Breakup of supermarket giants? Senate inquiry backs suggestions against price gouging

The Australian grocery landscape may go through a major shakeup if the government heeds the recommendations of a recent Senate inquiry.

This move could lead to more competitive pricing and better treatment of suppliers, ultimately benefiting consumers who have long felt the pinch of high grocery bills.

The Senate Inquiry backed a movement to dismantle the near-duopoly of Coles and Woolworths, which, together with ALDI and Metcash, command an 80 per cent share of the nation's grocery market.

Led by the Greens, the Senate Committee delivered a report accusing the supermarket behemoths of setting unfair prices and being 'driven by profits at the expense of consumers'.

compressed-pexels-shvetsa-3962292.jpeg
Major supermarkets may face consequences for alleged price gouging, affecting citizens amid a cost of living crisis. Image Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets

In a bid to prevent alleged abuses of power, the report contained a recommendation which read:

'The committee therefore recommends that section 46 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 be amended to make it an offence to charge excessive prices, in terms similar to the European Union provisions.'

The inquiry's findings led to a total of 14 recommendations, including the introduction of divestiture powers.

These powers would allow the government to compel supermarkets found guilty of misusing their market power or engaging in anti-competitive conduct to sell off parts of their business.

The committee also urged the government to establish a Commission on Prices and Competition immediately.

This body will examine and regulate prices and push for fair price-setting practices within the industry if established.

The push for 'big stick' laws came in contrast to an interim review by former Labor minister Craig Emerson, which dismissed the need for a breakup.

Instead, Emerson's review suggested that supermarkets and suppliers adhere to a mandatory Code of Conduct enforced by severe penalties.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has previously dismissed the idea of divestiture laws and compared similar interventions to practices of 'the old Soviet Union'.

However, the Greens still introduced a bill that would grant the government the power to enforce the breakup of businesses to prevent anti-competitive behaviour.

Coles and Woolworths expressed opposition to the idea of divestiture.

A Woolworths spokesperson shared that the company will take its time to consider the report's recommendations.

On the other hand, a Coles spokesperson rejected the findings as it will 'adversely impact the operation of open and free competitive markets in the provision of food and grocery in Australia'.

Despite different standpoints, they supported an overhaul of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct.

During the inquiry's public hearings, farmers' groups alleged that supermarkets profited excessively by marking down in-store product prices while offering farmers less for the same items.

Farmers also received the same prices for their produce from both supermarkets for over a decade despite rising production and living costs.

This coincides with a report commissioned by the Australian Council of Trade Unions, which highlighted that Australians are being exploited by unfair pricing practices by big businesses, leading to a cost-of-living crisis.

The Senate inquiry is one of several investigations into Australia's grocery sector, which has come under scrutiny due to concerns over high grocery prices and the increasing cost of living.

If the government acts on these recommendations, it could herald a new era of competition and fairness in the grocery industry, potentially leading to lower prices and better consumer deals.
Key Takeaways

• A Senate inquiry suggested that Coles and Woolworths are setting unfair prices and abusing market power, negatively impacting consumers and suppliers.
  • The inquiry recommended amending the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 to make price gouging an offence. It also supported divestiture laws to break up supermarkets engaging in anti-competitive conduct.
  • Proposed reforms included establishing a Commission on Prices and Competition to scrutinise price-setting practices and creating divestiture powers for the Australian government.
  • Woolworths and Coles opposed the idea of divestiture laws, citing potential negative impacts on competitive markets, but supported an overhaul of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct.
What are your thoughts on the findings of the Senate inquiry? Will this lead to better prices and fairer treatment for suppliers, or are you concerned about the possible consequences? Please share your opinions with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Reactions: snake01
Sponsored
The profits speak for themselves. I look forward to the day we have more supermarkets like Aldi and people stop shopping at scammers like Coles and WW. They just don't care about customers.

Reactions: Mitre1955 and ARL
Unfortunately the government do this investigations but there never are any consequences, to the CEO or companies. Aged Care, The Telecoms, Qantas, The Banks.

Unfortunately, Aldi's prices are almost as bad as Woolies and Coles. I'm noticing more of my staple products going up more than 25%. The biggest discounts throughout their stores are luxury or brand items which I can't afford to buy, even when discounted. We now go to some of the charity grocery stores to get a cheap box of staples to supplement our grocery budget.

Reactions: Veggiepatch and ARL
I usually shop at Woolworths - we don't have an Aldi and Coles is difficult to park at. I keep a VERY comprehensive database of my purchases, dates and prices. Because of the Australia Day debacle I made the effort and switched to Coles - got home, opened my database and recorded the day's purchases. Surprise, surprise! Identical prices! Specials are almost the same and they must all have spies at IGA because the specials are practically the same as theirs too.

We need to go back to having a Green Grocer separate from the Supermarket like we used to back before the supermarket took over buy reducing the price and forcing out the Small Businesses.

The two big blokes do not give a damn about Senate enquiries.
Last week Coles have removed the bone from a shank which left the meat only, 4 small bits of meat $16+ This week the same only the price has gone up to $22. How can this be???
Do the farmers benifit ? I don't think they do

When it comes to veggie specials the big 2 screw the farmer for the discount and then big note the special in their store. And of course there is the "not good enough" excuse to screw the farmer

Reactions: Mitre1955
Unfortunately, Aldi's prices are almost as bad as Woolies and Coles. I'm noticing more of my staple products going up more than 25%. The biggest discounts throughout their stores are luxury or brand items which I can't afford to buy, even when discounted. We now go to some of the charity grocery stores to get a cheap box of staples to supplement our grocery budget.
I agree with you, many of ALDI's prices have risen.

The original stores were more warehouse like. The changes in pricing seems to be in line with the improvement of the stores.

Lots of fruit and veg is still less but only by a cent or a few cents so there isn't much saving.

IF THE GOVERMENT WAS TO CUT THE TAX ON FUEL WE WOULD GET CHEAPER FOOD AT THE SUPER MARKETS IT IS SO ESPENSIVE THE PRICE OF DIESEL IS PRICEY AT THE BOWSERYOU ARE LOOKING AT OVER TWO DOLLARS

Reactions: IAN3005
When Aldi sells a product for $5.00 and Woolworths sells the exact same product (Brand and all) for $20.00 then what more proof do you need that we are being robbed!

IF THE GOVERMENT WAS TO CUT THE TAX ON FUEL WE WOULD GET CHEAPER FOOD AT THE SUPER MARKETS IT IS SO ESPENSIVE THE PRICE OF DIESEL IS PRICEY AT THE BOWSERYOU ARE LOOKING AT OVER TWO DOLLARS
They are tarred with the same brush... I have noticed the prices rise.....