You won't believe this strange fan theory about annual 'disaster' storylines in Home and Away and Neighbours!

The world of TV soaps has its fair share of gossip and intrigue on set and off. But sometimes, the fans come up with exciting discussions and theories that keep us hooked on our favourite soaps like Home and Away and Neighbours. These iconic Australian shows have been part of our lives for decades, and their dramatic storylines are just one of the many reasons we tune in every week.

Now a strange fan theory has emerged that may explain why these famous soaps seem to be drawn to their annual 'disaster' storylines. Every ratings season, it appears that good old Summer Bay faces a new catastrophe, and the fans have a hunch about why this keeps happening.

In a post on the popular industry blog Media Spy, an eagle-eyed fan said that soap producers might very well be inventing these 'disaster' storylines to justify giving their sets a makeover.

1685584647327.png
A fan theory explains why soaps like Home and Away and Neighbours embrace their 'disaster' storylines. Here's a scene from the new season of Home and Away. Source: Apple TV

'All soapies have these dodgy storylines every year in order to have a new set built,' the fan said. 'I think they all have a set designer on the payroll.'

The clever fan theory continues: 'They're there to build sets. Hence why we have a school fire and a pub fire every few years in order to redo the pub and the school scenes. And every 10 years during any soapie revamp, is when the big storm/earthquake/bomb etc. to redo more than one set.'

The fan in question also referred to Neighbours' notorious 'tornado' storyline back in 2014, where the fictional Melbourne suburb found itself at the mercy of a ferocious storm.

Of course, theories being theories, another fan decided to laugh at the expense of the original idea and jokingly commented on how Home and Away consistently promotes its attractive male cast members.

'You forgot the biggest repeated dramatic storyline,' they began: 'three new shirtless brothers every three years!'

Whether these outrageous fan theories hold any truth or are just a bit of fun, there's no denying that Home and Away and Neighbours have captivated us with wild, suspenseful scenarios for years.

Since 1988, Home and Away has entertained viewers with no less than 23 murders in the otherwise idyllic Summer Bay, a small neighbourhood with a population of under 400. That's an astonishingly high homicide rate! The town has also faced pyromaniacs, cyclones, and various other disasters.

A Look Into TV Ratings and Audience Expectations​

Home and Away and Neighbours have both been on air for over 30 years and have become ingrained in Australian culture—a cultural phenomenon that continues to captivate audiences around the world. And despite the ever changing face of entertainment, both soaps are still going strong.

So, why have soaps maintained such a stronghold in our homes and hearts? It turns out, an untold truth is that much of the popularity of soaps is due to clever ratings strategies and carefully crafted storylines catered to the changing needs and expectations of the audience.

Producers have long tweaked the formats of soaps by introducing recurring villains, classic showdowns and overly dramatic storylines just in time for the ratings season—and this isn’t a new phenomenon.

Network executives have since discovered the perfect formula to capture the attention of their audience—thrilling storylines featuring classic elements that viewers have come to expect. As audiences have grown and changed over the years, so have the storylines. Producers have responded to this and are now able to tailor storylines to current trends and changes in society.

Key Takeaways

• A bizarre fan theory has emerged that suggests soap operas like Home and Away and Neighbours create annual 'disaster' storylines to justify giving their sets a makeover.
  • According to the theory posted on the industry blog Media Spy, soap producers concoct 'disaster' storylines to build new sets.
  • The theory also pointed to the notorious Neighbours 'tornado' storyline from 2014.
  • Another fan mocked the theory by pointing out the repeated storyline of 'three new shirtless brothers every three years' on Home and Away.

It's evident that as long as soaps continue to deliver intriguing, sensational, and drama-filled storylines, our television screens will undoubtedly witness a growing affinity for them.

So, as we delve into the intriguing realm of soap operas, we'd love to hear your perspective. What are your thoughts? Do you believe soap producers intentionally leverage annual catastrophes to add excitement to their sets, or do you think it's primarily the necessary drama that keeps us, the viewers, engrossed in the shows? Share your opinion with us—we're eager to hear your take on it!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lesle and Ricci
Sponsored
I can tell you and I have inside information and what this fan said is total rubbish . If they want to change a set then they just do it by adding renovations into the story line.
They end the season with fires, bombing or accidents to leave it as a cliff hanger to drew the people back in.

Home and away if filmed in Palm Beach but alot is also filmed in the studios

As for throughout the year could you imagine if they didn't have a awhole lot of exciting story lines happening, people would stop watching.

This doesn't happen in normal families but then again maybe I could make a series on my family 🤔

I personally love the fact that Home & Away tackle things like the diversity that occurs in a local society like moving from NZ to Australia, divorce & the way some trading companies use standover tack ticks on the people working for them & the other multitude of things that go on around you that are not spoken of like the sex between consulting adults & young love these days, So different than when I was young.

Personally don't watch soap drama, but research shows that viewers are curious, have empathy, the feeling of being part of the characters lives, multiple reasons why people continue to watch this stuff. Viewers are kept wanting to know if xyz is going to live or the gender of their baby, if the marriage is going to happen. Just has to be a storyline that make people curious as to what happens to their favorite character etc. Often when one of the big names leaves, the viewer that was only watching for them also deserts the show. Not concerned if people like watching or not, TV is pure escapism at the best of times so enjoy those that do enjoy these shows.

Last edited:
The world of TV soaps has its fair share of gossip and intrigue on set and off. But sometimes, the fans come up with exciting discussions and theories that keep us hooked on our favourite soaps like Home and Away and Neighbours. These iconic Australian shows have been part of our lives for decades, and their dramatic storylines are just one of the many reasons we tune in every week.

Now a strange fan theory has emerged that may explain why these famous soaps seem to be drawn to their annual 'disaster' storylines. Every ratings season, it appears that good old Summer Bay faces a new catastrophe, and the fans have a hunch about why this keeps happening.

In a post on the popular industry blog Media Spy, an eagle-eyed fan said that soap producers might very well be inventing these 'disaster' storylines to justify giving their sets a makeover.

View attachment 21177
A fan theory explains why soaps like Home and Away and Neighbours embrace their 'disaster' storylines. Here's a scene from the new season of Home and Away. Source: Apple TV

'All soapies have these dodgy storylines every year in order to have a new set built,' the fan said. 'I think they all have a set designer on the payroll.'

The clever fan theory continues: 'They're there to build sets. Hence why we have a school fire and a pub fire every few years in order to redo the pub and the school scenes. And every 10 years during any soapie revamp, is when the big storm/earthquake/bomb etc. to redo more than one set.'

The fan in question also referred to Neighbours' notorious 'tornado' storyline back in 2014, where the fictional Melbourne suburb found itself at the mercy of a ferocious storm.

Of course, theories being theories, another fan decided to laugh at the expense of the original idea and jokingly commented on how Home and Away consistently promotes its attractive male cast members.

'You forgot the biggest repeated dramatic storyline,' they began: 'three new shirtless brothers every three years!'

Whether these outrageous fan theories hold any truth or are just a bit of fun, there's no denying that Home and Away and Neighbours have captivated us with wild, suspenseful scenarios for years.

Since 1988, Home and Away has entertained viewers with no less than 23 murders in the otherwise idyllic Summer Bay, a small neighbourhood with a population of under 400. That's an astonishingly high homicide rate! The town has also faced pyromaniacs, cyclones, and various other disasters.

A Look Into TV Ratings and Audience Expectations​

Home and Away and Neighbours have both been on air for over 30 years and have become ingrained in Australian culture—a cultural phenomenon that continues to captivate audiences around the world. And despite the ever changing face of entertainment, both soaps are still going strong.

So, why have soaps maintained such a stronghold in our homes and hearts? It turns out, an untold truth is that much of the popularity of soaps is due to clever ratings strategies and carefully crafted storylines catered to the changing needs and expectations of the audience.

Producers have long tweaked the formats of soaps by introducing recurring villains, classic showdowns and overly dramatic storylines just in time for the ratings season—and this isn’t a new phenomenon.

Network executives have since discovered the perfect formula to capture the attention of their audience—thrilling storylines featuring classic elements that viewers have come to expect. As audiences have grown and changed over the years, so have the storylines. Producers have responded to this and are now able to tailor storylines to current trends and changes in society.

Key Takeaways

• A bizarre fan theory has emerged that suggests soap operas like Home and Away and Neighbours create annual 'disaster' storylines to justify giving their sets a makeover.
  • According to the theory posted on the industry blog Media Spy, soap producers concoct 'disaster' storylines to build new sets.
  • The theory also pointed to the notorious Neighbours 'tornado' storyline from 2014.
  • Another fan mocked the theory by pointing out the repeated storyline of 'three new shirtless brothers every three years' on Home and Away.

It's evident that as long as soaps continue to deliver intriguing, sensational, and drama-filled storylines, our television screens will undoubtedly witness a growing affinity for them.

So, as we delve into the intriguing realm of soap operas, we'd love to hear your perspective. What are your thoughts? Do you believe soap producers intentionally leverage annual catastrophes to add excitement to their sets, or do you think it's primarily the necessary drama that keeps us, the viewers, engrossed in the shows? Share your opinion with us—we're eager to hear your take on it!
Would not watch if you paid me - what a total crock that so much "drama" happens in one little seaside town. If it's not poisonings, bombs, kidnapping, murders - really???? Load of rubbish.

It is pure escapism to watch a soap opera & why not? It is a beautiful place, Summer Bay. Anyone would be lucky to live there. We seem to lead very dull lives on the whole so a bit of escapism is warranted in most of our lives especially as we age. It is better than watching the news about all the actual murders that are going on around us, especially the domestic violence ones or the constant ones of young males who think it is ok to settle their scores with a knife. Soaps reflect life to some degree maybe it all happens in a small area as in Summer Bay. I am just glad I don't live in America or Midsommer!

Escapism or just down time, it doesn’t really matter. Anything is better than the rubbish they expect us to watch these days. If you are not into reality tv or sport there is not much left to watch. At least Home and Away has a story line and incorporates important issues such as mental health, race, sexual preferences just to name a few.

Reactions: Ricci
Yes, I, for one hate the plethora of sports & sports-related shows we are expected to enjoy. Boring! I am not into some of the reality TV channels put on. I record stuff from another number to play when I am faced with Better Homes & Gardens for a start. Now with all the new byblows in the show, it has changed into an annoying mix of rubbish so I avoid it whenever possible which is every week. Give Me Murder mysteries every time. Or as last night the great movie Hidden Figures.

I don't watch it, however my friend does/did. She told me she's stopped watching it because a while ago, someone had a cancer diagnosis. She reckons it's about the 12th person who has had cancer in Summer Bay.
She wants more happy story lines.