Why are grandparents now called 'grandfriends' at school events? Here's the controversial reason behind the new name

Recently, there's been a lot of anger and frustration from Australians over the term 'grandfriends' being used in place of 'grandparents' at several school events.

Apparently, this new word is seen as more 'inclusive', but many people are disagreeing – especially grandparents themselves!

So, what's the story? Here's everything you need to know about the situation...

It started when a couple of schools NSW schools – Spring Farm, Bradbury, Concord, Drummoyne, Gillieston, Heathcote East, Kiama, Neutral Bay and Newton to be exact – decided to change the name of ‘Grandparent’s Day’ to ‘Grandfriends Day’. This was done to be more ‘inclusive’, reports say.

But this decision ended up sparking outrage in people, most of whom believe that this change takes away the importance and the meaning of the special day.

grandparents.JPG
Some people say changing the name to ‘grandfriends’ is strange. Credit: RODNAE Productions in Pexels

Ian Barnett, the Founder of the National Grandparent Movement, said it was an ‘odd move’, and that rather than being inclusive, it ends up excluding ‘one of the most significant people in a child’s life’.

‘The implication behind that is, of course, if “grandparents” are now “grandfriends”, it means that the next logical step is that parents become “friends”.’

He added: ‘It’s strange to do it and I don’t know the reasoning behind it either.’

Grandparent’s Day is a special occasion that lets them join kids in school for morning tea, or lunch, or spend time with them in general. It’s a wonderful time to celebrate their relationship and strengthen their bond.

Schools have made the move to expand the name to ‘Grandparents and Grandfriends’ Day’ lately. But the decision to remove the term ‘grandparents’ altogether seems like the importance of the day has been watered down – which annoyed many people.

‘I can understand maybe that they want to make it easier for others to come on board,’ said Mr Barnett.

‘It’s such a significant phrase and concept, and it’s disappointing to actually think that we can no longer use that and we’re changing into something like “grandfriends”.’

grandparents1.JPG
Grandparents are an integral part of every child’s life. Credit: Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas in Pexels

Many were quick to oppose the use of the term ‘grandfriends’ and expressed their disbelief online.

‘What a load of rubbish,’ someone said.

One commented: ‘I am a very proud grandparent. I am so over all the “do-gooders” wanting to change history and relationships just to confuse and include and wrap everyone in cotton wool so that they don’t get offended.’

‘I am a very proud grandparent; my five grandchildren call me “Nonna”. Stop offending me,’ added another.

Another said: ‘Grandparents have knowledge and experience no one will ever have until they are mature enough and lived through life.’

‘They deserve, and all grandparents demand the utmost RESPECT this title holds,’ they added.

In defence, the NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell addressed the situation in one particular school.

She said: ‘Spring Farm Public School used this term to promote their event as they had invited residents from a local aged care facility who are pen pals with the students.’

You can watch the news report here:

Key Takeaways

• Many schools in NSW have replaced the term ‘Grandparents Day’ with ‘Grandfriends Day’ to be more inclusive.
  • Although the intention behind this change may be to include more people, many are angry at the change, as they feel it excludes grandparents from the title and ‘waters down’ the meaning of the special day.
  • Grandparents play an important role in a child's life and should be respected as such.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think it’s a wise move to rename the term Grandparent's Day to Grandfriend's Day to be more inclusive? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Let’s just leave it as “Grandparents Day”….for those who have nothing better to do than try and change this…can I say “if it ain’t broken, it doesn’t need fixing”

Recently, there's been a lot of anger and frustration from Australians over the term 'grandfriends' being used in place of 'grandparents' at several school events.

Apparently, this new word is seen as more 'inclusive', but many people are disagreeing – especially grandparents themselves!

It started when a couple of schools NSW schools – Spring Farm, Bradbury, Concord, Drummoyne, Gillieston, Heathcote East, Kiama, Neutral Bay and Newton to be exact – decided to change the name of ‘Grandparent’s Day’ to ‘Grandfriends Day’. This was done to be more ‘inclusive’, reports say.

But this decision ended up sparking outrage in people, most of whom believe that this change takes away the importance and the meaning of the special day.

View attachment 8453
Some people say changing the name to ‘grandfriends’ is strange. Credit: RODNAE Productions in Pexels

Ian Barnett, the Founder of the National Grandparent Movement, said it was an ‘odd move’, and that rather than being inclusive, it ends up excluding ‘one of the most significant people in a child’s life’.

‘The implication behind that is, of course, if “grandparents” are now “grandfriends”, it means that the next logical step is that parents become “friends”.’

He added: ‘It’s strange to do it and I don’t know the reasoning behind it either.’

Grandparent’s Day is a special occasion that lets them join kids in school for morning tea, or lunch, or spend time with them in general. It’s a wonderful time to celebrate their relationship and strengthen their bond.

Schools have made the move to expand the name to ‘Grandparents and Grandfriends’ Day’ lately. But the decision to remove the term ‘grandparents’ altogether seems like the importance of the day has been watered down – which annoyed many people.

‘I can understand maybe that they want to make it easier for others to come on board,’ said Mr Barnett.

‘It’s such a significant phrase and concept, and it’s disappointing to actually think that we can no longer use that and we’re changing into something like “grandfriends”.’

View attachment 8454
Grandparents are an integral part of every child’s life. Credit: Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas in Pexels

Many were quick to oppose the use of the term ‘grandfriends’ and expressed their disbelief online.

One commented: ‘I am a very proud grandparent. I am so over all the “do-gooders” wanting to change history and relationships just to confuse and include and wrap everyone in cotton wool so that they don’t get offended.’

‘I am a very proud grandparent; my five grandchildren call me “Nonna”. Stop offending me,’ added another.

Another said: ‘Grandparents have knowledge and experience no one will ever have until they are mature enough and lived through life.’

‘They deserve, and all grandparents demand the utmost RESPECT this title holds,’ they added.

In defence, the NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell addressed the situation in one particular school.

She said: ‘Spring Farm Public School used this term to promote their event as they had invited residents from a local aged care facility who are pen pals with the students.’

Key Takeaways

• Many schools in NSW have replaced the term ‘Grandparents Day’ with ‘Grandfriends Day’ to be more inclusive.
  • Although the intention behind this change may be to include more people, many are angry at the change, as they feel it excludes grandparents from the title and ‘waters down’ the meaning of the special day.
  • Grandparents play an important role in a child's life and should be respected as such.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think it’s a wise move to rename the term Grandparent's Day to Grandfriend's Day to be more inclusive? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Absolutely stupid, stupid, stupid. What is our country coming to!!!!!

Reactions: Isabella

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

When will all this so called PC stop….a minority with nothing else to do but dictate to others.

Reactions: Isabella

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

RIDICULOUS, RUBBISH, I am a proud Grandmother and Great Grandmother. I AM NOT a GRANDFRIEND.

Reactions: RTS

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

How ridiculous can they get. This woke crap has gone miles too far.

I love being a Grandma. I'm always willing to spend time with my grandchildren and they know that.
Our relationship is beyond friendship.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

For goodness sake leave it alone leave us grandparents to enjoy our grandchildren…who do these people think they are. Some other person on another site has suggest we change Mother’s Day to nurture day, NEVER leave us mothers and our Mother’s Day alone, and leave grandparents alone, my partners grandchildren call me nanny, they may not be my blood but as far as I’m concerned they are my grandchildren. The world has gone crazy.

I am a grandma, so it is grandparents day for me, I am not just a friend, so no grandfriends day would be the same for my grandkids. They share me around their friends who have no grandparents close enough or available to go to grandparents days and I am happy to be their friends adopted grandma for the occasion. The kids all love this. Why should any child’s grandparents day be spoilt just to cater to what is likely the minority in most schools, if other people don’t like our customs that have been around for centuries don’t expect us aussies to change to suit you, get involved or stay home.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

Grandparents are just that, no need to bend to woke nonsense!

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

Who thinks up this stupid woke nonsense I am a mother a grandmother a great grandmother & as a grandparent I say shove your silly WOKE nonsense & put your energy into something useful

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

They shou mind thegr
I’m disgusted with this rename I am my grandchildren’s grandparent and very proud to be so. Another political correctness move we don’t need
Teachers & schools should butt out. I am proud to be a grandma & if ever one of my grandchildren were told to call me Grandfriend the person who told them to would want to be able to run fast. How dare they. So if the children have pen pal wothe elderly peop. Via the school how about having pen pal day. Stay out of the name changing game on grandparents. As you can guess I am angry.

Reactions: Thecla
Just

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

another load of bull.... being thrown at us. We are Grandparents NOT grandfriends. Never heard such rubbish in all my life.

Reactions: Thecla
I use to attend my grand daughters school for everything even an opening of an envelope. When they changed it to grand friends day I no longer attended. I AM A GRAND PARENT!!! OTHERS WELCOME BUT PLEASE LEAVE US GRAND PARENTS THERE.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

This is so wrong!! I’m not a grand friend, I’m a grandparent and no school will tell me otherwise.

Oh FFS what is this world coming to!! These do- gooders are full of :poop: just leave, well enough alone and think of something more important to change, like the Medicare system for starters!

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

She said: ‘Spring Farm Public School used this term to promote their event as they had invited residents

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

from a local aged care facility who are pen pals with the students.’

Key Takeaways

• Many schools in NSW have replaced the term ‘Grandparents Day’ with ‘Grandfriends Day’ to be mor
  • Recently, there's been a lot of anger and frustration from Australians over the term 'grandfriends' being used in place of 'grandparents' at several school events.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

• e inclusive.