Will Aussies have to publicly swear their loyalty to King Charles? Discover the surprising requirement for the coronation!

With the King's coronation less than a week away, Australians all over the world have been scrambling to learn more about one of the most important royal ceremonies in history.

Taking place at 11 am BST (8 pm AEST) on May 6, the coronation of King Charles III promises to offer a few surprises.

Unlike Queen Elizabeth II’s 70-year-old coronation ceremony, it’s a sprawling two-hour event that will roll out in a much more modern setting.

There will be a multilingual prayer, the presence of female clergy and bishops, and the act of hereditary peers kneeling before touching the monarch’s crown and kissing his cheek — which is a striking change from the traditional coronation of the past.

But, the replacements for the latter tradition have raised eyebrows…

A new 'people's homage' has been announced by the Office of the Archbishop in London, allowing viewers of the coronation ceremony to take part in a 'solemn and joyful' moment from their own homes.

1682918388815.png
Several historical changes to traditional practices have been incorporated into the King's coronation ceremony. Credit: Shutterstock.

The Most Rev Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, will offer the opportunity for those who desire to pay homage to the monarch to 'pledge true allegiance.'

'I call upon all persons of goodwill in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other Realms and the Territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all,' he’ll say.

The individuals paying homage are requested to declare: 'I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.'

Prior to Archbishop Welby's proclamation of ‘God Save the King’ a fanfare will resound.

In response, a worldwide chorus of ‘God save King Charles, long live King Charles, may the King live forever’ will reverberate.

However, the modification has been met with disdain by certain Australians opposed to publicly proclaiming and pledging loyalty.

Some have resorted to expressing their indignation on social media.

One Sydneysider wrote: ‘Oh my god, who cares about the King, I will not be doing this.’

‘Cry out and swear allegiance to King Charles from wherever I won’t be watching the coronation? What a load of nonsense,’ another added.

In the meantime, a few Australians have presented an ultimatum, stating that they would only participate in the homage if they were granted a public holiday as compensation.

‘If you give me a public holiday for it, I assure you that I will do it,’ one tweet declared.

While some royal enthusiasts were willing to participate in the gesture in exchange for a public holiday, at this stage there’s been no announcement suggesting a public holiday anytime soon.

Key Takeaways
  • King Charles III's coronation service will take a more modernised approach with several historical firsts.
  • New traditions, including a multilingual prayer and the presence of female clergy and bishops, were introduced to encourage unity between faiths.
  • Australians and others worldwide are invited to participate in the 'Homage of the People' from their homes.
  • Some Australians are reportedly questioning the need to pay homage, labelling the new tradition as 'absurd.'

Regardless of individual feelings on the matter, the coronation of King Charles III has already gained his place in the history books, with a seismic shift in long-held traditions.

And even as Australia wrestles with the question of whether to pledge allegiance, the world will undoubtedly be watching with keen interest as the Royal Family takes another step towards modernisation and inclusivity.

So, there you have it, folks! For those who are looking for more information on the upcoming coronation of King Charles III, we recommend checking out this article.

Members, are you looking forward to King Charles III’s coronation? Will you be voicing your loyalty to King Charles on coronation day? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
With the King's coronation less than a week away, Australians all over the world have been scrambling to learn more about one of the most important royal ceremonies in history.

Taking place at 11 am BST (8 pm AEST) on May 6, the coronation of King Charles III promises to offer a few surprises.

Unlike Queen Elizabeth II’s 70-year-old coronation ceremony, it’s a sprawling two-hour event that will roll out in a much more modern setting.

There will be a multilingual prayer, the presence of female clergy and bishops, and the act of hereditary peers kneeling before touching the monarch’s crown and kissing his cheek — which is a striking change from the traditional coronation of the past.

A new 'people's homage' has been announced by the Office of the Archbishop in London, allowing viewers of the coronation ceremony to take part in a 'solemn and joyful' moment from their own homes.

View attachment 18811
Several historical changes to traditional practices have been incorporated into the King's coronation ceremony. Credit: Shutterstock.

The Most Rev Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, will offer the opportunity for those who desire to pay homage to the monarch to 'pledge true allegiance.'

'I call upon all persons of goodwill in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other Realms and the Territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all,' he’ll say.

The individuals paying homage are requested to declare: 'I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.'

Prior to Archbishop Welby's proclamation of ‘God Save the King’ a fanfare will resound.

In response, a worldwide chorus of ‘God save King Charles, long live King Charles, may the King live forever’ will reverberate.

However, the modification has been met with disdain by certain Australians opposed to publicly proclaiming and pledging loyalty.

One Sydneysider wrote: ‘Oh my god, who cares about the King, I will not be doing this.’

‘Cry out and swear allegiance to King Charles from wherever I won’t be watching the coronation? What a load of nonsense,’ another added.

In the meantime, a few Australians have presented an ultimatum, stating that they would only participate in the homage if they were granted a public holiday as compensation.

‘If you give me a public holiday for it, I assure you that I will do it,’ one tweet declared.

While some royal enthusiasts were willing to participate in the gesture in exchange for a public holiday, at this stage there’s been no announcement suggesting a public holiday anytime soon.

Key Takeaways

• King Charles III's coronation service will take a more modernised approach with several historical firsts.
  • New traditions, including a multilingual prayer and the presence of female clergy and bishops, were introduced to encourage unity between faiths.
  • Australians and others worldwide are invited to participate in the 'Homage of the People' from their homes.
  • Some Australians are reportedly questioning the need to pay homage, labelling the new tradition as 'absurd.'

Regardless of individual feelings on the matter, the coronation of King Charles III has already gained his place in the history books, with a seismic shift in long-held traditions.

And even as Australia wrestles with the question of whether to pledge allegiance, the world will undoubtedly be watching with keen interest as the Royal Family takes another step towards modernisation and inclusivity.

So, there you have it, folks! For those who are looking for more information on the upcoming coronation of King Charles III, we recommend checking out this article.

Members, are you looking forward to King Charles III’s coronation? Will you be voicing your loyalty to King Charles on coronation day? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

I won't be paying homage but will be watching this important event. Who knows for how long we will remain as part of the Commonwealth before the Republicans get their way. I for one, like the monarchy with all their faults. They are real people after all. However, in my humble opinion, their will never be another Queen Elizabeth. She was a real figure head. I will wait and see what Charles becomes.

I pledge my loyalty and true allegiance to one person only and that's to God.

Why would anyone pledge this to King Charles The Adultera
I don't understand why they need to spend so much money on the ceremony! Billions $$$ just on security.

Why don't they do this more privately and people just watch it on TV

This is the people's money not Charles's and it doesn't seem morally correct when so many people are doing it tuff.

Remember it was the People who also just forked out so much for The Queens funeral.

To me this is so wrong !!!

His title should be King Charles The Adulterer. ... it has a nice ring to it

Last edited:
I won't be pledging my allegiance to King Charles the turd any time soon .

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
Hmm, swear allegiance..?
They say that "birds of a feather flock together", and that we become an average of the five people we spend the most time with. That said - Charles was best friends with the late entertainer Jimmy Savile, since found to be UKs most prolific paedophile, I doubt many (aware) citizens will pay homage any time soon.

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

Yes. King Charles III is Australia's head of state and the homage is an expression of loyalty to Australia by medium of that status. Begrudging republicans are welcome to disengage (it is not mandatory), but in reality they are only taking an ill-thoughtout sideswipe at the country and its people.

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

i DO NOT THINK CHARLES SHOULD BE KING, HE IS TO OLD AND THINGS HAVE CHANGED IN THE ROYAL HOUSEHOLD. i DON'T LIKE HIM OR HIS PRICNCIPLS SO WHY SPOIL MY BIRTHDAY BY WATCHING HIM ON TV.

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

Certainly not, we may be part of the Commonwealth but who really benefits from this? Our members of State will be over there to get their face & name in print - and use monies that should be helping our own people who are struggling to feed their own, have somewhere warm to sleep etc. It is time to stand up and be strong against all odds and put your OWN homeland first.

Not in à million years!

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

In a

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
I did read somewhere he is having a new carriage made for the occasion and it is being made here in Australia -because the carriage the Queen used was uncomfortable and has no air conditioning. What next? As the journey in the carriage would be only short!!!

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

Gee. People, should read the story. You'll be invited to say it. Don't have to. Besides, it's in your own home. So only you will know, if you did or not 🤯

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

No way , I will not be voicing any loyalty to this man on coronation day nor on any other day.

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways