Woolworths customers are fuming over this 'constant' issue – do you agree?

Like any other bargain hunters, we Seniors Discount Club members get giddy whenever Woolworths announces that it will be discounting some of our favourites and most often purchased items in the store.

But it seems like not everyone is as thrilled as us whenever the supermarket giant announces its latest moves. In fact, many shoppers are downright angry – and for good reason!

You see, in order to keep costs low and remain competitive in this current market, Woolies have been forced to make a change that's rubbing customers the wrong way.

Instead of fully staffing their checkouts like they used to, the supermarket is now relying heavily on self-serve technology – meaning there are often long queues with only a few manned checkouts open.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.19.17 PM.png
A man from Queensland went to Facebook to complain about the long line at his local Woolworths store. Credit: Facebook.

One Queensland man took to Facebook recently to vent his frustrations.

Standing in a long line at the Kippa-Ring store, he snapped a photo of the scene and shared it on Woolworths' page with an angry message attached.

'Just your average Sunday afternoon at Kippa-Ring, standing in a queue because you insist automation is the answer,' he wrote in his post on social media.

He mentioned that Woolworths had just posted record profits yet was still skimping on manpower during their busiest times. 'Just put a 15-year-old on already!' he demanded.

The man then went on to criticise the lack of competition in the Australian supermarket space before informing Woolies that he would be taking his business to a soon-to-be-opened IGA from now on.

'I wish there was more competition in Australian groceries,' he said. 'I've just come back from the UK on holiday, and not only was it cheaper, but it was also so much better. Can't wait for our new IGA to be open next week. Every chance I get to avoid this particular Woolworths going forward, I will take it. This is a constant issue, and I've raised it before.'

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.19.04 PM.png
Supermarkets are encouraging customers to use self-serve checkouts. Credit: Getty. (Stock photo)

Reactions to the post were mixed, with some shoppers from Queensland saying they've had the same experience at their local store, while others from the UK denied the man's claims that queues were shorter there, placing the blame on the customer instead.

'Had the same issue at our local Woolies yesterday,' one woman said in the comments section, adding: 'Only ever one register open at their busiest times, it seems.'

'This is pretty standard on a weekend, and shock horror, we pack our own bags too,' wrote one UK resident, while another commented, 'Automation is the answer if you're not too feckless to work out how to use it.'

When self-checkout technology was first introduced more than a decade ago, most of the other registers were still staffed. This gave customers the freedom to check out in whatever way was most convenient for them.

But recently, though, there seems to be a trend of supermarkets intentionally not having enough people at checkouts to encourage customers to use self-service – this has led to a growing number of customer complaints on social media.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.18.59 PM.png
Woolworths reminded customers that if they wanted to use the manned checkouts, they could do so at any time. Credit: iTnews.

Speaking to a news source, a Woolies representative confirmed that the company acknowledged the complaint about the Kippa-Ring store and reassured customers that there are always people working at the checkouts if they want to use them.

'We're aware of the customer's social media feedback and have passed that onto our Kippa-Ring operations team,' the spokesperson said.

'Customers can always expect service at our manned checkouts and are encouraged to speak with their friendly local store team directly should they have any questions.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has taken to Facebook to complain about the long queues caused by a lack of checkout staff at his local store.
  • The customer blamed the increase in self-serve checkouts for the queues and said that he would be avoiding the store in future.
  • Reactions to the post were mixed, with some fellow shoppers agreeing while others argued that the situation always depends on the location and customers.
What do you think, folks? Do you agree that supermarkets need to reopen more manned checkouts in their stores? Or should customers get used to the growing number of self-service checkouts? Please share your opinions with us in the comments section!

Sponsored
Like any other bargain hunters, we Seniors Discount Club members get giddy whenever Woolworths announces that it will be discounting some of our favourites and most often purchased items in the store.

But it seems like not everyone is as thrilled as us whenever the supermarket giant announces its latest moves. In fact, many shoppers are downright angry – and for good reason!

You see, in order to keep costs low and remain competitive in this current market, Woolies have been forced to make a change that's rubbing customers the wrong way.

Instead of fully staffing their checkouts like they used to, the supermarket is now relying heavily on self-serve technology – meaning there are often long queues with only a few manned checkouts open.

View attachment 7920
A man from Queensland went to Facebook to complain about the long line at his local Woolworths store. Credit: Facebook.

Standing in a long line at the Kippa-Ring store, he snapped a photo of the scene and shared it on Woolworths' page with an angry message attached.

'Just your average Sunday afternoon at Kippa-Ring, standing in a queue because you insist automation is the answer,' he wrote in his post on social media.

He mentioned that Woolworths had just posted record profits yet was still skimping on manpower during their busiest times. 'Just put a 15-year-old on already!' he demanded.

The man then went on to criticise the lack of competition in the Australian supermarket space before informing Woolies that he would be taking his business to a soon-to-be-opened IGA from now on.

'I wish there was more competition in Australian groceries,' he said. 'I've just come back from the UK on holiday, and not only was it cheaper, but it was also so much better. Can't wait for our new IGA to be open next week. Every chance I get to avoid this particular Woolworths going forward, I will take it. This is a constant issue, and I've raised it before.'

View attachment 7921
Supermarkets are encouraging customers to use self-serve checkouts. Credit: Getty. (Stock photo)

Reactions to the post were mixed, with some shoppers from Queensland saying they've had the same experience at their local store, while others from the UK denied the man's claims that queues were shorter there, placing the blame on the customer instead.

'Had the same issue at our local Woolies yesterday,' one woman said in the comments section, adding: 'Only ever one register open at their busiest times, it seems.'

'This is pretty standard on a weekend, and shock horror, we pack our own bags too,' wrote one UK resident, while another commented, 'Automation is the answer if you're not too feckless to work out how to use it.'

When self-checkout technology was first introduced more than a decade ago, most of the other registers were still staffed. This gave customers the freedom to check out in whatever way was most convenient for them.

But recently, though, there seems to be a trend of supermarkets intentionally not having enough people at checkouts to encourage customers to use self-service – this has led to a growing number of customer complaints on social media.

View attachment 7922
Woolworths reminded customers that if they wanted to use the manned checkouts, they could do so at any time. Credit: iTnews.

Speaking to a news source, a Woolies representative confirmed that the company acknowledged the complaint about the Kippa-Ring store and reassured customers that there are always people working at the checkouts if they want to use them.

'We're aware of the customer's social media feedback and have passed that onto our Kippa-Ring operations team,' the spokesperson said.

'Customers can always expect service at our manned checkouts and are encouraged to speak with their friendly local store team directly should they have any questions.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has taken to Facebook to complain about the long queues caused by a lack of checkout staff at his local store.
  • The customer blamed the increase in self-serve checkouts for the queues and said that he would be avoiding the store in future.
  • Reactions to the post were mixed, with some fellow shoppers agreeing while others argued that the situation always depends on the location and customers.
What do you think, folks? Do you agree that supermarkets need to reopen more manned checkouts in their stores? Or should customers get used to the growing number of self-service checkouts? Please share your opinions with us in the comments section!
Self service checkouts are an insult to Woolworths customers! It seems the stores don't consider customers worthy of a checkout chick to serve them!

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I agree . If I'm going to use the self checkouts I should get a substantial discount for doing so.

If there’s no manned checkout available and they’re not willing to open one to put my groceries through, I would abandon my trolley and then a staff member would have to put everything back, which would take longer. It’s in their interests to provide more manned checkouts.

Sometimes it feels like I’m shopping at Aldi. Long queues and only one person serving. I much prefer to scan my own items, hardly any waiting.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I decided to vote with my Feet, if I cannot get served in a timely manner I leave my trolley where it is and walk out. that leaves them with the problem of putting it all back (manpower) if more People would do that the Management would soon wake up.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I hate going to the do it yourself, nothing nicer than being greeted by a lovely assistant, shame on Woolworths for not putting more staff on, one or two on the tills is not enough, you can afford it.

One Solution...
Leave your (full) trolley at the self serve queue and WALK OUT!!
They'll soon learn to put more staff on, once it starts costing THEM money

you would think by now that they would get the hint most shoppers dont like self serve I hate them

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

Your quote "'Customers can always expect service at our manned checkouts" is all well and good but, If the "manned" checkouts are not "manned" how does the customer get the store to actually "man" them? Does one just stand at an "un-manned" checkout until management finally decides the lines aren't flowing? When Supermarkets offer a 10% discount on all items in a customer's trolley then, maybe, the customers may choose to self-serve. After all, the customers are not employees and don't get paid to do the Supermarkets' work.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

you would think by now that they would get the hint most shoppers dont like self serve I hate them
I go to my local Woollies on Bribie Island at 7am I have done since COVID I do a fortnightly shop so my trolley is full and I have complained many times about no till being open in fact i have to go with my trolley
through the quick checkout which I find very exhausting I am 77 years old and living with Parkinsons so I find this very stressful but when I ask for a till to be open they just shrug their shoulders and say use the
quick checkout

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I refuse to go through the automated check out , and if they won’t open a manned register I push my trolley to one side and walk out, I have been told in two major stores that the would not be opening a register for me. Goodbye 👋

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

Yes they should then customers have a choice. Wait till someone takes them to court for shoulder ,wrist and back Complaints

Unfortunately, not only supermarkets are using self-service streaming to keep costs low. Banks are also doing so even though most often some of their automatic banking machines are out of service. We have been trained for the last 10 years or so to go it alone in the areas of customer service. Ha! thus seeing less staff being employed - to our detriment. No extra staff to cope with the above which shows disrespect to customers even though the business makes big bucks! But I suppose CEO's and the like need the $$$$$, more than the customers waiting in queques and anxious to go about their business. This is inconsequential obviously.

Went shopping in Woolies picked up two Fry Pans it was on special as tickets said half price got to the checkout put though only to find out full price tryed to get money back only to be told go and spend the price in in the store not happy should have refunded my money the cost of the two Fry Pans was $100 l am only on the pension the only reason I picked it up because it was half price then to be told go and spend the money in the store have not bought from them again
This is classed as a scan error...Woolworths have a scan code practise...whereby when an item scans higher than the shelf price,then you are entitled to get that product FREE !!...Contact Woolworths head office

Went shopping in Woolies picked up two Fry Pans it was on special as tickets said half price got to the checkout put though only to find out full price tryed to get money back only to be told go and spend the price in in the store not happy should have refunded my money the cost of the two Fry Pans was $100 l am only on the pension the only reason I picked it up because it was half price then to be told go and spend the money in the store have not bought from them again

Several times when faced with long checkout queues or forced to use self-checkouts, I have simply walked out, leaving my trolley full of goods behind and visited a less crowded supermarket in the same shopping centre instead. Woolworths would have had to throw out some of the goods in my trolley, BBQ chooks and frozen goods so it is costing them money.

Can the store legally tell you to do this? A refund is definitely what should have been received by you.

What a shame they didn't advertise that if the retailer makes a mistake you are entitled to double your money back!!! That would cause a back-flip l bet!

I can see the argument by not having registers open on a weekend is to avoid paying Penalty Rates. This does not make the practice correct as l thought before reading the same further on, a struggling customer needs to wait for assistance or soldier on thereby holding up other shoppers. Common sense should tell stores that if they must persist with self serve weekends & other busy periods are not the time to do so!!!

My local Bunnings store has self serves but normally with a staff member floating around. They have, sadly adopted the same principle of opening just 3 other check-outs at the Front End. One in the Tool Shop, one near the self-serve & the other is the poor old Service Desk ( possibly a teaching point ), where staff regularly come up against a product they do not know how to put through, such as 100 x100 mm wall tiles. These are actually 98 x98 mm & need to be punched into the till, no code to scan here.

In the past at a grocery store l have seen a person being trained in the art of putting products through a check-out with the register closed off & a trolley load of goods to be put through. Does this still happen?

Ever heard the ditty, "Why am l waiting". Could be a good line to verbal loud enough to be heard by senior staff next time you are waiting in a queue to have shopping processed on a weekend when the only check-outs open are the self serve. I usually get an elbow in the ribs for doing this, but hey, who knows it may even catch on if enough of us start chanting it. Leaving a trolley load of shopping behind & starting a verbal protest may see some action.

Just a last thought, what if people collectively went shopping in a store where self-serve was the only option because only one check-out was open, filled their trolley & then walked out at the front end? Do you think people doing this en- mass would be a hint to these stores? We don't want self-serve!!!