What things do Aussies think are major money wasters in the modern-day?

Many people are rethinking their spending habits these days. With the COVID-19 pandemic and now inflation, it has become important, more than ever, to maximise the power of your savings.

But are you sabotaging your attempts at managing your finances by buying these ‘money-wasting’ items?

A user from the social news website Reddit asked Australian Personal Finance forum members what they thought was a waste of money. Obviously, this is going to be up to personal preferences and values.

They said: ‘What is something a lot of people buy but is a waste of money in your opinion? And what is something you can't believe people spend money on?’

They included their answer: ‘For me, it’s cigarettes. They’re basically burning money.’

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW), Australians spend an average of $13 per week on tobacco products, which include cigarettes. The main reasons Australians smoked was for personal enjoyment and relaxation. While there has been a downward trend in the frequency of smoking in the past decades, tobacco use is still the leading cause of cancer in the country, holding 44 per cent of the cancer burden.

pexels-gustavo-fring-4017434.jpg
Using an e-cigarette, or ‘vaping’, has become a popular cigarette alternative. However, it is illegal to sell e-cigarettes with nicotine in the country. Credit: Gustavo Fring/Pexels

Other Redditors joined the discussion to share their thoughts.

One wrote: ‘For me, it’s expensive clothes for babies and kids. They’re just going to grow out of them in a few months anyway.’

A response to the comment said: ‘I understand from friends that it is incredibly easy to get perfect second-hand baby clothes for this exact reason.’

Having babies is expensive. The Australian Institute of Family Studies found that in the first year, parents have spent between $3,000 to $13,000 on baby essentials. Because of this, many parents are opting to go for secondhand items instead of getting all brand-new products. Others have loved ones who provide hand-me-down clothes, cots, car seats, and other necessary items.

Another Redditor said: ‘Gambling. Hilariously, a sports betting ad is actually showing for me on this thread telling me to “Go on, have a dabble”. No thanks, I’d rather keep my money.’

One user pointed out that gambling is actually a pressing issue: ‘Australians seem to lose the most money per capita to gambling in the world. And the gambling lobby has a lot of money and influence in politics. It's scary. It doesn't help that the government can make good money taxing it, even without lobbying.’

Estimates say that Australians lost approximately $25 billion back in 2018-19, and that was only on legal venues for gambling. But besides the financial losses, gambling can also impact mental health, relationships, and productivity, a toll that was estimated to reach $7 billion in Victoria alone.

However, one Redditor suggests that it is not gambling alone that should be blamed: ‘It depends on how you look at it. If you gamble to win money, like it's some form of income, it's a slippery slope to a very tragic ending.’ For some, gambling can be a form of participation in certain interests: ‘I like to make small bets on sports I'm already watching to make it more interesting. Throwing $2 on anytime a scorer is great, it makes me really want him to get the ball, etc. I basically count the money as spent to increase my engagement with a sport.’

Are we really a nation of gamblers? Watch this ABC feature that discusses just that:

Another answer said that upgrading gadgets annually is a waste of money. They commented: ‘New iPhones last like four years easily without a problem. I change my iPhone every three years, though, but I could go on for another year easy on it.’

Aussies change their phones every 3.5 years, on average, but Baby Boomers hold onto their phones even longer. This may be a good thing, especially when we see a yearly electronic waste of at least 20-25 million tons. Australians usually replace gadgets once their phone contracts are up, but it’s completely fine to stick with your device as long as it works as needed.

So folks, what do you think? Are they any purchases that you consider to be not worth your dollars? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I can relate and agree with all Redditor’s opinions, especially about cigarettes because they are really expensive. It’s $40 on average! Now it’s cheaper to buy tobacco, paper, and filters and roll your own cigarettes.
And buying expensive clothes for kids is a waste too because in a month or two they will grow out of it and the clothes will probably be thrown away. I get it when people who are rich, like some people from the Wealthy Living list, do it, but it’s totally irrelevant for regular people. Your kids will be fine in usual kid’s clothes, and I think they don’t care about it that much.

Last edited:
I think gambling is the greatest waste of money, it also hurts people, not just the gambler but the family and friends as well. We all know that in the long run gamblers can't win. A lot of people get sucked in and lives are ruined. I'm a firm believer that all gambling advertising should be banned.:(

I think buying anything that you really don't need that sits in the cupboard as soon as you take it home.

Another is cigarettes, total waste of money during the time you are buying them and even later when your medical bills need to be paid due to emphysema or lung cancer.

Gambling is another. It's ok when you win but you lose more than you win and it's so addictive.

Cigarette smoking and gambling are addictions. If they don't give you pleasure then they are a waste of money....depends on how you view spending money.

And as for spending $13/week on cigarettes that would equate to 2 per day! Why bother....

Tattoos. Usually hideous, frequently regretted, always affected by Gravity. That "Tropic Island Sunrise" over your coccyx in twenty years time will more closely resemble a giant Squid trying to devour a Dolphin. In my young days, Police kept an Index of Tattoos and Piercings specifically to facilitate the identification of suspects; nowadays it's more likely to be an index of Cleanskins! Don't get me started on all the "Hard-Luck" stories of people, like a close friend of my spouse, in her forties, who has been knocked back several times for a bank housing loan (even when the banks were practically giving money away before the interest-rate hikes) after fronting for Loan interviews with both arms, shoulders, cleavage and half her back covered in several thousand dollars' worth of ink; it would help if she held a steady job, too, but that's another hurdle made unnecessarily difficult when you look like a graffitied viaduct... She might as well have had a bone through her nose.

Cigarette smoking and gambling are addictions. If they don't give you pleasure then they are a waste of money....depends on how you view spending money.

And as for spending $13/week on cigarettes that would equate to 2 per day! Why bother....
I think cigarettes are now around $40 a pkt, from what I've noticed people smoke a lot more than 2 a day, our neighbour is outside smoking 8- 10 times a day that I happen to see.

Reactions: Zoya, RTS and Ricci
Most of the items mentioned so far are “biggies” - cigarettes, gambling, tattoos … how about alcohol? I’m not talking about for parties, I’m talking about the 3-4 per night consumption. I’ve been amazed at how many of my friends do this!

For me, I’d say craft items. When I start a new hobby, I tend to want “all the things” - then as passion fades or moves on to different skills, I find myself giving away boxes of perfectly usable, often very beautiful items.

Another thing would be getting your nails done weekly or fornightly. I started getting my feet done monthly because mobility issues meant I couldn’t care for my feet properly. I ended up getting fingernails done every 3wks, too. But then I got a fungal infection in both finger- and toe- nails … and CoVid happened. Now I’ve worked through my allergies, including acetone, and I buy a $20 bottle of quality nail glue and use it with $5-10 stick-ons, mostly bought online for my fingers. I get a pedicure about 6wkly, and my daughter applies Sally Hansen nail polish for me.

Food would be another area where *I* think we spend more than we should. When I did the cooking, I shopped to a budget, and cooked for the number in the household. I’d quickly learned that my husband wasn’t good with leftovers! Now, because of my health, he does most of the cooking, and he’s been working from home for near 3yrs, so he’s got much better with eating leftovers, which is great, because he always cooks for an army! Still, I think of my mum, who used every last piece of meat, vegetable, and bread, had a permaculture garden, rendered meat off-cuts, and barely half-filled our old tin garbage can each week, which wasn’t even half the size of our red-topped modern-day garbage bin.

My parents were teenagers-young adults during the Great Depression, and I still think of many of their old sayings to keep me sensible (mostly) with my spending.

Looks like l have to bother. I buy by the carton and it is around $275 per week. Have tried several things to try and give up but just can't do it :(

Spending $2m on New Year’s Eve Fireworks.. What about the pollution to the atmosphere?? Thousands of chemicals floating in the air.. and people complain about smoking.. and no thoughts about pets that are petrified of the noise.. It’s about time councils woke up and listened..how about laser shows or drones???

Many people are rethinking their spending habits these days. With the COVID-19 pandemic and now inflation, it has become important, more than ever, to maximise the power of your savings.

But are you sabotaging your attempts at managing your finances by buying these ‘money-wasting’ items?

A user from the social news website Reddit asked Australian Personal Finance forum members what they thought was a waste of money. Obviously, this is going to be up to personal preferences and values.

They said: ‘What is something a lot of people buy but is a waste of money in your opinion? And what is something you can't believe people spend money on?’

They included their answer: ‘For me, it’s cigarettes. They’re basically burning money.’

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW), Australians spend an average of $13 per week on tobacco products, which include cigarettes. The main reasons Australians smoked was for personal enjoyment and relaxation. While there has been a downward trend in the frequency of smoking in the past decades, tobacco use is still the leading cause of cancer in the country, holding 44 per cent of the cancer burden.

View attachment 7131
Using an e-cigarette, or ‘vaping’, has become a popular cigarette alternative. However, it is illegal to sell e-cigarettes with nicotine in the country. Credit: Gustavo Fring/Pexels

One wrote: ‘For me, it’s expensive clothes for babies and kids. They’re just going to grow out of them in a few months anyway.’

A response to the comment said: ‘I understand from friends that it is incredibly easy to get perfect second-hand baby clothes for this exact reason.’

Having babies is expensive. The Australian Institute of Family Studies found that in the first year, parents have spent between $3,000 to $13,000 on baby essentials. Because of this, many parents are opting to go for secondhand items instead of getting all brand-new products. Others have loved ones who provide hand-me-down clothes, cots, car seats, and other necessary items.

Another Redditor said: ‘Gambling. Hilariously, a sports betting ad is actually showing for me on this thread telling me to “Go on, have a dabble”. No thanks, I’d rather keep my money.’

One user pointed out that gambling is actually a pressing issue: ‘Australians seem to lose the most money per capita to gambling in the world. And the gambling lobby has a lot of money and influence in politics. It's scary. It doesn't help that the government can make good money taxing it, even without lobbying.’

Estimates say that Australians lost approximately $25 billion back in 2018-19, and that was only on legal venues for gambling. But besides the financial losses, gambling can also impact mental health, relationships, and productivity, a toll that was estimated to reach $7 billion in Victoria alone.

However, one Redditor suggests that it is not gambling alone that should be blamed: ‘It depends on how you look at it. If you gamble to win money, like it's some form of income, it's a slippery slope to a very tragic ending.’ For some, gambling can be a form of participation in certain interests: ‘I like to make small bets on sports I'm already watching to make it more interesting. Throwing $2 on anytime a scorer is great, it makes me really want him to get the ball, etc. I basically count the money as spent to increase my engagement with a sport.’

Are we really a nation of gamblers? Watch this ABC feature that discusses just that:

Another answer said that upgrading gadgets annually is a waste of money. They commented: ‘New iPhones last like four years easily without a problem. I change my iPhone every three years, though, but I could go on for another year easy on it.’

Aussies change their phones every 3.5 years, on average, but Baby Boomers hold onto their phones even longer. This may be a good thing, especially when we see a yearly electronic waste of at least 20-25 million tons. Australians usually replace gadgets once their phone contracts are up, but it’s completely fine to stick with your device as long as it works as needed.

So folks, what do you think? Are they any purchases that you consider to be not worth your dollars? Let us know in the comments below!

For us a daily cup of restaurant coffee for would be a waste of approximately $10 per day but we are happy to spend the equivalent buy wine and enjoy a social drink in the evenings.

View attachment 7131

Plastic water bottles see people with 24 bottles in their shopping trolleys and they probably buy that amount every week

Plastic water bottles see people with 24 bottles in their shopping trolleys and they probably buy that amount every week
So often, this water is in a type of plastic bottles, which are carcinogenic and have been outlawed in quite a few countries.

Try to drink water out of a glass bottle or filtered tap water if on town water; then out of a softer plastic bottle... Notice the difference.

Find milk products even more noticeable....

Wishing all a great jump into 2023. Positive thoughts are so vital in life.

The thing is individuals will buy what they want so nothing is a waste what is a waste to one person might be a hobby to someone else personally I would not listen to anyone telling me I'm wasting my money each to their own