In later primary years I had a girlfriend whose mother always made her plain or curried egg sandwiches which she hated. As I had to make my own lunch (no fresh baked goodies for me) she would tell me what she wanted, jam, peanut paste or vegimite & we would swap. To this day I still love egg sandwiches.
This is very sweet! It's almost like the two of you were fated to be friends, with one having what the other needed/wanted and freely giving it :giggle:

Reactions: Ricci
It's not something, that I ever talk about, but back around 1965 when I was in grade 7 at Brentwood primary school (W.A) Murray hicks, (His father was a bikie) brought his dads entire collection of miniature alcohol bottles to school.

Evidently his Parents had had another very bad alcohol fueled domestic, so Murray took about thirty miniature bottles, his dad's entire alcohol collection, out of the cabinet and brought them to school.

And so, when the teacher stepped out. Murray stood up and made an end of year announcement and began handing and throwing them out a couple of people lined up.

I think mine was Tia maria, but I'm not certain, as there was a lot of different types consumed rather quickly on that day.

By the time our English teacher returned, we were all quite sozzled because we had swapped drinks between each other, and some had downed at least three bottles. The girls were the most hilarious because they were also doing something totally out of character.

After that bonding session, we all got on much better. We all got the cuts too so that also cemented the memory.

I know I know that was terrible thing for children to do.

Little Johnny Pink really was a naughty boy (some of those stories are true) in my innocence, however. I remember it was the first time in seven years that I fitted in with "THE GANG".

Peer pressure, I had too, downing the drinks was something that those young aussie larrikins felt, was the thing to do.

For a lot of children and their parents and the teachers involved, it was a memorable thing and well, it was quite funny too as I recall.

The room had lift up desks back then and a couple of fellow classmates' boys and girls raised them up high and had repeatedly chanted, the sound beruughh!

The rest of the class were splayed on their seats and giggling, it was straight out of a comedy movie, and I was a glassy eyed character playing my part in it. It's not a thing a young person can easily forget and yes it would be recorded in the school register.

I got seriously scolded when I got home, as I feel sure everyone did. This happened on the last day, after we had all sat for our end of year exams. And I know I will most probably be scolded for saying it. But it certainly finished off the end of 7 years of school, on a high note.

THE GANG never worried about me after that, as the years moved on. I lived in a tough Neiborhood back then, gunshot sounds, people screaming at each other, things smashing, cars revving etc. were common sounds.

I wanted no part of the local gang culture (up to fifteen pushbikes) and it had caused problems, so in a way that bonding session must've got them thinking, let's leave the weird kid, Johnny Pink alone, he's alright.

(I posted this childhood memory at first, that we had lined up however, I remembered the incident and have corrected it)

Last edited:
One fond memory amongst many I have is when the class elected me and a young boy who was developmentally impaired, his speech and co ordination weren’t good and he struggled to cope with learning, as class captains. They were being nasty to me as I wore glasses and had freckles so they thought I was “not as good as them”. Well one of our jobs was to monitor the class behaviour while the teacher was out of the classroom, and write the names of pupils whose behaviour wasn’t as expected on the blackboard. We did this with a vengeance much to the disgust of our fellow students. Taught them a valuable lesson about picking on people just because they were ?different. Every one of the class had their names put on the board multiple times during our six months as captains. Most of them started to behave as expected during this time, they got sick of getting detention or into trouble before we got sick of writing their names on the board. Payback was so sweet, taught them all not to mess with us again.

Mum must have been so proud then! :D
I loved my mum, however no she never did express her being proud of me. And yet I could list where I made a high achievement, on every line of an A4 page without effort.

I couldn't reach my mother as she was not near the phone, but I rang my father once, from the phone in the wings of the Sydney Opera house for a prominent event I was in.

I told him I'm just ringing dad, so you'll wish me luck, I told him where I was and what I was about to do and he said "Oh I have to go" and hung up. ha ha ha.

Not everyone gets supportive parents, it's the luck of the draw. Both of mine were from orphanage's when they met and they both had terrible times with Nuns and Brothers, so once I found this out as a kid, I understood.

They did their best (RiP)

Hello everyone. My memory goes all the way back to1966, I was 7years young. At Pinewood Primary School, Melborne,the recess bell went. I remember I always go to the toilet. I heard all this screaming. Some naughty boys had thrown worms inthe girls toilet. No one wanted to go in. Some girls didn't mine treading on them or were they in desparet need to pee. A teacher came along & found 2 boys to clear the worms from the girls toilet. The boys were not happy. They did a good job, they made the girls smile. As for the boys that dumped the worms, the boys that cleared, threw them at them.
This memory is at the same school, same year, same age. The pinewood primary school had outside open wooden sheds with seats. Every second friday my sister would the fish chips meal from the takeaway shop, which was the canteen for the school. yummy of course.
This memory is also from the same school. In our class I can remember being a milk monitor. The task was to place a straw in each of the 200ml of white cream milk, pink was stawberry, & brown was chocolate. I always had the cream milk. I'm a baby boomer, the government provided the milk for us.
We didn't have computers. all excercise books, hand writing.
I remember a highshool memroy. Dickson High School, Canberra. 15 years of age. i was doing biology. My project that had to do, handwriting on a big sheet of cartdboard & drawings. It was all about snail's life, breeding. Not my favourite. I hate treading on them & hear the crunch. Yuk! I think I got a gold star.My memories go back to age 2. Amazing. Chrystal clear. I'm 64years young. Bye everyone, be kind to yourselves.

At the beginning of year ten in high school, a new girl was introduced to the class. She had just arrived from Ireland and knew no-one. I had a spare seat next to me and indicated she should sit there. We became best friends and basically inseparable. We are still best friends - and that was over fifty years ago. She lives a couple of hours away and we don't see each other as often as we would like. However, when we do get together, it's like we saw each other yesterday and it's like we are continuing the same conversation.

Hello everyone. My memory goes all the way back to1966, I was 7years young. At Pinewood Primary School, Melborne,the recess bell went. I remember I always go to the toilet. I heard all this screaming. Some naughty boys had thrown worms inthe girls toilet. No one wanted to go in. Some girls didn't mine treading on them or were they in desparet need to pee. A teacher came along & found 2 boys to clear the worms from the girls toilet. The boys were not happy. They did a good job, they made the girls smile. As for the boys that dumped the worms, the boys that cleared, threw them at them.
This memory is at the same school, same year, same age. The pinewood primary school had outside open wooden sheds with seats. Every second friday my sister would the fish chips meal from the takeaway shop, which was the canteen for the school. yummy of course.
This memory is also from the same school. In our class I can remember being a milk monitor. The task was to place a straw in each of the 200ml of white cream milk, pink was stawberry, & brown was chocolate. I always had the cream milk. I'm a baby boomer, the government provided the milk for us.
I remember a highshool memroy. Dickson High School, Canberra. 15 years of age. i was doing biology. My project that had to do, handwriting on a big sheet of cartdboard & drawings. It was all about snail's life, breeding. Not my favourite. I hate treading on them & hear the crunch. Yuk! I think I got a gold star.My memories go back to age 2. Amazing. Chrystal clear. I'm 64years young. Bye everyone, be kind to yourselves.
I liked that the boys that cleared out the worms, chased the boys that did this with them.

It's not something, that I ever talk about, but back around 1965 when I was in grade 7 at Brentwood primary school (W.A) Murray hicks, (His father was a bikie) brought his dads entire collection of miniature alcohol bottles to school.

Evidently his Parents had had another very bad alcohol fueled domestic, so Murray took about thirty miniature bottles, his dad's entire alcohol collection, out of the cabinet and brought them to school.

And so, when the teacher stepped out. Murray stood up and made an end of year announcement and began handing and throwing them out a couple of people lined up.

I think mine was Tia maria, but I'm not certain, as there was a lot of different types consumed rather quickly on that day.

By the time our English teacher returned, we were all quite sozzled because we had swapped drinks between each other, and some had downed at least three bottles. The girls were the most hilarious because they were also doing something totally out of character.

After that bonding session, we all got on much better. We all got the cuts too so that also cemented the memory.

I know I know that was terrible thing for children to do.

Little Johnny Pink really was a naughty boy (some of those stories are true) in my innocence, however. I remember it was the first time in seven years that I fitted in with "THE GANG".

Peer pressure, I had too, downing the drinks was something that those young aussie larrikins felt, was the thing to do.

For a lot of children and their parents and the teachers involved, it was a memorable thing and well, it was quite funny too as I recall.

The room had lift up desks back then and a couple of fellow classmates' boys and girls raised them up high and had repeatedly chanted, the sound beruughh!

The rest of the class were splayed on their seats and giggling, it was straight out of a comedy movie, and I was a glassy eyed character playing my part in it. It's not a thing a young person can easily forget and yes it would be recorded in the school register.

I got seriously scolded when I got home, as I feel sure everyone did. This happened on the last day, after we had all sat for our end of year exams. And I know I will most probably be scolded for saying it. But it certainly finished off the end of 7 years of school, on a high note.

THE GANG never worried about me after that, as the years moved on. I lived in a tough Neiborhood back then, gunshot sounds, people screaming at each other, things smashing, cars revving etc. were common sounds.

I wanted no part of the local gang culture (up to fifteen pushbikes) and it had caused problems, so in a way that bonding session must've got them thinking, let's leave the weird kid, Johnny Pink alone, he's alright.

(I posted this childhood memory at first, that we had lined up however, I remembered the incident and have corrected it)
That's another thing about school --- the pressure to fit in was always so 'addicting', if you will, once you started becoming 'belonging'.

One fond memory amongst many I have is when the class elected me and a young boy who was developmentally impaired, his speech and co ordination weren’t good and he struggled to cope with learning, as class captains. They were being nasty to me as I wore glasses and had freckles so they thought I was “not as good as them”. Well one of our jobs was to monitor the class behaviour while the teacher was out of the classroom, and write the names of pupils whose behaviour wasn’t as expected on the blackboard. We did this with a vengeance much to the disgust of our fellow students. Taught them a valuable lesson about picking on people just because they were ?different. Every one of the class had their names put on the board multiple times during our six months as captains. Most of them started to behave as expected during this time, they got sick of getting detention or into trouble before we got sick of writing their names on the board. Payback was so sweet, taught them all not to mess with us again.
Who doesn't love it when the meanies get their due! Loved reading 'Payback was so sweet, taught them all not to mess with us again.' 💪

I loved my mum, however no she never did express her being proud of me. And yet I could list where I made a high achievement, on every line of an A4 page without effort.

I couldn't reach my mother as she was not near the phone, but I rang my father once, from the phone in the wings of the Sydney Opera house for a prominent event I was in.

I told him I'm just ringing dad, so you'll wish me luck, I told him where I was and what I was about to do and he said "Oh I have to go" and hung up. ha ha ha.

Not everyone gets supportive parents, it's the luck of the draw. Both of mine were from orphanage's when they met and they both had terrible times with Nuns and Brothers, so once I found this out as a kid, I understood.

They did their best (RiP)
'They did their best' is perhaps something any parent would love for their kids to say of them one day... What a way to tug at the heartstrings...

Really appreciate these snippets of a life a long time ago, @Jenelle Maree! I was wondering why on Earth would the boys have done that, but it's probably that phase of being a boy where they grow horns and be little rascals... Good thing most of us outgrow it :ROFLMAO: That, or maybe we just get better at hiding them, haha!

At the beginning of year ten in high school, a new girl was introduced to the class. She had just arrived from Ireland and knew no-one. I had a spare seat next to me and indicated she should sit there. We became best friends and basically inseparable. We are still best friends - and that was over fifty years ago. She lives a couple of hours away and we don't see each other as often as we would like. However, when we do get together, it's like we saw each other yesterday and it's like we are continuing the same conversation.
Friendships like your warm my heart always @katdragon2010. I find that time can be vicious especially with relationships --- but then again there are those like yours that it only makes stronger ☺️

That's another thing about school --- the pressure to fit in was always so 'addicting', if you will, once you started becoming 'belonging'.
I didn't fit in because I stood out. I was the fattest kid in my class after grade five, when I developed a blood clot issue from being sprigged at footy.

I was on doctors' orders, not to do anything at all aerobic, that continued through high school. I was short sighted and from grade 5 to seven I had to wear my aunt Edna's ridiculous tortoise shell glasses as we were very poor.

I am HIGHLY right brain minded and had no aptitude at all for numbers and because both parents came from Orphanages, I never ever even in high school, ever attended a class of religious instruction.

I sat by myself for years in Craft rooms or read in libraries while everyone else formed long lasting friendships.

So, no playing sport, no swimming, no attendance to religion and no brains made quite the combination and to top it off, Johnny Pink was a VERY uncool name to have back then.

My bombastic nature used comedy to fit in and then finally in grade 7 because I joined in with everyone in a bit of hilarious mischief, the GANG I didn't want to join, finally accepted me.

Yep, Fitting in can be tough as a little kid.

My best friends and I decided miss school as it was a hot day we went to north Sydney Olympic pool only to find that our school swimming team were there to practice.so we had to hide out till they left so not a good day was had by us never did it again😹

I was late for school often, not by a lot but there were days when I barely made it before the bell I had been warned.
So, this one morning, as I do clearly recall, when I awoke, opened my eyes, and the sun was streaming in, I thought nooooo.
I got dressed, grabbed my school bag, super quickly made my lunch. (We all made our own lunches) then rushed outside and standing up on the pedals I spurred my bike forwards. Down around the shopping center I raced, down around the sweeping bend, past the local swampland, then it's an all upwards, go through the gears journey up Mt Pleasant hill.

Once there finally and panting heavily at the top, it was a racing meander through the streets, until finally I charged around the corner and discovered, that it was a Saturday.

My bike chain was starting to feel loose riding up, but riding back but I was feeling a bit despondent at first and then a bit embarrassed and then, totally elated as it was SATURDAY YAAAY!

So right before the Top of Mt Pleasant hill I cranked it through all the gears and then screamed down it and fast as I could go.

And yep, then my chain came off. The speed was confronting because the very steep hill was accelerating me faster than I had ever been before. The real worry was the busy Saturday morning traffic at the bottom of the hill that I was fast approaching.

With no way to go, but down, and no way to stop in time, I just hung on and somehow, I BLASTED straight through the middle of the mayhem of cars going in both direction and went over the road into the swamp past the height of my axles and tipped over, filling my top opened school bag and all of my schoolbooks in it with water.

I reckon I should have stayed in bed.

• Haha
What is the most unforgettable story from your school days?

Hey members! 😊

How have you all been? I missed our get-to-know sessions. And with that, I’m here to give a life update.

I’ve been sleeping like a champion these past few weeks, and the dreams that come with it are pure magic. :love: Just last night, I was transported to the carefree days of my primary school, surrounded by classmates eagerly opening our lunch boxes filled with homemade treats and trading snacks with gleeful abandon. As I opened my lunch box surrounded by classmates, the giggles, the enticing aroma of homemade treats, and the thrill of swapping snacks flooded my senses, transporting me back to a cherished era of childhood wonder.

To be honest, that dream kept popping up in my dreams every now and then. Perhaps, it’s a core memory?

But enough about me—I want to hear YOUR incredible stories! What is the most unforgettable tale from your school days? Was it a hilarious mishap during a science experiment, an epic adventure on the playground, or a heartwarming moment of friendship? Let’s embark on this journey down memory lane together. ;)

View attachment 22395
Credits: Pexels

I have a tale of 2 mates at school, from grade 2 to high school. Let me shorten the story my best friend and I went through these classes together always sat next to eachother until teacher's accused me or Barry for cheating ,we got moved me at the front Barry at the back. Come end of year exams either Barry or myself always ended up with same marks usually 98% or 99% as at our school you could not get 100%, it did not matter what subject, math science ,being an area school we did woodwork and sheetmetal work the same result, unfortunately my best friend meet his fate in am accident, but still have very fond memories of him and school days.

Reactions: Ricci and Pink lion
I remember muck up day in year 12 when we all dressed up as Bonnie and Clyde (and this was a girls high school!) and held up all the classes for a donation to charity. We also put up signs on teacher's offices. The maths teacher Mr Scott got Scott's Pies ( with the maths symbol) and on the staff room door - Bread is the Staff of Life but this Staff's life is one big loaf! We didn't get into trouble but had a lot of fun!

Reactions: Pink lion and Ricci
As with so many otters here there were so many moments that one could sit and write a Novel.I went to Holland Park State School and then Cavendish Road High School and then to College. While at High School I received the cane that many times I have lost count. At Primary I was one of the Milk Boys carrying the little milk bottles around. At High School my Friends and I picked up our Music Teachers little car and hid it in one of the Alleyways.Never found out she moved it you could open the doors.And again in Primary School I placed a Dead Toad in a Girls Book and she screamed hen she opened it. The Teacher made me pick up anything dead or rubbish for a week. I also learnt how to forge my Mother's signature so letters to home from School I would sign until she found one one day. So many memories.

I remember when I went to pre school , 5 yrs of age , my brother was 18 months older and in year 1 . The preschool was not attached to the primary school , but close by . We biked every day to school , about 5 km one way , back home for lunch and in the afternoon another trip to school and back . This was 6 days a week , as Saturdays we went to school until lunch. The 2 children from our neighbours went as well , so there were always the 4 of us.
One day it was very cold in Winter like - 20 degrees -this was in The Netherlands - . Our neighbour brought us to school by car and arriving at the pre school the heater was not working , all the kids were sent home.
I could not go home as I was dropped off and had no bike . The teacher said “I will bring you home” . So she did on the back of her pushbike , she asked me several times if it was much further and thought that I did not know how to get home and told her every time that it is a lot further.
We finally arrived home and the teacher had to sit down for a while and warming up in front of the stove. Years later I wondered why she never asked if I had a sibling at the primary school or to contact my parents , they did had a phone and they had a car as well . Would have saved this teacher a lot of trouble.

Reactions: Pink lion and Ricci