What is Quiet Hour at Woolworths?

Going to the supermarket for groceries is a task that is, more often than not, stressful and overwhelming. But for people who suffer from sensory overload, have specific needs, or suffer from crowd and noise anxiety, grocery shopping can be incredibly daunting.

That’s why, with those concerns in mind, the supermarket giant Woolworths has extended its customer service to those with these conditions by introducing Quiet Hour.

Quiet Hour takes place from 10:30 am to 11:30 am daily at select Woolworths branches nationwide. During this time, the entire store will:
  • Turn off bakery ovens or chicken cooker buzzers
  • Reduce the volume on store phones and registers on the trading floor
  • Clear the store’s entryways
  • Turn down the lights and in-store music
  • Remove the roll cages from the shop floor
  • Stop all PA announcements (except in cases of emergencies)
As of this date, there are more than 260 Woolworths branches across Australia that have been offering this initiative.

hrbYIsd44cc9ze35WidlMSNT1PS5mDXD22sev6sMYNj27YRn3fD_LDrK6ZfEkvcLxR2Pol3yJId7Q4yUv__Q82KUQ2Eh_z1o4ebgcrNAly9dxa3CDWERNBwYHI1DSbSn8A8zn5UW

Woolworths launched Quiet Hour last year to help shoppers with sensory needs. Credit: Woolworths.

In a video shared by a Woolworths worker on TikTok, he explains that Quiet Hour was made for customers with specific needs, including autism, to make their shopping experience more comfortable by reducing the overall in-store noise.

“So we turn off the PA system, turn down the music, leave our roll cages in the back dock, turn down the lights, turn off our oven buzzes and all this creates a calm environment for our customers,” he said as he demonstrated the procedures.

According to Claire Robbs, CEO of service provider organisation Life Without Barriers, “Quiet Hour is a great example of large commercial brands recognising the diversity of our community and changing their practises to embrace their community more.”

“This Woolworths initiative opens up grocery shopping to people who have different accessibility needs like sensitivities to bright lights, noises, and overstimulation.”

"People should not be restricted to taking part in their community because of their disability and Woolworths is now ensuring all shoppers are welcome and able to do the things many of us simply take for granted.”

The Quiet Hour initiative was well-received by customers last year, with plenty of people asking that the times should definitely be more often.

“I'm highly sensitive and I love quiet hour! I can finally relax and enjoy the shop,” said one person. Another added: “As a person who works with people who have autism, I can’t thank you enough. This is what makes Woolies my favourite.”

Woolworths was also not the only major supermarket offering this initiative for people with special needs. Prior to them, Coles also launched their Quiet Hour in selected stores nationwide, in partnership with Autism Spectrum Australia.

If you’re curious whether your local Coles is offering Quiet Hour, you can check here.

Have you already tried shopping during Quiet Hour at Woolworths or Coles? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
My son, in his mid thirties, doing his PhD, suffers from a very rare learning difficulty which makes writing his thoughts down very hard for him.
Over the years, he has developed strategies to help this, but part of disorder (Dysgraphia) is extreme intolerance to bright light and disorganised noise.
He wears sunglasses all year, even in shops with bright lights. He cannot travel on pubic transport during peak hour, and wears ear-plugs when at train stations in Sydney....the announcements are too loud and people chattering causes him to become disorientated and confused.
He does his shopping when it's late, so he avoids crowds.
It is an awkward problem to deal with, so Woolies catering for those who'd appreciate Quiet Hour, for whatever reasons, Well Done!

Well done Woolies. Cheers for trying to make this a more inclusive world and catering to those with special needs.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
I will be checking if my Woolworths does that & I can take my foster child at those times, looking forward to it.

Reactions: Ricci
I'm sure our local Woolies has been doing this, but it never fails that someone will come in with a screaming brat. You know those high pitched ear piercing screams they do when they don't get their own way. Quiet time no more.

What is Quiet Hour at Woolworths?

Going to the supermarket for groceries is a task that is, more often than not, stressful and overwhelming. But for people who suffer from sensory overload, have specific needs, or suffer from crowd and noise anxiety, grocery shopping can be incredibly daunting.

That’s why, with those concerns in mind, the supermarket giant Woolworths has extended its customer service to those with these conditions by introducing Quiet Hour.

Quiet Hour takes place from 10:30 am to 11:30 am daily at select Woolworths branches nationwide. During this time, the entire store will:

• Turn off bakery ovens or chicken cooker buzzers
  • Reduce the volume on store phones and registers on the trading floor
  • Clear the store’s entryways
  • Turn down the lights and in-store music
  • Remove the roll cages from the shop floor
  • Stop all PA announcements (except in cases of emergencies)
As of this date, there are more than 260 Woolworths branches across Australia that have been offering this initiative.

hrbYIsd44cc9ze35WidlMSNT1PS5mDXD22sev6sMYNj27YRn3fD_LDrK6ZfEkvcLxR2Pol3yJId7Q4yUv__Q82KUQ2Eh_z1o4ebgcrNAly9dxa3CDWERNBwYHI1DSbSn8A8zn5UW

Woolworths launched Quiet Hour last year to help shoppers with sensory needs. Credit: Woolworths.

In a video shared by a Woolworths worker on TikTok, he explains that Quiet Hour was made for customers with specific needs, including autism, to make their shopping experience more comfortable by reducing the overall in-store noise.

“So we turn off the PA system, turn down the music, leave our roll cages in the back dock, turn down the lights, turn off our oven buzzes and all this creates a calm environment for our customers,” he said as he demonstrated the procedures.

According to Claire Robbs, CEO of service provider organisation Life Without Barriers, “Quiet Hour is a great example of large commercial brands recognising the diversity of our community and changing their practises to embrace their community more.”

“This Woolworths initiative opens up grocery shopping to people who have different accessibility needs like sensitivities to bright lights, noises, and overstimulation.”

"People should not be restricted to taking part in their community because of their disability and Woolworths is now ensuring all shoppers are welcome and able to do the things many of us simply take for granted.”

The Quiet Hour initiative was well-received by customers last year, with plenty of people asking that the times should definitely be more often.

“I'm highly sensitive and I love quiet hour! I can finally relax and enjoy the shop,” said one person. Another added: “As a person who works with people who have autism, I can’t thank you enough. This is what makes Woolies my favourite.”

Woolworths was also not the only major supermarket offering this initiative for people with special needs. Prior to them, Coles also launched their Quiet Hour in selected stores nationwide, in partnership with Autism Spectrum Australia.

If you’re curious whether your local Coles is offering Quiet Hour, you can check here.

Have you already tried shopping during Quiet Hour at Woolworths or Coles? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

I was in woolies when they went “quiet”. What a lovely idea, was so peaceful. I could actually think while shopping. Thanks woolies.