Woolworths' new self-checkout rule triggers customer uproar—here's why!

Woolworths has stirred customers' rage in a recent incident, as shared by some shoppers, due to a controversial new measure.

An incident involving a particular produce has arisen due to the supermarket giant's most recent strategy to deter shoplifting at the self-service checkout.

It’s a scenario seemingly fit for the digital age: a customer slips a bag of mushrooms across a self-checkout scanner, only to be halted by an alert demanding a staff member’s inspection.

At Woolworths, it’s standard to offer brown paper bags for mushrooms to preserve their freshness. But now, these bags are the centre of customer grievances.

As reported by one shopper online, the self-checkout system paused their transaction and prompted a Woolworths staff member to verify the bag's contents.

woolworths.jpeg
There were heated debates on social media after a customer had a bad experience at a Woolworths self-checkout counter. Image credit: TikTok

The measure seeks to clamp down on customers, possibly hiding pricier goods or more expensive mushroom types, thereby circumventing the rightful price tag.

‘Woolworths is looking inside the mushroom bags at the self-checkout,’ the shopper shared, announcing it as a ‘public service announcement’.

‘Not sure if it’s random, or if it’s triggered by a certain weight. However, if you purchase loose mushrooms, the self-checkout will pause and prompt the attendant to come over and look inside the mushroom bag.’

Another shopper shared a similar experience.

‘Happened to me,’ a shopper recalled. ‘I was f****** p*****, because the day before, I had bought their pre-packed mushrooms and after opening the fine-looking packaging, the mushrooms were slimy and beyond use. Totally ripped off.’

‘But the next day, when I chose them myself, they’re acting like I was the one trying to rip them off, “Sorry we need to look in the bag.”’

‘I’m sorry too, but yesterday, if I’d have opened that package of mushrooms to make sure you weren’t ripping me off, you’d have had a total fit.’

Other disgruntled voices weighed in, ranging from exasperation over the invasion of privacy to sarcasm regarding the financial impact of mushroom price variance.

‘I just—oh, this enrages me. I HATE self-checkouts,’ one customer said.

Another shopper replied, ‘It’s so people don’t try and put through the fancy portobello mushrooms at the plain old white mushroom price. Because that extra $2/kg is going to send them bankrupt.’

‘Don’t you just love being made to feel like a thief?’ one more shopper shared.

‘With the amount of times the attendant gets called over these days there’s no time benefit of self-checkout.’

‘I’m seriously thinking about just using regular checkouts ‘cos they seem faster.’

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has expressed frustration over a new security measure at the self-serve checkouts involving mandatory bag checks by staff.
  • The measure is designed to prevent customers from hiding more expensive items in brown paper mushroom bags.
  • The incident has led to other shoppers reporting similar experiences and voicing their dissatisfaction with the heightened security.
  • Many customers feel inconvenienced and distrusted due to the new measure, with some considering returning to regular checkouts for efficiency.

Dear members, what's been your experience at self-checkouts? Do you find it more efficient than regular checkouts? We'd love to hear your stories. Share them below!

Sponsored
I always use service check outs I don't like doing self check outs I've paid for my products not doing their job for them not as if they slash prices that's why aldi is preferable prices cheaper
I always use service checkouts too but not because I don't want to do their job for them. It's because I hope by doing so I am keeping someone in a job.

• Wow
Reactions: wendell
thing is WHY use the self service if you don’t want to be inspected
I would not want to use them in a fit. Not for that reason but I’m paying for service with my goods , why do the work yourself. You are only keeping the self service check outs in business by using them JUST like the banks wanting you to use ATM years ago. Oh no we give staff other jobs they said. Now they are closing branches WHERE ARE THE JOBS NOW Give an inch and they take a mile
MONEY HUNGRY B …. $$$$$

I stopped using the self checkout when I constantly had to wait for assistance.now I only use the assisted checkout and
just stand there and let then do the work they get paid for.

Reactions: xris
I see NOTHING wrong with this practice:
Especially as some people can make an ‘honest' mistake in selecting the right product:
And lets not forget, this is no different to a normal cashier checking any grocery item, where there are different priced options to make sure you’re being charged the correct price.

I know it seems like a big impost to many of you, but for me with PTSD and preferring not to have a chatty check out person, I'm still way happier with the self check out. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Hel
I don’t use them as a matter of principle. I find it insulting to request to look in your personal handbags. I know a lot of people hand your bag to you to search for something in it. Surely videos should identify potential theives!! and not an invasion of your privacy.
If they're always asking you, it's the size of your bag that's the issue. Happened to me decades ago and I asked why. If it's bigger than a loaf of bread, they have to ask.

The onus should be on the Store not the customer to identify the shoplifters. The stores are making massive profits so customers should not bear the brunt of the cost of shoplifters. I get fed up with this comment.
Isn't that exactly what they're doing?

This is terrible they don't trust us. Well l would the mushrooms in a clear bag and grab a paper bag and transfer after purchasing. At Coles large items have to be scanned by the staff.
Mine never have. There is a large item section where you can do it yourself and it never has to leave the trolley.

No they are suggesting shoppers are concealing item to avoid paying (shoplifting) and blaming the shopper when there are far less intrusive ways they can do it
Asking to look in a bag of mushrooms isn't intrusive. Fact is, people do this and then brag about it. If you haven't nicked it, what's the problem?

My incident happened at Coles.
I made my selection of 12 products & got to the self serve register & started scanning & discovered the check out chick standing right behind me looking over my shoulder.
I asked her if I could help her & is there a problem. Her reply was no, just making sure you’re scanning the items properly & you don’t miss scanning anything.
My response to her was, I do know how to scan on these machines, I’m an ex checkout chick, she then said to me, besides you dress funny (I’m dressed in jeans, tshirt, mussed up hair & sandals with a shoulder bag, plus bought my own shopping bag).
This same girl does the “looking over my shoulder” everyone I go through self serve. I often now go through the regular checkouts.

If they're always asking you, it's the size of your bag that's the issue. Happened to me decades ago and I asked why. If it's bigger than a loaf of bread, they have to ask.
If it's bigger than a loaf of bread, they have to ask you.

Where in the HELL (pun intended) did you get that notion from? I have never heard of such a crock of s**t in my life! If some pimply teenage shop assistant tries that stunt on me, I would make headlines across the country. For good OR bad reasons. I will let you think that over.

Reactions: Johnnie boy
If it's bigger than a loaf of bread, they have to ask you.

Where in the HELL (pun intended) did you get that notion from? I have never heard of such a crock of s**t in my life! If some pimply teenage shop assistant tries that stunt on me, I would make headlines across the country. For good or bad reasons. I will let you think that over.
I was told that by a checkout operator back in the 90's. I don't care what stupid shit you do.

She was a grown woman - talk about assumptions
Talk about the assumption that a store policy is dictated by law. It is not. Unfortunately, people have this idea that a retailer is a law unto themselves. They cannot tell you OR me what to do, only advise you on what to do, how to conduct oneself IN their store, etc.

If you refuse to agree to a bag search, that is the customer's right. The only person who can ban you from entering the premises is a police officer, not shop staff.

Reactions: Johnnie boy
It's a choice to be patient and wait, if necessary, for a Human who has a job, to check yours items through or go to self-serve 😉 and Yes bloodyvannoyingvto be ASSUMED a thief!