Why are grandparents now called 'grandfriends' at school events? Here's the controversial reason behind the new name

Recently, there's been a lot of anger and frustration from Australians over the term 'grandfriends' being used in place of 'grandparents' at several school events.

Apparently, this new word is seen as more 'inclusive', but many people are disagreeing – especially grandparents themselves!

So, what's the story? Here's everything you need to know about the situation...

It started when a couple of schools NSW schools – Spring Farm, Bradbury, Concord, Drummoyne, Gillieston, Heathcote East, Kiama, Neutral Bay and Newton to be exact – decided to change the name of ‘Grandparent’s Day’ to ‘Grandfriends Day’. This was done to be more ‘inclusive’, reports say.

But this decision ended up sparking outrage in people, most of whom believe that this change takes away the importance and the meaning of the special day.

grandparents.JPG
Some people say changing the name to ‘grandfriends’ is strange. Credit: RODNAE Productions in Pexels

Ian Barnett, the Founder of the National Grandparent Movement, said it was an ‘odd move’, and that rather than being inclusive, it ends up excluding ‘one of the most significant people in a child’s life’.

‘The implication behind that is, of course, if “grandparents” are now “grandfriends”, it means that the next logical step is that parents become “friends”.’

He added: ‘It’s strange to do it and I don’t know the reasoning behind it either.’

Grandparent’s Day is a special occasion that lets them join kids in school for morning tea, or lunch, or spend time with them in general. It’s a wonderful time to celebrate their relationship and strengthen their bond.

Schools have made the move to expand the name to ‘Grandparents and Grandfriends’ Day’ lately. But the decision to remove the term ‘grandparents’ altogether seems like the importance of the day has been watered down – which annoyed many people.

‘I can understand maybe that they want to make it easier for others to come on board,’ said Mr Barnett.

‘It’s such a significant phrase and concept, and it’s disappointing to actually think that we can no longer use that and we’re changing into something like “grandfriends”.’

grandparents1.JPG
Grandparents are an integral part of every child’s life. Credit: Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas in Pexels

Many were quick to oppose the use of the term ‘grandfriends’ and expressed their disbelief online.

‘What a load of rubbish,’ someone said.

One commented: ‘I am a very proud grandparent. I am so over all the “do-gooders” wanting to change history and relationships just to confuse and include and wrap everyone in cotton wool so that they don’t get offended.’

‘I am a very proud grandparent; my five grandchildren call me “Nonna”. Stop offending me,’ added another.

Another said: ‘Grandparents have knowledge and experience no one will ever have until they are mature enough and lived through life.’

‘They deserve, and all grandparents demand the utmost RESPECT this title holds,’ they added.

In defence, the NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell addressed the situation in one particular school.

She said: ‘Spring Farm Public School used this term to promote their event as they had invited residents from a local aged care facility who are pen pals with the students.’

You can watch the news report here:

Key Takeaways

• Many schools in NSW have replaced the term ‘Grandparents Day’ with ‘Grandfriends Day’ to be more inclusive.
  • Although the intention behind this change may be to include more people, many are angry at the change, as they feel it excludes grandparents from the title and ‘waters down’ the meaning of the special day.
  • Grandparents play an important role in a child's life and should be respected as such.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think it’s a wise move to rename the term Grandparent's Day to Grandfriend's Day to be more inclusive? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The first time anyone ever refers to me as being my grandchildren’s “Grandfriend” I will certainly give them a piece of my mind! How disrespectful! What’s next? Calling your parents your “birthfriends”? Just because you are in the minority of people who don’t have a descent relationship with your family members, does not give you the right to force your stupid lame-brained ideas onto the rest of the world! Yet another classic example of the younger generation‘s lack of social discipline. The individual who came up with this ridiculous notion should be reprimanded and counselled.
And don’t get me started on the lack of corporal punishment for children nowadays!
Not just reprimanded and counselled, the DH should be granted summary dismissal.

And yes corporal punishment. We did not have anywhere near as much crime, corruption, vandalism, disrespect, insolence, mental disorders, ADD, ADHD, Autism, Tourettes, alternative lifestyles etc. Why, because it was belted out of us and we were quickly cured. Simple, no drugs, no surgery, no brain washing.

Reactions: Ricci
Recently, there's been a lot of anger and frustration from Australians over the term 'grandfriends' being used in place of 'grandparents' at several school events.

Apparently, this new word is seen as more 'inclusive', but many people are disagreeing – especially grandparents themselves!

It started when a couple of schools NSW schools – Spring Farm, Bradbury, Concord, Drummoyne, Gillieston, Heathcote East, Kiama, Neutral Bay and Newton to be exact – decided to change the name of ‘Grandparent’s Day’ to ‘Grandfriends Day’. This was done to be more ‘inclusive’, reports say.

But this decision ended up sparking outrage in people, most of whom believe that this change takes away the importance and the meaning of the special day.

View attachment 8453
Some people say changing the name to ‘grandfriends’ is strange. Credit: RODNAE Productions in Pexels

Ian Barnett, the Founder of the National Grandparent Movement, said it was an ‘odd move’, and that rather than being inclusive, it ends up excluding ‘one of the most significant people in a child’s life’.

‘The implication behind that is, of course, if “grandparents” are now “grandfriends”, it means that the next logical step is that parents become “friends”.’

He added: ‘It’s strange to do it and I don’t know the reasoning behind it either.’

Grandparent’s Day is a special occasion that lets them join kids in school for morning tea, or lunch, or spend time with them in general. It’s a wonderful time to celebrate their relationship and strengthen their bond.

Schools have made the move to expand the name to ‘Grandparents and Grandfriends’ Day’ lately. But the decision to remove the term ‘grandparents’ altogether seems like the importance of the day has been watered down – which annoyed many people.

‘I can understand maybe that they want to make it easier for others to come on board,’ said Mr Barnett.

‘It’s such a significant phrase and concept, and it’s disappointing to actually think that we can no longer use that and we’re changing into something like “grandfriends”.’

View attachment 8454
Grandparents are an integral part of every child’s life. Credit: Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas in Pexels

Many were quick to oppose the use of the term ‘grandfriends’ and expressed their disbelief online.

One commented: ‘I am a very proud grandparent. I am so over all the “do-gooders” wanting to change history and relationships just to confuse and include and wrap everyone in cotton wool so that they don’t get offended.’

‘I am a very proud grandparent; my five grandchildren call me “Nonna”. Stop offending me,’ added another.

Another said: ‘Grandparents have knowledge and experience no one will ever have until they are mature enough and lived through life.’

‘They deserve, and all grandparents demand the utmost RESPECT this title holds,’ they added.

In defence, the NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell addressed the situation in one particular school.

She said: ‘Spring Farm Public School used this term to promote their event as they had invited residents from a local aged care facility who are pen pals with the students.’

Key Takeaways

• Many schools in NSW have replaced the term ‘Grandparents Day’ with ‘Grandfriends Day’ to be more inclusive.
  • Although the intention behind this change may be to include more people, many are angry at the change, as they feel it excludes grandparents from the title and ‘waters down’ the meaning of the special day.
  • Grandparents play an important role in a child's life and should be respected as such.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think it’s a wise move to rename the term Grandparent's Day to Grandfriend's Day to be more inclusive? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

This is what you get from this rainbow culture. I didn't vote for it.

Last edited:
Australia is becoming a debacle pandering to the minority. Leave things alone! Too much of who we are has been lost already.

When my grandchildren went to school it was called Grandparent's Day but children were told they could invite anyone who was like a grandparent to them and they had a discussion about the kind of people that it might include. We adults were sensible enough to understand that if we received an invitation we were considered someone who was like a grandparent to a child (whether we were in reality or not). There was no confusion. It is time we stopped trying to be all inclusive or politically correct. Children and their grandparents and 'grand friends' understand diversity, even if the powers that be don't.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

The term friend is understood as a term of endearment between two or more people, these people may have known each other for a long or short time. The fundamental idea of a grandparent includes not only a biological intimacy, but a pure emotional attachment with the children of your children. This can extent to adopted children and therefore step parents. If a step parent does not want to be refered to as Granparents, they can be friends without qualifying it with an unnecessary prefix of "Grand" which is applied to the former and not necessary in the latter. ..

My children’s school called it “Grandparents’ and special friends’ day”, as many children including my own had grandparents who lived overseas or interstate. We. Used to invite neighbours or other friends for the day. One year my parents-in-law were actually visiting from Scotland at the right time, and my children was stoked to have their real grandparents there for their special day at school .

What's wrong with these people that keep inciting these silly title/name-change decisions. It's exactly people that support this face a mandatory test of 500 questions and they need to each get 250 correct and that's allow them to vote in political elections. I'd love to write the questions and I can assure that I would not make it easy. Some people shouldn't even be allow to vote at all just because they turn 18.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

while I totally agree with most of the comments. Grandparents defines a ancestoral lineage. However I can understand that those children that do not have grandparents per se (whether by design or choice) should be able to include someone that truly reflects the grandparent experience that they are wanting.

Don't schools have anything better to do with their time and how dare they appoint themselves as keepers of our children?
This could only have been thought up by someone with nothing to do and a lot of time tin which o do it.
"Grandfriends" is extremely insulting and demeaning and lessens the feeling of pride derived from behind called a "grand" parent, someone who deserves to be honoured for bringing up by their children, are now enjoying standing aside and watching their children, impart their knowledge and skills to the next generation.

When will all this woke, politically correct b*lls**t end? Damned minorities FORCING their will on the general public. PLEASE!! GO AWAY!! Leave us sane people alone.

Grandma, Grandad, Nana, Pop .... and so it always will be.
I'm really tired of those who put forward such "cr*p".
We are really seeing a weakening of society.
being a Grandad alongside a Nana, I will not be around long but regret those we leave to lead the g/children.

I totally understand why this is happening. So many do not have “blood” grandparents but have older people step in where needed. A valuable support. But still need to call it Grandparents day.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

Sick to death of all this wokeness! If someone close to the family, who does not have actual grandparents, what is the harm if they attend as a de facto grandparent.

Reactions: Ricci and relljube

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

What a load of bull-pucky.

What a load of bull 💩 I really don’t know what this world is coming to.
becoming a grandparent was one of the most special days of my life.
Not everyone is fortunate enough to become a grandparent and l take the roll very seriously.
Children have lots of friends but grandparents are special.
Leave the name GRANDPARENTS alone.

These ideas seem to be endemic in the state school systems throughout Australia. Teachers are so lefty loonies that it makes one's blood boil. Leave the hell alone - stop with your stupid ideas. Heard enough about "inclusive" nonsence. Just treat people as human beings - that is all that is called for.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

What a load of crap. They don’t use he and she. Now no grandparents. Why not say grandparents and friends. 🤷‍♀️