Woolies customer asks if his months-old beef buy is still safe to eat – what do you think?

One Woolworths customer has divided the opinions of fellow shoppers online when he posted a photo of a frozen packet of beef mince.

“I froze this beef in November the day I purchased [it],” said Rob in his Facebook post, along with a photo of his Woolies beef buy that has changed in colour – from red to a light brown shade.

“Is this still OK to eat or [should I] chuck it? Was going to use for tacos,” he said, asking the members of the Facebook group for advice.

x3aEwhJLOuGofiwTIp2oYL0ItMwSn5qN1BGKeXfpPxuz1uzQzOuwAe3XuorQSu2hHeqln-YbiEOIgqkdFMdHS9Q3yY4LxEOS4Bgw4_owb9ydwhn7DrcVLRaAV2sTjUvapzMLrobW

The beef mince has turned from red to brown. Credit: Facebook.

Rob’s post was flooded with over a thousand comments from fellow shoppers, with several of them saying that they wouldn’t risk eating the meat that has greatly changed in colour.

One woman pointed out that the beef mince looks “off” and said: “My husband is a butcher and we would never eat this!”

A second person shared their experience with discoloured meat as well, saying: “I’ve had heaps like this. I do not recommend it. I cooked it and it all smelt fine until it went in my mouth. Lesson learned!!”

“No way I would be eating it… it is supposed to be red, not brown,” said a third.

But the majority of the comments assured Rob that the meat was perfectly safe to eat.

“It's only a bit of freezer burn. Perfectly fine and safe to eat! Often dye is put in mince to make it more attractive to buyers,” wrote one person.

“If it was frozen straight away and there are no holes in the plastic. It will be fine. You will be able to smell it as it is cooking. You will know straight away by the smell if it is in any way off,” added a second person.

A third person said that there’s nothing wrong with the mince and the change in colour was brought by the “lack of oxygen” due to being frozen.

But if you’re still in doubt whether the meat sitting in your freezer is still perfectly safe to eat, you can check by doing the “sniff test” and the “touch test”.

Fresh ground beef is said to have a mild iron-like smell, so if you sniff it and it already smells quite bad, it’s time to throw it into the bin. However, not every ‘bad’ bit of beef has a bad smell, so it’s better to look for more signs of spoilage other than sniffing it.

Fresh ground beef should not also feel “slimy” and “sticky” when touched, as it may indicate the presence of spoilage bacteria. We also advise thoroughly washing your hands before and after handling raw meat! Nobody wants to spread unnecessary bacteria everywhere.

For more information, check out this video below:

Credit: Mashed.

It’s important to be extra cautious when consuming stored meat because this may increase the risk of developing food poisoning. Some symptoms include: diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, upset stomach, vomiting, dehydration, and bloody stools.

Aside from checking for spoilage, we must highlight that it’s important as well to thoroughly cook ground beef to destroy any lingering bacteria.

Do you have more food safety tips? Share them with us down below!

Reactions: Lindyloo
Sponsored
Years ago, I noticed that the mince meat from Woolies was pink-red on the surface, but when I cut into the meat, it was brown under the surface.
I contacted Customer Service, and was told that they spray the surface with food colouring to enhance it to make it more appealing....brown meat is unattractive, pink meat looks better quality.
They don't have to include it in the contents, as there is not enough of it.

Check out the You Tube video above at the 3,34 minutes mark...... No mention of the extra protien crawling all over the meat

Years ago, I noticed that the mince meat from Woolies was pink-red on the surface, but when I cut into the meat, it was brown under the surface.
I contacted Customer Service, and was told that they spray the surface with food colouring to enhance it to make it more appealing....brown meat is unattractive, pink meat looks better quality.
They don't have to include it in the contents, as there is not enough of it.
Glad I don't eat meat, I suppose it is like the fruit they keep in cold storage like tomatoes and they get coloured as well:confused:

With all that fat thru it I wouldn't call it "lean" mince!!! I don't buy the cryo packed meat now, I get it from the butcher section in Woolies, lots fresher!

Woolies customer asks if his months-old beef buy is still safe to eat – what do you think?

One Woolworths customer has divided the opinions of fellow shoppers online when he posted a photo of a frozen packet of beef mince.

“I froze this beef in November the day I purchased [it],” said Rob in his Facebook post, along with a photo of his Woolies beef buy that has changed in colour – from red to a light brown shade.

“Is this still OK to eat or [should I] chuck it? Was going to use for tacos,” he said, asking the members of the Facebook group for advice.

x3aEwhJLOuGofiwTIp2oYL0ItMwSn5qN1BGKeXfpPxuz1uzQzOuwAe3XuorQSu2hHeqln-YbiEOIgqkdFMdHS9Q3yY4LxEOS4Bgw4_owb9ydwhn7DrcVLRaAV2sTjUvapzMLrobW

Rob’s post was flooded with over a thousand comments from fellow shoppers, with several of them saying that they wouldn’t risk eating the meat that has greatly changed in colour.

One woman pointed out that the beef mince looks “off” and said: “My husband is a butcher and we would never eat this!”

A second person shared their experience with discoloured meat as well, saying: “I’ve had heaps like this. I do not recommend it. I cooked it and it all smelt fine until it went in my mouth. Lesson learned!!”

“No way I would be eating it… it is supposed to be red, not brown,” said a third.

But the majority of the comments assured Rob that the meat was perfectly safe to eat.

“It's only a bit of freezer burn. Perfectly fine and safe to eat! Often dye is put in mince to make it more attractive to buyers,” wrote one person.

“If it was frozen straight away and there are no holes in the plastic. It will be fine. You will be able to smell it as it is cooking. You will know straight away by the smell if it is in any way off,” added a second person.

A third person said that there’s nothing wrong with the mince and the change in colour was brought by the “lack of oxygen” due to being frozen.

But if you’re still in doubt whether the meat sitting in your freezer is still perfectly safe to eat, you can check by doing the “sniff test” and the “touch test”.

Fresh ground beef is said to have a mild iron-like smell, so if you sniff it and it already smells quite bad, it’s time to throw it into the bin. However, not every ‘bad’ bit of beef has a bad smell, so it’s better to look for more signs of spoilage other than sniffing it.

Fresh ground beef should not also feel “slimy” and “sticky” when touched, as it may indicate the presence of spoilage bacteria. We also advise thoroughly washing your hands before and after handling raw meat! Nobody wants to spread unnecessary bacteria everywhere.

It’s important to be extra cautious when consuming stored meat because this may increase the risk of developing food poisoning. Some symptoms include: diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, upset stomach, vomiting, dehydration, and bloody stools.

Aside from checking for spoilage, we must highlight that it’s important as well to thoroughly cook ground beef to destroy any lingering bacteria.

I agree with most comments on this Woolies meat thing.
Yes, the mince does turn a yucky colour whether it's fridged or just left out & unopened.
I have also noticed the water content in their 'premium' 90% packaged mince.
Yes even that 'quality' goes a yucky colour also.
Only feed it my dog n my maggies anyway.

• Angry
I buy my meat from my butcher, its always fresh & He packs it so that I can put it straight into the freezer when I get home

I bup topside,blade or other cuts of steak on special and mince my own in the food processor..hardl any fat and I often add onion and garlic too

Reactions: Vinylted
With all that fat thru it I wouldn't call it "lean" mince!!! I don't buy the cryo packed meat now, I get it from the butcher section in Woolies, lots fresher!
I was going to say, there is a lot of fat content for it to be "lean", as for buying it from the butcher section in Woolies or any other supermarket chain forget it, they are all going to cryo-packs done out of the stores. If you want fresh meat use a butcher

I wouldn't use it in a pink fit!

Reactions: Vinylted
I was going to say, there is a lot of fat content for it to be "lean", as for buying it from the butcher section in Woolies or any other supermarket chain forget it, they are all going to cryo-packs done out of the stores. If you want fresh meat use a butcher
Our Woolies has just opened a new butcher section with just beef, lamb and pork.

I agree with most comments on this Woolies meat thing.
Yes, the mince does turn a yucky colour whether it's fridged or just left out & unopened.
I have also noticed the water content in their 'premium' 90% packaged mince.
Yes even that 'quality' goes a yucky colour also.
Only feed it my dog n my maggies anyway.
Are you serious about feeding it to your dog? They could get food poisoning as well. You should not be giving it to the magpies either. Very very irresponsible. If it's not fit for human consumption then it's not fit for dogs, magpies or other animals!

Reactions: Defiant540
You'd think with all the good health conversion out there... that these fast food places would be adding the "low-cal" version on their menus by now...

What do you mean? Woolies is not a fast food place!
Oh... I had scrolled over to using mince meat to make home-made burgers with half the calories that the bought ones have... and I just commented that with all the other choices....you think they'd have added the low cal option.. 😀

Are you serious about feeding it to your dog? They could get food poisoning as well. You should not be giving it to the magpies either. Very very irresponsible. If it's not fit for human consumption then it's not fit for dogs, magpies or other animals!
I don't know... I give my dog a nice fresh bone to chew...and she buries it to dig up when it stinks and chews on it then!!!