Woolworths trials new self-serve checkouts

Woolworths, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, is known for its attempts to improve customer convenience.

In a recent move to enhance the shopping experience, the company has introduced a new system at self-serve checkouts.

In this system, Woolworths has marked Card-Only checkouts in a sleek grey colour, while Cash and Card tills are highlighted in bright green.

This simple yet effective change allows customers to quickly identify their preferred checkout option, saving them time and potential frustration.

compressed-shutterstock_1089358634.jpeg
Woolworths unveiled its new colour-coding system for customers to identify their checkout options easily. Credit: Shutterstock

The colour-coded checkouts have been introduced in a ‘handful’ of stores across Australia as part of a trial.

Woolworths is keen to gather customer feedback before rolling out the system nationwide.

Cash users were delighted with these changes, as only a few self-serve checkouts accept cash.

However, other shoppers said they still refused to use the customer-operated registers.

A Woolworths spokesperson shared that the new colour-coding system is part of the company's ongoing efforts to make shopping 'easier and more convenient' for customers.

'We've implemented colour-coordinated self-serve checkouts so customers can easily find their preferred checkout, whether it be “Cash & Card” or “Card Only,”’ they said.

'All the self-serve checkouts have improved signage as a complement (to the colours). We look forward to continuing to receive feedback from customers on the change.'

Last year, Woolworths installed automatic gates and high-tech surveillance in their self-service checkout areas as a test run in select stores across Australia.

Other stores have also been trying new features to improve their self-serve checkout systems nationwide.

For one, Kmart trialled a new security camera system in December, which uses camera vision and artificial intelligence (AI) to detect when items have not been scanned properly.

Coles also rolled out its electronic gate systems as a final step to reduce theft in the supermarket chain.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths is trialling a new colour-coded system at self-serve checkouts to distinguish between machines that accept cash and those that are card-only.
  • The machines that accept cash and cards will be easily identifiable with a neon lime colour, while card-only machines will be wrapped in dark grey.
  • The supermarket hopes this change will make the shopping experience 'easier and more convenient' for customers.
  • While some customers are excited about the change, others remain sceptical and say they will 'refuse' to use self-serve checkouts regardless of the updates.
Have you used the colour-coded checkouts at Woolworths? Do you find them helpful? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
to be honest I personally HATE self-serve (won't use them) - but I also understand why they have been installed. But the main problem I see is the ratio between "Staff Serve" and Self-Serve" is way out of balance. I believe the ratio should be for every (OPENED) 1 "Staff Serve" they can have 2 "Self-Serve"
But at the same time the "ESPRESS/DISABLE/ Front Counter" should always be staffed and should be open from the time the shop opens til they close each day.
And "Yes" I do believe that the colour code will help the "Self-Serve" shopper.

I will never use self checkouts until I either get a discount or paid to do it. What if I hurt myself during my self checkout? Am I covered by workers' compensation? If people start leaving trolleys full of goods behind and walk out if no normal checkout is offered. They will soon wake up if everyone does it.
We all have the power but we must use it. Just like cash, if we don't use it we will lose it and then we will be enslaved to the banks who will charge you for every transaction you make!

If you are not involving yourself with theft, why object to the things stores are putting into place to stop theft. It is not an invasion of privacy, just good common sense for heavens sake. Just accept that digital technology is here to stay and get on with your, hopefully, honest life.

What rubbish ! And looking at that picture I admire the young mum’s going through self serve with a couple of kids and a full trolley of groceries! Where do they put it all ?
And that's what slows down self-serve. She'll probably be letting the kids do the check-out as well. Full trolleys should go to staffed checkouts.

If you are not involving yourself with theft, why object to the things stores are putting into place to stop theft. It is not an invasion of privacy, just good common sense for heavens sake. Just accept that digital technology is here to stay and get on with your, hopefully, honest life.
But remember there are a lot of people out there who honestly find it very hard to use all this new digital tech.

Wow ! This is amazing WW. This type of service will go down in history. Never before as anyone come up with such a stupid method to identify a checkout. Maybe the words "CASH" or "CARD ONLY" might be easier for those who are colorblind or stupid like the person who came up with this ingenious idea.
WELL DONE WOOLWORTHS. Make sure you give this genious a bonus. Oh, and don't forget to ad this cost to our grocery bills. We love paying for this sort of shit.

If there is no one to put my purchases through, I just put them all back on the shelves & leave. I then go to Aldi.

Hate Hate Hate Hate and LOATHE SelfServe checkouts!
Nasty greedy supermarkets only experienced increases in theft when they dumped staff!
Hire more staff and dump this revolting Americanisation of SelfServe.
Serves these giant supermarkets right when power goes out and no one can buy anything!
Australia likes and wants people power and that means staff at supermarket conveyor belt checkouts.