Worth it or scrap it? Aldi releases a budget ‘all-in-one’ thermal cooker that’s over A THOUSAND DOLLARS CHEAPER than its rival brand

Being forced to spend most of our time indoors for the past few years (we’re looking at you COVID-19) naturally resulted in an excess amount of free time for everyone. Some discovered a love for gardening, others for reading, and maybe you’re one of the few who developed a deeper appreciation for cooking.

If so, then chances are you’ve heard about the new, must-have cooking gizmo on the block – the all-in-one cooking machine Thermomix. Sounds promising, eh? The only problem is that it costs a whopping $2000… Yikes!

But don’t fret, because if you’ve been keen to get your hands on a similar cooking appliance, then we’re delighted to announce that the supermarket chain Aldi recently launched a budget version of the Thermomix for $249.

Marketed as 10 appliances in one and having 10 different speeds, the Aldi Stirling Thermo Cooker claims to mix, emulsify, knead, sauté, stir, puree, smoothie, crush, steam, mill and it doesn’t end there — it also has an in-built scale to weigh out ingredients!

OvUr_73uzc_jEsq9MLDBuIvaa32TS5qKpG9YZe5h11uO5NSEAyQ1to8hIRZSvGOAFieSRZS7ZqNLsuFBhDaJBc5BOwLcwg5y8UFVN8AbCQ91JDa6XkiUt5CwYaCXViHRFDGKxcJ6PimoLCpgbA

The $249 Aldi Stirling Thermo Cooker. Image Credit: CHOICE

So, is it even worth a shot? Spending $249 is no joke either when you can allocate that budget for a week’s worth of groceries. Well, a pair of kitchen experts from CHOICE tested it out for us and they shared that it performed pretty well!

“The thermal cooker performed very well overall with excellent results in many of our performance tests. However, it did perform 'only OK' for our mashed potato, green smoothie and slow cook (stew) tests.” the experts explained.

“Pleasingly, the machine also passes our safety requirements with a speed cut-out above 60 degrees celsius and a lid locking mechanism.”

“But our testers needed to modify the manufacturer's recipes for risotto and mayonnaise to get good results. They also noticed that the unit shakes with a heavy load but suction feet help to prevent it from moving on the bench.”

CHOICE kitchen expert Fiona Mair went on to explain that when it comes to all-in-one appliances, you get what you pay for.

"Generally, cheaper all-in-one appliance brands such as Kogan have limited instructions and recipe guides compared with the more expensive brands, which can be an issue if you've never used an all-in-one appliance before," Fiona detailed.

"Using one of these appliances is a different way of cooking and preparing foods, so initially, you'll need guidance and specific recipes. These are features that the more expensive brands are better at delivering."

"If you're considering buying an all-in-one machine to replace most of your kitchen appliances, my advice would be to choose a brand that has excellent instructions with basic recipes, plus continued support and updates."

GRcpvRbFirXjK6GFr6a7q12ez2ad9KeWykHt1ASIiiybsMjGNtaKPZtqKloipLM9-yYgzwRfhnpg-RmAGjDnGja1F3OQun9WefqpLUbZEwAjHk1eNS7ysgrmG80KahCCtRlfE7FbhWsSHh_uwA

The Thermomix TM6. Image Credit: Food & Wine Magazine

Here’s a brief breakdown of a comparison of the differences between the two all-in-one cooking machines:

1. Aldi Stirling Thermo Cooker $249

This one comes with a 2-litre stainless steel bowl, built-in scale function, 1200 watts motor, 10 different speed settings, jug (with a blade, lid, and a measuring cup lid), steamer bowl (including its tray and lid), spatula, stirring attachment, protective blade jacket, and a user manual and recipe booklet. It also comes with a three-year warranty.

2. Thermomix TM6 $2359

With this gadget, you can chop, beat, blend, whip, mill, knead, mince, etc. as it boasts 20 functions and 12 models including sous vide, slow cooking and fermenting for making yoghurt.

It comes with a 2.2-litre stainless steel bowl, touchscreen feature, Wi-Fi connectivity, 120 pre-programmed recipes, and integrated scales. Plus, a 24-month warranty along with service centres can back you up just in case.

There’s also an option to use step-by-step guided cooking, pre-set recipes, or manual cooking. (Although the experts noted that using the tool manually posed some safety issues.)

All-in-one machines are great if you want to own a single machine at home with the ability to help you whip up a variety of dishes. They typically combine features such as slow cooking, food processing, steaming, and mixing – giving you access to a whole new range of dishes that you may want to explore and try making on your own.

However, Thermomix is undeniably the most recognisable of all the all-in-one kitchen machines for its wide range of features… But its jaw-dropping price and safety issues can understandably scare just about anyone away.

Aldi’s Stirling Thermo Cooker isn’t too shabby at all but it limits the dishes you can cook. But hey, at nearly 1/10th the price for a perfectly working all-in-one machine doesn’t sound all too bad of a bargain – especially if you’ve been meaning to get one for a while now.

What are your thoughts on these two cooking appliances? Share them with us in the comments.

Want to discover cheaper all-in-one machines? Watch the video below:

Video Credit: Sophie Guidolin

• Wow
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
I think I'll give both machines a miss thanks. I don't do enough "from scratch" cooking to warrant one and anyway I already have enough machines in my kitchen that do everything except eat the food!!:D

Reactions: debjane
i got the Aldi one and have used it twice and that was to make stock apart from that I don't think it is worth getting on I like cooking from scratch but i find that you have to fiddle around to much and I live on my own mine is in the cupboard I think I need to sell it to someone that will use it

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
Worth it or scrap it? Aldi releases a budget ‘all-in-one’ thermal cooker that’s over A THOUSAND DOLLARS CHEAPER than its rival brand

Being forced to spend most of our time indoors for the past few years (we’re looking at you COVID-19) naturally resulted in an excess amount of free time for everyone. Some discovered a love for gardening, others for reading, and maybe you’re one of the few who developed a deeper appreciation for cooking.

If so, then chances are you’ve heard about the new, must-have cooking gizmo on the block – the all-in-one cooking machine Thermomix. Sounds promising, eh? The only problem is that it costs a whopping $2000… Yikes!

But don’t fret, because if you’ve been keen to get your hands on a similar cooking appliance, then we’re delighted to announce that the supermarket chain Aldi recently launched a budget version of the Thermomix for $249.

Marketed as 10 appliances in one and having 10 different speeds, the Aldi Stirling Thermo Cooker claims to mix, emulsify, knead, sauté, stir, puree, smoothie, crush, steam, mill and it doesn’t end there — it also has an in-built scale to weigh out ingredients!

OvUr_73uzc_jEsq9MLDBuIvaa32TS5qKpG9YZe5h11uO5NSEAyQ1to8hIRZSvGOAFieSRZS7ZqNLsuFBhDaJBc5BOwLcwg5y8UFVN8AbCQ91JDa6XkiUt5CwYaCXViHRFDGKxcJ6PimoLCpgbA

The $249 Aldi Stirling Thermo Cooker. Image Credit: CHOICE

So, is it even worth a shot? Spending $249 is no joke either when you can allocate that budget for a week’s worth of groceries. Well, a pair of kitchen experts from CHOICE tested it out for us and they shared that it performed pretty well!

“The thermal cooker performed very well overall with excellent results in many of our performance tests. However, it did perform 'only OK' for our mashed potato, green smoothie and slow cook (stew) tests.” the experts explained.

“Pleasingly, the machine also passes our safety requirements with a speed cut-out above 60 degrees celsius and a lid locking mechanism.”

“But our testers needed to modify the manufacturer's recipes for risotto and mayonnaise to get good results. They also noticed that the unit shakes with a heavy load but suction feet help to prevent it from moving on the bench.”

CHOICE kitchen expert Fiona Mair went on to explain that when it comes to all-in-one appliances, you get what you pay for.

"Generally, cheaper all-in-one appliance brands such as Kogan have limited instructions and recipe guides compared with the more expensive brands, which can be an issue if you've never used an all-in-one appliance before," Fiona detailed.

"Using one of these appliances is a different way of cooking and preparing foods, so initially, you'll need guidance and specific recipes. These are features that the more expensive brands are better at delivering."

"If you're considering buying an all-in-one machine to replace most of your kitchen appliances, my advice would be to choose a brand that has excellent instructions with basic recipes, plus continued support and updates."

GRcpvRbFirXjK6GFr6a7q12ez2ad9KeWykHt1ASIiiybsMjGNtaKPZtqKloipLM9-yYgzwRfhnpg-RmAGjDnGja1F3OQun9WefqpLUbZEwAjHk1eNS7ysgrmG80KahCCtRlfE7FbhWsSHh_uwA

The Thermomix TM6. Image Credit: Food & Wine Magazine

Here’s a brief breakdown of a comparison of the differences between the two all-in-one cooking machines:

1. Aldi Stirling Thermo Cooker $249

This one comes with a 2-litre stainless steel bowl, built-in scale function, 1200 watts motor, 10 different speed settings, jug (with a blade, lid, and a measuring cup lid), steamer bowl (including its tray and lid), spatula, stirring attachment, protective blade jacket, and a user manual and recipe booklet. It also comes with a three-year warranty.

2. Thermomix TM6 $2359

With this gadget, you can chop, beat, blend, whip, mill, knead, mince, etc. as it boasts 20 functions and 12 models including sous vide, slow cooking and fermenting for making yoghurt.

It comes with a 2.2-litre stainless steel bowl, touchscreen feature, Wi-Fi connectivity, 120 pre-programmed recipes, and integrated scales. Plus, a 24-month warranty along with service centres can back you up just in case.

There’s also an option to use step-by-step guided cooking, pre-set recipes, or manual cooking. (Although the experts noted that using the tool manually posed some safety issues.)

All-in-one machines are great if you want to own a single machine at home with the ability to help you whip up a variety of dishes. They typically combine features such as slow cooking, food processing, steaming, and mixing – giving you access to a whole new range of dishes that you may want to explore and try making on your own.

However, Thermomix is undeniably the most recognisable of all the all-in-one kitchen machines for its wide range of features… But its jaw-dropping price and safety issues can understandably scare just about anyone away.

Aldi’s Stirling Thermo Cooker isn’t too shabby at all but it limits the dishes you can cook. But hey, at nearly 1/10th the price for a perfectly working all-in-one machine doesn’t sound all too bad of a bargain – especially if you’ve been meaning to get one for a while now.

What are your thoughts on these two cooking appliances? Share them with us in the comments.

Want to discover cheaper all-in-one machines? Watch the video below:

Video Credit: Sophie Guidolin

I have only had mine for a week and so far I have made cheesecake, bolognaise sauce, smoothies, oat bars, curry and rice. I LOVE it. My daughter is a baker and says it makes the best meringue and butter cream icing.

Reactions: Ricci