Government to roll out digital IDs in few weeks—here's what we know so far

As we navigate the digital age, identity is transforming, and Australia is at the forefront of this change.

In the coming weeks, Australians will witness the introduction of national digital identity laws.

This move could redefine how we prove who we are online and is a significant development for those concerned about privacy and security in an increasingly online world.

Understanding the National Digital ID

The national digital ID, known as myGovID, is not just a digital version of existing identification documents; it's a comprehensive system designed to simplify and secure the process of proving one's identity to various organisations.

How does myGovID work?

The myGovID system is a digital intermediary between you and organisations requiring identity verification.

shutterstock_2166069807.jpg
The myGovID is a digital identification document getting mixed reactions from Aussies nationwide. Image Credit: Shutterstock/arnont09

Instead of presenting physical documents, you'll use an app to confirm your identity.

The app communicates with the organisation through a secure government-approved pathway, confirming your identity without sharing sensitive information.
Thoughts on going digital

The primary advantage of a digital ID system is enhanced security.

Identity theft and fraud are significant risks with traditional methods, as seen in recent data breaches at Optus, Medibank, and Latitude.

A digital ID system may reduce these risks by limiting the sharing of personal information to a secure, verified tick of approval.

This system can also alleviate the burden of advanced cybersecurity practices, which can be costly and complex for small and medium-sized businesses.

By reducing the number of organisations holding personal data, the digital ID system minimises the risk of compromised information.

Addressing privacy and security concerns

Despite the benefits, there are valid concerns about privacy and law enforcement access to digital ID information.

While the legislation requires police to obtain a warrant to access digital ID data, some experts argue that the threshold for access should be higher and limited to serious crime investigations.

Moreover, while the system is designed to be secure, it's not immune to cyber threats.

An 'adversary in the middle' attack, where a hacker intercepts communication between the app and government servers, is a potential vulnerability.
Voluntary participation and legislative progress

Usage of myGovID is not mandatory but voluntary.

Citizens can choose whether or not to adopt the digital ID, and it will not replace traditional forms of identification.

The legislation has passed the Senate and is expected to be enacted following the next sitting session of the House of Representatives.

MyGovID is operational for around 130 government services but still needs to be made available for private company use.

The complete integration, including private sector access, may roll out within two years of the legislation's enactment.

What this means for you

Staying informed about these changes is crucial and understanding how they might affect online interactions is vital.

The promise of a more secure and convenient way to manage your identity online is appealing.

It's also essential to remain vigilant about privacy and the security of your personal information.

The introduction of myGovID represents a significant shift in how Australians interact with government and private entities online.

As this system rolls out, we encourage you to learn more about it, consider the implications for your online activities, and decide whether to participate.
Key Takeaways

• Australia is set to introduce national digital identity laws, with the system referred to as myGovID, which is already in operation for certain government services.
  • Digital IDs allow Australians to identify themselves online without needing traditional 'points' of ID, streamlining verification processes and increasing security.
  • Experts showed concern regarding law enforcement access to digital ID data, with advocates suggesting that such access should be restricted and limited to serious crime investigations.
  • The national digital identity system legislation will be voluntary and is expected to pass through the House of Representatives soon, with private companies planning to gain access within two years of enactment.
What are your thoughts on this new law? Share your opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
The biggest load of bullshit in my 80 years will be hacked and used by scammers.Like ELECTORAL ROLLS China will be at work now.Any seniors without DUMB PHONES will be in trouble .Seeing the 3 or 4 parties in favor of it means loss of rights to all.Voting will not remove these shit heads out KEEHA maybe the other option /THE SOUTH MAY HAVE TO RISE AGAIN

Well I aggree with the other fella, big brother tactic, bullshit is still only a penny a pound,every time a new form of digital rubbish comes up to prevent hackers. the hackers are out in front,put the money to some good not junk .

I have worked in IT for 25 years. Having all personal details in one hackable place is a disaster in the making.
Example: When they last did the census in this country they used 128-bit encryption to protect it. That is a joke. Children can hack that. Hint: The bigger the number, the harder it is to hack. So 128-bit is literally child's play. They want something in the order of 2048-bit or better to have a chance of protecting your data. They also didn't test that the system could handle all the users doing the census on the same day.
There is a thing where you test the performance of a system under a load (users). No one obviously "load tested" that the census system could handle the load which is why it kept crashing, etc. on the day.
I do NOT trust the government to get this Digital ID right at all.
They say it is not mandatory but they will try to bring it in via stealth. I did read they will make company directors have a digital ID. I will close my small company if they do that.
Note: There are Australia-wide protests against this digital ID on the 25th of May. Get involved and let them know you are not interested else it will happen.

Last edited:
Hackers sit in comfort at home maybe fat and overweight taking their time getting info then wait for the benefits not like in the old days of grabbing handbags from old ladies or bashing a bloke outisdepub for his wallet maybe containing $10
now its thousand and people still fall victim to scams sign up for this get hundred times your money

While we may have a "choice" now, the role out is probably to ensure it is working properly and get any bugs out before it becomes compulsary. Someone told me about the 2030 Agenda and this will probably be part of it. Australia and many other countries signed a declaration which will also include becoming a cashless society, regardless of how many ATM withdrawels we all make. There's a whole load of changes that the Government will make and we will have no say in it at all.

I have worked in IT for 25 years. Having all personal details in one hackable place is a disaster in the making.
Example: When they last did the census in this country they used 128-bit encryption to protect it. That is a joke. Children can hack that. Hint: The bigger the number, the harder it is to hack. So 128-bit is literally child's play. They want something in the order of 2048-bit or better to have a chance of protecting your data. They also didn't test that the system could handle all the users doing the census on the same day.
There is a thing where you test the performance of a system under a load (users). No one obviously "load tested" that the census system could handle the load which is why it kept crashing, etc. on the day.
I do NOT trust the government to get this right Digital ID at all.
They say it is not mandatory but they will try to bring it in via stealth. I did read they will make company directors have a digital ID. I will close my small company if they do that.
Note: There are Australia-wide protests against this digital ID on the 25th of May. Get involved and let them know else it will happen.
Albanese has over stepped the mark here with this australia card by stealth As it is a one way ticket to be scammed

While we may have a "choice" now, the role out is probably to ensure it is working properly and get any bugs out before it becomes compulsary. Someone told me about the 2030 Agenda and this will probably be part of it. Australia and many other countries signed a declaration which will also include becoming a cashless society, regardless of how many ATM withdrawels we all make. There's a whole load of changes that the Government will make and we will have no say in it at all.
Did the "Someone"who told you you about this so called "2030 Agenda" that Australia and other countries have supposedly signed up to, also tell you who told them about it? Which website they were scrolling through to find out about this latest so called "Government Plot" scare mongering?