jan A wrote: ‘Email is a fabulous way of communicating with others, but not everyone has it. My much-loved 99-year-old aunt, who lives in New York, does not have any electronic gear. She enjoys receiving letters. I write to her about every 4 weeks. She is the only person I write letters to any more. She tells me that [she] gets herself a cup of tea or coffee to have while she reads the letters. It's nice to know I am bringing her some happiness in her day.’

‘I still write and get letters via Australia Post. What is to become of my favourite posties?’ member @Liz shared.

Member @Suzanne rose said: ‘I do most of my mail sending and receiving through emails, it's free, it's safer, and you can print it out if you really have to. And the amount of paper it saves is incredible.’

‘Birthday and Christmas cards are the only mail I still send, but this is solely because I make those cards myself,’ member @Trudi wrote in a comment.

‘Ten years ago, I used to get a lot of mail because then I had four rental properties across Australia plus my own home, and there was what appeared to be an endless stream of bills and bank statements arriving by mail. I have since sold two properties, and I have changed to email for bills and access my bank statements online,’ the member added.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post has proposed a 25 per cent increase to the price of stamps, from $1.20 to $1.50 from January next year.
  • Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Paul Graham said the increase is necessary for Australia Post to remain financially viable, given its recent loss of $384.1 million in its Letters business.
  • The Australian Competitor and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has received a draft proposal for the increase and wants to hear from businesses and other stakeholders about their views.
  • The ACCC cannot approve the price rise but can object to it. The consultation on the proposal is now open until September 29.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you think the increase is justified? Let us know in the comments below!
It's a sad world we live in, I use to send over 80 Birthday, 30 Anniversary, 70 Christmas cards per year. ALL were handmade, this year I had to stop making them all. This was due to several reasons, but the main reason was the total cost of trying to pay for all the increasers in day to day living. Something had to give, and the hardest part with the new high cost of living was giving up things I love doing.

Reactions: Ezzy, Liz and Rob44
I would rather pay a bit more and get my items by postie. Banks and other institutions still send statement by mail.
but the sad thing is most companies now-a-days charge you extra if you want your bills posted to you. This is to cover the cost of their postage costs. Your paying the extra physical postage either way.

Cross-subsidy from the parcel post system.

The use of letters and bills sent by Australia Post; far less likely to be scammed via the internet.

Put a lock on your letterbox?
Locks only apply to the back of the mail box if it can take one. Not all letters are put fully in the mail box and they are not always big enough to take a magazine (open road etc), letters and junk mail that posties deliver. Look around and see how many letters are sticking out of the mail box!

We get all bills via email. We do get a fair bit of parcels as we do online shopping for things we can't get locally, but our post man Simon always toots and waits for us to come to the gate. We have 3 doggies that go off, hence no doorbell needed. We are regional so may be that makes a difference as our service is excellent.

View attachment 29201

Key Takeaways

I’m not a big letter writer, though I can see the impact it may have on some. Having said that I can also see that the rise is justified and better than the alternative of services being cut even further or even worse being privatised and gf hen you would see massive price increases.
That’s my 2 cents worth.

View attachment 29201

Key Takeaways

I much prefer billls and statements be sent and received by mail, unfortunate the NAB no longer issues cheque books.

View attachment 29201

Key Takeaways

Aust post are absolutely robbing the public, even when the current pension comes through there will still not be enough money for them. It's extremely hard for a lot of pensioners to learn how to use these mobile phones not to mention computers. Have a heart Australia Post and be a little more compassionate to the elderly, many of whom don't even have any family that could teach them.

Reactions: Leenie
If any company advises me that they will be sending my a/cs by email instead of snail mail in the future they will be advised of the cost to them of doing this to cover my costs of receiving them.
I have to pay for a computer, internet, electricity, printer & paper (to keep a hard copy of a/cs). The cost to business desiring to use this service will be a minimum of $2.50 per item.
Maybe they will then rethink about using snail mail.

View attachment 29201

Key Takeaways

PRIVATIZATION DOES NOT WORK.

Mail getting lost is a poor excuse. I lost count of the number of times l'd find a letter in the middle of the road, in grass on a vacant block or at the end of a Cul-de-sac, up to half a block from a postal address when doing letterbox deliveries. One letter taken to a home was from a Bank so l knocked on the door & explained to the lady where it was found. Turned out this was a Home Loan Statement expected a week earlier & she had only that day phoned her bank asking for this.

If we can believe AP that they made a loss on postal deliveries l must ask why. If less letters are being delivered & we believe mail is only delivered every second day to an area & Posties do two areas each now & many Posties use electric not petrol bikes, why is there a loss?

If Parcel deliveries are making a profit could this have anything to do with the use of Contract Deliverers? Most of these delivery staff appear to be related to each other at times. I have seen more than one van at some locations & also two drivers going through parcels in a garage & l think sorting them.

PERHAPS THE TIME HAS COME FOR AP TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AT THE WAY THEY OPERATE IN TODAY'S CHANGING WORLD, WITHOUT RAISING PRICES & WITHOUT GIVING US A PROPER REASON WHY!!!

I much prefer billls and statements be sent and received by mail, unfortunate the NAB no longer issues cheque books.
My bank went out of cheque books years ago and now charge to issue you a cheque. Method in their madness as the saying goes.

View attachment 29201

Key Takeaways

My friends and I love to receive Birthday Cards and Christmas Cards, We also send Birthday Cards and Christmas Cards to family and friends. As I leave in Australia I have relations in England and Canada and at Cristmas I send at least 30 cards or more.So being a pensioner I will have to cut down as it is getting more expensive every, in the past it has cost me over $100. At Christmas.

My friends and I love to receive Birthday Cards and Christmas Cards, We also send Birthday Cards and Christmas Cards to family and friends. As I leave in Australia I have relations in England and Canada and at Cristmas I send at least 30 cards or more.So being a pensioner I will have to cut down as it is getting more expensive every, in the past it has cost me over $100. At Christmas.
I am sorry to hear your news. I think most of us enjoy receiving cards at those times of the year, especially if we are overseas.

Would be nice if Aust. Post could strike up a special deal for Pensioners to send Christmas Cards overseas for a cheaper rate as they do in Aust. with a Card Only notation. I believe Australia Post stand to lose a lot of revenue but people like you also lose out on the joy of sharing at Christmas.