'What's the deal?': Ruffled tradie questions hardware store’s pet policy

Stores and shopping centres have been more welcoming to our furry pals by introducing a pets-allowed policy.

Hardware giant Bunnings is no exception, as their pet-friendly rule has existed for over seven years.

However, some shoppers have a bone to pick on the paw-licy.

Recently, a 'grumpy' tradie took to social media to voice his frustration, sparking a flurry of responses from fellow Aussies.

'What's the deal with all the people taking their dogs to Bunnings?' the tradie wrote in a post.

'I get that it's allowed, but I don't understand the logic behind anyone wanting to bring their dog to a hardware store. The person went on to say that they find dogs in the hardware store "irritating and stupid".'

compressed-dog-at-bunnings.jpeg
Bunnings' pet policy has been in effect for seven years, allowing shoppers to take their pets along while shopping for home essentials. Image Credit: Facebook/Dogs of Bunnings

'It's bad enough with the amount of people who wander slowly and aimlessly, with seemingly no awareness that they're blocking the aisle. Now I find myself navigating around dogs,' he continued.

'I'm a cabinetmaker whose goal is to get in, get my s***, and get out. Am I so out of touch, or are the kids wrong here?'
The sentiment was echoed by others who shared their own experiences.

'It just seems like more trouble than it's worth allowing access,' one commenter wrote.

'They carry on, try to piss on everything, eat fertiliser, chew on random s***. It puts my anxiety through the roof. There's a time and place for dogs and shops are not it, unless it's a service animal,' another agreed with the tradie's sentiment.

On the flip side, some defend the policy.

'If my dog stays within the trolley and doesn't do any of the above, is that okay?' one wrote. 'I'd rather have him with me than leave him in the car.'

'The only reason to take a dog to Bunnings is if it's already in the car, and you're popping in to grab something quickly,' someone responded.

'The alternative is leaving the dog in the car, which is often unforgivable. Bunnings is not a social outing with or without a dog.'
Despite the social media buzz, Bunnings stood by its policy.

'We've been welcoming pets into our stores, and love the feedback from customers about how much they enjoy bringing them along when they're shopping with us,' Managing Director Mike Schneider shared.

The positive feedback led to the launch of Bunnings' Pets section—the shop's most significant category expansion in over two decades.

'The strong customer take-up of this offer has exceeded our expectations, underscoring the category's popularity and its resonance with pet owners,' Schneider added.

'Like many other retailers, we take a commonsense approach when welcoming pets into our stores. The feedback we receive shows that the vast majority of owners are respectful of other customers and our team when they're in the store.

Schneider also assured customers that Bunnings staff are always available to help if customers have any concerns about their shopping experience.

Bunnings’ pet-friendly policy could be a boon for pet owners, allowing them to combine a trip to the hardware store with a walk with their four-legged companion.

However, if you're not keen on navigating around pets while shopping, this policy might be a nuisance.

Respect and consideration for others are essential and should be kept in mind when planning to bring our furry pals along.
Key Takeaways

• A tradie ignited a social media debate over Bunnings' pets-allowed policy, expressing frustration with navigating around them during shopping trips.
  • Some Australians agreed with the tradie, questioning the practicality of bringing pets to a busy store. In contrast, others defended the practice under certain conditions.
  • Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider stated that they're satisfied with how pets and their owners behave in stores and have no plans to change their pet-friendly policy.
  • Bunnings' pet-friendly policy has been in place for about seven years, and has also helped the launch of the store's Pets section.
What are your thoughts on the Bunnings dog policy? Have you had any experiences with pets in the store? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
Have Bunnings taken into account the amount of people that are allergic to dogs ? Could this lead to class action against all stores that allow pets.

Reactions: ladytilly
Dogs don't belong in Bunnings. Many people are allergic to or scared of dogs. If you want to spend quality time with your furbaby take them to the park, for a walk or just play with them at home. As a wise worker Bunnings told me "don't ever buy anything from the first few rows of the bottom shelf"
Wise words

We have a festival every year where I live and people are asked "Not" to bring dogs. A total waste of time...dogs all over the place. I dont go any more as I am afraid of falling over one and breaking limbs.

Not a fan of dogs in Bunnings or any store, they put small dogs in trolleys and people have to use the trolley
to put small children in, after dogs have licked handles and also had their dirty bums in them. Find somewhere else to take the dogs, plenty of parks around to take them to.

Unbelievable.... dogs in strollers, dogs in carts, dogs everywhere.... it's a hardware store... one day my husband and I went to get some renovation supplies, but the exit was blocked by 2 ladies yakking away with their dogs also checking each other out.... when my husband asked them to move out of the way so we could get the trolley to the car, he was rudely told he was rude..... go figure.

Reactions: Rob44 and ladytilly
I don't have an issue with people and their pets in Bunnings but I have seen a lot of other animals. Dogs I can understand, taking your rabbit, duck or Guinea pig, I cannot see any reason to take them. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old boomer.

Reactions: IAN3005
I have wondered or years why it necessary to take a dog shopping. I find them annoying and the owners seem to worry about them more than other shoppers. Service dogs - no issue. Give the dog a break - leave it aa home

I am not a Tradie, but I am a dog owner. However, I must agree with the tradies, Bunnings is not the place for dogs, unless it is an assistance dog. It is difficult enough to get around Bunnings with people wandering aimlessly around, and the dogs just add to that. I always make a list of what I need, check on my phone which isle and bay each item is in at my local Bunnings, then get in and out as fast as I can.

Reactions: ladytilly
I am an absolute animal lover, l have a beautiful little rescue dog. I believe there is a time and place for pets. Sorry l might get a slap down, but l don't believe there is a need to take dogs to Bunnings unless it is a service dog. There are children and like the tradie said some people need to get in and get out. As in a tradesperson, time is very important to them. No matter how great your dog is, what if it came across another dog it took a dislike to bang it's on. A child could approach a dog and the dog could snap, even though the dog has always been well behaved. Dogs can get scared feel cornered overwhelmed and bang a snap. Our pets mean the world to us but we have to be sensible and respectful of others. Not everyone likes animals, which l truly don't understand but l respect that.
Another place l am not keen for dogs is at markets, again people walk slowly looking at stalls not watching who or what is coming towards them. Little children can be at eye height of dogs and dogs don't like being stared at that can cause a nasty reaction. No one wants a disaster on a shopping experience. Kind regards to all Vicki
I totally agree Vicki, I also have had dogs for many years & as much as I have loved all my dogs, & I've had
a few rescue dogs, there is a time & place for them all & Bunnings is not it or any supermarket either. If they could talk I'm sure they would agree also.Trish

Reactions: Catherines
I like to take my dog to Bunnings so I have someone to consult with when I am trying to decide what I should get! I have never seen a problem with a dog in Bunnings. I have seen a number of problems with small children. Maybe they should ban small children from the store.

Reactions: IAN3005 and Greg350
Bunnings used to do a good line in hot dogs run by a local charity

i am with the tradie. if a pet is needed it is for company at home, not out shopping where there are people who, like me have to stay away from animals with fur. AND as for having a dog in a cart that is just disgusting. Has the bloody dog lost its legs? A BIG FAT NO FROM ME.

Some people just like to complain. I take my well behaved staffy with me everywhere but if need be she comes in to Bunnings with me. She is my comfort dog as I suffer bad anxiety & PTSD. She absolutely luvs Bunnings & so do I. You just don't judge people as you don't know their story.

Reactions: Greg350
Bunnings Mackay QLD don't provide bicycle racks to park/lock up bikes. Ample space all around the building.

I can't understand the reasoning behind people who take their dog everywhere, attached by an invisible umbilical cord. Do these "essential" furry friends attend a hospital while the owner undergoes surgery?

I suppose my pet African Elephant won't be going to a Bunnings any time in the future. He's too big to fit in a trolley!
Or your giraffe, Veggiepatch. It’s neck will be able to see over the top of everyone else & you will then miss out on all the goings on around you! Lol. Enjoy your day & stay away from those pampered pooches next time you shop Bunnings.

I guess it's not as bad as people who go shopping smelling like they've been swimming in pig shit and haven't showered of 6 months, assuming they don't take their dog in the same condition.
My husband gets upset with me when I comment (to him) about the body odour of some people, but it stinks out the whole aisle they’ve been in whether that be in Bunnings, a liquor shop or a supermarket. So I know how you feel.

I’m sure there will be two cases to answer - one by Bunnings for allowing the dog inside in a closed environment where there are many people moving about in narrow aisles just wide enough for two trolleys to pass in the first place and a second and, much more importantly, the owner for not responsibly cleaning up the mess or keeping the dog properly and tightly restrained so it could not bite anyone. Besides I don’t think I would like to place my purchases in the same trolley if I saw a dog previously in that particular one. Those trolleys are not cleaned thoroughly, if at all. This last statement goes for shopping trolleys also that are not cleaned which is why we have so many people contracting illnesses.
lf a dog is well trained it won't mess anywhere and if it's on a lead there should be no problem. As for the smaller dogs in the trolleys l don't think thast right as most dogs do smell and have droopy saliva perhaps on the seat would be better.Same with parents that put their children in the trolley and not on the seat.Quite disgusting really when you put your food in it

Reactions: Catherines
I am an absolute animal lover, l have a beautiful little rescue dog. I believe there is a time and place for pets. Sorry l might get a slap down, but l don't believe there is a need to take dogs to Bunnings unless it is a service dog. There are children and like the tradie said some people need to get in and get out. As in a tradesperson, time is very important to them. No matter how great your dog is, what if it came across another dog it took a dislike to bang it's on. A child could approach a dog and the dog could snap, even though the dog has always been well behaved. Dogs can get scared feel cornered overwhelmed and bang a snap. Our pets mean the world to us but we have to be sensible and respectful of others. Not everyone likes animals, which l truly don't understand but l respect that.
Another place l am not keen for dogs is at markets, again people walk slowly looking at stalls not watching who or what is coming towards them. Little children can be at eye height of dogs and dogs don't like being stared at that can cause a nasty reaction. No one wants a disaster on a shopping experience. Kind regards to all Vicki
Exactly! Well said 👍