'What's the deal?': Ruffled tradie questions hardware store’s pet policy

Stores and shopping centres have been more welcoming to our furry pals by introducing a pets-allowed policy.

Hardware giant Bunnings is no exception, as their pet-friendly rule has existed for over seven years.

However, some shoppers have a bone to pick on the paw-licy.

Recently, a 'grumpy' tradie took to social media to voice his frustration, sparking a flurry of responses from fellow Aussies.

'What's the deal with all the people taking their dogs to Bunnings?' the tradie wrote in a post.

'I get that it's allowed, but I don't understand the logic behind anyone wanting to bring their dog to a hardware store. The person went on to say that they find dogs in the hardware store "irritating and stupid".'

compressed-dog-at-bunnings.jpeg
Bunnings' pet policy has been in effect for seven years, allowing shoppers to take their pets along while shopping for home essentials. Image Credit: Facebook/Dogs of Bunnings

'It's bad enough with the amount of people who wander slowly and aimlessly, with seemingly no awareness that they're blocking the aisle. Now I find myself navigating around dogs,' he continued.

'I'm a cabinetmaker whose goal is to get in, get my s***, and get out. Am I so out of touch, or are the kids wrong here?'
The sentiment was echoed by others who shared their own experiences.

'It just seems like more trouble than it's worth allowing access,' one commenter wrote.

'They carry on, try to piss on everything, eat fertiliser, chew on random s***. It puts my anxiety through the roof. There's a time and place for dogs and shops are not it, unless it's a service animal,' another agreed with the tradie's sentiment.

On the flip side, some defend the policy.

'If my dog stays within the trolley and doesn't do any of the above, is that okay?' one wrote. 'I'd rather have him with me than leave him in the car.'

'The only reason to take a dog to Bunnings is if it's already in the car, and you're popping in to grab something quickly,' someone responded.

'The alternative is leaving the dog in the car, which is often unforgivable. Bunnings is not a social outing with or without a dog.'
Despite the social media buzz, Bunnings stood by its policy.

'We've been welcoming pets into our stores, and love the feedback from customers about how much they enjoy bringing them along when they're shopping with us,' Managing Director Mike Schneider shared.

The positive feedback led to the launch of Bunnings' Pets section—the shop's most significant category expansion in over two decades.

'The strong customer take-up of this offer has exceeded our expectations, underscoring the category's popularity and its resonance with pet owners,' Schneider added.

'Like many other retailers, we take a commonsense approach when welcoming pets into our stores. The feedback we receive shows that the vast majority of owners are respectful of other customers and our team when they're in the store.

Schneider also assured customers that Bunnings staff are always available to help if customers have any concerns about their shopping experience.

Bunnings’ pet-friendly policy could be a boon for pet owners, allowing them to combine a trip to the hardware store with a walk with their four-legged companion.

However, if you're not keen on navigating around pets while shopping, this policy might be a nuisance.

Respect and consideration for others are essential and should be kept in mind when planning to bring our furry pals along.
Key Takeaways

• A tradie ignited a social media debate over Bunnings' pets-allowed policy, expressing frustration with navigating around them during shopping trips.
  • Some Australians agreed with the tradie, questioning the practicality of bringing pets to a busy store. In contrast, others defended the practice under certain conditions.
  • Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider stated that they're satisfied with how pets and their owners behave in stores and have no plans to change their pet-friendly policy.
  • Bunnings' pet-friendly policy has been in place for about seven years, and has also helped the launch of the store's Pets section.
What are your thoughts on the Bunnings dog policy? Have you had any experiences with pets in the store? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
They have a worse policy. Staff are not allowed to challenge customers, if they suspect theft. How many people steal, and walk away. Every honest customer, is paying the price. Bunnings has millions of dollars in theft annually. Do you think this is fair?

A dog is your pet to enjoy and care for but the idea that every body else likes your pet and wants them to be by them is wrong ; over the years I have realized many dog lovers to not understand many people do not like dogs or cats. and would not choose to go near them. Customers should be able to go shopping without the stress of being near a dog. Bunnings only allow it because they make more profits from selling pet food and also assume all staff like dogs. Love your dogs care for your dogs but not in shops .

Can you imagine if every second person had their dog or cat with them while shopping in bunnings!

What about the people who's pets are horses ect would they be allowed to take them . Or what about people who have rats as pets !!!

I love animals but seriously take them to a park to run around not a shop.

My daughter is seriously allergic to dogs apparently it's the drool.
This is why we nolonger have dogs 🐕.

This person want to get on with life I take my dog to Bunnings and she loves it she seats in the trolley and does no harm I suppose you’re one of the traders that chain you dog to the back of your Ute and anoy every one that goes by get on with life some dogs are better than humans

Personally, I agree. Why is it that people feel the need to take their dog everywhere they go. Walking down the street where I live has become ‘dodge the dog& leash’ with owners being clueless! I had a person come into the shop where I work and ask for a bowl of water because their dog was thirty and hot! Bizarre!

A legal question. Who is responsible should one of these dogs that are in Bunnings bites someone and also who is responsible should a dog leave a deposit in store and someone slips on it and injuries themselves, who is responsible for medical costs

If you know you have to go to Bunnings (or any other shop, for that matter) for goodness sake take another person with you who can remain in the car with the dog. Just looking at a dog can occasionally result in it ‘snapping’. Not all, mind you. Most people, but not all, have respect for others by tying their pooches up outside shopping centres.

Assistance dogs definitely should be exempt from an owner taking the dog along. Dog parks are the place for an outing or exercising a dog. Is a dog so tightly tied to one’s apron strings? Does the dog sleep in the owner’s bed at night also? Yuck, all that smell, the dog’s body and mouth odour and even possibly the dog’s urine because it just has not been trained to do it outside, or the owner cannot be disturbed at night.

I have had a passer-by leave their dog’s excrement in my bin while passing my home. This last is just not acceptable. Sure it was picked up by the owner and in a plastic bag but couldn’t he/she have taken it back home and used their own bin? Walking meant the owner had to return home on foot so what was so hard for them to take it back in that bag? Probably would have made their bin stink, just as badly as mine did just overnight. My bin is for my use and is put on the kerb for collection by the council not there to put a dog’s excrement in. Have respect for others in shops, and while walking your dog and by not using someone else’s bin for your filth, please.

They have a worse policy. Staff are not allowed to challenge customers, if they suspect theft. How many people steal, and walk away. Every honest customer, is paying the price. Bunnings has millions of dollars in theft annually. Do you think this is fair?
Staff should not be responsible for challenging customers if they suspect theft. That is the job of a security guard who is trained for the job & knows how to defend himself if the customer gets agro. If I was working in any store where it was possible for customers to steal goods, I would not challenge them. If the store doesn't want to employ security guards then that's their problem.

If having to walk past a dog in Bunnings is so tragic that a tradie has to spend his precious time complaining about it, what sort of a tradie is he? I'm sure he would face bigger problems at his workplace, like crawling around under a building in the mud, or around a hot roof space, or handling sewerage covered items, or dealing with obnoxious customers, etc.
I think he's just getting old and grumpy, where he sees problems everywhere. Maybe he should get a dog to complain to, because dogs are better at consoling, than people are.

A legal question. Who is responsible should one of these dogs that are in Bunnings bites someone and also who is responsible should a dog leave a deposit in store and someone slips on it and injuries themselves, who is responsible for medical costs
I’m sure there will be two cases to answer - one by Bunnings for allowing the dog inside in a closed environment where there are many people moving about in narrow aisles just wide enough for two trolleys to pass in the first place and a second and, much more importantly, the owner for not responsibly cleaning up the mess or keeping the dog properly and tightly restrained so it could not bite anyone. Besides I don’t think I would like to place my purchases in the same trolley if I saw a dog previously in that particular one. Those trolleys are not cleaned thoroughly, if at all. This last statement goes for shopping trolleys also that are not cleaned which is why we have so many people contracting illnesses.

I am an absolute animal lover, l have a beautiful little rescue dog. I believe there is a time and place for pets. Sorry l might get a slap down, but l don't believe there is a need to take dogs to Bunnings unless it is a service dog. There are children and like the tradie said some people need to get in and get out. As in a tradesperson, time is very important to them. No matter how great your dog is, what if it came across another dog it took a dislike to bang it's on. A child could approach a dog and the dog could snap, even though the dog has always been well behaved. Dogs can get scared feel cornered overwhelmed and bang a snap. Our pets mean the world to us but we have to be sensible and respectful of others. Not everyone likes animals, which l truly don't understand but l respect that.
Another place l am not keen for dogs is at markets, again people walk slowly looking at stalls not watching who or what is coming towards them. Little children can be at eye height of dogs and dogs don't like being stared at that can cause a nasty reaction. No one wants a disaster on a shopping experience. Kind regards to all Vicki