Woolworths customers are fuming over this 'constant' issue – do you agree?

Like any other bargain hunters, we Seniors Discount Club members get giddy whenever Woolworths announces that it will be discounting some of our favourites and most often purchased items in the store.

But it seems like not everyone is as thrilled as us whenever the supermarket giant announces its latest moves. In fact, many shoppers are downright angry – and for good reason!

You see, in order to keep costs low and remain competitive in this current market, Woolies have been forced to make a change that's rubbing customers the wrong way.

Instead of fully staffing their checkouts like they used to, the supermarket is now relying heavily on self-serve technology – meaning there are often long queues with only a few manned checkouts open.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.19.17 PM.png
A man from Queensland went to Facebook to complain about the long line at his local Woolworths store. Credit: Facebook.

One Queensland man took to Facebook recently to vent his frustrations.

Standing in a long line at the Kippa-Ring store, he snapped a photo of the scene and shared it on Woolworths' page with an angry message attached.

'Just your average Sunday afternoon at Kippa-Ring, standing in a queue because you insist automation is the answer,' he wrote in his post on social media.

He mentioned that Woolworths had just posted record profits yet was still skimping on manpower during their busiest times. 'Just put a 15-year-old on already!' he demanded.

The man then went on to criticise the lack of competition in the Australian supermarket space before informing Woolies that he would be taking his business to a soon-to-be-opened IGA from now on.

'I wish there was more competition in Australian groceries,' he said. 'I've just come back from the UK on holiday, and not only was it cheaper, but it was also so much better. Can't wait for our new IGA to be open next week. Every chance I get to avoid this particular Woolworths going forward, I will take it. This is a constant issue, and I've raised it before.'

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.19.04 PM.png
Supermarkets are encouraging customers to use self-serve checkouts. Credit: Getty. (Stock photo)

Reactions to the post were mixed, with some shoppers from Queensland saying they've had the same experience at their local store, while others from the UK denied the man's claims that queues were shorter there, placing the blame on the customer instead.

'Had the same issue at our local Woolies yesterday,' one woman said in the comments section, adding: 'Only ever one register open at their busiest times, it seems.'

'This is pretty standard on a weekend, and shock horror, we pack our own bags too,' wrote one UK resident, while another commented, 'Automation is the answer if you're not too feckless to work out how to use it.'

When self-checkout technology was first introduced more than a decade ago, most of the other registers were still staffed. This gave customers the freedom to check out in whatever way was most convenient for them.

But recently, though, there seems to be a trend of supermarkets intentionally not having enough people at checkouts to encourage customers to use self-service – this has led to a growing number of customer complaints on social media.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 2.18.59 PM.png
Woolworths reminded customers that if they wanted to use the manned checkouts, they could do so at any time. Credit: iTnews.

Speaking to a news source, a Woolies representative confirmed that the company acknowledged the complaint about the Kippa-Ring store and reassured customers that there are always people working at the checkouts if they want to use them.

'We're aware of the customer's social media feedback and have passed that onto our Kippa-Ring operations team,' the spokesperson said.

'Customers can always expect service at our manned checkouts and are encouraged to speak with their friendly local store team directly should they have any questions.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has taken to Facebook to complain about the long queues caused by a lack of checkout staff at his local store.
  • The customer blamed the increase in self-serve checkouts for the queues and said that he would be avoiding the store in future.
  • Reactions to the post were mixed, with some fellow shoppers agreeing while others argued that the situation always depends on the location and customers.
What do you think, folks? Do you agree that supermarkets need to reopen more manned checkouts in their stores? Or should customers get used to the growing number of self-service checkouts? Please share your opinions with us in the comments section!

Sponsored
Like any other bargain hunters, we Seniors Discount Club members get giddy whenever Woolworths announces that it will be discounting some of our favourites and most often purchased items in the store.

But it seems like not everyone is as thrilled as us whenever the supermarket giant announces its latest moves. In fact, many shoppers are downright angry – and for good reason!

You see, in order to keep costs low and remain competitive in this current market, Woolies have been forced to make a change that's rubbing customers the wrong way.

Instead of fully staffing their checkouts like they used to, the supermarket is now relying heavily on self-serve technology – meaning there are often long queues with only a few manned checkouts open.

View attachment 7920
A man from Queensland went to Facebook to complain about the long line at his local Woolworths store. Credit: Facebook.

Standing in a long line at the Kippa-Ring store, he snapped a photo of the scene and shared it on Woolworths' page with an angry message attached.

'Just your average Sunday afternoon at Kippa-Ring, standing in a queue because you insist automation is the answer,' he wrote in his post on social media.

He mentioned that Woolworths had just posted record profits yet was still skimping on manpower during their busiest times. 'Just put a 15-year-old on already!' he demanded.

The man then went on to criticise the lack of competition in the Australian supermarket space before informing Woolies that he would be taking his business to a soon-to-be-opened IGA from now on.

'I wish there was more competition in Australian groceries,' he said. 'I've just come back from the UK on holiday, and not only was it cheaper, but it was also so much better. Can't wait for our new IGA to be open next week. Every chance I get to avoid this particular Woolworths going forward, I will take it. This is a constant issue, and I've raised it before.'

View attachment 7921
Supermarkets are encouraging customers to use self-serve checkouts. Credit: Getty. (Stock photo)

Reactions to the post were mixed, with some shoppers from Queensland saying they've had the same experience at their local store, while others from the UK denied the man's claims that queues were shorter there, placing the blame on the customer instead.

'Had the same issue at our local Woolies yesterday,' one woman said in the comments section, adding: 'Only ever one register open at their busiest times, it seems.'

'This is pretty standard on a weekend, and shock horror, we pack our own bags too,' wrote one UK resident, while another commented, 'Automation is the answer if you're not too feckless to work out how to use it.'

When self-checkout technology was first introduced more than a decade ago, most of the other registers were still staffed. This gave customers the freedom to check out in whatever way was most convenient for them.

But recently, though, there seems to be a trend of supermarkets intentionally not having enough people at checkouts to encourage customers to use self-service – this has led to a growing number of customer complaints on social media.

View attachment 7922
Woolworths reminded customers that if they wanted to use the manned checkouts, they could do so at any time. Credit: iTnews.

Speaking to a news source, a Woolies representative confirmed that the company acknowledged the complaint about the Kippa-Ring store and reassured customers that there are always people working at the checkouts if they want to use them.

'We're aware of the customer's social media feedback and have passed that onto our Kippa-Ring operations team,' the spokesperson said.

'Customers can always expect service at our manned checkouts and are encouraged to speak with their friendly local store team directly should they have any questions.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has taken to Facebook to complain about the long queues caused by a lack of checkout staff at his local store.
  • The customer blamed the increase in self-serve checkouts for the queues and said that he would be avoiding the store in future.
  • Reactions to the post were mixed, with some fellow shoppers agreeing while others argued that the situation always depends on the location and customers.
What do you think, folks? Do you agree that supermarkets need to reopen more manned checkouts in their stores? Or should customers get used to the growing number of self-service checkouts? Please share your opinions with us in the comments section!
They should have an operator constantly checking the numbers of people waiting at the manned checkout and if there is more than 3 customers waiting immediately open another station immediately.
They say they care and a very happy to take our money so they should do this now.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I go to Aldi pack my groceries while the person puts it through and guess what my bill is cheaper than Woolworths and Coles go figure and yes Aldi has a lot of Australian products read the labels
Aldi much better option, cheaper and fast checkout.

The amount of checkouts, I see, is regulated by the amount of staff available! That is the business of the employer!
In my local, Rockhampton, most checkouts are closed during 'quiet' times, with only self serve checkouts operating. Yes it can be frustrating! My solution; I completely avoid the queues, checkouts, crowds and wonky trollies, by doing all my grocery shopping on-line. I only have to deal with the delivery driver! This works for me and makes my life a lot better!
As far as an individual complaining on social media is concerned, I say "phooey"! Too many people hide behind their keyboard to whinge and moan about their inconveniences rather than being proactive to find their own solutions.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

Most of the check out operators are now busy walking around the store filling on line orders, they can't simply drop what they are doing to open a register. There are cold and frozen products that need to be stored correctly as well as safely storing the dry goods in a store room. Also, please don't assume that all staff in the store are trained to use registers, as they are not. As for the OP heading off to the new IGA, me thinks he will have second thoughts when he sees the prices. Maybe allow an extra ten minutes of your shopping time to grab a magazine and flick through whilst waiting PATIENTLY in line.

Totally agree with this man it is the same at our Woolworth in Legana Tasmania I now find myself often shopping at IGA which is closer to me anyway and not a lot dearer

why don't the SUPERmarkets, created to make shopping and like faster and easier, do so buy considering the self-serve registers when used by we the customer a little discount gratuity FOR SELF SERVING????- I mean like maybe 2% discount on our tab for doing the job.???????
I like it

Reactions: Colette 3799

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I feel the same way as the customer you’ve mentioned. Woolworths at Leura in NSW and Coles at Winmalee do the same thing when I go at about 8am. There has only been self-serve offered but I’ve asked for someone to serve me on a checkout. I don’t agree with the self-serve anyway. Maybe for one or two things but not for a trolley full.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

Perhaps we should all just walk out the stores with our trolleys full. If asked you could respond with “ I thought you didn’t want my money as there was no one there to collect it!”

Just back from the fortnightly shop. Woolies only had one manned checkout open as is now the norm. I am in my 70’s & not going through self serve doing the work for Woolies! Agree too with the comment regarding staff blocking aisles filling shelves or busy completing click & collect orders. Will not shop online either because it costs me in delivery fee!

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

We are not concerned about any other country thanks very much mr UK only the LONG LINES here in Australia as we are concerned for the Aussie workers.... This garbage these supermarket giants are pulling is all about the PROFIT LINE nothing more, They dont give a shit about the public.... Just how much money they can suck out of them...

My main concern is job loss.

I do my main shop on line, I save time, no stress at the checkout , I know how much my shop will cost me before I pay which is great for those on a budget.

I pay using PayPal which is the best and safest way of paying for online shopping.

I have to say when I need to go in store I don't mind the new self serve, you have a counter and I find it doesn't tell you check your bag or remove item ect ect.

But if I was doing a large instore grocery shop I would want a manned checkout

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I just ask for another till to opened. I won’t use the self serve, I am not an employee and I do not receive a wage to work in the store. I pay the same for my groceries at either checkout. Serviced checkouts offer my groceries to be scanned and packed for me, making my shopping experience a lot nicer. If they want to pay me or offer a discount that might be an incentive to do all the work meanwhile putting another person out of work.

Reactions: Jaynius
I refuse to use self serve checkouts because I believe that it robs someone of a job. Young people, especially students , need the opportunity to work for an income.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

Since my wife and I moved to Tuncurry, we have found our local Woolworth's just don't seem to fill the shelves like the stores once used (some still do, but not Woolworth's), what is it that stops these stores from employing local kids to stock the shelves at closing time ready for the next days shopping. Mean and lean is this lot now days.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

would use the self checking if the customer was given a discount for not having service from the company. I would rather pay full price for paying a staff member than increasing the profits of the company.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

It makes it so difficult for those of us that cannot stand in line for long, I find it stressful also.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I agree that supermarkets introduce new measures to supposedly help us get through the store faster but sometimes this can be contrary.
I hate it when you line up at the first 12 items or less to checkout & staff have to serve the cigarette enquiry counter first surely they can get someone to man this counter without impacting on the queues for groceries.

View attachment 7920

View attachment 7921

View attachment 7922

Key Takeaways

I totally agree. The staffed checkouts should remain a viable alternative for customers.