Woolworths is changing the way we use self-checkout registers - customers are split on whether they like the new feature

We all know the feeling. You're strolling through the supermarket, minding your own business, when all of a sudden you see it. A new feature that you've never seen before. It could be a new type of product, a new trolley function, or a new way to package chicken.

And of course, with changes comes confusion about how this new feature works.

Just take a look at this new Woolworths self-serve checkout feature, which left some customers scratching their heads.

One shopper has taken to social media to share a new detail about his local store.

Sharing a video of the feature on TikTok, the customer claimed that the brand-new registers now had 'double' bagging sections.

Credit: TikTok/@2fast

The clip showed two new, enormous self-serve registers, with extra packing space that allows shoppers to bag their groceries after they have been scanned.

With the new registers, Woolworths customers can now easily and quickly move a trolley full of goods through the self-serve checkout.

The video elicited conflicting responses from customers, who weren't sure whether to be impressed by the new feature or to cast doubt on it.

4NFQYzE5o5RYi6URZNWTCuEJmtMWPA9NKsq2Z2mwuNVFQpP9gUq2c95Tls9IWhaHjdcJBTF5TBYtaV-kFyxRoz0o-1y_Hhx8w7kjS-c4kEGFFk4FAJsRTSdFeIj_SfssfRerDjot0TaSVqtwJoBO4He6zLIfoBxkKvNDTe6BcH_IdkwiOUADRl45

The new feature allows shoppers to easily and quickly move a trolley full of goods through the self-serve checkout. Credit: TikTok/@2fast.

While some customers said that they were excited with the 'roomier' new registers, others expressed their sentiments about wanting more manned checkouts, especially for larger purchases.

One asked: 'Do we get a staff discount since we do it ourselves?'

'I do not use self-checkout unless they give me a discount for serving myself,' another wrote.

A third said: 'Don’t care, don’t use them. Quite happy to wait for a staff member to serve me. Keep using these and there will be no staff members.'

Meanwhile, a Woolworths representative confirmed that the supermarket giant is rolling out this new feature across its stores, pointing out that the larger self-serve checkout registers offer a practical option for customers.

The spokesperson explained: 'We’re always cooking up new and better ways to give our customers the most convenient shopping experience, upping our game with larger self-service checkouts is just one of them.'

It's incredible how a small change can cause such a strong response from people, but that's the power of novelty. It's an opportunity to experience something new and diverge from the routine of our daily lives.

We’re excited to try out the new, roomier checkouts.

Do you think this new feature looks handy for shoppers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
We all know the feeling. You're strolling through the supermarket, minding your own business, when all of a sudden you see it. A new feature that you've never seen before. It could be a new type of product, a new trolley function, or a new way to package chicken.

Just take a look at this new Woolworths self-serve checkout feature, which left some customers scratching their heads.

One shopper has taken to social media to share a new detail about his local store.

Sharing a video of the feature on TikTok, the customer claimed that the brand-new registers now had 'double' bagging sections.

The clip showed two new, enormous self-serve registers, with extra packing space that allows shoppers to bag their groceries after they have been scanned.

With the new registers, Woolworths customers can now easily and quickly move a trolley full of goods through the self-serve checkout.

The video elicited conflicting responses from customers, who weren't sure whether to be impressed by the new feature or to cast doubt on it.

4NFQYzE5o5RYi6URZNWTCuEJmtMWPA9NKsq2Z2mwuNVFQpP9gUq2c95Tls9IWhaHjdcJBTF5TBYtaV-kFyxRoz0o-1y_Hhx8w7kjS-c4kEGFFk4FAJsRTSdFeIj_SfssfRerDjot0TaSVqtwJoBO4He6zLIfoBxkKvNDTe6BcH_IdkwiOUADRl45

The new feature allows shoppers to easily and quickly move a trolley full of goods through the self-serve checkout. Credit: TikTok/@2fast.

While some customers said that they were excited with the 'roomier' new registers, others expressed their sentiments about wanting more manned checkouts, especially for larger purchases.

'I do not use self-checkout unless they give me a discount for serving myself,' another wrote.

A third said: 'Don’t care, don’t use them. Quite happy to wait for a staff member to serve me. Keep using these and there will be no staff members.'

Meanwhile, a Woolworths representative confirmed that the supermarket giant is rolling out this new feature across its stores, pointing out that the larger self-serve checkout registers offer a practical option for customers.

The spokesperson explained: 'We’re always cooking up new and better ways to give our customers the most convenient shopping experience, upping our game with larger self-service checkouts is just one of them.'

It's incredible how a small change can cause such a strong response from people, but that's the power of novelty. It's an opportunity to experience something new and diverge from the routine of our daily lives.

Do you think this new feature looks handy for shoppers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

I’m a grumpy old man. Those self checkouts make me even grumpier. Save the checkout jobs and only use the operated checkout

Supermarkets can make the self checkouts as large or as small as they like, but I won't use them. Customers are not employed by them. Get rid of self serve and give the check out jobs to people. Much nicer experience for the customer.

Ii had to use a self serve checkout last week, no staff on the registers, not impressed. Much rather see someone employed to get me through the checkout. So impersonal and what about all the young people who get their first jobs by working in the supermarkets.:(
Simple solution - leave your trolley at the front and walk out

Reactions: Ricci

I refuse to use them. Give me a human any day

It’s fine… we live and with changes and see changes all the time. It makes our grey matter tick n helps us slow down ageing😉. Just embracing technology and this improved change also helps when people don’t turn up for work😉

I prefer to be served by a staff member, but only if they are mature-aged women. Many young staff members are surly and cannot pack properly. Yesterday the young girl serving me packed crumpets on the bottom and proceeded to pack tins of soup on top of them! I would rather do it myself.

Really dislike the scanning technology errors on self check-outs. Usually with Woolworths meat packs with an array of scanning issues. The staff member who is manning the self serve always asks me if I want help! Who are they kidding!
If I have more than a few items in my trolley and finished, I put the items back in the trolley and pack them in my bags at the car. So much quicker than juggling those bags with the machine over and over yelling 'don't forget your items'

Yet you are quite able to serve yourself fuel at the servo!
Only under sufferance, if there was a forecourt person option I wouldn't be doing it. I think it was a sad day when petrol stations did away with forecourt people, it was a much more welcoming, friendlier experience.;)

Reactions: Joy Rush