Woolworths' new self-checkout rule triggers customer uproar—here's why!

Woolworths has stirred customers' rage in a recent incident, as shared by some shoppers, due to a controversial new measure.

An incident involving a particular produce has arisen due to the supermarket giant's most recent strategy to deter shoplifting at the self-service checkout.

It’s a scenario seemingly fit for the digital age: a customer slips a bag of mushrooms across a self-checkout scanner, only to be halted by an alert demanding a staff member’s inspection.

At Woolworths, it’s standard to offer brown paper bags for mushrooms to preserve their freshness. But now, these bags are the centre of customer grievances.

As reported by one shopper online, the self-checkout system paused their transaction and prompted a Woolworths staff member to verify the bag's contents.

woolworths.jpeg
There were heated debates on social media after a customer had a bad experience at a Woolworths self-checkout counter. Image credit: TikTok

The measure seeks to clamp down on customers, possibly hiding pricier goods or more expensive mushroom types, thereby circumventing the rightful price tag.

‘Woolworths is looking inside the mushroom bags at the self-checkout,’ the shopper shared, announcing it as a ‘public service announcement’.

‘Not sure if it’s random, or if it’s triggered by a certain weight. However, if you purchase loose mushrooms, the self-checkout will pause and prompt the attendant to come over and look inside the mushroom bag.’

Another shopper shared a similar experience.

‘Happened to me,’ a shopper recalled. ‘I was f****** p*****, because the day before, I had bought their pre-packed mushrooms and after opening the fine-looking packaging, the mushrooms were slimy and beyond use. Totally ripped off.’

‘But the next day, when I chose them myself, they’re acting like I was the one trying to rip them off, “Sorry we need to look in the bag.”’

‘I’m sorry too, but yesterday, if I’d have opened that package of mushrooms to make sure you weren’t ripping me off, you’d have had a total fit.’

Other disgruntled voices weighed in, ranging from exasperation over the invasion of privacy to sarcasm regarding the financial impact of mushroom price variance.

‘I just—oh, this enrages me. I HATE self-checkouts,’ one customer said.

Another shopper replied, ‘It’s so people don’t try and put through the fancy portobello mushrooms at the plain old white mushroom price. Because that extra $2/kg is going to send them bankrupt.’

‘Don’t you just love being made to feel like a thief?’ one more shopper shared.

‘With the amount of times the attendant gets called over these days there’s no time benefit of self-checkout.’

‘I’m seriously thinking about just using regular checkouts ‘cos they seem faster.’

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has expressed frustration over a new security measure at the self-serve checkouts involving mandatory bag checks by staff.
  • The measure is designed to prevent customers from hiding more expensive items in brown paper mushroom bags.
  • The incident has led to other shoppers reporting similar experiences and voicing their dissatisfaction with the heightened security.
  • Many customers feel inconvenienced and distrusted due to the new measure, with some considering returning to regular checkouts for efficiency.

Dear members, what's been your experience at self-checkouts? Do you find it more efficient than regular checkouts? We'd love to hear your stories. Share them below!

Sponsored
NO problems at all using Self Service Checkouts ~
Mainly because I point-blank REFUSE to use Self-Serve Checkouts ! Under ANY circumstances !
When WW and Coles offer me a 10% discount for doing their work for them - I'll reconsider the situation !

NO problems at all using Self Service Checkouts ~
Mainly because I point-blank REFUSE to use Self-Serve Checkouts ! Under ANY circumstances !
When WW and Coles offer me a 10% discount for doing their work for them - I'll reconsider the situation !
Then they will charge you a $65 per year membership, ala Costco, for the privilege of a discount.

Last edited:
I always use service check outs I don't like doing self check outs I've paid for my products not doing their job for them not as if they slash prices that's why aldi is preferable prices cheaper
Me too

i will never ever use self check out, i always ask for a check out to be opened, as if mistakes happen i dont want to be damned to feel a thief,

Reactions: maherdj
If People dont like these Totalitarian measures by these suspicious Greed driven Supermarkets go elsewhere, like a Small GreenGrocer hit them in their Hip Pocket where it hurts . People need to start growing their own Produce also Mushrooms are easy to grow at Home or get involved in Community Veggie Gardens

If some teenager bimbo straight out of school tried that stunt with me, the floor would be covered in mushrooms promptly squished into the floor and the rest of my shopping left there at the checkout.

And for the "you dress funny", my reply would be "I can get changed when I get home....in your case, you can't change f**king ugliness".

Loved the last paragraph

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I tend to avoid the self serve checkouts, I like to talk to people. They also check the brown paper bag for mushroom type. My bugbear is having someone wanting to see the docket after I have paid on the way out of the store. Bunnings & Kmart are the most painful for this BS.
Oh, what a chore, do you need any help afterwards, sedatives maybe?

• Angry
Reactions: June E
never used self checkouts never will tried to force me once i just left the trolley where it was and walked out

Reactions: June E
If some teenager bimbo straight out of school tried that stunt with me, the floor would be covered in mushrooms promptly squished into the floor and the rest of my shopping left there at the checkout.

And for the "you dress funny", my reply would be "I can get changed when I get home....in your case, you can't change f**king ugliness".
How childish

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
never used self checkouts never will tried to force me once i just left the trolley where it was and walked out
Well that's stupid, so you had to go and select your groceries again, more work for you and will make zero difference to the shop, some people are so dopey

Self-checkouts is where Coles and Woolies make all their money. They have less money to pay their fewer workers.

Self-checkouts is where Coles and Woolies make all their money. They have less money to pay their fewer workers.
They have INCREASED their workforce, not reduced them. There are many other tasks within the store that are they are attending to, like online shopping for others.

Maybe you need a good dose of sodium thiopental. At least 25 mg/kg of body weight.
I'm not the one crying about asking to open your bag. Why is this such a problem for you? You sound like a bitter person, the world is against you, boohoo........get over it. Stop treating others like dirt, they are just doing their job.

My incident happened at Coles.
I made my selection of 12 products & got to the self serve register & started scanning & discovered the check out chick standing right behind me looking over my shoulder.
I asked her if I could help her & is there a problem. Her reply was no, just making sure you’re scanning the items properly & you don’t miss scanning anything.
My response to her was, I do know how to scan on these machines, I’m an ex checkout chick, she then said to me, besides you dress funny (I’m dressed in jeans, tshirt, mussed up hair & sandals with a shoulder bag, plus bought my own shopping bag).
This same girl does the “looking over my shoulder” everyone I go through self serve. I often now go through the regular checkouts.
Boy, You missed a perfect opportunity.
If it had have been me I would have asked, like you, if I could help her.
I would have then said " Well you seem to be an expert, how about you scan my articles and show me how it's done or how YOU would like it done.
I reckon she would have left you alone then.