Woman faces backlash after revealing “UNCONVENTIONAL” way of slicing a sandwich — "There’s a fine line between genius and madness"

When it comes to slicing a sandwich, there are two schools of thought: diagonal and vertical. And people still can't seem to agree on which is the proper way to do it.

Diagonal slicing, also known as the “triangles”, is the most common way to slice a sandwich. The method involves slicing the sandwich from one corner to another. It's simple and efficient, and it allows you to evenly distribute the fillings. Diagonal slicing also makes it easy to grab a bite-sized piece of the sandwich without getting your hands too messy.

DALL·E 2022-07-13 12.12.02 - anthropomorphised sandwich angrily shaking its fist, digital art.png
Cut me the proper way, or there'll be trouble! Source: Open AI (AI Generated)

On the other hand, vertical slicing, also known as the "rectangles" is when you cut the sandwich in half from side to side. This method is said to be more elegant and sophisticated, and it allows you to taste all the different flavours in each bite.

While people are divided over these two sandwich slicing methods, they united to topple down a common enemy — this one woman's unconventional way of slicing a sandwich!

A British woman has faced backlash after she took to social media to share her preferred technique for cutting her sandwich.

In a post to Reddit, the woman shared a photo of one of her sandwiches and explained how she slices three lines diagonally through the sandwich instead of cutting it a conventional way.

X0X0v1xfnOdxQSsZjZUHPMb8EujI_UagHV-MwGKS1QiUMeJS7un-Kb-MzaFpmk9_OmORZkDtMpnUp-cWCXtkQEfJyBfyJ9jbsorvpBlTPpaltta6rx6zx_HsVvt0nJ1cY3lA9EEo45oY_wETJQ

Credit: Reddit

She wrote: "I believe this is the best way. Optional shapes and sizes, plus two extra pieces."

The woman also shared that she started doing this unique method about a year ago, explaining: "I make them like this to take to work, smaller chunks mean I don't have hamster cheeks if I have to communicate with people."

However, the woman's approach was not well received by many, as evidenced by the flood of criticism the post received.

One person wrote: "There’s a fine line between genius and madness."

"What is this chaotic neutral monstrosity?" another questioned.

Several users pointed out that the middle portions of the sandwich would be “flappy” (or loose) if one cuts them that way.

One comment read: "I can only eat a sandwich in quarters, sixths is just too much sandwich for me."

"To be fair, I could see this working if it was to accompany soup. Other than that, madness," another commented.

A third added: "This is unhinged."

However, the woman persisted in defending her method, claiming that she feels as though she is eating more when it is divided into six parts.

"It definitely feels like more sandwich even if it is the same amount of sandwich," she argued.

"I would often eat four parts then get sad when there was no more. Like if you go to drink tea but you've already finished it. This way I get sandwich glee!"

5HF1DfBRdwoLpVgVEzCfMXRljYpF1tL7ZjfS0PGsMSpNDXRUvLoMhWfgPuYiFAigo06zkvxi9ywx3X_VpumN_9zu71ClK2rPtUqtZuh01A0gfwmKTuZ3PjNITG7Ri8989mvhlatKXd8TrSsRpA

Credit: Getty Images

So which is the correct way to slice a sandwich? Personally, cutting a sandwich into fours is great for picnics and sandwiches with fewer fillings like cucumber or egg. I find if I overfill my sandwich, one cut down the middle is the only way to go because you can still fit it in your mouth and enjoy all of the flavours without the contents spilling out!

How about you? What is your preferred method of cutting your sandwich? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
When it comes to slicing a sandwich, there are two schools of thought: diagonal and vertical. And people still can't seem to agree on which is the proper way to do it.

Diagonal slicing, also known as the “triangles”, is the most common way to slice a sandwich. The method involves slicing the sandwich from one corner to another. It's simple and efficient, and it allows you to evenly distribute the fillings. Diagonal slicing also makes it easy to grab a bite-sized piece of the sandwich without getting your hands too messy.

View attachment 4418

On the other hand, vertical slicing, also known as the "rectangles" is when you cut the sandwich in half from side to side. This method is said to be more elegant and sophisticated, and it allows you to taste all the different flavours in each bite.

While people are divided over these two sandwich slicing methods, they united to topple down a common enemy — this one woman's unconventional way of slicing a sandwich!

A British woman has faced backlash after she took to social media to share her preferred technique for cutting her sandwich.

In a post to Reddit, the woman shared a photo of one of her sandwiches and explained how she slices three lines diagonally through the sandwich instead of cutting it a conventional way.

X0X0v1xfnOdxQSsZjZUHPMb8EujI_UagHV-MwGKS1QiUMeJS7un-Kb-MzaFpmk9_OmORZkDtMpnUp-cWCXtkQEfJyBfyJ9jbsorvpBlTPpaltta6rx6zx_HsVvt0nJ1cY3lA9EEo45oY_wETJQ

She wrote: "I believe this is the best way. Optional shapes and sizes, plus two extra pieces."

The woman also shared that she started doing this unique method about a year ago, explaining: "I make them like this to take to work, smaller chunks mean I don't have hamster cheeks if I have to communicate with people."

However, the woman's approach was not well received by many, as evidenced by the flood of criticism the post received.

Several users pointed out that the middle portions of the sandwich would be “flappy” (or loose) if one cuts them that way.

One comment read: "I can only eat a sandwich in quarters, sixths is just too much sandwich for me."

"To be fair, I could see this working if it was to accompany soup. Other than that, madness," another commented.

However, the woman persisted in defending her method, claiming that she feels as though she is eating more when it is divided into six parts.

"It definitely feels like more sandwich even if it is the same amount of sandwich," she argued.

"I would often eat four parts then get sad when there was no more. Like if you go to drink tea but you've already finished it. This way I get sandwich glee!"

5HF1DfBRdwoLpVgVEzCfMXRljYpF1tL7ZjfS0PGsMSpNDXRUvLoMhWfgPuYiFAigo06zkvxi9ywx3X_VpumN_9zu71ClK2rPtUqtZuh01A0gfwmKTuZ3PjNITG7Ri8989mvhlatKXd8TrSsRpA

So which is the correct way to slice a sandwich? Personally, cutting a sandwich into fours is great for picnics and sandwiches with fewer fillings like cucumber or egg. I find if I overfill my sandwich, one cut down the middle is the only way to go because you can still fit it in your mouth and enjoy all of the flavours without the contents spilling out!

How about you? What is your preferred method of cutting your sandwich? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
What does it matter

I slice diagonal. If I make a platter of sandwiches then I cut them in 4 and stand them up.
For the kids sandwiches if I didn't cut them in 4 then I actually cut them vertical . I feel it's easier for them to hold.
Most breville machines cut vertical.
Either way is fine by me but how that lady cut her sandwiches like a jigsaw puzzle....well that's a little messy for me

View attachment 4418

Reactions: barbaranne

View attachment 4418

Reactions: barbaranne

View attachment 4418

Who cares, is really newsworthy?

View attachment 4418

For goodness sake people, it's a sandwich, does it matter how it's cut. If she is happy with it so what?

Who cares, is really newsworthy?
Well, apparently, it is to the SDC community. Must have been a slow "news" day. Meanwhile, the Coronavirus rages on -- thousands upon thousands in Australiia -- but STILL there are the deadheads out there who think the way to prevent themselves from the virus is to wear the mask in one of three ways: drape it around your neck, wear it on your chin or not wear it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t have a problem with her sandwich cut but what I do take exception to is her statement about having “ hamster cheeks” if she has to communicate with someone. There is nothing more revolting than seeing someone speaking with their mouth full.

I changed my cutting ways as my kid numbers grew then reduced- not only sandwiches but roast chickens too! Now I still give grandkids the option of how many sections to help learning to count

What she prefers looks pretty good to me. I rather like the oblong ones myself but hey each to their own. I am a little sick of this culture where there is a right way and a wrong way and you are cancelled if you do not do it my way. Grow up and get a life I say.