You won’t believe how many scam text messages Telstra blocks in a year!

While it can be quite unnerving to receive a text message from someone you don’t know, it’s likely just a spam text.

Some may be an advert for a product or service you don’t want or need, while others might be trying to con you out of your hard-earned money.

Though there is no way to measure exactly how much money scammers have made from Australians, alarming figures released by Telstra revealed that they have intercepted more than 225 million scam texts since April 2022 when they first launched their scam-filtering measure for Telstra and Belong network subscribers.

According to Narelle Devine, Chief Information Security Officer at Telstra, the blocked texts included those that contained invitations to install malicious software onto users' mobile devices and requests for financial information from scammers pretending to be someone else.

‘Each one of these 225 million scams blocked reduces the chance of Australians falling victim to one of these,' she said.

Screenshot_2.png
Telstra formally launched its anti-text scam filter in April 2022. Screengrab Credit: YouTube/Telstra

'It’s also a reminder that scammers are persistent and target just about everyone with a mobile number when it comes to their campaigns, especially as we enjoy our Christmas and New Year breaks.'

As of November 2022, data from the government’s Scam Watch website reveals that of the 13,049 scam reports they’ve received, almost half are text scams at 46.3 per cent, followed by email scams (24.7 per cent) and phone scams (22.5 per cent).

Devine also shed light on why scammers are highly motivated to cause harm (mental and financial) to unsuspecting Australians.

'Just like many of us look forward to the holidays, so do scammers. With loads of new gadgets needing to be set up online at the moment, more toll roads travelled for holidays and a huge amount of online shopping deliveries — these all provide more opportunities for scammers to seize on,' she said.

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, authorities ramped up their warnings against scams expecting criminals to go all out at a very busy — and distracting — time for most Aussies.

One example was Scam Watch’s warning of the ‘Hi Mum’ text scam, which made a holiday comeback after surfacing early in 2022. The scam targets parents with ‘children’ who suddenly claim that their phones have been broken (or other excuses) and that they need some money from mum or dad (as experienced by our very own Maddie).

ajsfdbjBF.png
Forty-six per cent of scams reported to Scam Watch as of November 2022 were text scams. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Mikhail Nilov

Other scams Telstra says it has seen more of in the last couple of months include bank scams, fake toll notice scams, and job offer scams.

In case you’re a new Telstra customer, the good news is that you don’t have to go through hoops to activate the filter — it’s already turned on by default! Meanwhile, if you want the feature turned off, simply send FILTER OFF to 0438214682. It is strongly recommended to leave the filter on though.

In July 2022, the Australian Communications and Media Authority revealed rules that hold telecommunications companies liable for up to $250,000 in penalties if they do not follow anti-scam rules, which include publicly informing customers of newly discovered fraud schemes and sharing data on suspicious numbers.

Now, pardon us for sounding like a broken record, but it bears repeating: no one is ever fully safe from scams, but simple awareness goes a long way against scammers. Keeping up-to-date through the news or our Scam Watch forum can help you spot fraudsters after your money and private details a mile (or, rather, a kilometre) away.

Intuition is also key — if something feels off about a text, email, or call, it would be wise to be on the side of caution and not entertain any form of suspicious contact.

And of course, digital hygiene! Be careful about posting your personal details such as your phone number and email address online as scammers may use these to get in touch with you.
Key Takeaways

• Telstra has blocked over 225 million scam text messages since April 2022.
  • Scams blocked by Telstra include lures to install malware on mobile devices, requests for personal and financial data, bank scams, fake toll notice scams, and fake job offer scams.
  • Almost half of reported scams to the government's Scam Watch initiative are text scams.
  • Being aware of the latest scams, not entertaining suspicious means of contact, and practicing digital hygiene are some ways people can avoid falling victim to scammers.
If you have time, do check out these other stories:
What are your thoughts on the increasing number of scam texts? Have you ever been contacted by a scammer? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Liag and Ricci
Sponsored
This is a terrific scam alert assist provided by Telstra. If I receive calls from unknown numbers I am alerted that it is a telemarketer or a scam immediately. I do not answer & can then block the number. However, scammers are persistent! They keep trying to get you to answer!

Digital Hygiene is very difficult as every site you go to wants you to sign up and login and it's mandatory to enter your details.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
As a Telstra customer I certainly benefit from their fraud/scam alerts both on phone calls and texts. I am always amazed at how many the service catches. It's a great refief that those alerts can allow you to block the incoming scam as well as most importantly you are able to report them to the suitable authorities just but touching a button. Great service Telstra. Many thanks.

I had 4 toll scams within the last 2 weeks! They looked legit, but felt somewhat wrong. Luckily I dont use toll roads often, and I keep a diary of my appointments. So that excluded all but one. A trip to Ikea. But I also keep receipts in case I need to return a product, so that date didnt match either! Dleted all the sms relating to tolls overdue/credit used up/tolls not being paid without even opening them.... then got another one today!!!

Reactions: Macarj