Woolworths is changing the way we use self-checkout registers - customers are split on whether they like the new feature

We all know the feeling. You're strolling through the supermarket, minding your own business, when all of a sudden you see it. A new feature that you've never seen before. It could be a new type of product, a new trolley function, or a new way to package chicken.

And of course, with changes comes confusion about how this new feature works.

Just take a look at this new Woolworths self-serve checkout feature, which left some customers scratching their heads.

One shopper has taken to social media to share a new detail about his local store.

Sharing a video of the feature on TikTok, the customer claimed that the brand-new registers now had 'double' bagging sections.

Credit: TikTok/@2fast

The clip showed two new, enormous self-serve registers, with extra packing space that allows shoppers to bag their groceries after they have been scanned.

With the new registers, Woolworths customers can now easily and quickly move a trolley full of goods through the self-serve checkout.

The video elicited conflicting responses from customers, who weren't sure whether to be impressed by the new feature or to cast doubt on it.

4NFQYzE5o5RYi6URZNWTCuEJmtMWPA9NKsq2Z2mwuNVFQpP9gUq2c95Tls9IWhaHjdcJBTF5TBYtaV-kFyxRoz0o-1y_Hhx8w7kjS-c4kEGFFk4FAJsRTSdFeIj_SfssfRerDjot0TaSVqtwJoBO4He6zLIfoBxkKvNDTe6BcH_IdkwiOUADRl45

The new feature allows shoppers to easily and quickly move a trolley full of goods through the self-serve checkout. Credit: TikTok/@2fast.

While some customers said that they were excited with the 'roomier' new registers, others expressed their sentiments about wanting more manned checkouts, especially for larger purchases.

One asked: 'Do we get a staff discount since we do it ourselves?'

'I do not use self-checkout unless they give me a discount for serving myself,' another wrote.

A third said: 'Don’t care, don’t use them. Quite happy to wait for a staff member to serve me. Keep using these and there will be no staff members.'

Meanwhile, a Woolworths representative confirmed that the supermarket giant is rolling out this new feature across its stores, pointing out that the larger self-serve checkout registers offer a practical option for customers.

The spokesperson explained: 'We’re always cooking up new and better ways to give our customers the most convenient shopping experience, upping our game with larger self-service checkouts is just one of them.'

It's incredible how a small change can cause such a strong response from people, but that's the power of novelty. It's an opportunity to experience something new and diverge from the routine of our daily lives.

We’re excited to try out the new, roomier checkouts.

Do you think this new feature looks handy for shoppers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I do use self serve checkouts when I only have a few groceries and lines at manned registers are long.

These new registers look like they will hold alot but will only hold 4 bags, the other ones you were lucky to fit 2 bags .

At first I thought oh self serve will get rid of jobs but they don't, both Coles and woolworths are looking for staff and if it wasn't for self serve checkouts then lines would be huge and customers complaining .

I wished Aldi had self serve checkouts

We all know the feeling. You're strolling through the supermarket, minding your own business, when all of a sudden you see it. A new feature that you've never seen before. It could be a new type of product, a new trolley function, or a new way to package chicken.

Just take a look at this new Woolworths self-serve checkout feature, which left some customers scratching their heads.

One shopper has taken to social media to share a new detail about his local store.

Sharing a video of the feature on TikTok, the customer claimed that the brand-new registers now had 'double' bagging sections.

The clip showed two new, enormous self-serve registers, with extra packing space that allows shoppers to bag their groceries after they have been scanned.

With the new registers, Woolworths customers can now easily and quickly move a trolley full of goods through the self-serve checkout.

The video elicited conflicting responses from customers, who weren't sure whether to be impressed by the new feature or to cast doubt on it.

4NFQYzE5o5RYi6URZNWTCuEJmtMWPA9NKsq2Z2mwuNVFQpP9gUq2c95Tls9IWhaHjdcJBTF5TBYtaV-kFyxRoz0o-1y_Hhx8w7kjS-c4kEGFFk4FAJsRTSdFeIj_SfssfRerDjot0TaSVqtwJoBO4He6zLIfoBxkKvNDTe6BcH_IdkwiOUADRl45

The new feature allows shoppers to easily and quickly move a trolley full of goods through the self-serve checkout. Credit: TikTok/@2fast.

While some customers said that they were excited with the 'roomier' new registers, others expressed their sentiments about wanting more manned checkouts, especially for larger purchases.

'I do not use self-checkout unless they give me a discount for serving myself,' another wrote.

A third said: 'Don’t care, don’t use them. Quite happy to wait for a staff member to serve me. Keep using these and there will be no staff members.'

Meanwhile, a Woolworths representative confirmed that the supermarket giant is rolling out this new feature across its stores, pointing out that the larger self-serve checkout registers offer a practical option for customers.

The spokesperson explained: 'We’re always cooking up new and better ways to give our customers the most convenient shopping experience, upping our game with larger self-service checkouts is just one of them.'

It's incredible how a small change can cause such a strong response from people, but that's the power of novelty. It's an opportunity to experience something new and diverge from the routine of our daily lives.

Do you think this new feature looks handy for shoppers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Self serve is good for a few items. I WILL NOT scan a whole groceries trolley full..I am not receiving a discount on the end of my bill. Trust me this will only encourage theft. It's time consuming and taking someone's job away. I am not impressed.

Good morning everyone,
Personally I don’t use the self-serve registers, because if we do use them, we are putting another young person out of a job.
Anytime you go into Coles or Woolworths stores you usually find only 1 checkout open, because they want us to do our own. We are quite within our rights to ask for a checkout to be opened.
Our unemployment rate is growing tremendously and will continue to rise if we allow this type of thing to continue. The customers have to take a stand, and go elsewhere that do provide a service.

I do not use self serve. I much rather get served by a staff member. It is much more personal. I also don't want young people to lose jobs. It gets them a bit of pocket money for their expenses, I still recall my first job at a supermarket when I was 17. It was packing at the checkout. We used to use paper bags in those days. The advise a customer gave me on my first day, just remember not to put eggs at the bottom of the bag, put heavy things at the bottom and you will be right. And I recall carrying grocery bags for elderly to their home, They would give me a dollar to do that and they would tell me "it is for you, not the store". Such positive memories.

Don’t whinge about doing it yourself, use a manned checkout!!

Ii had to use a self serve checkout last week, no staff on the registers, not impressed. Much rather see someone employed to get me through the checkout. So impersonal and what about all the young people who get their first jobs by working in the supermarkets.:(

I also don't use them. Aldi is a discount supermarket and they have someone scan my groceries. If Coles and Woolies want you to use self serve, they should give a discount for doing so. If I am paying full price I want full service.

I wont use them on principle, where are young people going to get jobs if they are done away with. Shame Woolworths shame on doing people out of jobs whilst keeping prices high and making multi million dollar profits.

I like the idea of a bigger bagging area, but that will lead to larger self-serve shops and less use of check-out staff, which is not a good thing. It becomes less personal and less enjoyable. Can also be less efficient and therefore, more time consuming. Lines get longer.