Woolworths shopper shares “FRUSTRATING” experience at a self-service checkout after they are “FORCED” to make a donation for a charity

Voluntarily donating money is an uplifting feeling, especially when it is for a cause that you care about the most.

When you donate money, you're not only helping out a cause or individual, but you're also making a difference in the world.

However, it can't be denied that it can get quite nerve-wracking when you are faced with a situation that obliges you to give out money.

One Woolworths shopper has experienced this situation after a glitch with the self-service checkout appeared to leave them with no choice but to donate to the retailer's charity partner.

Sharing their frustrating experience on Reddit, the shopper said that the self-service screen brought up an option to make a donation to Variety the Children's Charity — Woolworths' partner organisation since 2013, working to provide services to children who are sick, disadvantaged, or are in need of special assistance who have no access to government services — asking them to donate money by rounding up their bill to the nearest dollar and donating the small sum.

While the harmless scheme seemed to be a normal scenario in most self-service checkouts, the shopper said that the machine only gave them two options: "Yes Please" or "Yes".

5hVoo4XXriXVuBmpTsR3y3jFX6_chWzB8Iii50D97_GGEUcZy4C7q4LMjDmTNMx7d2dfB6BOmjbruTNLJs2uyKC6bAucCHsA0lpSE0wC1AkuBE3SJvrW1GN1SDqdb9G0dVz-Bs4

A Woolworths shopper claimed that a self-service checkout machine forced them to make a donation to charity after it showed a screen with no option to refuse the donation request. Credit: Reddit.

No need to take a double look, folks. Apparently, the machine did not include the option to refuse the request to donate money to the charity, leaving the shopper confused and frustrated.

“Thanks, Woolworths, very cool,” the customer wrote on a post along with a photo of the self-service checkout.

The post has captured the attention of Woolies’ shoppers who expressed their resentment over the supermarket giant's request to donate money to its partner charity.

One user wrote: “Ah yes, giant supermarket chain asking for your charity. How sweet.”

“Yea after they ask $9 for a broccoli,” another quipped.

A third chimed in: “There should be a ‘round up and we’ll match it’ button."

“I get that this is a system glitch, but can multi-billion dollar corporations not try guilting their customers to donate to charities?” another asked.

Another comment read: “They can donate directly themselves. Also if they want to feed people they could start by not throwing away tonnes of perfectly fine food every single day.”

One user who claimed to be a Woolworths employee confirmed that there are glitches occurring on some machines but not all machines experience this, suggesting that customers should just press "Yes" next time as it counts as a no.

The user wrote: “Woolies worker here. This is a known issue to my store at least. Pressing yes on the bottom counts as a no. Only happens on one of 16 machines though.”

73pqD1hy_yavVzXxRJFV4tJ9UjclzmVqVywvVtQH2OaELq3eiTBBTH31ZGvibARieJ-Nuj6FpD_aNetpQvBrcrsQwo6WW9IiutZvydbmUkeIN9p1nKwYjBhE_bmEAz_PZnGJxnk

Woolworths said that the glitch is an isolated case and that shoppers are not obliged to make donations. Credit: news.com.au.

A Woolworths spokesperson has commented on the issue, confirming that donations are "intended to be optional" and that shoppers are not forced to oblige to the donation requests.

The spokesperson said: “We thank these customers for getting in touch about the incorrect prompt at their local store.”

“We believe this technical glitch is limited to a few stores and we’re in contact with these customers to understand which stores they shopped in so we can fix this localised issue as soon as possible.”

What are your thoughts on this? Is it rude to be forcing people to make a donation for charitable causes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I don't find it frustrating at all. You can so no if you don't want to donate. Its usually on a small cents and it goes to a good cause 🌹

Reactions: Ricci and terri
As there is always a staff member on duty you can always ask them what to do, they would know that yes means no on the machines with the glitch. There is no reason to complain to the world at large when you haven't complained in store.;)

Don't use self serve , problem solved . I am against self serve i believe self serve means less people in employment . I am not employed to work on the checkouts. The supermarkets get enough money from us without doing unpaid work for them . And I like to have a chat with the operators who are on the whole friendly.

Once at the Chemist, I was having a form signed witnessing my signature by a JP.
The Chemist demanded I make a donation to a charity of his choice by credit card.
I don't have a credit card, and I didn't approve of his standover tactics, so I told him I would report him to authorities. He just waved me away, and I've never been back into his store. Prior to that, I was a regular customer.
Voluntary contribution, it used to be called.

Woolworths shopper shares “FRUSTRATING” experience at a self-service checkout after they are “FORCED” to make a donation for a charity

Voluntarily donating money is an uplifting feeling, especially when it is for a cause that you care about the most.

When you donate money, you're not only helping out a cause or individual, but you're also making a difference in the world.

However, it can't be denied that it can get quite nerve-wracking when you are faced with a situation that obliges you to give out money.

One Woolworths shopper has experienced this situation after a glitch with the self-service checkout appeared to leave them with no choice but to donate to the retailer's charity partner.

Sharing their frustrating experience on Reddit, the shopper said that the self-service screen brought up an option to make a donation to Variety the Children's Charity — Woolworths' partner organisation since 2013, working to provide services to children who are sick, disadvantaged, or are in need of special assistance who have no access to government services — asking them to donate money by rounding up their bill to the nearest dollar and donating the small sum.

While the harmless scheme seemed to be a normal scenario in most self-service checkouts, the shopper said that the machine only gave them two options: "Yes Please" or "Yes".

5hVoo4XXriXVuBmpTsR3y3jFX6_chWzB8Iii50D97_GGEUcZy4C7q4LMjDmTNMx7d2dfB6BOmjbruTNLJs2uyKC6bAucCHsA0lpSE0wC1AkuBE3SJvrW1GN1SDqdb9G0dVz-Bs4

A Woolworths shopper claimed that a self-service checkout machine forced them to make a donation to charity after it showed a screen with no option to refuse the donation request. Credit: Reddit.

No need to take a double look, folks. Apparently, the machine did not include the option to refuse the request to donate money to the charity, leaving the shopper confused and frustrated.

“Thanks, Woolworths, very cool,” the customer wrote on a post along with a photo of the self-service checkout.

The post has captured the attention of Woolies’ shoppers who expressed their resentment over the supermarket giant's request to donate money to its partner charity.

One user wrote: “Ah yes, giant supermarket chain asking for your charity. How sweet.”

“I get that this is a system glitch, but can multi-billion dollar corporations not try guilting their customers to donate to charities?” another asked.

Another comment read: “They can donate directly themselves. Also if they want to feed people they could start by not throwing away tonnes of perfectly fine food every single day.”

One user who claimed to be a Woolworths employee confirmed that there are glitches occurring on some machines but not all machines experience this, suggesting that customers should just press "Yes" next time as it counts as a no.

The user wrote: “Woolies worker here. This is a known issue to my store at least. Pressing yes on the bottom counts as a no. Only happens on one of 16 machines though.”

73pqD1hy_yavVzXxRJFV4tJ9UjclzmVqVywvVtQH2OaELq3eiTBBTH31ZGvibARieJ-Nuj6FpD_aNetpQvBrcrsQwo6WW9IiutZvydbmUkeIN9p1nKwYjBhE_bmEAz_PZnGJxnk

Woolworths said that the glitch is an isolated case and that shoppers are not obliged to make donations. Credit: news.com.au.

A Woolworths spokesperson has commented on the issue, confirming that donations are "intended to be optional" and that shoppers are not forced to oblige to the donation requests.

The spokesperson said: “We thank these customers for getting in touch about the incorrect prompt at their local store.”

“We believe this technical glitch is limited to a few stores and we’re in contact with these customers to understand which stores they shopped in so we can fix this localised issue as soon as possible.”

What are your thoughts on this? Is it rude to be forcing people to make a donation for charitable causes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
If that had happened to me and I didn't want to donate, then I would've called for assistance and asked to have it cleared. There's always a staff member in the self serve areas.

Reactions: Ricci

It is rude to force the issue. Some people are, of necessity, on a very tight budget and cannot add anything extra to their weekly shop. Being forced to donate in this way could be a very stressful situation for some.

@JKD Interesting to hear you say this... Maddie also worked for a non-profit for 6 months or so and it left her very cynical about the whole industry. Would be good to hear more about your experience.

Don't use self serve , problem solved . I am against self serve i believe self serve means less people in employment . I am not employed to work on the checkouts. The supermarkets get enough money from us without doing unpaid work for them . And I like to have a chat with the operators who are on the whole friendly.
Trouble is often there are no checkouts open, so it's either self service or not buy anything.

I will not use self service at the supermarkets, it is just taking jobs away from people who need them,. Being an elderly person I find the Self Service too hard to deal with, I will only go to a cashier who is friendly, helpful and packs my bags for me.

Reactions: Phyll and Ricci

How disgraceful. Woolworths is NOT like it use to be unfortunately back in the day, especially when it was first developed. It's so corrupt. How dare it asume and say it's only one in 16 checkouts do that! Pathetic.

Trouble is often there are no checkouts open, so it's either self service or not buy anything.
If you ask at the service desk they will open a check out to serve you or put your shopping through the self serve for you .