Why are grandparents now called 'grandfriends' at school events? Here's the controversial reason behind the new name

Recently, there's been a lot of anger and frustration from Australians over the term 'grandfriends' being used in place of 'grandparents' at several school events.

Apparently, this new word is seen as more 'inclusive', but many people are disagreeing – especially grandparents themselves!

So, what's the story? Here's everything you need to know about the situation...

It started when a couple of schools NSW schools – Spring Farm, Bradbury, Concord, Drummoyne, Gillieston, Heathcote East, Kiama, Neutral Bay and Newton to be exact – decided to change the name of ‘Grandparent’s Day’ to ‘Grandfriends Day’. This was done to be more ‘inclusive’, reports say.

But this decision ended up sparking outrage in people, most of whom believe that this change takes away the importance and the meaning of the special day.

grandparents.JPG
Some people say changing the name to ‘grandfriends’ is strange. Credit: RODNAE Productions in Pexels

Ian Barnett, the Founder of the National Grandparent Movement, said it was an ‘odd move’, and that rather than being inclusive, it ends up excluding ‘one of the most significant people in a child’s life’.

‘The implication behind that is, of course, if “grandparents” are now “grandfriends”, it means that the next logical step is that parents become “friends”.’

He added: ‘It’s strange to do it and I don’t know the reasoning behind it either.’

Grandparent’s Day is a special occasion that lets them join kids in school for morning tea, or lunch, or spend time with them in general. It’s a wonderful time to celebrate their relationship and strengthen their bond.

Schools have made the move to expand the name to ‘Grandparents and Grandfriends’ Day’ lately. But the decision to remove the term ‘grandparents’ altogether seems like the importance of the day has been watered down – which annoyed many people.

‘I can understand maybe that they want to make it easier for others to come on board,’ said Mr Barnett.

‘It’s such a significant phrase and concept, and it’s disappointing to actually think that we can no longer use that and we’re changing into something like “grandfriends”.’

grandparents1.JPG
Grandparents are an integral part of every child’s life. Credit: Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas in Pexels

Many were quick to oppose the use of the term ‘grandfriends’ and expressed their disbelief online.

‘What a load of rubbish,’ someone said.

One commented: ‘I am a very proud grandparent. I am so over all the “do-gooders” wanting to change history and relationships just to confuse and include and wrap everyone in cotton wool so that they don’t get offended.’

‘I am a very proud grandparent; my five grandchildren call me “Nonna”. Stop offending me,’ added another.

Another said: ‘Grandparents have knowledge and experience no one will ever have until they are mature enough and lived through life.’

‘They deserve, and all grandparents demand the utmost RESPECT this title holds,’ they added.

In defence, the NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell addressed the situation in one particular school.

She said: ‘Spring Farm Public School used this term to promote their event as they had invited residents from a local aged care facility who are pen pals with the students.’

You can watch the news report here:

Key Takeaways

• Many schools in NSW have replaced the term ‘Grandparents Day’ with ‘Grandfriends Day’ to be more inclusive.
  • Although the intention behind this change may be to include more people, many are angry at the change, as they feel it excludes grandparents from the title and ‘waters down’ the meaning of the special day.
  • Grandparents play an important role in a child's life and should be respected as such.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think it’s a wise move to rename the term Grandparent's Day to Grandfriend's Day to be more inclusive? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
What an upside down world this has become. Same sex couples can be called "husband" and "wife". To their kids they're "Mother" and" Father" Yet grandparents have to be called "grandfriends". What brain-dead moron suggested this idea. They're determined to undermine all that's good about families. Maybe we should call same sex couples "friends", that wouldn't go down well. How would calling a grandparent a grandfriend be inclusive? Who would it include?

Another example of the loony left, woke brigade trying to become relevant.

No matter how many of these so called educated idiots try to push their agenda on to the public, I will continue to be ........ a very proud GRANDMOTHER.
FFS it has NOTHING to do with politics! People of varying political persuasions can be idiots and demand ridiculous things so stop trying to politicise this garbage.

Reactions: Ricci
Recently, there's been a lot of anger and frustration from Australians over the term 'grandfriends' being used in place of 'grandparents' at several school events.

Apparently, this new word is seen as more 'inclusive', but many people are disagreeing – especially grandparents themselves!

It started when a couple of schools NSW schools – Spring Farm, Bradbury, Concord, Drummoyne, Gillieston, Heathcote East, Kiama, Neutral Bay and Newton to be exact – decided to change the name of ‘Grandparent’s Day’ to ‘Grandfriends Day’. This was done to be more ‘inclusive’, reports say.

But this decision ended up sparking outrage in people, most of whom believe that this change takes away the importance and the meaning of the special day.

View attachment 8453
Some people say changing the name to ‘grandfriends’ is strange. Credit: RODNAE Productions in Pexels

Ian Barnett, the Founder of the National Grandparent Movement, said it was an ‘odd move’, and that rather than being inclusive, it ends up excluding ‘one of the most significant people in a child’s life’.

‘The implication behind that is, of course, if “grandparents” are now “grandfriends”, it means that the next logical step is that parents become “friends”.’

He added: ‘It’s strange to do it and I don’t know the reasoning behind it either.’

Grandparent’s Day is a special occasion that lets them join kids in school for morning tea, or lunch, or spend time with them in general. It’s a wonderful time to celebrate their relationship and strengthen their bond.

Schools have made the move to expand the name to ‘Grandparents and Grandfriends’ Day’ lately. But the decision to remove the term ‘grandparents’ altogether seems like the importance of the day has been watered down – which annoyed many people.

‘I can understand maybe that they want to make it easier for others to come on board,’ said Mr Barnett.

‘It’s such a significant phrase and concept, and it’s disappointing to actually think that we can no longer use that and we’re changing into something like “grandfriends”.’

View attachment 8454
Grandparents are an integral part of every child’s life. Credit: Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas in Pexels

Many were quick to oppose the use of the term ‘grandfriends’ and expressed their disbelief online.

One commented: ‘I am a very proud grandparent. I am so over all the “do-gooders” wanting to change history and relationships just to confuse and include and wrap everyone in cotton wool so that they don’t get offended.’

‘I am a very proud grandparent; my five grandchildren call me “Nonna”. Stop offending me,’ added another.

Another said: ‘Grandparents have knowledge and experience no one will ever have until they are mature enough and lived through life.’

‘They deserve, and all grandparents demand the utmost RESPECT this title holds,’ they added.

In defence, the NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell addressed the situation in one particular school.

She said: ‘Spring Farm Public School used this term to promote their event as they had invited residents from a local aged care facility who are pen pals with the students.’

Key Takeaways

• Many schools in NSW have replaced the term ‘Grandparents Day’ with ‘Grandfriends Day’ to be more inclusive.
  • Although the intention behind this change may be to include more people, many are angry at the change, as they feel it excludes grandparents from the title and ‘waters down’ the meaning of the special day.
  • Grandparents play an important role in a child's life and should be respected as such.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you think it’s a wise move to rename the term Grandparent's Day to Grandfriend's Day to be more inclusive? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Stop interfering in others lives it is ridiculous what we are being told to call each other. I am a mum, a nana and a wife.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

....stupid to say the least. It denies the heritage link for starters.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

What happens if people walk up and say I am your grand friend and chat to the children and get the child comfortable and try to take them away????? Etc

Those who bring up this stuff have no idea...(or maybe they do for nefarious reasons?) the operative word is "parent" and there is quite a difference between "parent" & "friend." Part of some of the problems we face in today's society is that many "parent(s)" have gone AWOL & have reappeared as "friends" (if they have reappeared at all?) Subsequently there has been no firm leadership & training for many of the younger generation in how to conduct themselves as future leaders in a positive way. "Friend" is a by-product that may (hopefully) come as a result of (good) parenting. Anyway....just sayin'.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I was so happy to become a grandma, and look forward to grandparents day in the future. I see no reason why it just can’t be grandparents and special friends, that would cover any child that needs/wants to invite another older person, without taking away from actual grandparents.🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Ricci and Loren

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

Absolutely stupid, crazy, moronic and lot of things that I cannot print.
Who was the moron that suggested this.?
Maybe he/she should be called grand %$# head

When is this political correctness going to stop, what is wrong with the terms Female, Male, Wife, Husband, Policeman, Policewoman, Mother, Father, Grandmother or Grandfather, I really do not understand. We are what we are.......when is commonsense returning to this Country?!!!!!!

The first time anyone ever refers to me as being my grandchildren’s “Grandfriend” I will certainly give them a piece of my mind! How disrespectful! What’s next? Calling your parents your “birthfriends”? Just because you are in the minority of people who don’t have a descent relationship with your family members, does not give you the right to force your stupid lame-brained ideas onto the rest of the world! Yet another classic example of the younger generation‘s lack of social discipline. The individual who came up with this ridiculous notion should be reprimanded and counselled.
And don’t get me started on the lack of corporal punishment for children nowadays!

Once again the loonies have been let loose, when is this rubbish going to stop. If you need to just add Grandfriends and Grandparents day if they are serious about being inclusive.

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

Wow, make sure that the snowflakes, the woke, the wannabees, and those that prefer strange and alternative lifestyles are not offended but bugger the the rest of us that are normal and by the way the vast majority. It appears that it is ok to offend us and we are supposed to just meekly accept that. This is nothing short of outrageous. Why are minorities allowed to dictate crap like this?

View attachment 8453

View attachment 8454

Key Takeaways

What is going on with our world. I am a grandparent and proud of it. I will not be changing to grandfriend. Absolutely ridiculous.

The de-gendering of the English language started with changing the definition of the Marriage Act from between a male and a female to between two persons. Once you change a major definition like that, there is a massive flow-on effect. It didn't stop with just degendering the Marriage Act, but insidiously permeated all aspects of society, hence "grandfriends" day plus, on a more serious level, the travesty of boys and girls being told and thinking they were born in the wrong body. Always was grandparents, always will be. Hold firm to old traditions. They're tried and true.

Goes with the simpletons who also want to ban clapping. They have never done anything worthwhile in their life to have achieved an appreciation by others. I am GrandPop and GrandPa, and I am very proud of what my Grand Children are achieving.

Reactions: Ricci and 4UMicki