What is something your mum used to say to you when you were a kid?

Hey members!

How have you all been? I have another fun question for you today. With Mother's Day just around the corner, it got me thinking about the countless memories and stories we have of our incredible mums. I want to know: what is something your mother used to say to you when you were a kid that still sticks with you today? Maybe it was a phrase that always made you feel better when you were feeling down or some sage advice that you still live by. Or perhaps it was just a funny expression that always made you laugh. Whatever it was, let's take a moment to share it and celebrate the fantastic women who have supported us through thick and thin.

Something my mother used to say to me when I did not like my food as a kid was, 'There are children starving all over the world; eat your dinner’. I knew it was just her way of getting me to eat my vegetables, but I couldn't help but feel guilty for not finishing what was on my plate.

Now it’s your turn. Share your stories with us in the comments below.

View attachment 18453
Credits: Unsplash

My Mum said a lot of those things along with ‘ if you don’t stop crying I will really give you something to cry about’. She never did of course.😊

Reactions: Ricci
Growing up in a European Swiss home many sayings were in a foreign language so impossible to translate without losing something in translation but one which I can was - if I made a nasty or silly face it would stay that way when the clocks chimed, and having two parents both watch and clock fixers, our house had lots of chiming going on.

Hubby's asked me to mention one his dad would say when they would ask where he was going " There and back again to see how far it is"

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
This loungeroom is not a gymnasium.

You're a dirty looking ticket!....often when I have come home from playing footy in the park!..age about 5 to 8 yrs.

If I was slow in getting ready to go out anywhere, my mum used to say “You’ll meet yourself coming back if you don’t get a move on.” It used to scare the heck out of me!

Go ask your dad for the money, I love to see the moths fly out of his wallet.

& Don't go out dressed like that - you'll catch your death.

If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something to cry for.

When I got hurt and cried: Be a brave soldier. (My father was overseas in the Australian army.)

So, when my wonderful wife of 55 years died, I never cried.

Not my mum, but a high school PT/sportsmaster surnamed Nicholson in the 1950s.
To him, every student was a "wretched child" He walked around all day holding a cane in his hand - one end wound with string for a hand grip. But the kids loved him. An example of a conversation: in summer I went swimming at the Granville Olympic Pool on sports' afternoon. This day I had a cold, so approached him in the staff room and proffered a note from home requesting exemption.
He glared at me, "Are ya spittin' blood and bitsa lung?" No sir. "You haven't gotta cold. Get outta me sight, ya wretched child. " Which being interpreted meant "Off you go, sonny".
So I just walked to the station and caught the train home.
I could recount dozens of statements that would not be regarded as politically correct now.

Mum used some interesting words.. Bijingo!! and codswallop. My favourite was "a wigwam for a goose's bridal"😂 ,if we asked what something was that we weren't supposed to know.
My mum used to say that, usually when asked something she didn't know, or she would say "Ask your father when he gets home......thereby brushing it past.

What is something your mum used to say to you when you were a kid?

Hey members!

How have you all been? I have another fun question for you today. With Mother's Day just around the corner, it got me thinking about the countless memories and stories we have of our incredible mums. I want to know: what is something your mother used to say to you when you were a kid that still sticks with you today? Maybe it was a phrase that always made you feel better when you were feeling down or some sage advice that you still live by. Or perhaps it was just a funny expression that always made you laugh. Whatever it was, let's take a moment to share it and celebrate the fantastic women who have supported us through thick and thin.

Something my mother used to say to me when I did not like my food as a kid was, 'There are children starving all over the world; eat your dinner’. I knew it was just her way of getting me to eat my vegetables, but I couldn't help but feel guilty for not finishing what was on my plate.

Now it’s your turn. Share your stories with us in the comments below.

View attachment 18453
Credits: Unsplash

My own mother passed when I was only 7 yrs old, after liver cancer. Unfortunately, this means I cannot even remember her!

• Sad
When things went wrong she would say
“Piss poop kuk shit fart”
And when I asked where someone was
“They went mad and the cops shot em”