SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What's a childhood fear that you conquered as an adult?

Hello, members! You may know by now that I'm a huge fan of everything horror, and while Halloween isn't something we would typically celebrate in Australia, I thought it would be fun to put our own wholesome, and, hopefully, rewarding twist to it. So today, I'd love for all of us to share a childhood fear that we conquered as adults. I'd be happy to share mine, but it's so bizarre, so please try not to laugh at me! :ROFLMAO:

photo-1483193722442-5422d99849bc.jpg
Source: Unsplash

As a child, I had a severe fear of rain. Yes, of all things, rain... I did mention it was quite bizarre, right? :ROFLMAO: The sound of raindrops tapping on my school's windows at the time would send shivers down my spine, and the sight of dark, overcast skies filled me with anxiety.

As I got older, I realised that this may have stemmed from when an intense tropical cyclone led to classes getting suspended, and little Sethia thinking she was abandoned as she waited hours for her family to pick her up from school. So whenever the rain would come, I would feel scared that it was going to happen again. Of course, I've gotten over it eventually, and now find comfort in it. It's a nice reminder that we can overcome even the most irrational fears and emerge stronger, wiser, and more appreciative of the world around us!

Okay, it's YOUR turn to share. If you'd like to join in on the fun, please feel free to leave a comment down below!

Hello, members! You may know by now that I'm a huge fan of everything horror, and while Halloween isn't something we would typically celebrate in Australia, I thought it would be fun to put our own wholesome, and, hopefully, rewarding twist to it. So today, I'd love for all of us to share a childhood fear that we conquered as adults. I'd be happy to share mine, but it's so bizarre, so please try not to laugh at me! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 31449

As a child, I had a severe fear of rain. Yes, of all things, rain... I did mention it was quite bizarre, right? :ROFLMAO: The sound of raindrops tapping on my school's windows at the time would send shivers down my spine, and the sight of dark, overcast skies filled me with anxiety.

As I got older, I realised that this may have stemmed from when an intense tropical cyclone led to classes getting suspended, and little Sethia thinking she was abandoned as she waited hours for her family to pick her up from school. So whenever the rain would come, I would feel scared that it was going to happen again. Of course, I've gotten over it eventually, and now find comfort in it. It's a nice reminder that we can overcome even the most irrational fears and emerge stronger, wiser, and more appreciative of the world around us!

Okay, it's YOUR turn to share. If you'd like to join in on the fun, please feel free to leave a comment down below!
The boogeyman under the bed.we used to leap from the bedroom door to the bed to avoid the boogeyman grabbing our leg.🙀it was a horrible feeling when your a child.😁

Mine is the same but different, mine was also the boogeyman.When my parents had a party, we were told if we went outside in the dark the boogeyman would get us. This affected me for years with anything relating to going out In the Dark alone.
It is so strange, but powerful anyway. Children are so impressed by many things. After all we trust our parents right!!!!???

Mine is the same but different, mine was also the boogeyman.When my parents had a party, we were told if we went outside in the dark the boogeyman would get us. This affected me for years with anything relating to going out In the Dark alone.
It is so strange, but powerful anyway. Children are so impressed by many things. After all we trust our parents right!!!!???
Oh yeah I’m petrified of the dark now I live alone. Never used to be now I don’t go outside in the dark no matter what😁

View attachment 31449

I had a fear of elevators , in David Jones City store, even now I wont get in a lift by myself and if I get in and try to do it without anyone else in the lift I quickly rush out before the door closes. In Hospital lifts i am even worse and take the stairs even if its 5 flights ! High rise apartment , I have to get my friends to come down and accompany me to their floor I am now 70 tears old and still scared!!!!!!!!

I had a fear of elevators , in David Jones City store, even now I wont get in a lift by myself and if I get in and try to do it without anyone else in the lift I quickly rush out before the door closes. In Hospital lifts i am even worse and take the stairs even if its 5 flights ! High rise apartment , I have to get my friends to come down and accompany me to their floor I am now 70 tears old and still scared!!!!!!!!
I hate lifts and swimming in deep water where I can’t see the bottom.

Last edited:
As a nine year old, I was trapped in a lift at my Dad's work on a Saturday afternoon in a 26 storey ANZ building in Sydney's CBD. All alone!
It was stuck between the 4th and 5th floors, and when Dad found me in what seemed hours later. He used an iron bar to jimmy the doors open just enough for me to climb out.
Funny thing is it didn't make me fear lifts later in life.

As a nine year old, I was trapped in a lift at my Dad's work on a Saturday afternoon in a 26 storey ANZ building in Sydney's CBD. All alone!
It was stuck between the 4th and 5th floors, and when Dad found me in what seemed hours later. He used an iron bar to jimmy the doors open just enough for me to climb out.
Funny thing is it didn't make me fear lifts later in life.
I once ran down 10 flights of stairs when the smoke alarms went off. I had visions of the movie towering inferno.🙀

I've had 8 foot hammerhead sharks swim underneath my surfboard, bitten by a funnel web spider and handled numerous red bellied black snakes. No worries!
But since I was a little kid, I'm petrified of dragonflies. I even fractured my cheekbone trying to swat one with a 3 iron and I hit a steel picket when the head flew off. 🤪

I've had 8 foot hammerhead sharks swim underneath my surfboard, bitten by a funnel web spider and handled numerous red bellied black snakes. No worries!
But since I was a little kid, I'm petrified of dragonflies. I even fractured my cheekbone trying to swat one with a 3 iron and I hit a steel picket when the head flew off. 🤪
Was the spider under the toilet seat🙀ouch

As a child I had a morbid fear of being barefoot and/or shirtless. It wasn’t until I was about 16 that I finally discovered the joy and freedom. Since then, even in winter, I often go barefoot and shirtless, much to the alarm and disbelief of my neighbours and friends. ☺️

Reactions: sarahpup00
I was always afraid of the dentist to the point of when the dentist saw my name on his roster for the day, HE would take a pill to calm him down! My parents always fought over who would take me for an appointment. One time, to try and keep me in the chair, the dentist virtually sat over me with one knee either side. I was able to get my knees up to my chest, put my feet against his chest, and sent him flying across the room! Very happy to say that these days I have an amazing dentist who is very understanding, and I have no more fear of the dentist.

I’m still afraid of storms especially the loud clap of thunder and the bright flash of lightning both letting you know it is very near your location; I’m better now but still somewhat afraid. My worst fear still is a fear of birds - I won’t go outside into my garden without my husband beside me & I'm now 78!

I’m still afraid of storms especially the loud clap of thunder and the bright flash of lightning both letting you know it is very near your location; I’m better now but still somewhat afraid. My worst fear still is a fear of birds - I won’t go outside into my garden without my husband beside me & I'm now 78!
You’d hate the old classic” the 🦅 s” by Alfred Hitchcock then 🙀

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I was always afraid of the dentist to the point of when the dentist saw my name on his roster for the day, HE would take a pill to calm him down! My parents always fought over who would take me for an appointment. One time, to try and keep me in the chair, the dentist virtually sat over me with one knee either side. I was able to get my knees up to my chest, put my feet against his chest, and sent him flying across the room! Very happy to say that these days I have an amazing dentist who is very understanding, and I have no more fear of the dentist.
I still hate the dentist😁

• Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch