Who's really at fault? Outrage over ‘entitled’ Coles supermarket shopper's checkout complaint

Self-serve checkouts have been a divisive topic since they were introduced to Australian supermarkets 15 years ago. Many people have chosen to avoid them at all costs, while others have embraced all the time-saving technology has to offer.

Most recently, the topic of supermarket checkouts has once again been thrust into the spotlight; this time, over the complaints of one Coles customer.

In a post on the popular social media site, the shopper voiced her disappointment at the fact that her local Coles supermarket always prefers to use self-serve checkouts rather than employing cashiers to man the registers, even though the store is 'always open'.

'When your stores are open and I come in to shop, I don’t want to serve myself,' the disgruntled customer wrote in the caption of her post.

'Stop being so tight and open a register.'

ddea0f42cfc776d823a0b0072a2bc0936159803f-4x3-x0y133w740h555.png

The Coles customer declared that she 'didn't want to serve myself'. Credit: Facebook.

It seems like she is not very fond of the self-serve checkout system that Coles introduced many years ago as it reduces the number of employees.

She also said that it’s the supermarket's fault for not giving the employees enough hours and responsibilities, leading to a lower chance of getting a job.

As could be expected, the shopper’s comments were met with a tide of criticism.

Many claimed that she was being 'entitled', pointing out the added step in the checkout process was actually a lot less than usual.

'I love how so many try to hide their brazen entitlement behind the straw man argument that "I want kids to have jobs" despite no one losing their jobs over self-checkout,' wrote one.

'Just admit you think you’re better than having to pack your own groceries.'

3718847691c53f54fab6aa16792fa2f5756255c2-4x3-x0y0w1333h1000.jpg

The complaint received criticisms from fellow shoppers. Credit: Reddit.

Another sarcastically asked: 'How do you cope with filling the car up with petrol? How do you cope with taking money out of an ATM?'

Others contested the shopper's assertions that self-serve checkouts were having an impact on young people's employment opportunities, instead, the personnel are just being transferred to positions that are more suited for the company.

One comment read: 'The same number of employees are still being employed, they’re just redistributed to other roles that are more useful for the business.'

'Then I guess you should look for somewhere else to shop! Has nothing to do with the store being ‘tight’, and everything to do with self-check being a better business model,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'The local kids still get jobs, picking and packing the shopping for home deliveries, stop being such a whinger.'

'I have worked at Coles for over 30 years and staff get distributed to either other departments or floated around to other stores. Sorry, but your assumption about staff losing their jobs is incorrect,' another added.

The customer responded to the criticism by claiming that other customers and staff shared her opinion.

She replied: 'The moment a register was opened, customers queued to be served.'

'The girl serving said that management won’t/don’t listen as they want to reduce staff and funnel customers through self-serve. Staff and hours have been reduced.'

So, who’s really in the wrong here? Is the shopper being “entitled” or are their customers’ and employees’ grievances valid?

Sponsored
Self-serve checkouts have been a divisive topic since they were introduced to Australian supermarkets 15 years ago. Many people have chosen to avoid them at all costs, while others have embraced all the time-saving technology has to offer.

Most recently, the topic of supermarket checkouts has once again been thrust into the spotlight; this time, over the complaints of one Coles customer.

In a post on the popular social media site, the shopper voiced her disappointment at the fact that her local Coles supermarket always prefers to use self-serve checkouts rather than employing cashiers to man the registers, even though the store is 'always open'.

'When your stores are open and I come in to shop, I don’t want to serve myself,' the disgruntled customer wrote in the caption of her post.

The Coles customer declared that she 'didn't want to serve myself'. Credit: Facebook.

It seems like she is not very fond of the self-serve checkout system that Coles introduced many years ago as it reduces the number of employees.

She also said that it’s the supermarket's fault for not giving the employees enough hours and responsibilities, leading to a lower chance of getting a job.

Many claimed that she was being 'entitled', pointing out the added step in the checkout process was actually a lot less than usual.

'I love how so many try to hide their brazen entitlement behind the straw man argument that "I want kids to have jobs" despite no one losing their jobs over self-checkout,' wrote one.

Another sarcastically asked: 'How do you cope with filling the car up with petrol? How do you cope with taking money out of an ATM?'

Others contested the shopper's assertions that self-serve checkouts were having an impact on young people's employment opportunities, instead, the personnel are just being transferred to positions that are more suited for the company.

One comment read: 'The same number of employees are still being employed, they’re just redistributed to other roles that are more useful for the business.'

'Then I guess you should look for somewhere else to shop! Has nothing to do with the store being ‘tight’, and everything to do with self-check being a better business model,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'The local kids still get jobs, picking and packing the shopping for home deliveries, stop being such a whinger.'

'I have worked at Coles for over 30 years and staff get distributed to either other departments or floated around to other stores. Sorry, but your assumption about staff losing their jobs is incorrect,' another added.

The customer responded to the criticism by claiming that other customers and staff shared her opinion.

'The girl serving said that management won’t/don’t listen as they want to reduce staff and funnel customers through self-serve. Staff and hours have been reduced.'

So, who’s really in the wrong here? Is the shopper being “entitled” or are their customers’ and employees’ grievances valid?

so having a broken arm and wearing a sling I needed someone to pack for me. As a paying customer I need a certain level of assistance. We stand at the self service checkout and the machine scanning our items which is great if it worked all the time however Coles system usually has me asking for help at least twice but at Woolworths I rarely need assistance. I look at the 14 or so checkout counters and only three or four are open. I am short so need assistance with items on the high shelf. There are very few store legends. My time is limited so being able to check in which aisle my item may be. So am I entitled or am I just wanting to have the best shopping experience possible in the shortest time.
Ellenni

At my local Coles you would be lucky to find just one register open. Most times everyone has to go through the self service area. That really does not concern me as I only usually pick up a few items, because I do all my main shopping at Aldi or Woolies.

I prefer the manned checkouts as it takes me much longer to go through the self service, especially when there are problems with the machines not accepting the product and I have to try to find a staff member to help. The employees are much quicker which saves me time and makes my shopping hassle-free! And it's so nice to have that cheery chat on what sometimes can be a dreary day! My main shop is at Aldis and has been for years. The few items I can't get there I then go to Coles or Woollies.

it is not being entitled to hope you can get assistance do these supermarkets charge less
if you use a self-service checkout

One of the reasons why I don't shop at Coles is the attitude that we all have to work for Coles so they can make a massive profit every year. When my local Coles introduced self-serve tills everyone was expected to use them in fact they actively pushed you towards them with the comment 'you are smart enough to use them' I don't work for any shop that has self-serve tills & would rather queue to wait for a real person.

I refuse to serve myself, self checkouts are doing away with jobs and I need help with packing. PLUS self checkouts do away with interaction with other humans.

Hi I know this is going to create a response but hear goes why i dont use self serve checkouts because the company (Coles Woolworths ) wont give me a staff discount as i am doing a employees job .every time i ask for a staff discount at the self serve the tell me it not company policy so i wait in line at the checkout and get put through by a employee HA HA

🤔well that explains why my delivery bags are so poorly packed, items squashed, cracked eggs and leaked milk😏
Wow! You actually get delivery?
As I write, at 09:00 Qld time I am awaiting delivery (most recent re-promise 12:30 today) for a delivery which was originally promised between 13:00 and 19:00 yesterday, which had not turned up by 20:00, and which (according to the Coles Order Tracker) was rescheduled to arrive between 21:40 and 22:40. At no stage did ANYBODY, Human or Robot, contact me; I had to do all the chasing, including calling a bored-sounding girlie on their 1800 number after 23:00 and being told "It's been delayed" ("Well, DUH!"), with delivery unlikely to occur before 01:00 (today!); she suggested re-contacting them in the morning, which I've done.
The goods only had to come from Mareeba, 35km away; I could have, in my time wasted so far by Coles, driven the round-trip, picked my own goods, paid for same and unloaded at home four or five times AND had a bloody good sleep.This is the first time I've ever requested Coles Delivery. In the absence of a substantial sweetener (like a $50 Gift-card?) to compensate my inconvenience, I'm really not confident there will be return trade.....

WTF is that BS about being to uppity to pack ones own groceries.... up yours!!!!!! WE ARE NOT PAID TO DO THAT...... TAKE 20 BUCKS OF THE TOTAL PRICE AND I WOULD HAPPILY PACK MY OWN... Are you quite happy to work for FREE then come to my place and build my raised garden beds, Mow the lawns etc etc...

I refuse to use self serve. I have noticed at Big W they don't seem to open a manned register until after 10 am. So I don't go in before that time. I could use self serve if I had to because I used to be a checkout chick until I retired. I just don't like them.

WTF is that BS about being to uppity to pack ones own groceries.... up yours!!!!!! WE ARE NOT PAID TO DO THAT...... TAKE 20 BUCKS OF THE TOTAL PRICE AND I WOULD HAPPILY PACK MY OWN... Are you quite happy to work for FREE then come to my place and build my raised garden beds, Mow the lawns etc etc...
Has anybody recently offered to have your baby?

Attachments

• That'sGold156.jpg
    That'sGold156.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Haha
Reactions: Ricci and Tipsy