Who's really at fault? Outrage over ‘entitled’ Coles supermarket shopper's checkout complaint

Self-serve checkouts have been a divisive topic since they were introduced to Australian supermarkets 15 years ago. Many people have chosen to avoid them at all costs, while others have embraced all the time-saving technology has to offer.

Most recently, the topic of supermarket checkouts has once again been thrust into the spotlight; this time, over the complaints of one Coles customer.

In a post on the popular social media site, the shopper voiced her disappointment at the fact that her local Coles supermarket always prefers to use self-serve checkouts rather than employing cashiers to man the registers, even though the store is 'always open'.

'When your stores are open and I come in to shop, I don’t want to serve myself,' the disgruntled customer wrote in the caption of her post.

'Stop being so tight and open a register.'

ddea0f42cfc776d823a0b0072a2bc0936159803f-4x3-x0y133w740h555.png

The Coles customer declared that she 'didn't want to serve myself'. Credit: Facebook.

It seems like she is not very fond of the self-serve checkout system that Coles introduced many years ago as it reduces the number of employees.

She also said that it’s the supermarket's fault for not giving the employees enough hours and responsibilities, leading to a lower chance of getting a job.

As could be expected, the shopper’s comments were met with a tide of criticism.

Many claimed that she was being 'entitled', pointing out the added step in the checkout process was actually a lot less than usual.

'I love how so many try to hide their brazen entitlement behind the straw man argument that "I want kids to have jobs" despite no one losing their jobs over self-checkout,' wrote one.

'Just admit you think you’re better than having to pack your own groceries.'

3718847691c53f54fab6aa16792fa2f5756255c2-4x3-x0y0w1333h1000.jpg

The complaint received criticisms from fellow shoppers. Credit: Reddit.

Another sarcastically asked: 'How do you cope with filling the car up with petrol? How do you cope with taking money out of an ATM?'

Others contested the shopper's assertions that self-serve checkouts were having an impact on young people's employment opportunities, instead, the personnel are just being transferred to positions that are more suited for the company.

One comment read: 'The same number of employees are still being employed, they’re just redistributed to other roles that are more useful for the business.'

'Then I guess you should look for somewhere else to shop! Has nothing to do with the store being ‘tight’, and everything to do with self-check being a better business model,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'The local kids still get jobs, picking and packing the shopping for home deliveries, stop being such a whinger.'

'I have worked at Coles for over 30 years and staff get distributed to either other departments or floated around to other stores. Sorry, but your assumption about staff losing their jobs is incorrect,' another added.

The customer responded to the criticism by claiming that other customers and staff shared her opinion.

She replied: 'The moment a register was opened, customers queued to be served.'

'The girl serving said that management won’t/don’t listen as they want to reduce staff and funnel customers through self-serve. Staff and hours have been reduced.'

So, who’s really in the wrong here? Is the shopper being “entitled” or are their customers’ and employees’ grievances valid?

Sponsored
Self serve checkouts ARE about reduction of costs and do result in job losses.

Technology costs less to maintain than people.

Supermarkets, banks and petrol stations to name a few use technology (self serve/internet) to reduce costs and maximise profits.

The comments made by people that staff is redeployed might hold true in cities although the supermarkets/banks/petrol stations should openly publish staff numbers pre tech and post tech installations. But they do not.

In regional/rural areas redeployment is trickier as there are less or usually no positions to redeploy to.

In 1994 I worked in a country town branch of a major bank. Staff numbered 33. I now live in a city but have gone back to the same country town on several occasions (2000, 2005, 2010 and the last visit was in 2020). The staff at the same branch was 6 by 2020.

The redundant staff members at that branch were not redeployed (nowhere to go). These people had to move away or reskill at their own cost.

Lack of disclosure by large scale employers like supermarkets/banks/petrol stations results in the community never knowing just exactly how many people lose their jobs when technology is installed to replace them.

And supermarkets/banks purposely leave checkouts and tellers unmanned to frustrate customers who stand in long queues. Customers are then forced to use the tech option (I was at an ANZ branch yesterday and stood in a queue for 27 minutes before being served).
What on earth has it got to do with you, or anybody that has nothing to do with the companies, how many staff companies want to employ?🙄I couldn't care less what companies want to do with their staff. I'm not in charge of them.

They're in business to make money, they're not charities. If they're not making enough money then they'll cut down on their expenses. The biggest expense in all companies are staff costs, so that's the first to cut. You said yourself about reducing costs and maximising profits. It's like you think companies are bad for doing that? Also sounds like you want petrol stations to have extra expense employing people to put petrol in your car for you? I prefer the petrol cheaper and do it myself.

I use self serve as much as possible as I prefer the speed of it. And I hope my local Woolies gets Scan&Go soon so I can just scan all my shopping as I go round and then just pay automatically at a dedicated checkout with no staff and leave. 👍

Reactions: Ricci
What on earth has it got to do with you, or anybody that has nothing to do with the companies, how many staff companies want to employ?🙄I couldn't care less what companies want to do with their staff. I'm not in charge of them.

They're in business to make money, they're not charities. If they're not making enough money then they'll cut down on their expenses. The biggest expense in all companies are staff costs, so that's the first to cut. You said yourself about reducing costs and maximising profits. It's like you think companies are bad for doing that? Also sounds like you want petrol stations to have extra expense employing people to put petrol in your car for you? I prefer the petrol cheaper and do it myself.

I use self serve as much as possible as I prefer the speed of it. And I hope my local Woolies gets Scan&Go soon so I can just scan all my shopping as I go round and then just pay automatically at a dedicated checkout with no staff and leave. 👍
You are only thinking of yourself. Some of us prefer to think of other people besides ourselves, such as our kids who need jobs. It is well known in the health industry that unemployment is detrimental to the health of the unemployed individual. Widespread unemployment has a negative impact on society, as well as being detrimental to the economy. Some of us can see beyond saving a buck or two at the checkout.

So the usual phrase "what about the kids". The kids will be fine. Most of them are very adaptable to what's going on. My son's company is making a lot of people redundant because of high staff costs and a fall in sales. And nothing to do with supermarkets or any new technology.

You best read through this. Not all doom and gloom like you think.

Oh you're so funny like the other sheep quoting the same old nonsense. 🙄

Self serve checkouts are customer service. It's called a choice for people. A lot of people prefer them if they've just got a few items to pay for. Obviously if you only had a few items you'd rather stand behind someone with a full trolley and wait ages as long as someone scans your goods for you?

And you, and the others with the same view, would rather the companies pay out millions of dollars in salaries just so they don't have to make someone redundant. 🙄

• Angry
Reactions: Helenmac and Ricci
Self-serve checkouts have been a divisive topic since they were introduced to Australian supermarkets 15 years ago. Many people have chosen to avoid them at all costs, while others have embraced all the time-saving technology has to offer.

Most recently, the topic of supermarket checkouts has once again been thrust into the spotlight; this time, over the complaints of one Coles customer.

In a post on the popular social media site, the shopper voiced her disappointment at the fact that her local Coles supermarket always prefers to use self-serve checkouts rather than employing cashiers to man the registers, even though the store is 'always open'.

'When your stores are open and I come in to shop, I don’t want to serve myself,' the disgruntled customer wrote in the caption of her post.

'Stop being so tight and open a register.'

ddea0f42cfc776d823a0b0072a2bc0936159803f-4x3-x0y133w740h555.png

The Coles customer declared that she 'didn't want to serve myself'. Credit: Facebook.

It seems like she is not very fond of the self-serve checkout system that Coles introduced many years ago as it reduces the number of employees.

She also said that it’s the supermarket's fault for not giving the employees enough hours and responsibilities, leading to a lower chance of getting a job.

As could be expected, the shopper’s comments were met with a tide of criticism.

Many claimed that she was being 'entitled', pointing out the added step in the checkout process was actually a lot less than usual.

'I love how so many try to hide their brazen entitlement behind the straw man argument that "I want kids to have jobs" despite no one losing their jobs over self-checkout,' wrote one.

'Just admit you think you’re better than having to pack your own groceries.'

3718847691c53f54fab6aa16792fa2f5756255c2-4x3-x0y0w1333h1000.jpg

The complaint received criticisms from fellow shoppers. Credit: Reddit.

Another sarcastically asked: 'How do you cope with filling the car up with petrol? How do you cope with taking money out of an ATM?'

Others contested the shopper's assertions that self-serve checkouts were having an impact on young people's employment opportunities, instead, the personnel are just being transferred to positions that are more suited for the company.

One comment read: 'The same number of employees are still being employed, they’re just redistributed to other roles that are more useful for the business.'

'Then I guess you should look for somewhere else to shop! Has nothing to do with the store being ‘tight’, and everything to do with self-check being a better business model,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'The local kids still get jobs, picking and packing the shopping for home deliveries, stop being such a whinger.'

'I have worked at Coles for over 30 years and staff get distributed to either other departments or floated around to other stores. Sorry, but your assumption about staff losing their jobs is incorrect,' another added.

The customer responded to the criticism by claiming that other customers and staff shared her opinion.

She replied: 'The moment a register was opened, customers queued to be served.'

'The girl serving said that management won’t/don’t listen as they want to reduce staff and funnel customers through self-serve. Staff and hours have been reduced.'

So, who’s really in the wrong here? Is the shopper being “entitled” or are their customers’ and employees’ grievances valid?

I'm a bit the same, I hate using the self-server registers at Woolies & Coles. I prefer a human serving me. Don't get me wrong I have no problems in packing my own bags (like I do when I visit Aldi). I am a woolies shopper overall and will always use a manned register as I prefer to see and talk to a human. My main problem with Woolies & Coles self-serve is the bay size (the sardine can), if it was like Aldi's where you put everything on the belt in one go, then you go to the other end and pack. But with all the twisting & bending in a very tight off centred space is a trial by pain for me as I have major neck & mid back damage. Yes, I hear you say "but you are still twisting & bending at Aldi. But I can tell you with Aldi its mainly just the bending and a whole lot less twisting and it's more of a controled bend as well. Plus, I like saying hello to my register person and exchange a little bit of small talk. And like the petrol stations, and yes, I fill my own car have done for years. But I remember the garage assistant in how they always had a nice smile, asked you if you needed your windows done or your oil and tyres checked. If you were driving through you could always ask about the town or directions (yes, I do own a car with a GPS). To me the garage assistant or the shopping centre was always the first contact of any place and you knew if they were nice then most of the town was nice.