Will Aussies have to publicly swear their loyalty to King Charles? Discover the surprising requirement for the coronation!

With the King's coronation less than a week away, Australians all over the world have been scrambling to learn more about one of the most important royal ceremonies in history.

Taking place at 11 am BST (8 pm AEST) on May 6, the coronation of King Charles III promises to offer a few surprises.

Unlike Queen Elizabeth II’s 70-year-old coronation ceremony, it’s a sprawling two-hour event that will roll out in a much more modern setting.

There will be a multilingual prayer, the presence of female clergy and bishops, and the act of hereditary peers kneeling before touching the monarch’s crown and kissing his cheek — which is a striking change from the traditional coronation of the past.

But, the replacements for the latter tradition have raised eyebrows…

A new 'people's homage' has been announced by the Office of the Archbishop in London, allowing viewers of the coronation ceremony to take part in a 'solemn and joyful' moment from their own homes.

1682918388815.png
Several historical changes to traditional practices have been incorporated into the King's coronation ceremony. Credit: Shutterstock.

The Most Rev Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, will offer the opportunity for those who desire to pay homage to the monarch to 'pledge true allegiance.'

'I call upon all persons of goodwill in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other Realms and the Territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all,' he’ll say.

The individuals paying homage are requested to declare: 'I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.'

Prior to Archbishop Welby's proclamation of ‘God Save the King’ a fanfare will resound.

In response, a worldwide chorus of ‘God save King Charles, long live King Charles, may the King live forever’ will reverberate.

However, the modification has been met with disdain by certain Australians opposed to publicly proclaiming and pledging loyalty.

Some have resorted to expressing their indignation on social media.

One Sydneysider wrote: ‘Oh my god, who cares about the King, I will not be doing this.’

‘Cry out and swear allegiance to King Charles from wherever I won’t be watching the coronation? What a load of nonsense,’ another added.

In the meantime, a few Australians have presented an ultimatum, stating that they would only participate in the homage if they were granted a public holiday as compensation.

‘If you give me a public holiday for it, I assure you that I will do it,’ one tweet declared.

While some royal enthusiasts were willing to participate in the gesture in exchange for a public holiday, at this stage there’s been no announcement suggesting a public holiday anytime soon.

Key Takeaways
  • King Charles III's coronation service will take a more modernised approach with several historical firsts.
  • New traditions, including a multilingual prayer and the presence of female clergy and bishops, were introduced to encourage unity between faiths.
  • Australians and others worldwide are invited to participate in the 'Homage of the People' from their homes.
  • Some Australians are reportedly questioning the need to pay homage, labelling the new tradition as 'absurd.'

Regardless of individual feelings on the matter, the coronation of King Charles III has already gained his place in the history books, with a seismic shift in long-held traditions.

And even as Australia wrestles with the question of whether to pledge allegiance, the world will undoubtedly be watching with keen interest as the Royal Family takes another step towards modernisation and inclusivity.

So, there you have it, folks! For those who are looking for more information on the upcoming coronation of King Charles III, we recommend checking out this article.

Members, are you looking forward to King Charles III’s coronation? Will you be voicing your loyalty to King Charles on coronation day? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Ado
With the King's coronation less than a week away, Australians all over the world have been scrambling to learn more about one of the most important royal ceremonies in history.

Taking place at 11 am BST (8 pm AEST) on May 6, the coronation of King Charles III promises to offer a few surprises.

Unlike Queen Elizabeth II’s 70-year-old coronation ceremony, it’s a sprawling two-hour event that will roll out in a much more modern setting.

There will be a multilingual prayer, the presence of female clergy and bishops, and the act of hereditary peers kneeling before touching the monarch’s crown and kissing his cheek — which is a striking change from the traditional coronation of the past.

A new 'people's homage' has been announced by the Office of the Archbishop in London, allowing viewers of the coronation ceremony to take part in a 'solemn and joyful' moment from their own homes.

View attachment 18811
Several historical changes to traditional practices have been incorporated into the King's coronation ceremony. Credit: Shutterstock.

The Most Rev Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, will offer the opportunity for those who desire to pay homage to the monarch to 'pledge true allegiance.'

'I call upon all persons of goodwill in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other Realms and the Territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all,' he’ll say.

The individuals paying homage are requested to declare: 'I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.'

Prior to Archbishop Welby's proclamation of ‘God Save the King’ a fanfare will resound.

In response, a worldwide chorus of ‘God save King Charles, long live King Charles, may the King live forever’ will reverberate.

However, the modification has been met with disdain by certain Australians opposed to publicly proclaiming and pledging loyalty.

One Sydneysider wrote: ‘Oh my god, who cares about the King, I will not be doing this.’

‘Cry out and swear allegiance to King Charles from wherever I won’t be watching the coronation? What a load of nonsense,’ another added.

In the meantime, a few Australians have presented an ultimatum, stating that they would only participate in the homage if they were granted a public holiday as compensation.

‘If you give me a public holiday for it, I assure you that I will do it,’ one tweet declared.

While some royal enthusiasts were willing to participate in the gesture in exchange for a public holiday, at this stage there’s been no announcement suggesting a public holiday anytime soon.

Key Takeaways

• King Charles III's coronation service will take a more modernised approach with several historical firsts.
  • New traditions, including a multilingual prayer and the presence of female clergy and bishops, were introduced to encourage unity between faiths.
  • Australians and others worldwide are invited to participate in the 'Homage of the People' from their homes.
  • Some Australians are reportedly questioning the need to pay homage, labelling the new tradition as 'absurd.'

Regardless of individual feelings on the matter, the coronation of King Charles III has already gained his place in the history books, with a seismic shift in long-held traditions.

And even as Australia wrestles with the question of whether to pledge allegiance, the world will undoubtedly be watching with keen interest as the Royal Family takes another step towards modernisation and inclusivity.

So, there you have it, folks! For those who are looking for more information on the upcoming coronation of King Charles III, we recommend checking out this article.

Members, are you looking forward to King Charles III’s coronation? Will you be voicing your loyalty to King Charles on coronation day? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Absolutely not , Defender ???
He didn't defend his own wife! Why would one pay allegiance to an adulterer?

Reactions: LynS and Ricci
i certainly do not care about Charlie and his coronation, to me the whole lot of them are just a tourist attraction similar to Adventure World.
I would never call any of them by the titles that they have imposed on themselves, they are just like every one else as far as I am concerned, if you want my respect you need to do something to earn it not just be born into it. And yes he is/was an adulterer, we have had our own leaders kicked out of office because of doing the same thing so why not Charlie?

Reactions: LynS and Ricci

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

WA Hell no!

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

Members, are you looking forward King Charles III’s coronation? Will you be voicing your loyalty to King Charles on coronation day? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Hell no! The monarchy died with Queen Elizabeth! As for Charles being defender of all? He couldn't even protect Diana, too busy commiting adultery with his bloody floosy Camilla, as for her as Queen ? That's BS ! The existing Royals are a bloody joke ! Poor Queen Lilibet must be rolling over in her grave!

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

Reactions: DrChip and Ricci

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

Dont trust him so I will not be bothering with it... NOT MY KING

What next. Kneeling for the king? That reminds me of a Bible story.
I only kneel for my God.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

Absolutely Not

View attachment 18811

Key Takeaways

it isn't written in stone so everyone has a choice. what is the problem? this Bishop has made a big mistake for the commonwealth. I am a monachist but I will not be pledging anything.

Reactions: Ricci
I will watch it for the spectacle it promises to be. However, to my mind Charles has ruled himself out of being an effective Monarch by his prior actions. Centuries old rules have had to be changed in order for the succession to be upheld.
1. He is divorced
2. He married a divorcee.
3. She is so desperate to be Queen they have had to change things from Elizabeths edict that she would be known as Consort.
In my humble opinion if he wanted to marry Camilla he should have given up his rights to be King and this coming ceremony should have been for William. Edward had to step down when he insisted on marrying Wallace Simpson after all.

I won't be adding my voice to that. In fact I sure wont be adding my voice to that other divisive voice thing going on later this year

Certainly not, we may be part of the Commonwealth but who really benefits from this? Our members of State will be over there to get their face & name in print - and use monies that should be helping our own people who are struggling to feed their own, have somewhere warm to sleep etc. It is time to stand up and be strong against all odds and put your OWN homeland first.
Well said 👏

What a bunch of silly people voicing their opinions as if anyone really cares what they think, personally I think people should read things properly before making comment. If you do not like the monarchy then don't, many do including myself, although I do admit I am English and very proud of that, which is my right. However, this comment " we will do it if we have a public holiday" wow does that mean that you pledged your allegiance to the late Queen Elizabeth because there was a public holiday for the Queen's birthday? I think you will find that there will be a public holiday for the King's birthday although that hasn't been announced when that will be. I am sure you will all gladly take that public holiday.

Reactions: London Lad
I will watch it for the spectacle it promises to be. However, to my mind Charles has ruled himself out of being an effective Monarch by his prior actions. Centuries old rules have had to be changed in order for the succession to be upheld.
1. He is divorced
2. He married a divorcee.
3. She is so desperate to be Queen they have had to change things from Elizabeths edict that she would be known as Consort.
In my humble opinion if he wanted to marry Camilla he should have given up his rights to be King and this coming ceremony should have been for William. Edward had to step down when he insisted on marrying Wallace Simpson after all.
So very well said 👏 what is sad was that Edward was never married b4 when made abdicate and Walkace Simpson may have been a divorcee but had no kids.

Charles was way worst that Edwards

What a bunch of silly people voicing their opinions as if anyone really cares what they think, personally I think people should read things properly before making comment. If you do not like the monarchy then don't, many do including myself, although I do admit I am English and very proud of that, which is my right. However, this comment " we will do it if we have a public holiday" wow does that mean that you pledged your allegiance to the late Queen Elizabeth because there was a public holiday for the Queen's birthday? I think you will find that there will be a public holiday for the King's birthday although that hasn't been announced when that will be. I am sure you will all gladly take that public holiday.
No most don't really want the public holiday, many Australian businesses lose many.

We are Australian 🇦🇺 and proud of it.

The people who should be the ones saying sorry to the aboriginal people are the English and especially the Monarch . They are the ones who invaded not us.

They are the ones who bought the convicts here , they didn't want to come. Some of these were convicts all because they stole food to feed their families.
Yes there were murderers among them but most were here because of Petty crime.

We really don't need the Monarch and especially Charles who has no morales .
Are we forgetting what he did to Diannna ?

I respected the Queen but still had the same views.

People are free to have their say and share it and for those who don't like it then pass on by . Don't read it !

I will be watching the coronation, just as I watched Queen Elizabeth's funeral. (Funnily enough, nobody has complained about the expense of the latter occasion). They are important historical events and I will probably never live to see another one. Elizabeth is a hard act to follow and I am glad I got the opportunity to meet her. I think Charles should be given a chance to show what he is made of. As for his infidelity, well, Diana was unfaithful too but we don't know what went on behind closed doors. There's three sides to the story - her side, his side, and the truth. Sorry, there's four sides - there's also that of the press. All this condemnation of Charles and when you boil it down, we only "know" what is published in the press. And surely we all know better than to believe everything that's in the media. I also wonder how many of those criticising Charles in this forum have done the same, if not worse.

Last edited:
What a great waste of money. He should be fixing the housing and helping people in need. Since Diana's death, I have lost interest in the Royal family and more so since the Queen's passing.

I pledge my loyalty and true allegiance to one person only and that's to God.

Why would anyone pledge this to King Charles The Adultera
I don't understand why they need to spend so much money on the ceremony! Billions $$$ just on security.

Why don't they do this more privately and people just watch it on TV

This is the people's money not Charles's and it doesn't seem morally correct when so many people are doing it tuff.

Remember it was the People who also just forked out so much for The Queens funeral.

To me this is so wrong !!!

His title should be King Charles The Adulterer. ... it has a nice ring to it
And his Rotweiler.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I will be watching the coronation, just as I watched Queen Elizabeth's funeral. (Funnily enough, nobody has complained about the expense of the latter occasion). They are important historical events and I will probably never live to see another one. Elizabeth is a hard act to follow and I am glad I got the opportunity to meet her. I think Charles should be given a chance to show what he is made of. As for his infidelity, well, Diana was unfaithful too but we don't know what went on behind closed doors. There's three sides to the story - her side, his side, and the truth. I also wonder how many of those criticising Charles in this forum have done the same, if not worse.
I haven't and remember it's a well know fact he was cheating just before he married and after. Remember he gave Camilla a bracelet the say before the wedding to Diana and he wore cufflinks to his wedding that Camilla gave him with both his and her inituals intwined and Diana confirmed this in an interview and with proof.

Diana cheated later on When she knew Charles was still seeing Camilla and she got no attention from Charles, again from Diana's mouth and I would believe her over anyone.

He ruined her life.

Don't forget he went on to marry the woman he cheated on Diana with !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi