Woolworths fined for selling stale fare, leaving customers feeling sour!

As we age, our health becomes an ever-increasing priority, and one of the cornerstones of maintaining good health is ensuring we have access to fresh, safe food.

That's why recent news from one of Australia's leading supermarkets has raised concerns among shoppers, especially those who frequent Woolworths for their weekly groceries.

Woolworths, a household name and a staple in many of our shopping routines, was slapped with a significant fine after a breach of food safety standards was discovered at its Seven Hills store in Sydney.

The New South Wales Government's Food Authority has taken action against the supermarket giant, issuing a penalty notice for $1,320 due to the sale of out-of-date food items.

compressed-shutterstock_1559323310.jpeg
Woolworths was fined $1,320 for selling food past its use-by date at its Seven Hills store in Sydney. Credits: Shutterstock

The incident, which occurred on December 19, 2023, was a serious misstep for the retailer, with the offence description listed as 'Sell food that is unsuitable—Corporation', while the nature of the offence was specifically related to the sale of food past its use-by date.

While the NSW Food Authority did not disclose the types of expired products involved, the penalty notice—published online on March 5, 2024 by Blacktown City Council—certainly caused a stir among consumers who trust Woolworths with their food safety.

In response to the incident, a Woolworths spokesperson expressed the company's disappointment and its commitment to food safety, stating that the fine imposed was already paid.

‘We take food safety very seriously and were disappointed to receive this feedback at our Seven Hills store,’ they stated.

‘The store was checked and steps were taken to rectify the issue immediately. Follow up visits occurred from our food safety team in the days following the report with no additional finds.’

‘We accepted the Food Premise Assessment Report, alongside the fine from Blacktown City Council which we paid promptly,’ they added.

It’s reported that food safety checks are a routine procedure at all major supermarkets across the country, and Woolworths is no exception.

As Woolworths faced fines for selling expired food items, highlighting concerns over food safety practices in retail outlets, a similar narrative unfolded in the hospitality sector.

A Sydney restaurant's significant penalties for unsafe food handling practices underscore the importance of stringent regulations and compliance across the entire food industry.

These incidents serve as poignant reminders of the critical need for vigilance in ensuring the safety and quality of food products, whether in supermarkets or dining establishments, to protect consumers from potential health risks.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket was fined $1,320 for selling out of date food at its Seven Hills store in Sydney.
  • The NSW Food Authority's penalty notice described the offence as the 'sale of food past its use-by date'.
  • Woolworths responded by saying it takes food safety seriously, has paid the fine, and that steps were taken to rectify the issue immediately.
  • Routine food safety checks are carried out at all major supermarkets across Australia.
Have you ever encountered out-of-date products at your local supermarket? How did you handle the situation? Let us know your stories and advice in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
As if it would hurt or make Woolworth think again about selling out of date food.
The miserable, unjustifiable, and laughable fine of just $1,320 dollars is like a drop in the ocean for them and definitely not issued as a deterrent.
A real bloody joke.

In our local Woolworths I have taken home bags of oranges only to find 2 were rotten, cucumber with a very soft section on the way out and their carrots have more wrinkles than I do!

Reactions: wendell and what
I can’t understand how the product was scanned at the checkout. I have presented food that was past the use by date and it wouldn’t scan so the operator put it to one side.

Reactions: what
Yes, I regularly see them load through freezers and shelves putting new stock in front of existing stock.
Correct. But that is the fault of the shelves restocker (AND THE PERSON IN CHARGE FOR FAILING ON HIS/HERS JOB) who has not been trained properly to move the close to date up the front and the new ones out the back of the shelves.
It happened to me once when I was at Woolworths (A long time ago as I haven't been near their supermarkets since the Australia Day flop/debacle of their CEO), that I spotted 2 rotten pieces of fruit and a couple on the tomatoes shelves and I showed that to a fruit packer near there. I told her that I cannot throw those fruits in the scrap bin and for her to do it. She didn't. instead she went looking for a Supervisor to come there and for the supervisor to give her the authority to discard those rotten fruits into the bin near there.
Is that how the business is run when an employee has to go and look for a Supervisor and get her permission, after an inspection has taken place, to discard those perished and unsellable goods.??

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
In our local Woolworths I have taken home bags of oranges only to find 2 were rotten, cucumber with a very soft section on the way out and their carrots have more wrinkles than I do!
then go back to the store and take up their offer of satisfaction or money back. Make sure you have the receipt to back when you purchased said produce.

Reactions: Annna
Well, I encountered a relatively new checkout lady recently who actually LOOKED at the expiry date of the item I wished to purchase. Granted, it was ONE DAY over the expiry date but was she going to give it to me for free (after thinking about it)??? No way Jose - she called on one of the girls and naturally, this item was removed and the explanation of being fined if they sold expired product was explained to me. Very disappointed customer here as I really wanted to try this meat product ..... 😣

Correct. But that is the fault of the shelves restocker (AND THE PERSON IN CHARGE FOR FAILING ON HIS/HERS JOB) who has not been trained properly to move the close to date up the front and the new ones out the back of the shelves.
It happened to me once when I was at Woolworths (A long time ago as I haven't been near their supermarkets since the Australia Day flop/debacle of their CEO), that I spotted 2 rotten pieces of fruit and a couple on the tomatoes shelves and I showed that to a fruit packer near there. I told her that I cannot throw those fruits in the scrap bin and for her to do it. She didn't. instead she went looking for a Supervisor to come there and for the supervisor to give her the authority to discard those rotten fruits into the bin near there.
Is that how the business is run when an employee has to go and look for a Supervisor and get her permission, after an inspection has taken place, to discard those perished and unsellable goods.??
I've seen plenty of examples of fruit being thrown by the staff stacking produce. Maybe a new staff member doesn't know what to do, but certainly don't need 'authority' from a supervisor to cull over ripe produce. Most produce in big supermarkets doesn't sit for weeks on end, they are ditched.

As the article doesn't say if it was an expired use by or a best before date, the area is very grey. Use by cannot be sold by law, however best before is an open answer. Like so many laws in this country, no uniformity. Bread is the best example of this, the label will potentially say date it was baked and then a best before date applies. Similar with fresh produce, not actual expiry date, it's the appearance that determines the best before date it's not an expiry date.

And yet people find these foods acceptable and several cheap shops have managed to feed those less able to afford supermarket prices. It’s use by date or best before dates

Reactions: Littleboy8
I recently went to woolies and found the strawberries to be covered in mould. They usually only last 2 days or so when you get them home anyway. Not the fresh food people

Unfortunately, the cost of this fine will only add to more price gouging to cover the cost. The customers always pay for these mistakes, not WW the ripoff people.