SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
URGENT SCAM WATCH: Fake Text About 'Number Change'

Hi Members,

I received this text message this morning. The only reason I am lucky enough to realise this is a complete scam is I don't have any children myself, but it is extremely concerning how convincing this text is. No errors AND grammar which is quite rare with text scams. PLEASE keep your eye out for these kinds of text messages. If you're ever unsure, just call the person the scammers are claiming to be on their own number and see if they pick up.

I didn't bother replying to this scammer for obvious reasons. I think if I did 'play along' they would have changed conversation to how they needed money and would have told me to send it to them, which is honestly disgusting.

I have reported the scam, but I still just wanted to post this here so everyone knew what the text looked like.

Be careful out there, members!

img_7949_720.png
The scam text message. Image source: Maddie.

I got a phone call allegedly from Amazon about my account or orders the other day on my mobile instructing me to press a key……. Etc for help to resolve.

I don’t have an account with Amazon,

I do have my phone registered on “do not call” and I am with Telstra so a lot of these fake calls had stopped so they are finding new ways to sneak through mobiles,

Stay safe, always hang up and ring your supplier on the real number if concerned.

Don’t ever ring back numbers if you answer and they hang up, or missed calls.

Yesterday my husband advertised my electric wheelchair on Facebook Market Place. It’s near new, so he advertised it for a four figure sum. Within an hour, he got a reply from someone wanting to buy it. The buyer stated that he was unable to collect it, but his son works ‘down near Tuggerah‘ and would collect it on his way home. We live in Newcastle.

He asked hubby if he has a PayPal account. Hubby does have an account, but had already given him our address and didn’t want to give him any further information about us, so he said that he doesn’t have PayPal and could the buyer pay cash on pickup. The buyer then asked if hubby has a bank ID Bells began to ring, so hubby decided to call the Commonwealth Bank.

The lady at the bank transferred him straight through to the digital banking department and he asked that lady how to get a bank ID. She immediately asked why he wanted it. When he told her, she said it’s a scam. She said these thieves are targeting Facebook Market Place. They always say they can’t pick up the item, but will have a relative collect it. Apparently, once they have that bank ID, they can assume your identity and rob you blind while they’re doing it. Hubby messaged the alleged buyer that he knew it was a scam, and within minutes, all his messages had disappeared.

The yay of the day goes to the Commonwealth Bank!

Hi Members,

I received this text message this morning. The only reason I am lucky enough to realise this is a complete scam is I don't have any children myself, but it is extremely concerning how convincing this text is. No errors AND grammar which is quite rare with text scams. PLEASE keep your eye out for these kinds of text messages. If you're ever unsure, just call the person the scammers are claiming to be on their own number and see if they pick up.

I didn't bother replying to this scammer for obvious reasons. I think if I did 'play along' they would have changed conversation to how they needed money and would have told me to send it to them, which is honestly disgusting.

I have reported the scam, but I still just wanted to post this here so everyone knew what the text looked like.

View attachment 10826

This happened to a friend of mine. Her daughter was overseas and supposedly wanted money transferred. My friend attempted to send the funds but her bank alerted her as the bank has a facility in place that requires 2 verifications from the customer.

I got an email couple days ago from PayPal,I knew immediately it was a scam as it wasn't addressed to me personally and they used an email address that I haven't used for years and paypal don't even know about it( the email address)

Reactions: robbie's
Thanks for that Maddie. Hard to ignore a message like that - the world is becoming more and more unsafe and difficult to fully understand!

Reactions: Nana Zorak
there will be many of these scams coming through now around christmas so be very careful
many will come to say it is your bank & if some transactions are not yours to press a number to correct it so you NEVER click any numbers or click on any return they ask you to do
if one comes through to say they are yout server or Bank as a phone call say you have a visitor & they will be gone with in the hour & to call you back & they will come back then you call your own bank or such to confirm it then when they call you back you tell them your bank said is not them they will hang up very fast
but the main is if any numbers call you & you dont know them just hung up & if it is important & you real friends they will call back again

a good thing is to get an extra DEBIT card from your bank or even the post office & keep a very small amount in it just to keep it open & any thing you wist to pay or buy then uses this card
IE keep $50 in the acct & if you want to buy something say $200 you go to your own acct & only transfer the $200 into the Debit card
then any hacker hits you all they can get is the amount that is in the DEBIT card they can not over drew it

hope it helps

a good thing is to get an extra DEBIT card from your bank or even the post office & keep a very small amount in it just to keep it open & any thing you wist to pay or buy then uses this card
IE keep $50 in the acct & if you want to buy something say $200 you go to your own acct & only transfer the $200 into the Debit card
then any hacker hits you all they can get is the amount that is in the DEBIT card they can not over drew it

hope it helps
Thanks I do the same thing

Got similar a while back. Ignored it as could see it was a scam. Didn't say which child
I had the same message, I even replied which child, and they said your eldest, which was quite feasible as he would do something like braking his phone. Once they asked me to pay $1,500 I knew that my son would never ask me for that amount of money, $20.00 yes, but not more. Rang him (just in case...) on his "old" mobile number and he confirmed me that it wasn't him.

Reactions: Gerada

Hi Members,

View attachment 10826

I have received this same message, my son dropped and broke his mobile and needs to pay a bill which now he can't as he had to buy a new phone and could I transfer $1,500 to a (unknown) bank account for him. Red flag, as he would never ask for that amount of money, he wouldn't have a bill for that amount either as I manage his finances, so I would have known, so I rang him to confirm that it wasn't him.

This morning I received an email from "MyGov" saying that I need to confirm my banking details by clicking "here" as they can't process my refund of $608.00. Again I know that they would never do that and it is just another scam to still people's money. So please beware of "MYGOV" emails too!!!