S

Sean Camara

Would-be homeowner loses more than $700,000 in a single click after falling victim to a new lucrative scam

A new lucrative scam has caused a would-be homeowner to lose more than $700,000 in a single click.

It was said that a West Australian woman, who was in the process of purchasing a property in Beaconsfield, received an email from someone impersonating her settlement agent in April.

The unsuspecting client said that the sender — who used a generic Hotmail email address bearing the agency's name — had sent her "authentic-looking documents", prompting her to believe that the email was legitimate.

She also disclosed that the sender asked her to deposit funds into a bank account prior to settlement.

The woman had already transferred $732,000 to the bank account when the real settlement agent reminded the clients about making the payment prior to carrying out the final property inspection, uncovering the scam that the would-be homeowner had fallen victim to.

FtcvA2qLsvuQG3lWHaXkWEka7r725f9z106UuMYCD4mq7qYyOZLyABSqk5KFWtKIIdOx9HldRVCXt5WiFe_uVgC0srAgLxZFY5xrYkWxta5hc6ryTRv3mxCgG_EEtFtoFdtuVDGI1RclaFjd

A Western Australian woman lost $732,000 after scammers impersonated her settlement agency. Credit: Getty Images.

Payment-redirection scams are on the rise in Australia, with victims losing tens of thousands of dollars in property transactions.

These scams usually involve high-value financial transactions, such as real estate purchases or business contracts. The scammers work by intercepting communications between the buyer and seller and substituting their own bank account details for the real ones. The buyer then transfers the money into the scammer’s account, thinking they are paying the seller.

As a result, the woman is one of nine victims in Western Australia alone who have reported losing a total of $1,015,129 to payment-redirection scams this year, three of which were involved in property transactions.

In 2021, 37 victims lost a total of $1,013,278, with only two victims recovering $287,407 of their losses.

In light of the recent spate of email scams targeting Australians, the WA Consumer Protection Executive Director Trish Blake has urged everyone to be more vigilant when it comes to their online communications.

Blake warned that these scams usually involve hackers gaining access to someone's email account or computer system, and then using that information to either request payments or change the bank account details associated with a particular payment.

She explained: “The hackers may have successfully guessed the password or installed spyware or malware on computers or laptops after recipients open attachments or click on links in scam emails."

“The losses from these scams can be extremely devastating to the victims who may have lost their home deposit that they have been saving for many years and may not be able to buy the home of their dreams. Or it may be a business doing it tough that can least afford to lose such a large amount of money.”

rTEjH9w5drzItfH_QZAbk63JNot3XZ5plgXy6zGb5stOFhMadSImxnGJ2xpRha4L7hFoNyxxDxwSDiznl_EgGl7l-D8KNJSmlFder5cgXJ07OZSkJsDdlvLSLoeq9cNsBTEElGXYr3RXOtUj

It is advised to call the purported sender of the email using the contact information from its official website to verify the authenticity of a request. Credit: Getty Images.

So, how can you protect yourself from becoming a victim of these scams?

Firstly, always verify the sender of any email you receive, even if it appears to be from a trusted source. If the message comes via a generic email service provider such as Gmail or Hotmail, be particularly suspicious.

Secondly, if you're unsure about the authenticity of a request, call the sender to confirm it using contact information from an official website.

Finally, consider setting up multi-factor authentication on all of your online accounts. This adds an extra layer of security by requiring you to enter a code from your mobile phone when logging in, in addition to your username and password.

Here’s a video tutorial on to turn on two-factor authentication in your Gmail account (or may visit the hyperlink we shared above for detailed written instruction):

Credit: YouTube/Gmail Help Support

Stay safe out there, folks!

Another day, another scam. It makes me so angry that something that should be so easy and secure is now becoming more difficult as you need more and more verification methods. However, it's good to see so many places that I deal with have now introduced the phone code verification.:(:mad:

It is unfortunate, but probably time we become skeptical of all first time transactions to prevent $ loss... Including mistakes as simple as a typo in an account number can lose money. Stay safe and:
1 - Use the bank verified app store phone/tablet apps wherever possible to avoid "Web Site based Scams".
2 - First time you send $ to someone, send a token amount and verify receipt with them yourself.
3 - Once you are satisfied the transaction is correct, then use the same process to transfer larger sums.
4 - Enable security features such as SMS verification codes to access your account, and when sending money to a new account for the first time...
At least if it is a scam of some sort you might only lose a few bucks, rather than the huge sums we are now hearing about every day....

As I don't have a computer or internet at home, I can only rely on limited data on my phone.
Consequently, I do no online banking....
I feel so sorry for the poor lady.
It's stressful enough to buy a new home.....

Reactions: Ricci
News update today says she just got her money back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220506-161136_9News.jpg
    Screenshot_20220506-161136_9News.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Ricci
News update today says she just got her money back.
That would appear to be a separate incident - The ACA article is regarding a bank account the lady thought she had created and when the money was transferred, it was instead sent to an offshore crypto currency organisation that flagged it as potential fraud. In her case the scam was the creation of a bank account on the internet on a "forged website" that resembled the bank in question. In this case a token transfer, and verifying receipt using the banks official apple/google store apps would have revealed the non receipt of the money and could have stopped there.

In the case reported above, it appears that an email invoice had been doctored during transit and provided the incorrect account details, which the money was then sent to. I don't know if that was recovered. Again if the standard practice was for a Real Estate / Builder (recipient) invoiced for a token amount and confirmed receipt before completing the full transfer in a second transaction this fraud would have been exposed before the bulk of the money was send to the scammers account.

It should work just like the banks and many organisations do to us when we ask for credit or a purchase the first time, where they charge our card $1 to confirm its real before giving us credit or goods - the same service should be offered us all as consumers by financial institutions and major providers (builders, car sales and so on...)... (ie.) Invoice or transfer a small portion, confirm we as consumers and the recipient are happy the token transaction is correct, and then transfer the remainder of the funds. I am sure that this would be able to be implemented if the will and demand was there, and surely the fraud costs incurred by them would justify doing something like "holding balance in escrow" till both parties say all good....

I am not financial, I am IT technical, so I reckon this ought to be possible, and reasonable, but not sure it is $ viable....

Take care all :)

Reactions: Jaynius and Ricci