Woolworths shopper reveals the secret to scoring a kilo of fresh lamb for $8 – “A total bargain!”

It’s old news, right? Vegetable prices are at an all-time high, meat costs a fortune, and everything else will make you want to grip your wallet a little tighter.

However, one customer recently shared how you can still indulge in a delicious plate of roasted lamb for dinner even if you’re on a limited budget. Sharing her secret to a popular Facebook page ‘Markdown Addicts Australia’, the frugal shopper revealed the trick to scoring a ‘d*mn good’ fresh lamb for $8 per kilo.

The shopper detailed that during her grocery run at Woolworths, she stumbled upon several packs of Lamb Offcuts retailing for a fraction of the price of other cuts. Among the 562 grams of ‘Offcuts’ that she purchased, which cost her only $4.50, the shopper got her hands on six decent-sized chops as well, including five other smaller pieces of lamb.

In her Facebook post, the customer added that she was taken aback by the incredible bargain.

“So I went to buy three little lamb chops today as it’s only for me, they had a six-pack for $20,” she wrote.

“Then, I saw the offcuts. Well, hello? Who wouldn’t take this option?”

_dUtJ6a4pEMo5thEwLjd_jV2kzYE3b9eKCuZbB688SeUOSW8W3BR7HTU32RIjMU_gpFOuD1-g_U6cBIGPe9LyHw1t86vXTix-7dw_g3BTpNyKnalTretPKcA0VlwBfPBtNVPz-g6h8-maM5-jA

Affordable meat? Is that even a thing nowadays? Image Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia

It seems that not a lot of shoppers were aware that trays of Lamb Offcuts were available in Woolworths as they flooded the comments and shared a similar stunned reaction.

“I’ve never seen offcuts packs before! What the!” exclaimed one person.

“I can honestly say that I have never seen these before. Where do they hide? Do they do this with beef and pork?” added another.

A third chimed: “Never seen lamb offcuts. Will have to look in the future.”

A couple of former Woolworths employees confirmed that the packs are of great quality despite being cheap.

“I worked for Woolworths factory and the offcuts are honestly good pieces of meat,” the former worker said.

L5jO-7zsuB6UZS9YJY72leyGN-jBfheq5tCRxFWD4wBf1R28NSjgKvQvVB-_7hm1MR7TcTYT-zDSiY6ihjezzLcqUtWeDHFZ2rfXb2Bw6NPJ3Wti1RXaPRKO02SHz3V2ZA9TWhfY8Y6rv55spg

Another shopper scored the cheap Lamb Offcuts. Image Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia

“And half the time the line is going too fast to grab the proper chops first, so they always end up in the offcut packages.”

Another ex-employee shared: “I’ve worked packing these. They’re just the end pieces of the lamb when they’re slicing lamb chops as well as full lamb chops and cutlet excess from completed orders.”

Other customers revealed that they knew about the lamb hack beforehand and vouched for the budget-friendly Lamb Offcuts – even hailing them as “d*mn good meat”.

“Great for soups and casserole, fry them up. I do love them too at that price!” one user added.

“I’ve bought these before! They are a total bargain.” another claimed.

A third added: “You can get some awesome ones in offcuts! We buy them all the time and I taught my dad to do it when he was out of work. We take out the good stuff and give the mangled-looking bits to the dogs (no sharp bones for dogs).”

“I’ve done this before and was amazed by the good bits of meat you can get in them.” a fourth commented.

And one more wrote: “And at only $8 a kilo? It’s a bargain!”

Were you aware of this lamb hack? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Unsure what you can whip up with this particular lamb cut? Watch the video below!

Video Credit: NicHomecooking

Sponsored
I don't buy lamb any more and especially not chops. By the time they are cooked, you cut off the fat, take out the bone and you're only left with one mouthful of meat. When I do buy any sort of meat it has to be boneless, I'm not going to waste money paying for something that weighs heavily and ends up in the bin.;):rolleyes:

It’s old news, right? Vegetable prices are at an all-time high, meat costs a fortune, and everything else will make you want to grip your wallet a little tighter.

However, one customer recently shared how you can still indulge in a delicious plate of roasted lamb for dinner even if you’re on a limited budget. Sharing her secret to a popular Facebook page ‘Markdown Addicts Australia’, the frugal shopper revealed the trick to scoring a ‘d*mn good’ fresh lamb for $8 per kilo.

The shopper detailed that during her grocery run at Woolworths, she stumbled upon several packs of Lamb Offcuts retailing for a fraction of the price of other cuts. Among the 562 grams of ‘Offcuts’ that she purchased, which cost her only $4.50, the shopper got her hands on six decent-sized chops as well, including five other smaller pieces of lamb.

In her Facebook post, the customer added that she was taken aback by the incredible bargain.

“So I went to buy three little lamb chops today as it’s only for me, they had a six-pack for $20,” she wrote.

_dUtJ6a4pEMo5thEwLjd_jV2kzYE3b9eKCuZbB688SeUOSW8W3BR7HTU32RIjMU_gpFOuD1-g_U6cBIGPe9LyHw1t86vXTix-7dw_g3BTpNyKnalTretPKcA0VlwBfPBtNVPz-g6h8-maM5-jA

Affordable meat? Is that even a thing nowadays? Image Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia

It seems that not a lot of shoppers were aware that trays of Lamb Offcuts were available in Woolworths as they flooded the comments and shared a similar stunned reaction.

“I can honestly say that I have never seen these before. Where do they hide? Do they do this with beef and pork?” added another.

A couple of former Woolworths employees confirmed that the packs are of great quality despite being cheap.

“I worked for Woolworths factory and the offcuts are honestly good pieces of meat,” the former worker said.

L5jO-7zsuB6UZS9YJY72leyGN-jBfheq5tCRxFWD4wBf1R28NSjgKvQvVB-_7hm1MR7TcTYT-zDSiY6ihjezzLcqUtWeDHFZ2rfXb2Bw6NPJ3Wti1RXaPRKO02SHz3V2ZA9TWhfY8Y6rv55spg

Another shopper scored the cheap Lamb Offcuts. Image Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia

“And half the time the line is going too fast to grab the proper chops first, so they always end up in the offcut packages.”

Another ex-employee shared: “I’ve worked packing these. They’re just the end pieces of the lamb when they’re slicing lamb chops as well as full lamb chops and cutlet excess from completed orders.”

Other customers revealed that they knew about the lamb hack beforehand and vouched for the budget-friendly Lamb Offcuts – even hailing them as “d*mn good meat”.

“Great for soups and casserole, fry them up. I do love them too at that price!” one user added.

A third added: “You can get some awesome ones in offcuts! We buy them all the time and I taught my dad to do it when he was out of work. We take out the good stuff and give the mangled-looking bits to the dogs (no sharp bones for dogs).”

“I’ve done this before and was amazed by the good bits of meat you can get in them.” a fourth commented.

Unsure what you can whip up with this particular lamb cut? Watch the video below!

Sounds great, but the off cuts I have seen have mostly been mostly fat.

I don't buy lamb any more and especially not chops. By the time they are cooked, you cut off the fat, take out the bone and you're only left with one mouthful of meat. When I do buy any sort of meat it has to be boneless, I'm not going to waste money paying for something that weighs heavily and ends up in the bin.;):rolleyes:
Who can afford lamb ? Meat is ridiculous and I don't understand why? I stick to pork and look for specials and there's only two of us and my daughter is not a big eater

I'm fully with you there

don’t eat meat now, but I used to look for these.
‘Aldi my place to shop now. I have been cooking fish, poaching basa in butter and lemon, on a very low heat, slowly. Delicious, with rice or 2 min noodles.

Reactions: Ricci
Hi Members! We've actually had another member Mick S. send through this in an email:

"Just a quick note on the lamb offcuts story.

I did just that a few years ago.

I had bought them a few times and found much the same as in your story but then I had the misfortune of buying a pack that had some chops and cutlets on top of a big mound.

However when I lifted these of the pack there was only pieces of fat and skin underneath that made up the mound.

I took it back only to be told that I paid for offcuts and that is what I got.

It happened again another time and as such I won't buy it again."

So there you go? It seems like it's a matter of luck whether the offcuts packet is a good one or a dud one?

Gee when they discount our meat packets your lucky if you get $ 1.00 off. Mostly
50 cents To a dollar.

I’ve been lucky a number of times with the lamb offcuts but you have to have a good look at the packets. Great for casseroles and soups.

Basa is the worst fish out there.. grown under terrible conditions. Google it..
I used to help out at a local Fish and Chip shop, we tried Basa once, just once. On the box it came in, printed large was the words - "Not cleared for Animal or Fish Food" Ok, so it's good enough for humans but not animals no thank you. Plus it's only white because it's bleached.:(

• Wow
Reactions: Wandiwa
I wouldn't eat Basa under ANY circumstances knowing what they did with it years ago. Still the same. As for the off-cuts re the lamb, in all honesty I have been lucky. Mostly it is bagged & making the basis for soup Is a saving & adding pork bones too is a lovely change. My Mum used to make a ripper of a stew during WW2 that my soldierboy could not get leave quick enough to get into Mum's stew. She used to freeze a big pot of it with veggies, barley etc then take all the fat off the top cold. It was to die for the way she made it (her way). I AM STILL TRYING. Mine is always different. I still wonder if she roasted the vegies, especially the parsnips & the artichokes which she grew for thrift. They deserved their name IF we had them with only a few vegies. (Wind bags). ha ha.

Lamb used to be the cheapest Aussie meat, now it's just about the dearest....I buy it rarely as a treat for my husband if I see it on special. Personally I prefer lamb roast, but he loves a chop.... but this lady's special find is amazing. Must have had a very fussy butcher working that day to reject those chops as off cuts, it's usually what I find under the top row of the regular chops I buy!!

I've never seen them because I didn't know about offcuts either. Will check it out on our next shop for sure.

Lamb used to be the cheapest Aussie meat, now it's just about the dearest....I buy it rarely as a treat for my husband if I see it on special. Personally I prefer lamb roast, but he loves a chop.... but this lady's special find is amazing. Must have had a very fussy butcher working that day to reject those chops as off cuts, it's usually what I find under the top row of the regular chops I buy!!
In the 1960's, my mum would buy a side of lamb for just over a pound ($2). The butcher cut it up into chops, roast etc. It was enough to last us a fortnight, til our next shopping trip. It was the cheapest meat! Can't believe how expensive it is now!

Well, maybe Tasmanian shoppers get all the fat, because that has not been the case where I shop.

I’ve bought these a few times, and I think you can be lucky or unlucky with what’s in the packs. I always check through the packs carefully to see which is the best. They’re great for soups.